How to sell a used C7

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:47 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default How to sell a used C7

Hey, I have a new C7 coming so it is time to sell my beloved 14' model....so what are the best internet sites to post the car for sale...car is located in North Carolina...
Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I've been having pretty good luck with Car Gurus.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:57 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:58 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Use The Corvette Forum

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY
Hey, I have a new C7 coming so it is time to sell my beloved 14' model....so what are the best internet sites to post the car for sale...car is located in North Carolina...
I've bought 2 Corvettes from ads here on the Corvette Forum "For Sale" section. It's free for you as well. You might want to look at the sticky "How To Sell A Corvette" in the C7 classified section for some listing tips. Good luck with it.

Thomas
Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Car max may be worth a try. Certainly not top dollar, but easy transaction
Old 12-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,590 Likes on 5,559 Posts

I'd take it to Carmax to see what they will pay for it then consider they will add a modest profit to help determine your sales point.
Or if you just want to avoid the hassle of selling it yourself some have been pleasantly surprised with how much Carmax offers. And you can typically have a check in hand in
30 minutes to an hour.

Some have success listing in this forum's for sale sub-forum. I've had very good luck with Hemmings for C2s-C3s.
And you may want to check with below:
iBuy Luxury Cars." www.iBuyLC.com
Corvette World in Tx.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:07 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

How to sell a used C7 = price it lower than current market.

Seriously, most of the for sale sites now show how good a price it is based on year/make/model/miles/trim level.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:14 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

can you trade yours in?

in my state you can subtract the trade in value from the new car for tax purposes. Make sure you weigh the lower $$$$ on trade in vs private sale (and the hassle).

good luck

ps. I sold my 08 to a forum member from the opposite coast. Flew in and drove it home. Got my asking less maybe 800 bucks. But I priced it fair.

in end trade in vs sale? Maybe i netted 1000 1500 (including the tax break) but my sale went smoothly... you never know.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 12-10-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 PM
DanInFlorida
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at CarMax recently, when I was selling my C6, and the sales rep said they get overloaded with Corvettes when the next generations are released thereby lowering the offer prices.

I did not sell to CarMax but I used their offer to negotiate a trade in for my C7 Grand Sport. Trading it in saves you on taxes (taxing you less on your new vehicle purchase minusing the difference).
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

I sold my C6 to Carmax. Their offer was higher than KBB trade in and the whole transaction took 45 minutes.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Sold my '14 Z51 right here on the forums (listed in both C7 and my regional sections)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
can you trade yours in?

in my state you can subtract the trade in value from the new car for tax purposes. Make sure you weigh the lower $$$$ on trade in vs private sale (and the hassle).

good luck

ps. I sold my 08 to a forum member from the opposite coast. Flew in and drove it home. Got my asking less maybe 800 bucks. But I priced it fair.

in end trade in vs sale? Maybe i netted 1000 1500 (including the tax break) but my sale went smoothly... you never know.
Here in Arkansas, you can also get the difference in the new car price & private party selling price deducted for tax purposes.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:10 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I have sold a few vehicles to Carmax and will probably sell them my current C7 next year.
It is just so much easier than dealing with the low-balling, time wasting internet tire kickers.
After selling my C6 privately, I never want to sell to anyone thinking about buying a Corvette. Especially a first time Corvette buyer.
They might have been the most ignorant bunch of characters I have ever dealt with. The same goes for the two weeks I had my C7 for sale this year.
Idiots just came out of the wood work. I listed my car thousands cheaper than any C7 I could find in the US and they were still trying to beat me up.
Some of the questions were complete stupidity. Pretty sure none of them did their homework on the car.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:44 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I have sold a few vehicles to Carmax and will probably sell them my current C7 next year.
It is just so much easier than dealing with the low-balling, time wasting internet tire kickers.
After selling my C6 privately, I never want to sell to anyone thinking about buying a Corvette. Especially a first time Corvette buyer.
They might have been the most ignorant bunch of characters I have ever dealt with. The same goes for the two weeks I had my C7 for sale this year.
Idiots just came out of the wood work. I listed my car thousands cheaper than any C7 I could find in the US and they were still trying to beat me up.
Some of the questions were complete stupidity. Pretty sure none of them did their homework on the car.
thats so true. Seems everyone WANTS a Corvette but few of them are willing to pony up the cash. Carmax on a Corvette has been pretty bad here in NC in my opinion. Last one I took there was my Z06 and a 20 something was assigned to assess my car and of course he felt that it needed to be test driven. I almost went to jail after I could hear it being put through it’s paces and when he came back...I discovered he took a friend with him for the “test drive”!!! Then they lo-balled me on the offer and corporate never responded to my calls about the test drive. Makes me mad thinking about it lol!

Also to the original poster, this forum is typically one of the worst places to sell a car unless you are willing to give it away (no offense CF!) I have had the best luck selling on Auto Trader. Being that it is December, don’t plan on an easy sell. No one wants a Corvette in winter (and I am in NC too!) unless it is really really cheap....at your expense. Just my educated opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Yaupon (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,144 Likes on 998 Posts

Reading the responses here about dealing with "ignorant" Corvette buyers is humorous. Imagine the stories dealers who do this daily can tell!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:48 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'd take it to Carmax to see what they will pay for it then consider they will add a modest profit to help determine your sales point.
Or if you just want to avoid the hassle of selling it yourself some have been pleasantly surprised with how much Carmax offers. And you can typically have a check in hand in
30 minutes to an hour.
^
this

Going the Carmax route may give you a very good result and avoid the tire kickers that come by, waste your time w/ a test drive and then go home to think about it. Transaction is fast easy and the check won't bounce.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Reading the responses here about dealing with "ignorant" Corvette buyers is humorous. Imagine the stories dealers who do this daily can tell!
This actually makes me ponder....what are there more stories of? That, or stories of ignorant car salesmen? I mean imagine what it looks like with a stereotypical car salesmen trying to sell an uninformed Corvette buyer a corvette: Salesmen: “Yes Sir this Corvette comes with a mega-powerful V6 that can really put a smile on you, your wife, and your kids faces when you mash the gas pedal!” Customer: “WOW! let’s go do some paperwork!”

One thing about this forum is at least the salesmen here know the cars pretty well.

Get notified of new replies

To How to sell a used C7

Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
When I bought my C6 the battery died and the salesman got “ locked “ inside the car. He had no clue how to get out. I guess it cuts both ways.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

Craigslist - I've sold 3 Vettes successfully - but you do get tire-kickers and dreamers - you just have to weed out the time wasters

AutoTrader - Costs about $50 to $80 (depending how long you want to advertise) but you get national coverage. Sold one Vette there in just 3 days...

Selling here in the For Sale section seems to attract severe low-ballers or folks looking to steal the car but others will say they have had success...so use your best judgement for advertising here.

Regardless where you sell it, make sure you take really clear pictures of important areas of your car. Nobody needs to see the cigarette lighter, but they do want to see the seats, the engine, all sides of the car, etc. Also, if you price it fairly, it will sell. Lastly, you can use Corvette DNA (download on your phone) and it will give you a ball-park where the price should be.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
30 minutes to an hour.

Some have success listing in this forum's for sale sub-forum. I've had very good luck with Hemmings for C2s-C3s.
And you may want to check with below:
iBuy Luxury Cars." www.iBuyLC.com
Corvette World in Tx.

Good luck!

Carmax is your friend. Even if you don't sell it to them, you can get a good idea of value.

(yeah, I know... "I can sell it for thousands more myself!" guys. Some people don't have the time or want the hassles of private-selling a high-$ item, dealing with calls, no-shows, tire-kickers, "woudja take $xxx?" with no money in hand lowballers, or the hassle of accepting a large cash/check sum for the sale from a stranger. Good for you if you enjoy that world. Savings of my time and aggravation often make it worthwhile for for me to take the CarMax cash offer and be done with it.)

Last edited by Kent1999; 12-11-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: How to sell a used C7