C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM cutting jobs change your perspective?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 06:29 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
John A.,
Mind telling us any details on the loss of your GM Cadillac dealership in Ohio, when Cadillac pulled dealerships across the Country? Was it an amicable withdrawal by both parties? In hindsight, are you glad the change happened?
Our's was a unique situation. The store was sold and awaiting GM approval of the new owner when the bankruptcy was announced. GM exercised their right to cancel the franchise unless I agreed to remain the operator and build a new facility. When you lose multiple seven figures...it is hard to remain amicable.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:35 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 375 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes

Decisions by GM is no different than decisions by almost all companies, going back to Nixon's successful trip to China. IMHOP, that trip opened the door to cheap labor and the exodus began to China. It's all about the bottom line. Interestingly enough is the influx of foreign car manufacturers setting up plants to assemble their foreign cars right in the U.S.A., mostly in the south. That brings tons of jobs back here. It's a seesaw and hard decisions have to be made. All stock holders expect that.

Disclosure: Having said that in support of GM and stock holders everywhere, I have no stock holdings in GM or anywhere else. Should have/could have the past 10 years? Resounding YES! But my preference has been real estate sales with which I am much more comfortable. Not a sales pitch here but review www.visitsouthwalton.com and see why its worry-less for me.
Isn't that area sometimes referred to as the 'Redneck Riviera' ?
Old 11-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

By the way there are those on this forum who add their 2 cent opinions that have worked or even run their own corporations and are not just "blowing smoke"! I for one have experience and am also "P.O.ed" over GM's statements. There's a way and also a wrong way to accomplish results and I firmly believe that GM's management screwed up big time with this latest decision. All of us on this forum like GM's product, the Corvette, and should really not be happy over their decision to favor China and Mexico and screw the American workers and their customers. Stupid and short sighted and dumb ! It will bite them on their *** if they don't quickly revise their actions as soon as possible.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 PM
A. Vandelay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by at7000ft
I don't think I've heard of the area by that nickname. Wife and I bought our first condo just west of Miramar (Crystal Beach/Destin) a couple months ago. Love northwest Florida.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:29 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I don't see them reversing their decision. It's strictly a business decision with the stockholders as first priority. Wouldn't surprise me to see Tesla buy one of their "unallocated" plants.
And yes, that Beach area is known as the Redneck Riviera.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 11-28-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:53 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I am sure you already know this but they did re-structure. The so called "bail-out" was simply the government acting as the financing partner in the bankruptcy and taking a majority ownership in the company. The Admin. of the time also made all the final decisions as to what they could and could not do. Of course you already knew that the gov. was paid back with interest. Nobody would make dumb statements without knowing the true facts...would they?

I found this on Treasury.gov, I copy pasted it for you ….

On December 9, 2013 Treasury fully exited its investment in General Motors (GM). Treasury completed its fourth and final pre-arranged trading plan for the sale of its remaining 31.1 million shares. Treasury recovered a total of $39.7 billion from its original investment of $51.0 billion in GM.

Sounds like an eleven billion dollar loss to me. So I don't know, maybe someone would make dumb statements without knowing the facts.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 11-29-2018 at 12:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
thompstl1 (11-29-2018), Walt White Coupe (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:37 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Our's was a unique situation. The store was sold and awaiting GM approval of the new owner when the bankruptcy was announced. GM exercised their right to cancel the franchise unless I agreed to remain the operator and build a new facility. When you lose multiple seven figures...it is hard to remain amicable.
JohnA, that's awful. You were a legacy GM dealership your Father started as a Cadillac franchisee when you were a lad and in university, if I recall correctly.

.The fact that many manufacturers have been intent on franchisees spending millions of dollars on Taj Mahal facilities to retain their franchises is draconian.

. Lincoln Motor Co. broke numerous individuals' financial backs that borrowed, built and spent millions of dollars on facilities only to have come up short on products to sell in the 2000s decade. One such store 3 miles from my Dallas, Texas residence is testament. Very heartbreaking.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:47 AM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Then why did they recall all Camaro keys in 2015?

Originally Posted by Kent1999
"Steering Column Lockup"? You do know that was eliminated over a DECADE ago, right? Lumping that in with the "lately" tag is a stretch.

The annoyingly-persistent A8 transmission failures are indeed a big concern. However, as bad and frustrating as that is, I don't think it's threatening the life of GM Corporate.

