A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:45 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Jen has the real deal now, lol

Originally Posted by jenfioreally

As some of you know, I have a 2019 Grand Sport and have had the bent/cracked wheel plague.
At about 700 miles the two front wheels bent... they were on order for 13 weeks before they were delivered. The dealership said they changed part #s and that was the holdup. But then I was also told that GM changed vendors so maybe GM knows there is an issue and tried a different vendor...
In the meantime while I was waiting on those two wheels the back passenger wheel cracked. Then dealership warranteed it because it was in the seam. So, I read on here to send Mary Barra an email so I did. In a few days I got a call from GM executive resolution DEPT. They opened a case and I was pushing for them to warranty the front ones too. I knew EXACTLY when it happened and there is no way those should have bent. I was going about 30mph and rolled over a small joint in the road.
At this point I’m starting to have second thoughts on owning this car. I mean if I can’t drive it on NORMAL road conditions then it’s not for me.
So GM is still in contact calling me daily to see if the wheels have come in. At 12 weeks I get the back one (which is the old vendor#) and 13 weeks my front ones come in.
GM offered us a “wheel and tire” insurance plan and we accepted. I do believe the reason they won’t warranty them because that opens up a can of worms because GM KNOWS the wheels are problems.
So if you are having problems, CALL GM and push the issue.
Back to my timeline~
6 days after I get the front wheels I have a flat (ran over something and it gouged the tire) ironically the girl from GM calls while we are sitting on the side of the road.
I’m LIVID by this point! We sat for 3 hrs after the GM lady said she was forwarding us to roadside assistance. I ended up leaving my car at a business all weekend since it was Thanksgiving holiday. I’m thinking this is unbelievable, especially since this is my special ordered replacement car from a PREVIOUS GM ordeal on a 2016 z51.
So on the Monday after the holiday weekend I get it towed to the dealership and they racked it and guess what? I have 3 bent wheels!!! So this “wheel and tire” insurance that GM has bought us was getting ready to see if it actually paid off. The dealership was clueless on how to file it so I got involved and was the mediator between the two.
They came through and paid the claims.
I got a new tire... one wheel repaired and two new wheels!
So if you have bent/cracked wheels call GM... push for them to take responsibility.
It can be done!
GM also gave us a $1000.00 accessory certificate I’m guessing for the hassle we’ve gone through.

Ok so here’s where it gets GOOD!
A few on here told us to sever ourselves from this bent wheel issue.
So I began the search for Forged wheels (from reading on here that’s what we needed)
Gerry with CW4L has been great! Convincing my husband on why we needed to buy them after we had just gone through the nightmare and had new ones was not easy. I also had to convince him we needed the all season tires to go with new wheels. HANDS DOWN it has been the best decision we’ve made!
I knew when these wheels arrived and I opened the box the quality SOLD ME!
Since I had hand washed the OEM and had been up and close to them I could tell the difference at first glance. My analogy is like comparing a DIAMOND to a CZ... I’m completely sold on them and now I’m wanting another set in a different finish. Lol you know how women love shoes.
So my OEM are sitting in the garage and will go back on the car if I trade or sell.
The car drives now like it’s supposed to. No more tire hop... no more feeling like I’m jiggling side to side. The car actually feels grounded and not like riding on marbles. We got it out on the highway at 120 and it handles PERFECT! For the ones that like those summer tires... do yourself a favor and ditch them. They may be great for the track, but on daily driving they suck!!

Gerry... Thank you for everything you’ve done and for answering every question we’ve had.
I love love my car again and the ride is unbelievable!

This is what I went with •~•
Forgeline VX1 monoblock concave 19/20 in tinted brushed clear.

EDITED to add Pics the A/S tires with the sizes.

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Old 09-08-2020, 03:25 PM
2019GS_NC
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jen. As a new member of Corvette Forum, I’ve been researching the C7 Grand Sport cracked rim demon that has finally bit me after just over 1 yr. of ownership. I came across your thread and the final solution – Forgeline VX1’s, and wanted to describe my situation and then see if you had any further comments or advice that would help me through this - given that more time has now passed. Regardless of how this all goes with Chevy/GM, I also wanted to specifically ask how things have gone with your Forgeline VX1 rims, now that you've had the for approx. 1.5 yrs. They look really nice and I am of course now searching for my own permanent solution to this problem.

Here’s MY story thus far....

Purchased new in July 2019 (outside my home state – shipped to home); also purchased extended wheel/tire warranty via dealership – warranty is with Maximus Auto Group – Maximum Tire and Wheel Protection – after the dealership sort of hinted me into it by mentioning that ‘some people have had some problems with wheels due to low profile wheels/tires that are easy to damage, etc. and you may want to consider the extra warranty. I bit….

Researched this issue on/off every since 1st purchase, and just hoped and prayed that I did not get caught-up into this scenario, and have tried to drive accordingly in hopes of holding off the problem.
1st noted tire pressure loss during a trip just over a week ago – late Aug. 2020.

Upon return home I had the tire checked and (3) cracks were discovered in my right-rear rim. The other 3 looked ok (no cracks seen and no noticeable bumpy ride that I’ve noted so far).

With notification of the cracked rim, I immediately put in a claim with the add-on warranty with Maximus. They promptly sent someone to my home to investigate, take photos, etc., and within 24 hrs. denied the claim, noting that they could see the damage was not caused by any abuse or road hazards on my part; instead they said that it was a ‘manufacturing defect’ in the rim.

I next made an appointment with my local Chevy dealership, and that occurred today. Of course I was promptly told that GM didn't cover the problem. Instead, they offered to get the cracks welded with their 3rd party provider nearby to the tune of approx. $160 out of my pocket. Due to the add-on warranty issue, I decided that I should 1st revisit that and push them on the coverage before having ANYTHING done to the rims.

I next politely pressed further with the dealership, and the manager told me he would raise the issue with GM again and get back with me within 24 hrs...so I’m hoping for some positive news there. We’ll see, as I'm now in a holding pattern until I hear back from Chevy/GM - hopefully tomorrow, and from there I hit-up the add-on warranty company once more if I get no love from GM.

Last edited by 2019GS_NC; 09-08-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:55 AM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

Some folks have won the battle with GM by going to the BBB...

Quick Reply: A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague