Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 Ordering Option

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,470 Likes on 741 Posts

Summit Racing 10.67 a quart. Buy 2 cases (12 quarts) for 127.98 and get free shipping.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-123875

Last edited by wrecker3; 12-13-2018 at 10:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wrecker3:
devnull (12-14-2018), thompstl1 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:45 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
Good luck getting this oil for 6 dollars a quart. I wish i could name prices i wanted to pay for everything in life too, but i cant... So many threads wanting this oil for walmart 5w30 prices.

Here is our link to 10 Quarts and we are as competitively priced as we can be. Honestly margins are horrible but we wanted to make this oil easily accessible to all and expand our customer base. We ship this out almost every day to new buyers and now already some repeat buyers all over the country.

https://horsepower-addicts.com/colle...-esp-0w-40-oil
Actually this is a very good price. Thanks for posting. I see you are in Delaware. I'll save your contact info. Just changed the oil in my GS so it will be a while before I reload.

Last edited by MMD; 12-14-2018 at 08:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HorsePowerAddicts (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:15 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,672 Likes on 5,585 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
Good luck getting this oil for 6 dollars a quart. I wish i could name prices i wanted to pay for everything in life too, but i cant... So many threads wanting this oil for walmart 5w30 prices.

Here is our link to 10 Quarts and we are as competitively priced as we can be. Honestly margins are horrible but we wanted to make this oil easily accessible to all and expand our customer base. We ship this out almost every day to new buyers and now already some repeat buyers all over the country.
https://horsepower-addicts.com/colle...-esp-0w-40-oil
Quick delivery too, ordered my 0W-40 on a Sunday had it on Tuesday.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
devnull (12-14-2018), HorsePowerAddicts (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 06:49 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,615 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty
When I asked Exxon/Mobil, I didn't say I had a C7, but they knew by my question. Exxon/Mobil doubts that stores like Walmart will ever stock this oil on their shelves because it is a very, very small market niche and they won't want to lose the shelf space.
Originally Posted by Patman
I think the telltale sign is that they don't even carry the 5w30 ESP Formula at most places right now, Walmart stopped selling it about a year or two ago. ... So I don't see them starting to stock 0w40 ESP Formula now.
Yep shelf space is a very important commodity! Had a neighbor who worked for a company to get their products on the shelf. She would watch completive products and tell the grocery manager if one was not moving. They know their turnover and I recall one method she would use when they acknowledged one was slow and she you have the space for her product when the last sold off the shelf! That was an easy solution, she'd buy the remaining stock an put up the product she represented. We'd occasionally get some of what she bought!

I notice "Triscuit" now has 10 flavors! If you can get the public to demand and the product moves, a competitor looses a spot on the shelf!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-14-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:42 PM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

This store lists the correct part number for a 6 quart case but the photo is not of the correct oil. Might be worth checking into as 12 quarts for $100 with free shipping is best I've seen.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil...ts,371931.html
Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimjimsC7
This store lists the correct part number for a 6 quart case but the photo is not of the correct oil. Might be worth checking into as 12 quarts for $100 with free shipping is best I've seen.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil...ts,371931.html
I don't believe that's the Dexos2.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 PM
WilliamCall
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

At that price, I'd say that the picture is correct. It's the part number that they have in the advertisement that's wrong.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I don't believe that's the Dexos2.
It's NOT. The title states European 0W-40. This has been around for years. Walmart has for about the same price as 5-30 etc of ~$25.00 for a 5 quart jug. (Note jugs are significantly cheaper than quarts, even at Walmart. And Mobil has a $12 rebate for Jugs with 2 allowed per person. The Rebate runs twice a year and lasts several months.)

One bit of possible confusion in the 2 in front of the word dexos. That refers to version 2. There was a version 1 but no longer! The 1 or 2 after the dexos refers to the specification. The dexos 2 was for diesels and it is a tougher spec. The new Mobil 0W-40 ESP in dexos 2. Could it be used for diesels? Yep IF the weight is specified for that diesel. I believe the factory fill for a Duramax diesel is 15W-40.

I know many are enamored with the 0W-40 but the "Forum oil expert" has said viscosity improvers (which is how a 0 weight oil holds it's viscosity to 40 at a specific higher temperature to be rated 40,) in the past he indicated it did not last! He does say he reserves judgment and will await the SDS to see if he can identify a change.)

A 15W-40 has less of the "viscosity Improver" so you're likely to have that weight until it's changed.

I expect Mobil and GM have done all the required testing. But frankly since I don't track, don't get close to 300 F oil temp, I seldom start my car when it's below 40 F- the 5W-30 that came with my 2017 Grand Sport is fine with me and won't change until the price of the ESP is equal to most other Mobil oils at Walmart.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-15-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

One bit of possible confusion in the 2 in front of the word dexos. That refers to version 2. There was a version 1 but no longer! The 1 or 2 after the dexos refers to the specification. The dexos 2 was for diesels and it is a tougher spec. The new Mobil 0W-40 ESP in dexos 2. Could it be used for diesels? Yep IF the weight is specified for that diesel.
Dexos2 was originally a diesel spec but it's beginning to be specified in gasoline engines now. A lot of people do confuse the dexos1 gen 2 symbol to mean dexos2 though. The key is that the dexos1 logo is in green and the dexos2 logo is in blue, so you can immediately identify the oils that have either of those certifications. When you see the green dexos1 logo and you see the number 2 in it as well, that refers to generation 2 which is the latest version of dexos1 and is a better oil as it lessen the chances of LSPI (low speed pre ignition) I believe dexos2 has already addressed that issue a long time ago.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:45 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I called Speeeway for clarification. I have a feeling that it's indeed the right product, but their title is a copy paste disaster. Their technical staff will be back on Monday. I'll either call them during the week, or put an order, asking them to check part number before shipping. Hmm, yeah I'll just do that actually.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Alright, placed the order for 4 cases, and put a note asking them to check. We'll see!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:16 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patman
Dexos2 was originally a diesel spec but it's beginning to be specified in gasoline engines now. A lot of people do confuse the dexos1 gen 2 symbol to mean dexos2 though. The key is that the dexos1 logo is in green and the dexos2 logo is in blue, so you can immediately identify the oils that have either of those certifications. When you see the green dexos1 logo and you see the number 2 in it as well, that refers to generation 2 which is the latest version of dexos1 and is a better oil as it lessen the chances of LSPI (low speed pre ignition) I believe dexos2 has already addressed that issue a long time ago.
This is a pic that causes some confusion as the 2 in front of the dexos logo on the front of the container, is for version 2 NOT the dexos 2 spec. Have to read the spec info. I did save it WAS used and required for diesels but if they can meet it what not list it. But can't just use it for any diesel unless the weight range is acceptable.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:37 AM
MMD
Safety Car

I think JerryU's pic on the right side is for the European version of M1. Two things that are different on the label compared with the US version of the Corvette oil is the label for the Euro version indicates 1 L (liter) and also the wording "Fully Synthetic". The US version shows 1 QT with the wording "Advance Synthetic". I don't believe the European version is recommended for the Vette.

Last edited by MMD; 12-15-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MMD
I think JerryU's pic on the right side is for the European version of M1. Two things that are different on the label compared with the US version of the Corvette oil is the label for the Euro version indicates 1 L (liter) and also the wording "Fully Synthetic". The US version shows 1 QT with the wording "Advance Synthetic". I don't believe the European version is recommended for the Vette.

So far as I can tell, the GM spec for the 0W-40 is:
"ESP 0W-40 Dexos2"
If it says that on the bottle, then I think it's ok. Whether the two oils are actually a little different, or just two different people wrote the label, is unclear to me.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:04 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I know many are enamored with the 0W-40 but the "Forum oil expert" has said viscosity improvers (which is how a 0 weight oil holds it's viscosity to 40 at a specific higher temperature to be rated 40,) in the past he indicated it did not last! He does say he reserves judgment and will await the SDS to see if he can identify a change.)

A 15W-40 has less of the "viscosity Improver" so you're likely to have that weight until it's changed.

I expect Mobil and GM have done all the required testing. But frankly since I don't track, don't get close to 300 F oil temp, I seldom start my car when it's below 40 F- the 5W-30 that came with my 2017 Grand Sport is fine with me and won't change until the price of the ESP is equal to most other Mobil oils at Walmart.
Traditionally VIs deteriorate more rapidly than the oil and the broader the viscosity coverage (i.e., 40 for 0w40 vs. 25 for 5w30) the faster the oil will lose its viscosity specs from engine heat over time. That said, this may have mitigated over time as oil formulas improve. But my GS never sees the track and although I've never seen oil temp higher than 200°, even in summer gridlock traffic, I'll stick with the 0w30 for my street use. Besides, I've stockpiled the 0w30 after a few years of hording while taking advantage of M1 rebates and low Walmart prices, What's more, my truck also uses 0w30, which simplifies things considerably.

Last edited by iclick; 12-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Here's info from Mobil1, which clears up which oil is correct for C7:

The following users liked this post:
bosco1 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 01:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MMD

Nope, The European Formal says that on the container, NOT ESP. In addition, you'll see there is NO dexos label. Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etc don't care about it meeting any "stinking" GM spec that folks have to pay tribute to GM to buy!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-15-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 Ordering Option

Old 12-15-2018, 01:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

I recently had the dealer change the oil in my car and provide an extra quart for later on. Here are the pictures of the container I have in the garage.

Note the Bar Code is 071924471115

The key item defining this oil from the European Formula is the ESP Formula (Emissions System Protection) Logo. If you check the Answers in the ask Tadge section you will see where he says the Mobil 1 15W50 oil recommended for track usage wasn't recommended for street usage because it reduced catalytic converter life (causing increased warranty claims under the 80K/8 Year Emissions Warranty) and decreased fuel mileage. The ESP Formula resolves those two problems.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-15-2018 at 01:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
bosco1 (12-25-2018), malexand123 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 01:21 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Nope, The European Formal says that on the container, NOT ESP. In addition, you'll see there is NO dexos label. Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etc don't care about it meeting any "stinking" GM spec that folks have to pay tribute to GM to buy!
Your post #32 show a 1 Liter bottle of oil (which I was referring) and this is what has been online for sale as the European variant. Note the 1 Liter label. I have also found a European Material Data Safety Sheet indicating it's Dexos2 certified this oil as well. I believe the oil you show here is not the Dexos2 Euro oil but some other oil. It doesn't mention GM on the label.

Last edited by MMD; 12-15-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MMD

Your post #32 show a 1 Liter bottle of oil (which I was referring) and this is what has been online for sale as the European variant. Note the 1 Liter label. I have also found a European Material Data Safety Sheet indicating it's Dexos2 certified this oil as well. I believe the oil you show here is not the Dexos2 Euro oil but some other oil. It doesn't mention GM on the label.

Yep, someone mentioned they may have changed the European oil and made it the ESP dexos 2. The Euopean 0W-40 has been in Walmart for about the same, under $25/5 quart jug. Maybe it will replace the old European product and will have a lower price!

Perhpas as mentioned above, shelf space is a very important, limited resorce at Walmart and every retailer. For Walmart (and others) it’s much more important than a few $s extra margin!

Side Bar:
Remnded years ago of going with our National Accounts Manager to Sam’s when we had a chance to get their oxyacetylene outfit business. There were located in a large metal building next to Walmart headquarters in an old high school building in Bentonville AK. To emphasize their “low cost” philosophy, no ties were allowed and you bought coffee in the wating area for $0.10 as I recall.

We met with that commodity buyer on a wooden picknick table with ~6 foot partitions between the numerous buyers tables. I remember the buyer said, "We just put a small mark-up on your price because we’re just in business to get ‘good deals’ for their Club Members." I recall he said something like 12%. So I priced the product just under the competitive incumbent offering. He said fine, you pick any ~5 Culub stores you want to have a trial. We did.

Our National Accounts Manager was telling him about the superior features of our product. He said very clearly, "I don’t care if it’s an oxyacetylene outfit or duct tape! I only am allotted a fixed amount of shelf space in the CLUB! Whatever product gets the most revenue is all I care about!"

Last edited by JerryU; 12-19-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 Ordering Option