As for me, I've had 4 daily driver C6 and C7 Corvettes in the past 15 years and hundreds of thousands of miles, with no significant failures, so the quality from my perspective has been excellent. I've always had pretty good luck with GM (especially in the last 20 years), but admittedly, I've always stayed far away from the lower tier 'price buster' models, and always owned Corvettes, Camaros, trucks & SUV's, which have been very reliable for me and my extended family.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:30 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by phil hunter
Buick Envision and Enclave are made in China and imported here. A couple of the plants that are closing could be re tooled to make them here. GM case is special because US Government bailed GM out, so GM owes something back to the US. No issue with them dropping cars that aren't selling, but am concerned about exporting US jobs after bailout. I have a Cadillac SRX, it will be my last GM SUV.

Phil
Nope, the Enclave is made in Michigan, and exported to China..... Enclave
The Lambda vehicles are built at GM's new Delta Township Assemblyplant near Lansing, Michigan, and production of the Enclave commenced on April 11, 2007,[6] with the first vehicles reaching certain dealers by the end of the month
The Envision is made in China.

Plants are closing because Americans, are not buy Chevy Impalas, they are not buying CT6 and so on. The Impala is a great car, I had one, my daughter has it now, over 150K miles on it. So far only routine maintenance, no break downs.

However Americans are buy Pick-ups, SUVs and Cross overs. My wife and I are good examples, she dosn't need an SUV as our children are gown, Yet she prefers to drive a SUV of Pick up. She has a mid size SUV, Range Rover Evoke. I need a truck to pull my boat, so I drive an F-150 crew cab. After owning GMC trucks for more then 30 years, the 2017 Denali was so behind in technology and features for an upscale truck I ended up in my first ever Non GMC Truck a Platinum.

GM has to stay competitive, no sense building what people are not buying.
Heck, FORD quit producing all cars except the Mustang...
Chrysler has cut many of their cars.

Last edited by Dave80C3; 11-29-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:06 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

GM is a business and as such it adapts to the market. I have no problem with that.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:11 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The Ford Fusion is a great car to my knowledge. My brother has a loaded Platinum Fusion. About 5 years old. .Damn comfortable car to drive/ride in. I guess Ford and Chevrolet are going to let the Asians have ALL the automobile/cars business. Geeesh!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:59 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Im a GM loyalist.
Mostly because if they only need four bolts to hold something together, they don't use five, or three. So I appreciate that.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:46 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

JohnA, that's awful. You were a legacy GM dealership your Father started as a Cadillac franchisee when you were a lad and in university, if I recall correctly.

.The fact that many manufacturers have been intent on franchisees spending millions of dollars on Taj Mahal facilities to retain their franchises is draconian.

. Lincoln Motor Co. broke numerous individuals' financial backs that borrowed, built and spent millions of dollars on facilities only to have come up short on products to sell in the 2000s decade. One such store 3 miles from my Dallas, Texas residence is testament. Very heartbreaking.
That is not true. My father was a hard working factory worker from Appalachia.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

The Ford Fusion is a great car to my knowledge. My brother has a loaded Platinum Fusion. About 5 years old. .Damn comfortable car to drive/ride in. I guess Ford and Chevrolet are going to let the Asians have ALL the automobile/cars business. Geeesh!
I don't see it as GM and Ford letting the other brands have the car/sedan business they simply lost focus decades ago and have not produced anything significant since. GM and Ford have been producing mediocre sedans for a really long time while all of the others have been focusing on making their products THE BEST. We have always had at least one sedan or coupe in the garage at all times whether it was something I drove, my wife drove or one of the kids drove. At any point in time I cannot remember ever comparing available options and saying to myself, wow this GM or Ford product is the best of the best. Never once in at least 3 decades of comparison shopping and ultimately purchasing.

I don't buy any product based on where it's assembled or where the mother ship is headquartered. That's buying with blinders on. When I cut a check and give up any of my hard earned cash it goes to the product I deem the best value for my dollar. Not a single GM or Ford sedan or coupe has ever crested that bar.....

Last edited by JDSKY; 11-29-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by RiCorvette
I am quite annoyed at the SUV and Truck popularity trend; I absolutely HATE being behind these big-arsed rolling billboards - I can't see the road ahead,
so I'm a d1ck and zoom past 'em at first opportunity

I was reading that these changes have something to do with Trumpian MAGAnomics, beside trimming unpopular products it could/should lead to manufacturing returning to the U.S. .

