Sponsored by:

Confused OnStar User - Best Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 PM
Bob A.
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks. Sort of slimy that the OnStar rep used the credit card I had on file with the dealership that I used to purchase the Jake CAI pre-PDI. Most friends activate the WiFi feature when they take long road trips, but since I have unlimited data on my phone plan, why not just plug in the phone? I get the benefit of simply pressing a button on an emergency or the system recognized a life threatening crash and automatically notifies the emergency responders, but I've never used it on any other vehicles. I checked online and get an annual rate the reduces the cost about 10% vs. monthly, but still crazy high IMO.

Funny how the dealer notifications for service, etc. are good for 10 years.

BTW MSG stands for "Medium Spiral Gray" which was my original C5 Corvette when I joined CF in 2008. I used to have it on my plate, but no one got it. They just thought I liked Chinese food.
I recently purchased my car and set up the Onstar. The rep gave me a hard date (Feb 6) to cancel by. They did ask for my credit card (slick) to give me an extra 2 months free service. All I have to do is contact them before that date to cancel the $35 per month charge.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:29 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

I get the OnStar safety and security plan...in case of theft or serious accident. I pay for unlimited wi-fi thru my AT&T mobile account. I don’t buy the navigation, the apps on my phone, Waze, Apple Maps & Google Maps work just fine with CarPlay.

Last edited by Silver C7; 11-25-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I never gave Onstar a credit card when I started the 3 month trial.... Oh they tried to pry it out of me but I flatly refused (and told them why)

Easy peasy when 3 months are up
You're right. I was stupid to give them the cc info. I had just left MacMulkin and wanted to take it for a spin before the sun went down. I wasn't thinking clearly. But it wasnt that hard to cancel it. Just kind of a waste of 10 minutes.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

My Florida dealer connected me to onstar while going over the car with me. The onstar person told me I got 30 days free or 3 month free with a credit card. I declined to give them a credit card number and just let it expire at the end of 30 days. I will also let my free one year of Sirius/XM expire at the end of 1 year. One thing about that 5 year free onstar connected access plan, you might want to go online and turn off the Smart Driver option. It collects information about speed, acceleration, and braking. Who knows how that kind of information can come back to haunt you, if say your insurance carrier got hold of it.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:15 PM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

I decided I wanted the Safety & Security plan (I daily drive my C7) and when I called to cancel the full blown service they just gave it to me for the cost of the lesser plan. Sales guy just said call back every six months to get the same deal.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:23 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

I recently renewed my 6-month free plan. $118.00 per year for the OnStar Safety and Security Plan. Seemed reasonable to me.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:19 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I just tried canceling on line but the site doesn't give me that option. Surprise! So I guess I will need to call on Monday so that I can be put on hold and bounced around for a few minutes as they try to sell me and wear me down. I may consider keeping the service if they offer me a killer annual fee, but I hate monthly service charges.
lest time I talked to them, they refused any longer than 6 months,

they will offer a “special” price for a year, it sounds good, but if you pay attention you’ll realize it works out to be regular price by the time they are done with the double talk.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:38 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

wait wait, you have to pay for the car navigation? Shut up...
Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 AM
bdutchik
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The best thing going is the WIFI. I have the unlimited plan which allows streaming of Pandora, XM and others. Much less expensive than paying for XM and the sound quality is much better from Pandora. Plus, since this is the only place I really use data, I don't have to pay the high $$ for the Verizon unliimited.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:53 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Default Hmm?

Originally Posted by Silver C7
I get the OnStar safety and security plan...in case of theft or serious accident. I pay for unlimited wi-fi thru my AT&T mobile account. I don’t buy the navigation, the apps on my phone, Waze, Apple Maps & Google Maps work just fine with CarPlay.
In case of an accident, I'll use my cell phone to call 911 and then my wife. If I can't call, I'd need more help than On Star will provide. If my car is stolen, I don't want it to be found. That's why I have insurance. I'll find a new one instead.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bdutchik
The best thing going is the WIFI. I have the unlimited plan which allows streaming of Pandora, XM and others. Much less expensive than paying for XM and the sound quality is much better from Pandora. Plus, since this is the only place I really use data, I don't have to pay the high $$ for the Verizon unliimited.
How much do you pay for that unlimited data plan?

Quick Reply: Confused OnStar User - Best Deal?