Sponsored by:

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Please tell me I'm wrong.

I have been E-Mailing a sponsored seller on this site and we are not agreeing on the shipping fees. As this is still being handled civilly on both sides I won't mention who it is. I bought an item from him, he charged my credit card for the item AND SHIPPING. It was the wrong item for my car, my fault. I have offered to pay for the correct part and shipping and to pay for shipping for the incorrect part (new, unopened) back to him if he will refund my first payment. He has agreed to refund my money for the item, but not the shipping.

My contention is that I will be paying shipping for four items being shipped, while only three are actually being shipped.

1. I payed him for shipping the original item.
2. I will pay to ship the original item back, unopened, new.
3. I will pay for a new, correct item, and it's shipping.
4. Why do I not get a refund on the original item and it's shipping cost. I already paid for the shipping costs, he didn't. Why shouldn't I get a refund on the cost of the original item's shipping cost, which I already paid?

Please tell me I'm wrong and why?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

You said the first item was your fault, so shouldn't it be you that eats the cost of the shipping on it? It would seem unfair to have him absorb a cost that is due to your mistake. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but that's my take from one read!

You make it sound like a decision as to who gets the REFUND on the original shipping, but I doubt there is one, right?

Last edited by davepl; 11-29-2018 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:43 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Sounds like normal business practice. You paid to have the wrong part delivered to you. Why should they reimburse you for something that wasn’t their fault. They would be out those funds as they pay the shipper.

Years ago I ordered a weight bench online and it was over $100 shipped. They took the bench back but I was out the shipping.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:45 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Sounds right to me. If you ordered the wrong part and they charge shipping you get to east shipping. Why should they lose money because you ordered the wrong part?

Last edited by subieworx; 11-29-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:53 AM
ant812
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

you paid HIM for the original shipping and in turn he took that money and paid UPS, FEDEX, or WHOEVER to actually ship it. that money is gone.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

I already paid for the shipping of the original item and am willing to pay to ship it back. I shouldn't have to pay 4 shipping charges when items are being shipped 3 times.

I am willing to pay for shipping every item, each way, but not pay an additional shipping charge when no item is being moved.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:05 AM
ant812
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
I already paid for the shipping of the original item and am willing to pay to ship it back. I shouldn't have to pay 4 shipping charges when items are being shipped 3 times.

I am willing to pay for shipping every item, each way, but not pay an additional shipping charge when no item is being moved.
didn't the wrong item get shipped from him to you? you paid that, but you don't get that back. the shipper now has that money, not the seller. and they don't care that you made a mistake.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:17 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ant812
didn't the wrong item get shipped from him to you? you paid that, but you don't get that back. the shipper now has that money, not the seller. and they don't care that you made a mistake.
Count how many times an item is being shipped, and then count how many times he wants me to pay for. Three items shipped, pay for four? How is that fair?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:18 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I question your math. You're paying 4 shipping charges or 3? I count 3 - one to ship from seller to you, one to send it back and finally one to ship the new item. Where's #4?

Additionally I don't know why you said no item is being moved. The original item was "moved" from the seller to you, then moved from you back to the seller. That's 1 item but 2 moves. Finally the new item is being "moved" to you. Where's the item that doesn't move?

It was you who messed up, not the seller. As such the seller shouldn't lose any money in this transaction. Own up to your own mistake and pay the freight. BTW, mistakes such as these can be expensive.
The following 2 users liked this post by defaria:
blkvet6 (11-29-2018), Majorhavok (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:23 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Yes how are you paying 4 shipping charges?
They are sending 2 items to you and you are sending one back. Where is the 4th?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 AM
Har-ray
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

You are wrong
The following 2 users liked this post by Har-ray:
Cubby558 (11-29-2018), Harris (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
I question your math. You're paying 4 shipping charges or 3? I count 3 - one to ship from seller to you, one to send it back and finally one to ship the new item. Where's #4?

Additionally I don't know why you said no item is being moved. The original item was "moved" from the seller to you, then moved from you back to the seller. That's 1 item but 2 moves. Finally the new item is being "moved" to you. Where's the item that doesn't move?