Say what? Are you seriously blaming the President?
The following 2 users liked this post by Phanni:
Apocolips (11-29-2018), Rebel Yell (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I found this on Treasury.gov, I copy pasted it for you ….

On December 9, 2013 Treasury fully exited its investment in General Motors (GM). Treasury completed its fourth and final pre-arranged trading plan for the sale of its remaining 31.1 million shares. Treasury recovered a total of $39.7 billion from its original investment of $51.0 billion in GM.

Sounds like an eleven billion dollar loss to me. So I don't know, maybe someone would

make dumb statements without knowing the facts.
In 2010, both GM and the Government announced that their loans had been paid in full with interest. There were even a series of TV commercials touting this claim. Immediately there was a conflict that started with these claims and how they were achieved and how the "score" was being kept. Ultimately in 2014 the Gov. sold the last of their holdings in ALLY Bank and the 10.2-11.2 billion dollar loss figure was introduced. Politics as usual.

There are few who will now argue that the automotive bailout saved around 1.5 million jobs for this country. There has certainly been a purposely forgotten thought process of just how dire the economy was when the "bailout" was done. The fear at the time was the coming of the second World Depression.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:25 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

In 2010, both GM and the Government announced that their loans had been paid in full with interest. There were even a series of TV commercials touting this claim. Immediately there was a conflict that started with these claims and how they were achieved and how the "score" was being kept. Ultimately in 2014 the Gov. sold the last of their holdings in ALLY Bank and the 10.2-11.2 billion dollar loss figure was introduced. Politics as usual.

There are few who will now argue that the automotive bailout saved around 1.5 million jobs for this country. There has certainly been a purposely forgotten thought process of just how dire the economy was when the "bailout" was done. The fear at the time was the coming of the second World Depression.
So 51 billion, minus 39.7 billion, equals 11.3 billion in losses, which sounds like mathematics, not politics.
The following users liked this post:
thompstl1 (11-30-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To GM cutting jobs change your perspective?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:41 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Phanni
Say what? Are you seriously blaming the President?
When someone cant think for themselves, they rely on other people for decision making. So when things go wrong, they automatically blame someone else. This becomes habit forming, and frequently leads to misplaced blame.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 11-29-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:45 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
By the way there are those on this forum who add their 2 cent opinions that have worked or even run their own corporations and are not just "blowing smoke"! I for one have experience and am also "P.O.ed" over GM's statements. There's a way and also a wrong way to accomplish results and I firmly believe that GM's management screwed up big time with this latest decision. All of us on this forum like GM's product, the Corvette, and should really not be happy over their decision to favor China and Mexico and screw the American workers and their customers. Stupid and short sighted and dumb ! It will bite them on their *** if they don't quickly revise their actions as soon as possible.
I appreciate your thoughts but there are some facts that many leave out. We celebrate and assist monetarily those automotive companies that build plants in the U.S. Most all the major manufactures have built factories here not because it is cheaper to produce in the U.S. but because this has been the largest vehicle market in the world.

Now, China has surpassed the U.S. in vehicle market size by a very large margin. While we celebrated BMW coming to South Carolina and granted huge financial incentives for them to do so, we are going to roundly criticize GM for building vehicles in the much larger China market. A market where most all the world's auto companies are involved. I personally would think it to be bad business for GM to close those factories building vehicles that are selling well in the market.

You can try but unlikely to get it both ways. How can we demand cars sold here be built here but criticize our own companies for doing the same in other markets?

Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default Emerald Coast Q

Originally Posted by at7000ft
Originally Posted by A. Vandelay

I don't think I've heard of the area by that nickname. Wife and I bought our first condo just west of Miramar (Crystal Beach/Destin) a couple months ago. Love northwest Florida.
Miramar Beach on the Emerald Coast in NW FL is not to be confused with Miramar just North of N. Miami. There is also another Crystal Beach some 10 miles N of Clearwater.

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I don't see them reversing their decision. It's strictly a business decision with the stockholders as first priority. Wouldn't surprise me to see Tesla buy one of their "unallocated" plants.
And yes, that Beach area is known as the Redneck Riviera.
So as not to deviate from this thread topic, I refer you to "The Official Florida Relocate Thread"
which is a useful/interesting read and which answers that Q early on:
https://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=3987105

Last edited by cor28vettes; 11-29-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: clarity on location location

Quick Reply: GM cutting jobs change your perspective?