Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
My Nitto NT-05 were non-run flats and were perectly.smooth after 5 months.
That’s because flat spotting went away when radial tires replaced bias ply tires. It’s amusing what many C7 owners do to prevent a problem that doesn’t exist.

The following users liked this post:
Boiler_81 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Yes, don't waste time and effort next time, if just storing for several months or so all you need to do is connect to a battery tender.

That's all that I do with mine. Although mine will probably never see a full 3-4 month period of time without being driven either, as our winters are mild enough that I'm typically able to take it out at least 2-3 times per month. But even if we happened to have a brutally bad winter where I wasn't able to take it out for a drive, my storing procedure would still be nice and simple.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:21 AM
yogi11
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default car jacket

My last corvette had a mouse get into my headlight assembly and chewed on the wires while in storage. Now I put my corvette in a car jacket and that stopped mice from getting at my car. https://www.carbag.com/car-jacket-installation/
Old 12-05-2018, 08:31 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
That's all that I do with mine. Although mine will probably never see a full 3-4 month period of time without being driven either, as our winters are mild enough that I'm typically able to take it out at least 2-3 times per month. But even if we happened to have a brutally bad winter where I wasn't able to take it out for a drive, my storing procedure would still be nice and simple.
+1

This describes my situation as well.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dbdave
Dryer sheets = urban myth. I know that from experience.
I don't use dryer sheets, but I do keep a Tupperware ventilated box full of moth ***** under the engine and rear axle of each car. Important to replace every three months.
We used to have problems with chipmunks and occasional mice in the garage, but not since I started the moth *****. I also use lots of glue traps in the garage but only catch about one rodent per year now, usually by the door.
And our garage now smells like Grandma's attic!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by oldvetteowner
I put my Corvette away for the Winter. Only thing I have to do is add more air to the tires. Put Stabil in the fuel tank,card board flatten boxes under tires, steel wool in the tail pipes, dryer sheets in the engine compartment,passenger compartment,trunk,on top of the tires and under the body. Any other suggestions.
The most important single thing is to put it away with the engine fully up to temperature, and then some. As in 30 minutes of continuous driving with NO shutdowns, however brief, before you put it away. Another minor point is to dry out the air conditioning (compressor off, blower on high for a few minutes) before parking.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:33 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Hmm?

Drove with the top down today. And yesterday. And the day before. Winter storage? Out on the boulevard in the Land of the Endless Summer.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I don't use dryer sheets, but I do keep a Tupperware ventilated box full of moth ***** under the engine and rear axle of each car. Important to replace every three months.
We used to have problems with chipmunks and occasional mice in the garage, but not since I started the moth *****. I also use lots of glue traps in the garage but only catch about one rodent per year now, usually by the door.
And our garage now smells like Grandma's attic!
Moth *****

The smell can be dealt with as along as they aren't put in the car.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

When I use to store a car over winter I:
Changed the oil.
Washed the car.
Over inflated the tires slightly.
Connected a battery tender.
Threw a car cover over it.

I did not start it until spring.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
Drove with the top down today. And yesterday. And the day before. Winter storage? Out on the boulevard in the Land of the Endless Summer.
Personally, I like a change in seasons, endless summer would bore me after a while.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:57 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Personally, I like a change in seasons, endless summer would bore me after a while.
Me too. It only got up to 60 today. In six months it'll be 100.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:59 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

After all of these winters in Ontario (which aren't even as bad as some of you guys experience, especially my neighbors an hour away in Buffalo for example) I am tired of it. I wouldn't mind a change of seasons if the winter weather meant daytime highs of 50-55, but when we get weeks and weeks sometimes where it doesn't even get above the freezing mark, and we don't see the sun, and we spend every few days scraping ice off the cars and shovelling snow off the driveway, that's not a welcome change at all. I'm a warm weather person, so I would honestly never tire of having 75-90 degree weather and sunshine 365 days out of the year. My wife and I both feel depressed in the winter, neither of us enjoy being cold, neither of us have any winter activities that we enjoy but when it's warm outside we're very outdoorsey people. That is why we're fast tracking our retirement to 2022, so we can avoid winters in Ontario and spend them in Florida. We'll still experience the change from summer to fall in Ontario, as well as the change from spring to summer, but we'll avoid the worst weather here.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:42 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Mines is currently being driven in the winter weather on all-season tires.

Last edited by HogwildC7; 12-06-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage