C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket remote start for M7?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Aftermarket remote start for M7?

I posted this question in the Z06 discussion forum, but got no bites so I figured I'd expand it to this forum as it applies to all C7s. Has anyone added remote start to their manual C7? If so, please hop on over here and chime in https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598424747 Thanks!
Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Cars driven in warmer climes don't need it (other than for the "gee whiz" factor) and many of those in the frigid parts of the country are garaged for the winter, making the number of likely owners so inclined a small group.
To do this safely would require bypassing the clutch sensing relay, adding a neutral sensing relay and adding a third relay to parallel the start button function, after confirming how the start button interfaces with the car's computer and starting system. To activate the system, a wireless remote receiver and transmitter would be necessary...
The technology is available, and an Arduino system could be built to do the controlling, but I suspect the benefit/effort ratio is too low for most owners, but would be interesting to see how someone did it.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:25 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

People in warmer climes[sic] have days when it gets cold. Indeed even here in Arizona we have snow in the higher elevations. And not everybody in colder parts of the country garage their vettes. IOW this is not black and white thus your premise is a false dichotomy.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:40 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Also, people in warmer climates use remote start for cooling the interior. It’s doable but I wouldn’t want it on my manual.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:50 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Good point.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:57 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

Folks in cooler climes who travel to warmer climes really appreciate the remote start for cooling down the interior. However, I have to agree that the benefit/effort ratio mentioned above might make it not worth doing.

Also, dichotomy is a little too big of a word to be used by someone who who doesn't know what clime means..
Old 12-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Old 12-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by defaria
People in warmer climes[sic]
Got em!

And you're absolutely right. I'm in Charleston SC where it's rarely below freezing but it still gets cold, and I DO garage my car, but I'd still like remote start. Not just that, but having to hold the clutch in while starting the car is annoying to me. I have never in my driving life left my car in gear unless on a steep hill. We don't have those here in the low country. I don't understand why anyone leaves it in gear. That's what the PARKING brake is for. I digress, I've got a shop that's willing to do it for me. Hopefully they can figure it out, since it doesn't seem like anyone here has done it or knows how to.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:14 PM
defaria
Safety Car

I always park in gear.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by defaria
I always park in gear.
Not to derail the thread (since it's my own thread) but why?? You wouldn't leave an automatic in drive or reverse. You put it in park which is essentially a brake for the transmission. Manuals don't have that so you use the parking brake. That's why it's called the PARKING brake. Why would you ever turn your car off in a gear that will make the car go forward or backwards if it's running?? That's like saying "I always look down the barrel of my gun to see if there's a bullet in the chamber". Just unsafe.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-02-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:23 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Not to derail the thread (since it's my own thread) but why?? You wouldn't leave an automatic in drive or reverse. You put it in park which is essentially a brake for the transmission. Manuals don't have that so you use the parking brake. That's why it's called the PARKING brake. Why would you ever turn your car off in a gear that will make the car go forward or backwards if it's running?? That's like saying "I always look down the barrel of my gun to see if there's a bullet in the chamber". Just unsafe.
When parking a manual it’s best left in gear. If for some reason the park brake fails it won’t roll. Same reason when parking on a hill one turns the wheel to run in to the curb before rolling down If there is a failure. It’s happened 😄
Old 12-02-2018, 02:41 PM
MrHix
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Automatics have a parking pawl in the transmission to keep the car from rolling in park.

Cheers,

MrHix

Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

wow, 2 great examples of wordsmith-ing in this thread...dichotomy and pawl! I give each of you a triple word score!
Old 12-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Your car CAN roll in gear. And unless you're on a very steep hill, why would your parking brake just randomly fail?? It really doesn't matter though as that's not the point of the thread and I'm never going to change how I park. I shouldn't have even said anything about it. Just looking for a solution to be able to bypass the clutch start.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:16 PM
GraysonS
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there, I'm new to the forum but I have been driving stick for many years. The remote start is a bad idea for a manual transmission purely because it is a bad idea to leave a manual transmission car in neutral while parked.

I'll never forget my buddies Mach 1 Mustang rolling down a hill and crushing his driver side fender because he left it in neutral. "The parking brake was on all the way!" he said.

Sure a car can roll if it's in gear but there is much more mechanical energy required. Don't have to trust me, go put your car in first and take the parking brake off and try to push it! It is much safer to park your manual car in gear than in neutral. The chances of your manual car spontaneously starting while parked is quite low. Somehow your starter would have to turn your crank AND your injectors would need to be spraying for it to catch. The flip side of this is the chances of your car moving while the parking brake is engaged. It is much more likely to have worn out brake shoes or to have potential energy of a hill overcome the brake.

Bottom line is that the parking brake in the majority of cars is not as strong as you might think. The point behind a parking brake is that it does not require hydraulics or vacuum to operate and therefore can be used when the car is off.

Anyway, maybe the parking brake in the C7 is ultra strong. In that case, I hope you can find your remote start solution. 100% of the people that I know, who drive stick, park in gear. So I would wager that's why you aren't getting a lot of activity on this thread. You might have to figure this one out yourself and then post your results so we can all see. Maybe someone here knows where to find the wiring diagrams so you can start working out the relays and bypasses you need to fabricate. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:37 PM
96ss#80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done. Call your local car stereo store, they will figure it out for you. But like previously stated it might go bad one day! Not to mention if you accidentally leave it in gear and start it remotely. Because the only way to make this work is to trick the car into thinking you have the clutch pedal pressed.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:03 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I would NEVER leave my manual car in N and rely only on the parking brake. An automatic has has to be left in Park and the parking brake helps the car not rest on the transmission. If the parking brake fails the transmission on an auto will hold it. That's not the case with a manual. I always park my M7 in gear just as I have with every manual trans I've ever owned.

Last edited by VistaVette; 12-03-2018 at 06:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (12-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket remote start for M7?

Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

If your car is a manual, then you should always leave it in gear when parking.

And you also answered your own question why adding a remote start to a manual is a bad, bad idea in general.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

LIke I said, SO sorry I even opened that can of worms and also like I said, you could tell me that every time I park my car in neutral, a puppy is tortured and I'm still never going to park it in gear unless I'm on a steep hill and there's no curb to turn my tires into (there are NO hills where I live. It's as flat as they come). And if we're getting into the "safety" of not doing remote start on manuals, that's just a dumb sentiment to think it's unsafe. It should come from the factory that way. Just like your car has to be in park for remote start to work, they could make it so that the car wouldn't start in gear. Don't tell me there's no way they could know if your car is in gear or not because there's a damn icon on the dash that SHOWS what gear you're in electronically. It definitely can be done. I guess this thread is no longer about how to bypass the clutch start, it's just about trolling me for why it's a bad idea to leave a parked car in neutral and how remote start for a manual is a horrible idea
The following users liked this post:
DWillys (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:27 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

"Automatics have a parking pawl in the transmission to keep the car from rolling in park"

True BUT the auto transmission is not designed to bear the weight of the car on a hill and the parking brake should always be used when in park and on a hill.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start for M7?