Winter Road Trip with salty roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 02:50 PM
GS_Mojo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Road Trip with salty roads

Hey All,

I'm moving from upstate NY to the northern NJ this month and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my GS down there. We have already received a ton of snow, thus, a ton of salt.

I have the stock tires on, and I'm wondering... with temps looking sunny and ~30F throughout the trip (including the day prior so minimal concern on wet salty roads), do you think A: it's worth driving the 300mi down despite the salt already on the roads? B: Would the tires be able to handle the 'less than ideal' temperatures/conditions (if it does decide to snow)?
It would be the only winter trip it would have to take and I'd be sure to get the undercarriage cleaned up once I got to my destination.

I know what you're thinking... ship it enclosed! While I've done that before, I unfortunately have a one or two day window where it needs to be picked up. The whole "90% guarantee it will ship within 1-7 days" isn't going to cut it this time around. To ensure it getting delivered in the time I need it shipped requires a 4-digit before the decimal number, which I'm not keen on doing.

Other factors (maybe?): Except for the undercarriage, the car is completely ceramic coated, including the rims (ceramic pro gold package, courtesy of White Glove Auto Detailing). Car has less than 3k mi on it. Planning on keeping it for +25yrs.

Wisdom and guidance appreciated!
Greg

Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Hey Greg,

It seems you haven't given yourself much choice.

Things to consider, if the temperatures are really 30 or below, I would be concerned driving on the summer tires. There are documented issues with the summer tires cracking in cold temps. That said, I think that has more to do with cold tires suddenly heating up and getting bumped from uneven roads (pot holes), rather that just the temperature. Also, the tires will have significant less traction in colder temperatures.

Has it rained recently, when was the last snow fall? The roads won't be covered in salt for weeks on end after a snow. Plus, it snot like you are driving in the salt flats. Wash the car and you should be ok. If you are really worried, wash it more than once or put on jacks and power wash the underside until you are satisfied there is no salt left.
The following 2 users liked this post by ~Stingray:
GS_Mojo (12-08-2018), Rebel Yell (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

30F is getting low for the stock tires but if it's clear and dry and you drive normal you should be OK. It was 35F when I picked up my Z06, with wet roads and light snow flurries and I got it home fine with no issues. Now granted it wasn't a 300 mile trip but....

Can you not store it somewhere and ship it form the storage place?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

GSM Two weeks ago I drove back from Bowling Green KY (recent NCM R8C delivery) back to Virginia in 30 degree weather. I kept it in Weather mode all the way back and drove the car sensibly. When I got back home after driving 680 miles in sleet, snow and salty roads the car was laden with salt. A couple of days after I got home I put the car up on race ramps and thoroughly washed the undercarriage first with a foam gun soaking and then with a pressure wash. I did this 2 times. I proceeded to wash the aluminum wheels and then the vehicle. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. Save yourself the expense of shipping it and put that money to better use. If the weather is in the 20s then I would hold off but you should be able to find a day where the daytime high temps will be in the 30s or above. The distance you are driving is not that far. Just drive reasonably. BTW your car is awesome. They have one just like that one at the entrance into the Corvette Museum and it is a big hit with visitors.
The following 2 users liked this post by MMD:
GS_Mojo (12-08-2018), Mike Campbell (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:07 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Drive it is my vote.
Clean it up when you get wherever you are going.
I would drive it in the next few rainstorms to clean the undercarriage. Im sure someone will be off the deep end over that idea, but that is how I would handle the salt situation.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

You will fine driving it with those tires. The whole thing with them cracking etc. is way overblown. If needed you can use weather mode for additional traction. Other than needing a good cleaning you should have no issues. I have driven my Z06 on the Summer tires in some real crappy weather/temperatures with no problems at all.
The following users liked this post:
GS_Mojo (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 11:25 PM
GS_Mojo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the info, folks. I'm going to hold off for now due to other logistical issues (two dogs, one in particular who likes to bite door trim in other cars), so the corvette move is postponed. Regardless of that, your info has been super helpful.

Still looking at both options. Potentially a bigger window at the end of the month to ship it or drive it (if weather can hold up). Crossing fingers for a better opportunity.

I'm sure a lot of you are thinking 'you need to give yourself more time!' Trust me, I wish I could too haha. Moving/Work/Training/Personal events all at once this next month!

Also, thanks for the compliments on the 'vette! Can't wait for warmer weather and unsalted roads!
Old 12-09-2018, 01:52 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,207 Likes on 3,453 Posts

Ship it, pure and simple!

Salt can and will get everywhere and stay indefinitely no matter how well you clean under and supposedly everywhere.

I've spent 30 years racing at Bonneville and believe me, I avoid ALL other salt no matter what. If I lived in a locale that salted the roads I'd have a beater for driving during those times. All the best!
The following 3 users liked this post by Avanti:
A320Flyer (12-22-2018), GS_Mojo (12-09-2018), Red Devil (12-21-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:23 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

Put it in storage until spring and then drive it. I don't think its worth the risk if you plan on keeping it for awhile.
GS_Mojo (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:56 AM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

also if able, use a garden sprinkler and wash the under side. Start at one end and every 10-15 Minutes pull the hose a couple feet and repeat. This meathod worked great while living at Cape Hatteras, NC when you run up/down the beach A friends 12 Year old Toyota truck looked nearly new by doing this. No rust, should do a great job rinsing the road salt off. Have done it here in Ohio through out the winter when ODOT trashes the road with salt spray. Drive it an clean later.
GS_Mojo (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:53 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

We don't get much salt (and I try to avoid driving when we get snow until streets are generally clear because of where we live), but I bought one of these and have used it mainly just for cleaning the underside after mud, etc. Works well for me. Easy too.
https://www.theunderwasher.com/
Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
We don't get much salt (and I try to avoid driving when we get snow until streets are generally clear because of where we live), but I bought one of these and have used it mainly just for cleaning the underside after mud, etc. Works well for me. Easy too.
https://www.theunderwasher.com/
That thing looks very cheap. The water doesn't even come out evenly. Sprinker seems to be a better bet.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:28 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

If you decide on the drive? With temps below freezing how are you properly gonna rinse the crap off.Got a heated garage and a lift? Then blow it dry above freezing temps to remove the crap before it refreezes.
Guess it depends on how clean is your clean.
Can you rent a Enclosed trailer?Gonna need a decent truck to tow.Work out your numbers.
IS77Z has a good idea with local storage then Ship.
The traction with these cup tires when cold ain't trust worthy.It can be done very carefully.Would suck if traction is needed for braking too in case of a incident.
What you gonna tell your insurance company if a crash happened and the adjuster knows all about the Safe tire temps?
Just a couple things to think about.

Last edited by DALE#3; 12-09-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DALE#3
If you decide on the drive? With temps below freezing how are you properly gonna rinse the crap off.Got a heated garage and a lift? Then blow it dry above freezing temps to remove the crap before it refreezes.
Guess it depends on how clean is your clean.
Can you rent a Enclosed trailer?Gonna need a decent truck to tow.Work out your numbers.
IS77Z has a good idea with local storage then Ship.
The traction with these cup tires when cold ain't trust worthy.It can be done very carefully.Would suck if traction is needed for braking too in case of a incident.
What you gonna tell your insurance company if a crash happened and the adjuster knows all about the Safe tire temps?
Just a couple things to think about.
Dale - he has a GS so he does not have cup tires. He is not going to crash. His GS can easily handle a 300 mile drive in 30 degree weather. No need to over dramatize this routine trip.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Driving it won’t kill it. On a dry surface the tires will heat up to a safe temperature. Staying in weather mode will also help. As for the undercarrriage there are hand washes in NJ that have them, during the winter I use one that does. On a dry day it will be a great ride!

Now that they’re available, investing in the AS3+ wouldn’t be a bad idea. That way you could drive for 25 years instead of parking for 12 or 13 years over the same span...if you like.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:57 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

A large money item.I wouldn’t sweat the small stuff.I want have it shipped in an enclosed transporter.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:00 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

No need to over dramatize this routine trip.
Get your knowledge straight before your Criticize! GS has Cup tires.Have you driven on cold cup tires?Panic stopped on Cup Tires?Turned to avoid a crash over 50 on Cold Cup Tires.HA
OP,Asked i delivered.Got anything positive to add??
Well....

Last edited by DALE#3; 12-09-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Road Trip with salty roads

Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Drive it is my vote.
Clean it up when you get wherever you are going.
I would drive it in the next few rainstorms to clean the undercarriage. Im sure someone will be off the deep end over that idea, but that is how I would handle the salt situation.
^
this.
Take it easy going home. Next clear day or so, get to a car wash with a power spray gun and give the under carriage a good cleaning. I'd hit it a couple of good cycles with soap and then a final rinse. I ran a C4 for years in Illinois w/ salty roads and the car cleaned up and looked like a garage queen.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

If that's your Escalade does it have a trailer hitch ? If so go rent a enclosed or open trailer. If not check out cost to install hitch. No worries about driving GS with cold/salt let alone a possible few inches of snow. With open trailer salt might be on paint but not as much on undercarriage as if you were driving.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:46 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Get your knowledge straight before your Criticize! GS has Cup tires.Have you driven on cold cup tires?Panic stopped on Cup Tires?Turned to avoid a crash over 50 on Cold Cup Tires.HA
OP,Asked i delivered.Got anything positive to add??
Well....
Get your knowledge straight before you dramatize. Stock GS has Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer- only, run-flats. The GS with the $7,995 Z07 package has the Super Sport Cup 2 run-flats. His car has the base tire.

Quick Reply: Winter Road Trip with salty roads