Phatman1 nervous about purchase of 2019 C7

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Phatman1
I haven't purchased the car yet was beginning a test drive when I thought something was wrong and started to research what was going on. Still in the research mode as well as trying to convince my wife we should do this.
Hmm, glad I don't have to convince my wife I have to buy Vettes, which I have had since 1988 except for when we built our current home and I needed a pick-up.. She never drove either!

When she does ride with me in the Vette, which is seldom, I have to drive like an old man! Perhaps I am chronologically but not in body or sprint!

Reminded of folks who have to "drive before I buy!" For the fist year of the C7 that was very difficult or impossible to find a dealer with a car they let you test drive. Then, what can you find anyway? With the salesman sitting on the the passenger seat can you take a turn at 1 "g!" No way! Frankly have to rely on what Chevy publishes and their drivers and Car & Driver/Road & Track etc pro or semipro drivers taking the car to the limits. Cruising around town tells little about a sports car like a Vette. IMO.

Now in fairness had the wife pic the colors of the Grand Sport and she did sit in one at the dealer in town because I wanted her to look at interior colors. However had no intention of buying the car there. Would not tolerate the usual new car buying hassle, changes in price, additions or buying what that "sales manager thought I would like" in color, interior, wheels, transmission etc!. A 10 minute phone call to Kerbeck and my Grand Sport was purchased exactly the way I wanted and built just for me in Bowling Green- at a much bigger discount than anything they would offer locally!

Interesting Test Drive:
When I bought my C6 Z51 it was after I was driving a truck. Thought, just for fun, why not look at a Nissan 300ZX as I loved my 1974 260Z. . I asked to drive a stick and the salesman said we don't have a standard shift new car but I have a 1 year old trade you can drive. I said sure. It certainly was not like my 260Z, it was much heavier and although more power it was a wimp compared the the '93 Vette I have prior to the truck. The salesman saw I was disappointed and said "you need to get on it!" You can take this upcoming entrance rap to the Interstate. I did as he asked and had the "rear slide out" as I made the turn! I'm sure he's still in shock! However it was easy to get it back on line but the acceleration to past Interstate speed was not very impressive.

Called Kerbeck and ordered the color, wheels, interior, etc I wanted!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-12-2018 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:05 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

As a very long time new Corvette buyer, I wasn't disappointed with my new 2017 C7 in any way. My admiration grows for this engineering marvel of a motorcar.

.I would caution having your expectations dashed by buying used. The C7 is basically the perfect Corvette, new from the ground up. The more I learn about it, the more that became crystal clear.

​​​​​​​. There's no way I'd ever go backward in C-Classes. This IS the pinnacle. Bar none. Professional and amateur race car drivers and owners alike have confirmed this purl of wisdom.
JerryU (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
That is not my experience with the Michelin A/S 3+ ZPs. I have experienced zero wheel hop since putting these on, including very tight parking lot turns in sub-40 weather.

Joe, do you have Michelin A/S tires on your C7???
The summer PSS tires that come on the car are prone to the hop in slow tight turns, and it gets worse at colder temperatures.
BTW, the summer tires are not recommended below 40' because of poor cold grip, and are not to be driven or even moved below 20' because of possible cracking. If those are issues for you, you can replace them with the A/S Michelins that should be available in your sizes both as runflats (ZP) or non-runflats, I have and recommend the ZP, we've driven them down to about 20' and never noticed any hop. The A/S also cost less and last longer, with only a small decrease in summer performance.
Too bad they are not a factory option, but you can sell your PSS if you don't put many miles on them.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
As a very long time new Corvette buyer, I wasn't disappointed with my new 2017 C7 in any way. .
A very long time new Corvette buyer? You bought one in 1978 and one in 2017 and only owned the 78 for a few months. That's what you call a long time new Corvette buyer? Harvey T Gluck is a long time new Corvette buyer, not you. Nice try Joe.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

That is not my experience with the Michelin A/S 3+ ZPs. I have experienced zero wheel hop since putting these on, including very tight parking lot turns in sub-40 weather.

Joe, do you have Michelin A/S tires on your C7???
Zy,
What size wheels does your C7 have? As I wrote previously, the differences in what we're feeling (wheel hop or not) may have all to do with exactly which exact tires and size of wheels your C7 is equipped with.

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2018, 11:24 PM
Phatman1
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay folks here is my latest issue with the C7 and I need your help in determining if I'm crazy. I took the 2019 C7 Stingray 1LT for a test drive. I was very disappointed with the ride on the highway. Don't get me wrong I had a Mustang GT at one time, I know no comparison but I have an idea what I was in for ride wise in getting a sports car. I didn't expect it to ride like a Cadillac but it felt as if all 4 tires were out of balance. I expected a stiff ride and feeling the bumps but I wasn't expecting the vibration I was experiencing. I didn't have time to drive another Vett as suggested by the Inventory Manager and that is on my radar for next week. It was an overcast day today but the temperatures were in the low 50's. Road conditions were dry with low humidity. This car has been sitting for 2 months at another lot. I know the stock tires can get flat spots from sitting but this seems excessive and I expected it to go away within a few miles. Need your input please!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 AM
CubPilot
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Try another car. As far as tires flat spotting, the old bias tries of years ago would be the tires to worry about for flat spotting issues. Modern radials are generally not prone to flat spotting & I don't think sitting stored over the winter or 2 months at a dealership has been an issue as far as I know.
At any rate, the most compliant ride would be in "T" (Touring Mode) & I believe in "W" (Weather mode). Remember "Tr" is Track mode.

Last edited by CubPilot; 12-15-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 PM
Phatman1
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well folks I did drive another car today and I have found the car that I will purchase. As much as I was looking forward to being a new owner of a Corvette I found that the Ford Mustang GT Premium fits me much better.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my inquiries about the Corvette.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:38 PM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

See ya in the rear view mirror...lol
Old 12-17-2018, 09:56 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,072 Likes on 6,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Yup.......Discount Tire. A/S Michelins. Traded the Summer only in on em in December 2017 with 400 miles on em.

They hop. Forward OR in reverse. Doesn't have to be a locked turn of the steering wheel, either. I'm not complaining. Just stating fact.

.Not sure why you're not noticing since we're at the
same temperature geographic location. That may be it. Some don't notice it.
That definitely is NOT it. I noticed it very frequently on the original tires. I have not experienced it even once on the A/S 3+ ZPs.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

That definitely is NOT it. I noticed it very frequently on the original tires. I have not experienced it even once on the A/S 3+ ZPs.

The only time I get to see Joe's posts is when someone quotes him, otherwise they disappear into my Ignore list of only 2 people.
Perhaps Moderators can't/shouldn't do that.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:47 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Can, but shouldn't. We really have to be able to see all posts. Otherwise ...
Old 12-18-2018, 06:14 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjimsC7
See ya in the rear view mirror...lol
Yep from that 1st post didn't sound like a "Sports Car Person!" Glad he's happy with a car I would not own!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

I’m not so critical of him.
Back in the C5 days; a Corvette was just as “livable” as a Mustang for daily driving if you didn’t need back seats.
Now, the Ford is nicer in many respects than a C7. GM made the C7 a better “numbers” car or track car, but Mustangs are roomier, better visibility, etc.
I’m not going to turn in our C7 for Mustang, but know several folks who tested a C7 but traded their C5 C6 for a Mustang.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:55 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Well folks I did drive another car today and I have found the car that I will purchase. As much as I was looking forward to being a new owner of a Corvette I found that the Ford Mustang GT Premium fits me much better.
Not surprised. The Corvette is not for everyone. It's an experience that either hooks you or you're looking for every single complaint. I don't think there is an in-between. I can say this - never, ever had I thought that a Mustang was a "dream car". That's a distinction for the Corvette (and better).
JerryU (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Not surprised. The Corvette is not for everyone. It's an experience that either hooks you or you're looking for every single complaint. I don't think there is an in-between. I can say this - never, ever had I thought that a Mustang was a "dream car". That's a distinction for the Corvette (and better).
I agree! My first car was a 79 Mustang, and I had two different 5.0 Mustangs, but back then they were always "stepping stones" and I have always thought of the Corvette as my "attainable dream car"
Old 12-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB

My A/S Michelin’s totally eliminated the “ wheel hop “.
Same here. I drive it no matter how cold as long as there is no snow or salt on the road.

Get notified of new replies

To Phatman1 nervous about purchase of 2019 C7

Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

I want to thank everyone who responded to my inquiries about the Corvette.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Congratulations!!! Those new Mustang GTs are nice rides...
Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

FWIW, I'm not experiencing it all the time on my 19"X20" wheels / tires.

Keep in mind that per member JerryU, the 18"X19" tires are an inch taller than the 19"X20"s. Accordingly, the less flexible 19" front tires, are going to be more firm - less of a softer ride from them. One theory is that the firm 19" tires would be more prone to dragging (hopping.) In the case of my front tires hopping in forward or reverse on a parking lot at very low inching speed,; some of the hopping may be because of grease on the parking spaces.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Joe,

I have a Z51, so, my wheels are 19" fronts and 20" rears. I wonder if the alignment could make a difference between your experience and mine (and the others who report no wheel hop with the A/S or do have wheel hop with the A/S).

Quick Reply: Phatman1 nervous about purchase of 2019 C7