Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket remote start for M7?

Old 12-03-2018, 09:15 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
LIke I said, SO sorry I even opened that can of worms and also like I said, you could tell me that every time I park my car in neutral, a puppy is tortured and I'm still never going to park it in gear unless I'm on a steep hill and there's no curb to turn my tires into
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see...

Last edited by defaria; 12-03-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
There are none so blind than those who refuse to see...
If you're going to get all trolly, at least use proper grammar. None so blind AS those who refuse to see.
The following 2 users liked this post by Toddiesel:
DWillys (12-03-2018), Woodson (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 AM
defaria
Safety Car

If you're going to get all trolly, at least use proper grammar. None so blind AS those who refuse to see.
You're right! Thanks for pointing this out. Corrected.

As for trolly - it was you who said that you cannot be convinced which is, after all, the sound of a closed mind. YOU admitted that not I. And that's my point. It has nothing to do with being a troll and everything to do with your admitted and proclaimed closed mind on the subject. Oh and BTW the vast majority of people, including the manufacturers themselves totally disagree with you but go ahead and believe the wrong crap and proudly proclaim your ignorance. I'm only pointing that out.

It's quite telling that you are aggravated not because you believe you are right but because somebody pointed out you are wrong and not open to correction. Compare that to my first paragraph. I ask you, who handled being wrong better?

(Note to self - never post before having your morning coffee)

Last edited by defaria; 12-03-2018 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,356 Likes on 784 Posts

Here's another note: stop criticizing others when you make plenty of spelling and grammar errors yourself.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

When parking a manual it’s best left in gear. If for some reason the park brake fails it won’t roll. Same reason when parking on a hill one turns the wheel to run in to the curb before rolling down If there is a failure. It’s happened ��

it’s kinda parking a manual 101.
Those of us with mechanical hand brakes or live in hilly San Fran, these brakes will slip in certain directions if not fully engaged. Even with an electronic parking brake, I wouldn’t risk it alone on an incline with any car worth anything. I never trust an indicator alone- I have to hear and feel it engage... my airbag and passenger seat belt light is on because some Einstein somehow dislodged a connector when he changed my oil. Incline: Parking brake, confirm it’s engaged, put in gear or P, turn wheels to curb in appropriate way, release brake pedal.

Your car CAN roll in gear. And unless you're on a very steep hill, why would your parking brake just randomly fail?? It really doesn't matter though as that's not the point of the thread and I'm never going to change how I park. I shouldn't have even said anything about it. Just looking for a solution to be able to bypass the clutch start.
Originally Posted by 2K14C7
"Automatics have a parking pawl in the transmission to keep the car from rolling in park"

True BUT the auto transmission is not designed to bear the weight of the car on a hill and the parking brake should always be used when in park ane on a hill.
“Symptoms of a worn or broken parking pawl
If your vehicle rolls forward or backward more than an inch or so after placing the shifter lever into "P" Park, the parking pawl may be badly worn. If your vehicle rolls more than a couple of inches, or rolls freely, after placing the shifter into Park, the parking pawl may be broken.”
https://estimate.myautomatictransmis...-parking-pawl/

just to complete the derailment, the pawl should not be used in place of the parking brake, it is in addition to the parking brake.

park how u like, your car, your time, your risk.

Back on topic, not ever thought of wanting remote start but I live where the weather is good year round. Also I’m starting my 650hp car sitting in the seat.

Last edited by Parcival; 12-03-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:21 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Before the "depress clutch to start" safety feature....I witnessed a 2x0 Z nose get caved in when it leaped forward into a garage wall when started in gear (an no brake).
Have also seen more than one car roll down a hill from being parked in N with just the brake. Gravity overcame the parking brake....

I know my C5 will roll backwards even if it is in (1st) gear, and I don't heave-ho on the parking brake lever.
I always park In gear with brake on. if I am at home, a wheel block as well (my driveway is sloped ~12 degrees, both sides lined with trees)

Just mo 0.02....
Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,945 Likes on 934 Posts

LIke I said, SO sorry I even opened that can of worms and also like I said, you could tell me that every time I park my car in neutral, a puppy is tortured and I'm still never going to park it in gear unless I'm on a steep hill and there's no curb to turn my tires into (there are NO hills where I live. It's as flat as they come). And if we're getting into the "safety" of not doing remote start on manuals, that's just a dumb sentiment to think it's unsafe. It should come from the factory that way. Just like your car has to be in park for remote start to work, they could make it so that the car wouldn't start in gear. Don't tell me there's no way they could know if your car is in gear or not because there's a damn icon on the dash that SHOWS what gear you're in electronically. It definitely can be done. I guess this thread is no longer about how to bypass the clutch start, it's just about trolling me for why it's a bad idea to leave a parked car in neutral and how remote start for a manual is a horrible idea
I never understood why people get rude and react like this guy when CLEARLY the right thing to do is put your car in gear for safety. Even the owners manual says to do it. The reason Im responding to your utter stupidity is because if you lived in my neighborhood, you might just be the guy that has his car roll down his driveway and kills one of my kids playing on the sidewalk... Oh yeah cause accidents like that never happen... So instead of being rude and dismissive, maybe you might try to appreciate what others here are saying and put your car in gear when your parked...
iw172 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:28 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

OP -
Although I have not installed remote start on my Mx Corvettes, I remember a few threads on it about a year ago or so - do a quick search. From what I remember back then, it was possible to do, and there was one or two here who had it done.

