Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague

Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague

I am pretty sure something is trying to tell me not to own a corvette.

I had a 2005 convertible that my husband bought me in 2011... I loved that car, never had one bit of problem with it. In 2015 I wanted a new one in white like my 2005 and he said he’d get me one. March 2016 I started to order one but my FIL passed away and I didn’t get a chance to get in to order. So May came and I was impatient so I settled for a silver 2016 Z51 they had on the showroom floor.

It had 70 miles on it new and at 960 miles it backfired, thought it was bad gas. 3000 miles the left lifter went out, they fixed it at and 2 days later the right lifter, cam bearing and AFM broke.... the cam bearing was on back order for 3 months so they decided to replace the engine. They bumped the front end and got grease on my carpet and interior while in their possession. When I got it back, the torque tube started a vibration and they tried 3 times fixing that. Then they decided it was the torque converter and not the torque tube. They also replaced the exhaust because of carbon buildup making some flap not open and close right.
The GM guy came and fixed it and 250 miles later and the FIRST time through all this the check engine light came on.
We dropped the car off at the dealership and said “we won’t be back to get it and our attorney will be in contact”. They also threatened to file theft charges if we didn’t return the rental car. Our attorney sent letters, filed lemon law and NO RESPONSE whatsoever. It literally sat one year...while we made payments and shared a car. Talk about seeing how strong your marriage is...that was a true test!
It took our attorney taking it to GM before it was resolved.
We came out happy with the resolution from GM and the opportunity to buy a new one special ordered at a better price (can’t say $$)
but I chose a 2019 GS instead of the 2016 Z51 I had.
So, I got my car and drove away from the dealership that ordered it. 1 week later I took it for my 500 mile oil change at a closer dealership, I noticed they lowered my tire pressure. I asked why and they said “you had 38#s and it’s supposed to have 30 per sill plate”. So 3 days later I had to take it back because they didn’t have the correct oil. I mentioned I felt a vibration. They racked it and I had 2 bent rims on the front. Was it from the overinflated tires? We will never know.
13 weeks my rims were on order... GM changed vendors so I had to wait for them and they said they don’t fall under warranty because it was from “road hazard”.
At 10 weeks my back passenger rim cracked... they warranteed it. So I started pushing for GM to take responsibility on these rims that are bending like play doh.
I sent this Mary Barra an email and in 2 days a woman from GM executive resolution dept called. Can I just say that is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen. They are a incompetent, crisis hotline and have been no help whatsoever. They won’t warranty the rims but...They offered us the “wheel and tire protection plan” on 11-19...well on 11-21 I had a flat and she just happened to call for the rim issue while we were sitting on the side of a highway the day before Thanksgiving. How ironic is that?!?
She apologized and said she would get roadside assistance on the phone. 3 hrs later waiting for tow truck dispatch I decided to call to check status.
Roadside assistance dept took my VIN and said “mam, I see your car was made in Canada so I have to transfer you to the Canadian roadside assistance.” I argued with her saying my car was NOT but it wasn’t getting anywhere so I let her transfer me. They said “no you are in the US” so I’ll transfer you to that Dept. I’m about to lose my mind because I have a car full of Thanksgiving food and our friends have to drive an hr to come get us. Plus I had to leave my car at a business until Monday. Monday I had it towed... it not only has a flat but guess what?!? I have 3 bent rims! The one they replaced on the front 6 days before, the cracked one they replaced because of the crack on the back and the other back one.
So this makes a total of 5 bent rims and one cracked rim in 15 weeks!!!
So here it is and I’m still in contact with this “resolution dept” and trying to make a claim on this “wheel and tire protection” plan they offered...but they can’t answer anything nor give me a policy number and I’m waiting for this email that I’m supposed to be getting that has that info on it. Honestly, I think they are lying to me and are giving me the run around and trying to make me just get frustrated and give up.
Yes, I’m angry and disappointed and every other emotion you can imagine at this point. I’m not a wreckless driver and it’s not my first Corvette. I’ve only had one flat in my whole 35 years as a driver and never ever bent a rim, so this is absurd!
I know there are others here that have had the issues with their rims and this is unacceptable and GM needs to own up and take responsibility for it.
They won’t warranty them because that opens the door to admitting there is an issue and they would be replacing a lot of rims. But, let someone get hurt or killed because of inferior rims and then they may open their eyes!
I’m getting these rims off my car ASAP but I will not let them off the hook and I won’t stop, just like I did with my 2016 lemon . What’s right is right and wrong is wrong... and this is WRONG on every level!!!
Maybe we all need to call this executive resolution dept and blow their phone lines up until we get answers!!!
4000.00 for chrome rims when I ordered the car then 1700.00 for two new front rims and another 1000.00 for tire and now looking at 6000.00 for aftermarket rims.
That’s a LOT of money in 15 weeks!

