C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDR SD card

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:38 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by The HACK

You have to format it FAT32. I don’t know how many times this needs to be repeated.

Some cards don’t come formatted, or they’re formatted NTFS because FAT32 is an OLD standard. No Windows 10 machine can natively format FAT32, you need an app like Rufus if you have Windows 10, or throw it into another machine/camera/whatever that can format it, as most cameras format in FAT32.
Another great free program is SD Formatter

I do a lot of Linux images on SD cards so know them pretty well
Old 12-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAF
ok, so if everyone else can use a card right out of the box, what am I doing wrong? My PDR still cant read the card. I hate to take it back to the dealer but I see no choice.
Perhaps you just have a bad card. Or maybe something is wrong with your PDR, who knows. Most people seem to have no issues with a 32GB card right out of the box. I can't comment on that since I've never used a 32GB card. The larger cards 64GB, 128GB etc...definitely need to be formatted with an app like the one I sent to you before they will work with the PDR.

Have you tried formatting your 32GB card just for kicks & grins to see if works after that? The worst that can happen is that it still won't work.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:06 PM
TimAF
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Perhaps you just have a bad card. Or maybe something is wrong with your PDR, who knows. Most people seem to have no issues with a 32GB card right out of the box. I can't comment on that since I've never used a 32GB card. The larger cards 64GB, 128GB etc...definitely need to be formatted with an app like the one I sent to you before they will work with the PDR.

Have you tried formatting your 32GB card just for kicks & grins to see if works after that? The worst that can happen is that it still won't work.
I downloaded the software but can't find my sd card once it is plugged in to my Dell with windows 10. I've been to file manager, looked at devices, found my c drive but no sd drive. I'm sure 'the Hack' is rolling his eyes and I can usually figure out this stuff, but i'm at a loss with this one. I'm thinking I'll just pick up a card from Amazon just like the one a previous poster said worked out of the box.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I downloaded the software but can't find my sd card once it is plugged in to my Dell with windows 10. I've been to file manager, looked at devices, found my c drive but no sd drive. I'm sure 'the Hack' is rolling his eyes and I can usually figure out this stuff, but i'm at a loss with this one. I'm thinking I'll just pick up a card from Amazon just like the one a previous poster said worked out of the box.
Hmm, that's odd. I guess picking up another 32GB card on Amazon like others have used is worth a shot. Let us know if that ends up working or not.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Tried Start > This PC?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
A 32 gb SD card should not need to be formatted as it can't be bigger than a 32 gb block of storage, which is what FAT 32 formatting does for cards that are 64 gb to 512 gb.
You'd think, but I've gotten a few cards that are maybe EX-FAT and don't work with the Corvette. GM must have used some open-source FLASH software that can only grok actual FAT32.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Maybe there's no formatted partition yet, so it does't show up as a drive in My Computer. Your options if that's the case are to create the partition in Disk Manager, or to order a new 32G card that's already formatted from Amazon. That's what I'd do if you're not in a panic.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Computer literacy is HARD.

How are you plugging your SD card into your Dell PC? Does the Dell have a SD card reader slot, or is it via a third party USB SD card reader? Do you have another SD card to test?

I'm not an IT expert, nor am I particularly adept with a computer. Take everything I have to say with a grain of salt. But if you eliminate all the possibilities, whatever remains, however improbable...Blah blah blah.

Even if the card is formatted in a form that a PC wouldn't recognize, under Windoze 10, if you insert a USB drive or card that is formatted in an odd format (Apple HFS, for example) the operating system is going to ask you if you want to format it into something that it will recognize. If there are no partitions or the card is unformatted, the operating system is going to ask if you want to format it into something it will recognize. At this point, if you insert the SD card correctly and the computer just sits there and acts like a brick, the next course of action to eliminate the possibilities would be to get a WORKING SD card to test.

Maybe it's time to go out and buy a lottery ticket, in my 10+ years of using a variety of portable solid state media (CompactFlash, USB key, USB drives, SD cards etc) the last time I had a device fail was about 8 or 9 years ago, and that's over hundreds of write cycles. Having one fail out of the box is about as rare as winning a lottery ticket (not the big jackpot kind, I'm talking about the $2 dollar scratcher to win $4), but that's entirely within the realm of possibility.

Sorry for being a d*ck, by the way.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Fastlane1972
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can a larger SD Card be used, 64GB or 128GB?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fastlane1972
Can a larger SD Card be used, 64GB or 128GB?
Yes, as discussed up above.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:59 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Good thread. Had similar issues with a 64GB SD card that was previously used in my Cannon camera. No SD reader in my PC so I couldn’t reformat. Bought a new 32GB card at Wally for $9.50 and it works like buttah !
Old 08-04-2019, 09:14 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

I use windows 7 and all you have to do is insert sd card (I am using a stick instead for demonstration purposes) right click the sd card and it will ask to format, hit format and you will get this, hit start and your done in 2 seconds.

The following users liked this post:
need-for-speed (08-04-2019)

Quick Reply: PDR SD card