Years ago I had a friend get one installed in I think a M5 Honda CRX at a local stereo shop, but he had to pay cash with no receipt or warranty. Worked fine until the car got totaled.

As to whether or not you should get remote start on your manual that would be up to you - I would assume it would void the warranty (if you still have one) and possibly open yourself up to some liability if something were to happen as a result of the install.

If you decide to get it done please let us know how it works and the cost and process involved.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Not to derail the thread (since it's my own thread) but why?? You wouldn't leave an automatic in drive or reverse. You put it in park which is essentially a brake for the transmission. Manuals don't have that so you use the parking brake. That's why it's called the PARKING brake. Why would you ever turn your car off in gear that will make the car go forward or backwards if it's running?? That's like saying "I always look down the barrel of my gun to see if there's a bullet in the chamber". Just unsafe.
FYI- Owner’s Manual:

Old 12-03-2018, 08:53 PM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

My guess is the car knows what gear its in by a calculation of input shaft speed and vehicle speed which it could not figure out when the car is parked waiting for a remote start. It would take too many additional sensors to actually know the position of the lever. And even if the car was convinced that the lever was in the N position while parked, it would still be unsafe to have remote start on a manual trans. Lawyers anticipate every angle of potential liability and theres too much risk in a flailing driver flopping into a running car and inadvertently ramming the lever into 1st because he thinks its a grab handle.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,356 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
Also I’m starting my 650hp car sitting in the seat.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:46 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K14C7
Also, people in warmer climates use remote start for cooling the interior. It’s doable but I wouldn’t want it on my manual.
True, when Hot out I remote start my truck.

That said, I park manual transmission vehicles in gear always.

Originally Posted by saleen556

When parking a manual it’s best left in gear. If for some reason the park brake fails it won’t roll. Same reason when parking on a hill one turns the wheel to run in to the curb before rolling down If there is a failure. It’s happened 😄
I agree.

Also adding remote start, and parking the car in neutral would make it so easy exit, and automatic seat memory would not work. No thanks.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:32 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
True, when Hot out I remote start my truck.

That said, I park manual transmission vehicles in gear always.

I agree.

Also adding remote start, and parking the car in neutral would make it so easy exit, and automatic seat memory would not work. No thanks.
I don't see why this would be the case. Easy exit happens at exit time not start time. And I could envision that the car could say "If I was started by remote start and the driver's door had not been opened in say the last 15 minutes when start was initiated, then leave the seat at easy exit". This would require the driver to hit his preferred seat position when he gets in or you could be fancy and say "If I was remote started, the driver's door had not been opened for the prior 15 minutes and is now opened and I suddenly feel weight on the drivers seat then in 5 seconds go to this fobs preferred seating position".
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm starting to become quite jaded with this forum. Someone posts looking for a solution to their situation and the masses just cannot understand how someone's needs may different than their own. Sheesh.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:40 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
I'm starting to become quite jaded with this forum. Someone posts looking for a solution to their situation and the masses just cannot understand how someone's needs may different than their own. Sheesh.
And the vast majority recognize a potentially dangerous situation when they see it.
The following 4 users liked this post by owc6:
Maxpowers (12-04-2018), Mayor111 (12-04-2018), NSC5 (12-05-2018), Woodson (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:50 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Driving is a dangerous situation. That doesn't mean it can't be done relatively safely.
Toddiesel (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Driving is a dangerous situation. That doesn't mean it can't be done relatively safely.
The OP has said all this stuff before in a 2017 thread and people highlighted the safety issue then.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-manual-2.html

He has a simultaneous identical thread running in the Z06 section and people were even more on him abt the potential safety issues with a Z. He just bowed out and went offline to PM, which is appropriate I think.

Last edited by Parcival; 12-04-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket remote start for M7?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

At this point, for my situation, I wouldn't even care if it was possible. Especially if it was more expensive to manufacture or manipulate in order to make it happen. My car is usually at most, 50 feet away - I'd rather save the money and start the chaotic roar of the engine myself.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:15 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Isn't this really true anywhere you go? It's been my experience all along - here and everywhere really. There are also those who respond with solutions or other methods too.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:20 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default ditto

Originally Posted by defaria
I always park in gear.
plus these electric emergency brakes can fail or freeze in cold weather.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start for M7?