Thinking of selling my 2016 3LT silver vert - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking of selling my 2016 3LT silver vert

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my 2016 3LT silver vert

Old 11-25-2018, 12:49 PM
RETIRE15
CF Senior Member

Default Thinking of selling my 2016 3LT silver vert

this is new to me ,i may need some help.can some one kind of walk me thru this.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

List it for sale in the For Sale forum of Corvette Forum. Be certain to have an asking price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skid Row Joe For This Useful Post:
RETIRE15 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 04:14 PM
Kevin A Jones
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by RETIRE15 View Post
this is new to me ,i may need some help.can some one kind of walk me thru this.
If never sold a car and/or not sure what it's worth you may want to take it to a Carmax (if one in your area) to see what they will pay for it then consider they will sell it at a modest profit.
Or if you just want to avoid the hassle of selling it yourself some have been pleasantly surprised with how much Carmax offers. And you can typically have a check in hand in
30 minutes to an hour.

There's all kind of ways to sell it yourself including listing in this forum's for sale sub-forum. I've had very good luck with Hemmings for C2s-C3s.
And then you may want to check with below:
iBuy Luxury Cars." www.iBuyLC.com
Corvette World in Tx.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2018, 07:04 PM
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,126 Times in 876 Posts

can we start with why are you "thinking" of selling the car?

list the reasons maybe we can help you out?

I find the best way when presented with a move like this is make a list of PROS and CONS to selling the car or not having that car anymore...

you may find out you really don't want to or solidify the reasoning behind it.....
Old 11-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Zjoe6
CF Senior Member

There's a sticky on this forum in the Corvettes for sale area with tips on how to sell a car on this forum. Applies to selling it online anywhere. Check it out. Sold my C5 Z06 in 5 days.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Last edited by Zjoe6; 11-25-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:33 PM
rmorin1249
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,206 Times in 852 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

This time of year many potential buyers are looking for a great deal on a sports car. Perhaps this doesn't apply to Arizona but for sure prices usually dip in areas with cold temperatures and/or snow. GLWS if you do decide to sell.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Mayor111
CF Senior Member

First you need to determine the value... A very well respected tool is Corvette DNA. It will help you determine the value based off of year, model, and all the options you have. This should be your baseline for an asking price - cause a buyer will use this to determine their offer. Download Corvette DNA to any smartphone. As stated earlier, this time of year is when buyers try to get a Corvette for really cheap (colder regions) so make sure you're aware of this when negotiating.

Once you have the price, you will then need to advertise your car. There are several places to advertise your car. Are you in a rush to sell - then you might want to advertise on a national site such as AutoTrader.com. It costs around $50 to $70 to advertise your car (based on how long you want the ad to be shown) but you get ALOT of eyes looking at your Vette. EBay Motors is another great site to sell your Vette, but again its not free. If you have some time or you dont want to spend money advertising, then there are a few sites to consider. You can advertise here on the For Sale section or Craigslist. Folks here have had various luck here on the Forums and Craigslist, but again they are free and get alot of folks looking at your car.

The key to getting alot of interest for your car comes down to two things: Very good, focused pictures of all angles of the car (inside and out) and truthful, open and honest description of your car.

Pictures - I cant tell you how many times I've been looking for a Vette and SOOO many sellers take the dumbest pictures of their cars when trying to sell them. Why on earth does someone take a picture of their car in the dark is just beyond me. Take the time to really clean your car (inside and out, and the engine). Then on a nice sunny day, take your car to a place where its nice and can really show off your car. Take pictures from the front, sides, and rear. Take interior shots of the ENTIRE interior (not the door locks - no one cares about the door locks). Take pictures of both seats (the entire seat), not the back angle that looks like your hiding a ripped bolster. The better the pictures, the better "story" they will tell. As a buyer, it also shows me the seller isn't trying to "hide" anything because they are showing me everything from all angles.

Description - One rule when selling a car...TELL THE TRUTH. If your car has a scratch - say so and describe what happened (with a picture). If your car had an accident - say so. If the tranny gets stuck in 2nd gear - say so. If the car is truly flawless and a show winner - say so. The more truthful you are with your description, the better chance you have of getting your asking price than if you weren't. Ill give you an example. I was in the market for a C4 and found a gorgeous one about 2 hours away from me. I asked the seller to give me all the details about anything that was wrong with the car (three times) and he answered every time - "the car is absolutely perfect - nothing is wrong with the car". When I got there, the first thing I noticed was the antenna didn't go all the way down. I negotiated $500 MORE off the price we agreed to on the phone because I called him out for being dishonest and if he wanted to make a deal it would cost him...and he made the deal. Now if he was honest and said "the antenna is finicky and doesn't go down sometimes" he would have gotten another $500 more from me...

Lastly - keep it clean. When folks show up to look at the car - dont have dust brakes on the wheels or dirt on the floor mats. Take 30 min to give it a quick waterless cleaning to make it really shine, vacuum the carpets, shine the tires, get all your junk out of the cargo area...make the car as presentable as possible so the buyer can see it as "THEIR" car and not yours cause all your crap is in the car. All of these small efforts will land you closer to your asking price - I promise.

Good Luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mayor111 For This Useful Post:
Gunnmetalblue (12-17-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 AM
Parcival
CF Senior Member

I’d just add after the excellent posts already that you consider how much of a rush you are. Selling here might be a little more involved and take a little longer. Not necessarily but maybe.
Also, people seem to expect a deal this time of year.

Doesnt seem like you are replacing? Then a sale at a dealer might work out presuming you get the right deal on both sides. Typically, the dealer tries to work the profit from the tradein into his sale and it muddles whether you got a decent deal on the trade off. Right off the bat, I make it clear the tradein sale looks good for me as a stand-alone deal before I talk the new car.

Finally, make sure there’s no sign of residual oil anywhere near the coolant cap...little joke from another post!

Last edited by Parcival; 11-26-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Maxpowers
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parcival View Post
Finally, make sure there’s no sign of residual oil anywhere near the coolant cap...little joke from another post!
Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM
RETIRE15
CF Senior Member

thank you
Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM
RETIRE15
CF Senior Member

i am retired and really do not drive the car.my wife is retired ,and has a jeep grand cherokee
Old 11-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Rebel Yell
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,326 Posts

From experience of trying to private sell a Corvette I have one bit of advise. Watch out for the ones that just want to drive the car, but have no intention of buying. You can usually tell by asking a few questions. These nit wits will drive you crazy. GLWS.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:50 PM
mtaxman
CF Senior Member

How about a teaser? post a pic, tell us the miles, Manual or auto, etc.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:36 PM
bojangles
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I second the posting on NOT letting them drive the car. If they want to drive a Vette send them to a dealer. I have had to many experiences of letting them drive the Vette and the drive the HELL out of it with no intent to buy. You can take the buyer for a ride but I would discourage you to let them take the car.
Good luck on your sale
The Following User Says Thank You to bojangles For This Useful Post:
Rebel Yell (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 08:48 PM
TB427Z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones View Post
If never sold a car and/or not sure what it's worth you may want to take it to a Carmax (if one in your area) to see what they will pay for it then consider they will sell it at a modest profit.
Or if you just want to avoid the hassle of selling it yourself some have been pleasantly surprised with how much Carmax offers. And you can typically have a check in hand in
30 minutes to an hour.

There's all kind of ways to sell it yourself including listing in this forum's for sale sub-forum. I've had very good luck with Hemmings for C2s-C3s.
And then you may want to check with below:
iBuy Luxury Cars." www.iBuyLC.com
Corvette World in Tx.

Good luck!
I agree with Kevin, just go to Carmax and get a buy quote from them. You could also go to a couple Chevy dealers and see if they would buy and go with best offer. I just sold my 2016 Z06 to Carmax and was very happy with the price. Got my offer on a Saturday and then went back on Monday and was out of there with a check in about an hour. Good Luck
Old 11-27-2018, 06:47 PM
6GenVettes
CF Senior Member

I would also post it on Craigslist in Phoenix.

GLWS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my 2016 3LT silver vert

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: