Sponsored by:

DI oil deposits, catch can, exh extraction, meth kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default DI oil deposits, catch can, exh extraction, meth kit

As these DI motors seem to have issues with oil getting into the intake via pcv system I was thinking there are 3 solutions that I know of. My car is mostly a daily driver, not a garage monster. I did read about someone using different valve covers with a center PCV location which did a stellar job of dealing with the problem, but for the life of me I can't find that thread now and don't remember if it was here or on the CTS-V forum actually. lol

Using a catch can, which I am not all that fond of, like a mighty mouse or whatever.

Using old school exhaust crankcase evac kit, which can be plumed into the X-pipe such as this: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52210/10002/-1

Or using a meth kit to keep the deposits from building up by washing away the gunk like gas use to do for the intake valves.

I know that water/meth is mainly for cooling and fuel system help on forced induction, but thought it could also serve the purpose of cleaning or reducing the buildup. I haven't seem mention of it used this way, but my search skills are weak.

Any thoughts?

p.s. I am looking at adding something like an A&A kit in the future which I know will only exacerbate the oil issue and is about half of the reason I am asking the question. I put this in general as I am not sure that it fits into performance or power adder sub sections as it applies to general motor health for me.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by Yourconfused; 12-11-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Had you read Tadge's reply to why LT1 does not use a catch can? His reply would suggest LT1 has one internally to the dry sump tank already. Can only assume the LT4 is similar.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...te-engine.html

Last edited by MMD; 12-10-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
Had you read Tadge's reply to why LT1 does not use a catch can? His reply would suggest LT1 has one internally to the dry sump tank already. Can only assume the LT4 is similar.

Thanks, I'll read that tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by MMD

Maybe so but mine still catches oil
The following users liked this post:
Yourconfused (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:44 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KenHorse
But apparently that oil would have been captured by the design of the exisiting dry sump. Seems like you paid for something that is not necessary.

Last edited by MMD; 12-10-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

So What! The real question is does it matter that it catches oil? GM DI engines just don't seem to have the problems that other brands have had. It might be worth doing some research to find out why.

Bill
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
MMD (12-10-2018), NSC5 (12-11-2018), Steve_R (12-10-2018), vettetwo (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I think the oil that causes valve coking comes primarily from the valve guides.
DOHC engines are the type of engine that seems to really suffer from valve coking. I tend to think it's because you have pressure fed oil supply to the cams, and therefore almost submerge the valve stems in oil.
The Chevrolet engine does not have this characteristic, and this is the reasoning behind my hypothesis regarding why the Corvette engine does not suffer from valve coking.

Now hopefully someone can show me how I'm wrong.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 12-10-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

Hose goes directly from drivers valve cover to just in front of the throttle body. Dry sump isn't involved in this. The build up and coking pictures I've seen are LT1s, on this forum and the reason why i don't want to deal with this.

I did read that Ask Tadge and I'm still convinced the issue does exist and from what I've seen it will be problematic and can in no way avoid hurting airflow. Tadge can't exactly say what needs said due to his position, in my opinion.

Last edited by Yourconfused; 12-11-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:15 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
Hose goes directly from drivers valve cover to just in front of the throttle body. Dry sump isn't involved in this. The build up and coking pictures I've seen are LT1s, on this forum and the reason why i don't want to deal with this.

I did read that Ask Tadge and I'm still convinced the issue does exist and from what I've seen it will be problematic and can in no way avoid hurting airflow. Tadge can't exactly say what needs said due to his position, in my opinion.
Link …
Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Link …
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oody-time.html

See post #25 for pic and post #30 for mileage (only 5000 miles).
I didn't start this thread to discuss whether or not the issue exists though.

Last edited by Yourconfused; 12-11-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by MMD

But apparently that oil would have been captured by the design of the exisiting dry sump. Seems like you paid for something that is not necessary.
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
So What! The real question is does it matter that it catches oil? GM DI engines just don't seem to have the problems that other brands have had. It might be worth doing some research to find out why.

Bill
Hey! I love me some placebos!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

Hey! I love me some placebos!
And I love tacos! lol
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Did you read post #34 in the same link you cite? You should. It is clear the coking shown in pics in post 25 you cited cannot be due to PVC system.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Ok well do you have a link to a picture of a stock engine that is driven under normal circumstances ?
Im not knocking on you plans here. The best way to stop pcv oil from entering the intake is with a catch can.
Speaking for myself only, im trying to cut through the hearsay, and get to the bottom of the valve coking issue, which is not a new issue, and is not unique to DFI engines only.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 12-11-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD

Did you read post #34 in the same link you cite? You should. It is clear the coking shown in pics in post 25 you cited cannot be due to PCV system.
Fixed it lol
Read the rest of what you just quote of mine.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:03 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Fixed it lol
Read the rest of what you just quote of mine.
Thanks for correcting typo. I read your statement the first time. You did bring up the issue regarding efficacy of Corvette PCV and dry sump. Your link referenced though are somewhat misleading though as the poster of the pics indicated he had a "breather" system installed on the car and the coking still occured. Think you just shot yourself in the foot with that link.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Ok well do you have a link to a picture of a stock engine that is driven under normal circumstances ?
Im not knocking on you plans here. The best way to stop pcv oil from entering the intake is with a catch can.
Speaking for myself only, im trying to cut through the hearsay, and get to the bottom of the valve coking issue, which is not a new issue, and is not unique to DFI engines only.
I pulled my throttle body and there was oil on its backside and a film in the intake, therefore I assume, as I have not pulled the intake and would rather not, that there would be deposits on the valves. I have close to 11k on the car and want to prevent further buildup. I need to weld an O2 to a downpipe already, different car, and have an X-pipe to install so I was thinking now would be a good time to weld in the exh style crankcase evac if I were to go that route.

Also as I plan to get boost in the near future I know that oil control will become a greater issue than it currently is. The hose going strait from the drivers valve cover to the TB inlet may be the cause of the oil ingestion and looks to be the sole place people are using a catch can which has cemented my thoughts on needing a solution sooner than later. Go pull the TB inlet and poke your finger through your TB blade and see if yours is oily. Maybe your car is not having the same issue. I know some cars of all makes seem to have been produced on a monday and others a wednesday, if you know what I mean. lol

Get notified of new replies

To DI oil deposits, catch can, exh extraction, meth kit

Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD

Thanks for correcting typo. I read your statement the first time. You did bring up the issue regarding efficacy of Corvette PCV and dry sump. Your link referenced though are somewhat misleading though as the poster of the pics indicated he had a "breather" system installed on the car and the coking still occurred. Think you just shot yourself in the foot with that link.
That thread is the only one I had saved so it was the only one I could easily produce a picture for. I am not really interested in proving whether or not this is an issue to anyone, but instead was looking for owners thoughts on implemented solutions. I treat everyone the same whether online, in person or behind their back so I will just assume you haven't dealt with the issue and therefore can't provide any info regarding my query on the 3 options I have asked about. No offense intended. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Last edited by Yourconfused; 12-20-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:41 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I pulled my throttle body and there was oil on its backside and a film in the intake, therefore I assume, as I have not pulled the intake and would rather not, that there would be deposits on the valves. I have close to 11k on the car and want to prevent further buildup. I need to weld an O2 to a downpipe already, different car, and have an X-pipe to install so I was thinking now would be a good time to weld in the exh style crankcase evac if I were to go that route.

Also as I plan to get boost in the near future I know that oil control will become a greater issue than it currently is. The hose going strait from the drivers valve cover to the TB inlet may be the cause of the oil ingestion and looks to be the sole place people are using a catch can which has cemented my thoughts on needing a solution sooner than later. Go pull the TB inlet and poke your finger through your TB blade and see if yours is oily. Maybe your car is not having the same issue. I know some cars of all makes seem to have been produced on a monday and others a wednesday, if you know what I mean. lol
I'm not at all surprised that some amount of oil is present in the intake. Consider it normal, and in spite of this normal condition, the Chev pushrod engine does not seem to suffer from a vale coking problem. My opinion is they will eventually, once the valve guides get a little loose, but not before.
Yourconfused (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:11 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I think I saw it some place the 2014 had a poor set up for a PCV system and after that G,M, per say worked on it and it done much better. Plus I know G.M. had a bad batch of blocks in 2014 that the blocks wasn't set up that good and really needed to be bored like 5,k to fix the problem. This caused a bad blow by on the oil problem into the intake and that.

I know this from what Andy from A/A got one or two of these early c7's in his shop. But even in the later c7 with so called better PCV system if I had any type of blower on the car. No way I would run it without a good catch can on the car.

Now with all the post above & me also if you want one are think you need one get one, If you dont think you do then run the car without one your car do what you want and just have fun in it.. Robert
Yourconfused (12-20-2018)

Quick Reply: DI oil deposits, catch can, exh extraction, meth kit