It was you who messed up, not the seller. As such the seller shouldn't lose any money in this transaction. Own up to your own mistake and pay the freight. BTW, mistakes such as these can be expensive.
Originally Posted by saleen556
Yes how are you paying 4 shipping charges?
They are sending 2 items to you and you are sending one back. Where is the 4th?
Exactly. How does the OP come up with a 4th shipping charge?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by defaria

That's three items moved but by not refunding the shipping charge I'm being charged for four moves.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Sent you an item = 1 item and 1 shipping charge
You returned the item = 1 item and 1 shipping charge
You got a new item = 1 item one shipping charge

Seller is giving you money back for the returned item since you no longer have it, but the shipping is on you since it was your mistake.

What am I missing?
The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:41 AM
SGZ51
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, I think the underlying issue is that the vendor used the funds you provided for shipping from the original order to pay to ship the item to you. Those funds were paid to a carrier (i.e. Fedex, UPS, etc). The vendor would not get a refund on that payment from the carrier. So if we only deal with the first item:

ITEM #1 (hypothetical numbers)
Customer pays $100 for the item and $5 for shipping.
Vendor pays $5 to Fedex to ship to customer
Customer pays $5 to Fedx to return to vendor
Vendor refunds customer $100 of the item

In the end:
The $100 and $100 cancels out to $0
The original $5 and $5 cancels out to $0
The last $5 is what is left that the customer is responsible for.

The 3 other times you ordered, you should be paying for the item + shipping.

Overall Total items: 4
Total returns: 1
Total one-way shipping costs: 5 (4 Items to customer + 1 Item back to Vendor)

Last edited by SGZ51; 11-29-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:43 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I’m going to answer your post title: you’re wrong...
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 AM
Vette_z07
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol, where is the 4th charge coming from then?

Your in the wrong dude, you don't deserve to be refunded the original shipping price as it was your mistake. You paid to have the wrong part shipped to you, now you have to pay to get the wrong part shipped back, then pay to get the right part shipped to you.

3 shipping charges for an item being shipped 3 seperate times.

The seller paid the shipper to ship the wrong part you ordered so that money is gone. If he refunds you the shipping cost then he is in the negatives do to your mistake.

Get notified of new replies

To Please tell me I'm wrong.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

That's three items moved but by not refunding the shipping charge I'm being charged for four moves.
SHOW YOUR WORK!

I see 3 moves:
  1. Move #1 from seller -> you
  2. Move #2 from you back -> seller
  3. Move #3 from seller (new item) -> you
If you really believe there is a 4th move then tell us 1) what item was it and 2) which direction it was going? I'm damn curious...
Old 11-29-2018, 10:59 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry but sounds like the vendor is right and you are wrong

I have been E-Mailing a sponsored seller on this site and we are not agreeing on the shipping fees. As this is still being handled civilly on both sides I won't mention who it is. I bought an item from him, he charged my credit card for the item AND SHIPPING. It was the wrong item for my car, my fault. I have offered to pay for the correct part and shipping and to pay for shipping for the incorrect part (new, unopened) back to him if he will refund my first payment. He has agreed to refund my money for the item, but not the shipping.

My contention is that I will be paying shipping for four items being shipped, while only three are actually being shipped.

1. I payed him for shipping the original item.
2. I will pay to ship the original item back, unopened, new.
3. I will pay for a new, correct item, and it's shipping.
4. Why do I not get a refund on the original item and it's shipping cost. I already paid for the shipping costs, he didn't. Why shouldn't I get a refund on the cost of the original item's shipping cost, which I already paid?

Please tell me I'm wrong and why?
Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Count how many times an item is being shipped, and then count how many times he wants me to pay for. Three items shipped, pay for four? How is that fair?
How did you pay four shipping costs? I heard original item your fault back and forth (2x) + new item (1x).

To borrow from a movie, "explain it to me like i'm a four yr old."

Last edited by Parcival; 11-29-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Please tell me I'm wrong.