AND, if if I hear one more time “I’m so sorry you are having these problems with your beautiful 2019 black corvette” from the GM RESOLUTION dept I may just snap.
And, I have a legitimate excuse, I’m hormonal and forced to share a car with my husband while listening to Metallica and Judas Priest at 7am....
The following 2 users liked this post by jenfioreally:
MMD (12-21-2018), sadgsowner (03-15-2019)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:57 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issues. my bruddha and I were both reminiscing over turkey day dinner just how reliable our c6's and also his c5's were.

but the good news is....you have an issue that is severable from the whole car...rims. i have a '17 z51 c7 with the GM factory black rims. They went 2k, no bends, no cracks, no problems. Then i bought aftermarket real cheap z06 replica black rims for $700 to mount my michelin all-seasons, and they have been perfect. i have had no issues with the cheap rims, no issues balancing and 2600 miles later their finish is still perfect, the rims have no cracks, flats or rolling issues. i kept the original tires and rims in case i sell the car and i will refit them; but the michelin all seasons are soooo much better tires!

u know more about getting GM to make bad right than i ever hope to have to; but after the right is made and you have the same rims as before, just new, think about getting some aftermarket rims. So GM has a bad design and won't admit it or resolve it with a new style rim or supplier, what else is new? Do a nike, just do it (yourself) and fit new rims, keep the originals you get replaced to fit back on the car when you sell it.

Don't let a set of wheels ruin you pleasure with your new bahgain GS!

Last edited by SilverGhost; 11-29-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:12 AM
spc54
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's about how I feel with GM right now. Good luck with everything... the Corvette was my dream car. I have a 14 and would LOVE to get a GS or Z06 but seems as if they have more issues than mine. Good luck with everything.
The following users liked this post:
frankb (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:01 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Sorry to hear of your issues. my bruddha and I were both reminiscing over turkey day dinner just how reliable our c6's and also his c5's were.

but the good news is....you have an issue that is severable from the whole car...rims. i have a '17 z51 c7 with the GM factory black rims. They went 2k, no bends, no cracks, no problems. Then i bought aftermarket real cheap z06 replica black rims for $700 to mount my michelin all-seasons, and they have been perfect. i have had no issues with the cheap rims, no issues balancing and 2600 miles later their finish is still perfect, the rims have no cracks, flats or rolling issues. i kept the original tires and rims in case i sell the car and i will refit them; but the michelin all seasons are soooo much better tires!

u know more about getting GM to make bad right than i ever hope to have to; but after the right is made and you have the same rims as before, just new, think about getting some aftermarket rims. So GM has a bad design and won't admit it or resolve it with a new style rim or supplier, what else is new? Do a nike, just do it (yourself) and fit new rims, keep the originals you get replaced to fit back on the car when you sell it.

Don't let a set of wheels ruin you pleasure with your new bahgain GS!
You are so right! Severable is absolutely the best way to look at it. I have been hesitant about even posting because I’m tired of it all. I’m just in hopes us that have the problems can rally together and get GM to listen.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:08 AM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

When you have a clear cut lemon law issue, the last thing you want to do is get a lawyer involved. I've seen them muck up every easy lemon law buyback. We have one right now that a really cool customer bought a GS and the check light kept coming on and we figure that there is some bad wiring somewhere and we couldn't find it(nor could the fiels engineer) his buyback was going smoothly and for some reason a lawyer became involved and dropped a cease and desist on gm....worst move ever.
Are lemon laws fun?nope. Are they a huge inconvenience to the customer?YUP. But GM is pretty good about buybacks from what I have seen and I have seen quite a few manufacturers in action.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Ugh... I'd feel the exact same way you do if I was you. I can't believe the incredible bad luck you've had with your cars and both in such short time frames! And lots of $$$ spent!

Every time a read a story like this, I get worried that I made the right decision buying mine. It's my first Vette and I've only had it a few months and really haven't driven it a lot. I've already decided the moment it gives me problems, I'm trading it in. Too many other great cars out there. Of course, I'm hoping mine gives me many problem free miles, but I'm also prepared for one of the numerous problems to crop up as well.

Keep us posted on everything!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:13 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I went through the BBB and GM bought my 16 back and it was pretty smooth. I now have a 17 GS very happy with but there is a problem with the GS wheels. My orig. wheels are in the basement in boxes, not bent but just changed out. I bought a set of C7 Z06 chrome wheels for my 17GS and love them. Good luck with your issues.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

sorry for your **** poor car issues, has to be terrible. (and your husbands choice of bands)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Then i bought aftermarket real cheap z06 replica black rims for $700 to mount my michelin all-seasons, and they have been perfect. i have had no issues with the cheap rims, no issues balancing and 2600 miles later their finish is still perfect, the rims have no cracks, flats or rolling issues.!
This is my plan if I bend one. Can consider them an annual consumable.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:28 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
When you have a clear cut lemon law issue, the last thing you want to do is get a lawyer involved. I've seen them muck up every easy lemon law buyback. We have one right now that a really cool customer bought a GS and the check light kept coming on and we figure that there is some bad wiring somewhere and we couldn't find it(nor could the fiels engineer) his buyback was going smoothly and for some reason a lawyer became involved and dropped a cease and desist on gm....worst move ever.
Are lemon laws fun?nope. Are they a huge inconvenience to the customer?YUP. But GM is pretty good about buybacks from what I have seen and I have seen quite a few manufacturers in action.
I wish it could have resolved without going that route. The dealership wouldn’t help, GM kept changing resolution advisors so 5-6 times I had to tell them the story again. Apparently the dealer was not getting approvals to do the repairs because it wasn’t in the system that I even had a new engine.
I’m not trying to repeat what happened by no means...these are rims and not engine problems so I can deal with this.
What I do have an issue with... it was ok to drive the car with bent rims for 13 weeks but it’s not ok to try and straighten them. 🤷🏼*♀️
I’m done... I’m over it... and I love my car.
Its just money and it’s a good thing we can afford to swap them out and just suck it up.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:30 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by iw172
sorry for your **** poor car issues, has to be terrible. (and your husbands choice of bands)
lol I like the music.., just not 7am and no coffee!
Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carvin
This is my plan if I bend one. Can consider them an annual consumable.
a good move for sure!

Hmmmm I wonder if you can order one minus tires and rims? 🤔
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:34 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I went through the BBB and GM bought my 16 back and it was pretty smooth. I now have a 17 GS very happy with but there is a problem with the GS wheels. My orig. wheels are in the basement in boxes, not bent but just changed out. I bought a set of C7 Z06 chrome wheels for my 17GS and love them. Good luck with your issues.
I'm glad to hear that the BBB was able to help you. Mine was in the shop 17 times and it surely qualified for the lemon law.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:40 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sconn
Ugh... I'd feel the exact same way you do if I was you. I can't believe the incredible bad luck you've had with your cars and both in such short time frames! And lots of $$$ spent!

Every time a read a story like this, I get worried that I made the right decision buying mine. It's my first Vette and I've only had it a few months and really haven't driven it a lot. I've already decided the moment it gives me problems, I'm trading it in. Too many other great cars out there. Of course, I'm hoping mine gives me many problem free miles, but I'm also prepared for one of the numerous problems to crop up as well.

Keep us posted on everything!
This is why I haven’t posted about my unfortunate bad luck. We have always been a GM family. We’ve owned 10...and 4 were corvettes. My parents were GM consumers owning probably 12 in their lifetime. I love my car, and please don’t let my story change you.

Hopefully I’ll get my new rims soon and will back on the road rolling and enjoying it.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jenfioreally

I wish it could have resolved without going that route. The dealership wouldn’t help, GM kept changing resolution advisors so 5-6 times I had to tell them the story again. Apparently the dealer was not getting approvals to do the repairs because it wasn’t in the system that I even had a new engine.
I’m not trying to repeat what happened by no means...these are rims and not engine problems so I can deal with this.
What I do have an issue with... it was ok to drive the car with bent rims for 13 weeks but it’s not ok to try and straighten them. ����*♀️
I’m done... I’m over it... and I love my car.
Its just money and it’s a good thing we can afford to swap them out and just suck it up.
You can't get anything under warranty without it being tied to the VIN unless the dealer was committing warranty fraud. No offense but your explanation is not making sense.

Edit:Glad you love the new car.

Last edited by Jackie Chan; 11-29-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,218 Likes on 13,928 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

What a nightmare you have been going through. Sure hope that you can get some resolution from GM and it works out positive for you.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:05 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear of the problems with your car, and also with GM. These type of stories on how GM handles problems are beginning to pop up quite often. I have no viable observations that can help you, but I do wish you luck. My '16 has two continuing problems, but not at the magnitude of your '16. I do enjoy the C7, but have often wished I would have kept my C6.

Get notified of new replies

To A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague

Old 11-29-2018, 02:06 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
You can't get anything under warranty without it being tied to the VIN unless the dealer was committing warranty fraud. No offense but your explanation is not making sense.

Edit:Glad you love the new car.
when my left lifter went out (first time it was in the shop Oct 24) they ordered a brand new engine and it was sitting there from NOV 1 to the end of December before they installed it. I can assure you GM didn’t approve a new engine for a lifter going out.
was the engine ordered because they knew there was more damage than what was showing? Was it approved for someone else because they had problems and that person gave up and traded...We won’t ever know.
I just know that when I was talking with GM they changed advisors on us 3-4 times and every time I explained. How I got a new engine and then not have it documented... I will never know.

Last edited by jenfioreally; 11-29-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:13 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,889 Likes on 1,297 Posts

The angels must love me..... for 15 years I've been reading forum members having horrible experiences with their Corvettes. I've been DDing Vettes for 30 years (come January) and more than 700,000 miles... few, very few problems - and all small. Popping tops, end links needing replacement, tensioner or two.... otherwise, just no problems. As I said: The angels must love me.... (and I'm glad they do)....
Old 11-29-2018, 02:32 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Lets be honest, GM is a **** company right now. Not long ago they needed a government bailout. Now they're cutting back on domestic labor despite the fact our country is their biggest market and we saved them from bankruptcy. And the way they are handling the issues with the C7 is a freaking disgrace. When Tadge was asked about it he claimed he knew nothing about the issue - what a complete crock of ****. Rims are not consumables. I've been driving cars for 27 years and I've never bent or cracked a rim, and I've driven some cars like a freaking maniac. Add to that the paint issues and the A8 driveline issues, and GM looks like a steaming pile of *****.

I love my corvette and I've been a lifelong GM fan, but if I have any issues I'm bailing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague