Sponsored by:

Local dealer-warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:55 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevette!?!?
I've read a lot of complaints about the 3LT leather dash issues and yet nobody takes any decent pictures to show anything,...……….Seriously?

Before with 0 damage
Attachment 48350017

after, it is completely out with no glue left on the leaether underside...
Attachment 48350018
Attachment 48350019

In this picture you can see it starting to get lines in the bottom left (right of the HUD) and you can see it is almost all the way out in front of the defrost and it's all the way out behind it...
Attachment 48350020
Attachment 48350021
The following users liked this post:
Chevette!?!? (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:57 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
^ Notice the words "may provide" in the above excerpt from the owner's manualmeaning the dealer is not required to provide a loaner. I advise you to stop whining about not getting a loaner and concentrate on the real problem at hand which is getting your F'ed-up 3LT dash replaced properly.
Anyway, after the dealer completes your dash replacement and if you come back complaining it looks like hell and/or half your electronics no longer work, then I will agree you legitimately have something to whine about.

I don't see how all the "my dealer gave me a rental or loaner" comments are relative as the fact is that Chevy dealers are not required to supply loaners and the particular dealer the OP has chosen to replace his dash is evidently one that does not.
No kidding.
There is something real to worry about here, and its not a rental car.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:59 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
Before with 0 damage

after, it is completely out with no glue left on the leaether underside...

In this picture you can see it starting to get lines in the bottom left (right of the HUD) and you can see it is almost all the way out in front of the defrost and it's all the way out behind it...

Did they replace the entire dash for that ?
Old 12-09-2018, 09:15 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The C6 4lt leather dashes have (had) the same problem...You would think that Chevrolet would learn from past problems
Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

OP - good luck getting the dash fixed properly. Sad that this problem is happening.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:13 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
^ Notice the words "may provide" in the above excerpt from the owner's manual meaning the dealer is not required to provide a loaner. I advise you to stop whining about not getting a loaner and concentrate on the real problem at hand which is getting your F'ed-up 3LT dash replaced properly.
Anyway, after the dealer completes your dash replacement and if you come back complaining it looks like hell and/or half your electronics no longer work, then I will agree you legitimately have something to whine about.

I don't see how all the "my dealer gave me a rental or loaner" comments are relative as the fact is that Chevy dealers are not required to supply loaners and the particular dealer the OP has chosen to replace his dash is evidently one that does not.
Amen Brother! The devil is in the details.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Did they replace the entire dash for that ?
Nope, Not covered... still looks the same for now, I have some ideas on fixing but I need some heat in the car before I try it, 35 degrees in the garage right now
Old 12-10-2018, 07:01 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Two things;

1. I have a 14 3LT with kalahari interior with 57,000 miles and driven daily in Florida. Anytime it’s parked outside, I put up my windshield shade. Dash looks brand new.

2. My dealer always gives me a loaner for warranty work.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 12-10-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:13 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Nope, Not covered... still looks the same for now, I have some ideas on fixing but I need some heat in the car before I try it, 35 degrees in the garage right now
Well on one hand it looks totally repairable, and that's better than having them replace the entire thing. On the other hand the repair ought to be covered under warranty.
One thing is for sure, that is a straight up defect in workmanship, and a legitimate complaint.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 12-10-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Superstar555
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Getting a comp loaner at a chevy dealer...dude, you bought into the wrong brand.
Once again, the absolute worst part of owning a Corvette is the fact that it is tied to a Chevy dealership.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevette!?!?
I've read a lot of complaints about the 3LT leather dash issues and yet nobody takes any decent pictures to show anything,...……….Seriously?
I know I posted pictures of my dash delam issues in another thread. My local dealer said I would have to wait for the regional manager to approve my dash replacement before they would proceed. Took about a month between my first contact and the manager made his rounds. Replacement was ultimately approved, done quickly, and no rattles or electrical issues. However the question still lingering is WHY, being that I was still under warranty why was I forced to wait for approval from a third party? Seems GM warranties are only as good as the service or district managers say it is? WTF
Old 12-10-2018, 03:30 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Firmly believe that the weather conditions the car is subjected to has about 99%to do with the issue.

Its 35f outside and my garage is 72f.

when I park in the sun I crack the windows and cover the dash with a color matching towel. You dont even notice it unless looking for it.

my buddy's built one week before mine and half the mileage started to do it about 6mos ago. But he never takes any precautions (or saying roght or wrong just stating fact) and it was parked in the sun just about every day and then in cold months in sun and back inside his shop where it can be 35f overnight.

it sucks, but thankfully many had it repaired under warranty. Gm should lose the leather covered dash imo. His 3LZ msrp 98k (as did mine) and shouldnt have this issue.

here's a video of his old dash and me speaking with the tech at the Chevy dealer

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 12-10-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:40 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

^^^^^^^ this is exactly what mine looks like but the glue has delaminated about 4 inches back toward the driver's seat...^^^^^^^
Old 12-11-2018, 09:30 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
Two things;

1. I have a 14 3LT with kalahari interior with 57,000 miles and driven daily in Florida. Anytime it’s parked outside, I put up my windshield shade. Dash looks brand new.

^^ This ^^
It takes about 10 times to develop a habit, but it becomes as instinctive as putting on your seat belt. All my dashboards look brand new, even after years in the Flordia heat.

That being said, putting leather on a dashboard is a really dumb design. Black leather in direct sunlight? Really? Good thing for Chevy, the warranty is only 3 years/36K. The other problem is when the warranty repair is authorized, they still have to mess with the dash, which means creaks may develop after the repair.

Everyone should spend the $100 for the sunshade, especially 3LT'ers.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
I know I posted pictures of my dash delam issues in another thread. My local dealer said I would have to wait for the regional manager to approve my dash replacement before they would proceed. Took about a month between my first contact and the manager made his rounds. Replacement was ultimately approved, done quickly, and no rattles or electrical issues. However the question still lingering is WHY, being that I was still under warranty why was I forced to wait for approval from a third party? Seems GM warranties are only as good as the service or district managers say it is? WTF
UPDATE
My car is back at the dealership for a repair to the repair. Leather piece with the cut out for the HUD is coming apart after three months, no way this is weather or heat related. It has not been over 75 degrees in my area since the fix. As a side note I ask to have the MRC update flashed on my Z 51 while there, service writer quoted me $ 190.00. Thought maybe they were giving me a deal to make up for prior inconveniences. Got a call before the shuttle even got me home, she was wrong, the cost was $690.00. Told her to pound sand, and asked what part of the GM print out regarding the $ 350.00 these crooks failed to understand. Done with these A holes.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:32 PM
1BadRS
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

That is unreal. So now they have to replace your whole dash again? Also, what did they say when you mentioned the print out from GM regarding the $350 price?

Last edited by 1BadRS; 02-06-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1BadRS
That is unreal. So now they have to replace your whole dash again? Also, what did they say when you mentioned the print out from GM regarding the $350 price?
Not the whole dash, the part that goes around the HUD and sweeps to the right down to the console, There is a "U" shape opening for the HUD projection, where those two pointed areas come to an end. Whoever GM acquires these pieces from seem to lack the ability to come up with an adhesive that is permanent.
As for the MRC update the answer was "that's what my manager told me". The same jerk manager who made me wait a month for some district manager to OK the original f up.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM
1BadRS
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I didn't realize they could fix portions of the dash, I thought the whole thing needed replacing. I swear the things I hear from these "customer service representatives" just blows me away. How the heck do any of these people have jobs. So I guess you always have to be smarter than they are when it comes to their own product. I'm really sorry you have deal with this AGAIN. Looking forward to your update when fixed and then hoping you don't have to do another update on this moving forward. Fingers crossed, mine is still holding up!

Quick Reply: Local dealer-warranty issue