Old 01-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You seem to be saying “5W-40 work ok”.
I agree.
You also seem to be saying “GM and their lawyers won’t care”.
I disagree.
They have a well established history of denying warranty claims on cars with any power train computer tunes and don’t give a hoot if the tune was unrelated to the failure. They could get just as picky with the oil if they want.

The chances of of having an expensive engine problem and GM denying coverage due to the oil are small but not zero.
Using one of the specified oils is easy.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^
What is neat about the current Mobil 1 $12 rebate/5 quart Jug is you can keep the original purchase receipts. It shows what was purchased. Walmart had the AC PF-64 filter as well. I scan and send a PDF or jpg file. Can take pic with your phone if desired and just attach to their Internet form. The oil receipts also show the date and although no proof it was changed with all of them I keep in an envelop with my Owner's Manual it does show a consistent pattern.

Although I have been successful getting GM to pay for a clutch pressure plate and more recently a hole in an AC condenser on my C6 they initially said "could be" caused by a rock, why take a chance. For the condenser, I paid $800 and after showing with pics the hole was from the inside, they reimbursed the full amount!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-02-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:00 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

But... many of us don't drive in winter and when I do I start and finish from my insulated garage so 5W low end is just fine. The tires are far more of limiting factor than the 5W. This Valvoline is a great alternative for most of us and available locally at Advance Auto and Walmart.

Originally Posted by clarkkent06
Thicker winter viscosity than recommended, however. For $9 a quart get the correct oil from Speedway
Re: Valvoline 5W-40 Dexos 2
Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
That's not true. Just because it has lower zinc does not mean less wear protection. They have other anti wear additives that they use as well, and they make up for the difference in the slightly lower zinc (and honestly, that 110 ppm of zinc is not a big drop anyways) Simply put, the European 0w40 that's been on the shelves for years is not a good oil for a direct injected engine, it's sulfated ash level is much too high (1.34% vs 0.8%) and long term use would create more deposits than the ESP Formula would. And as far as you saying the ESP Formula is barely a 40 weight, well it has the exact same viscosity as the European formula 0w40, both are 12.9 cst at 100c.
Huh?
So the Germans have had DI for almost 10 years running EU Xw40 oil and now its bad for DI engines?
Diesels have had DI engines for I don’t know how many years running all sorts of various Xw40 oils and its no good for a DI engine.
SMH
Old 01-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

"You seem to be saying “5W-40 work ok”.
I agree.
I disagree.
They have a well established history of denying warranty claims on cars with any power train computer tunes and don’t give a hoot if the tune was unrelated to the failure. They could get just as picky with the oil if they want.

The chances of of having an expensive engine problem and GM denying coverage due to the oil are small but not zero.
Using one of the specified oils is easy."

I totally disagree. You are conflating two totally different issues. Tunes make significant changes to the firmware that govern engine operating parameters. That is an obvious example of where the warranty could be impacted as this is considered a modification.

With regards to most likely the creation of the Magnusom Moss Warranty act it has become common knowledge that a warranty claim will not be denied as long as one complies with the requirements specifically written in the owners manual. Unless otherwise specifically precluded in writing, using 5W-40 oil that meets GM specifications cannot be grounds for denying a warranty claim. In addition if something like a specific engine oil is required to keep the manufacturer warranty in effect, it should be provided free of charge to the consumer. You cannot force a consumer to spend more money to keep the warranty in effect. Thus requiring the Mobil 1 brand to be used would not be a requirement to keep the warranty in effect unless specifically stated in the owners manual and provided to the consumer free from charge. It is recommended, but that is as far as GM can go.

Last edited by Frosty; 01-02-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
I am not an "Oil Guy" lets get that out of the way

I can attest to both the EU 0w40 and the dexos 2 US 0w40 and there is a major difference in oil pressure...

I have had 2 oil changes with 0w40 and found out the dealership put in the EU 0w40 on my last oil change, the parts manager told me he went to the auto parts store and bought it because they did not have it a year ago.. I was not aware until this oil change..

The EU version has WAY higher oil pressure on shifts, we are talking hitting 60 psi and falling back down to 30.... The US version is solid and barely fluctuates from 30 psi to just over 40 when getting on it...

my thoughts are the EU version is a lighter weight oil and thats is why the oil pressure is fluctuating so much... I will continue to spend the extra money for protection in -20 degrees and 115 degree weather we have here in Oklahoma..
I see your not an ‘oil guy’.
If you are seeing increased pressure the oil viscosity is thicker NOT thinner and just the opposite for the US spec.
I see you will continue to spend MORE money for LESS protection..... you want it slightly higher in your 115* OK temps and the 0w rating is going to flow near the same in the cold.
The following users liked this post:
cowboy casey (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:33 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
You seem to be saying “5W-40 work ok”.
I agree.
I disagree.

Using one of the specified oils is easy.

Story time.

BMW used to specify that ONLY Castrol TWS 10W-60 can be used in their S designate engines in the Ms since 2000 time frame*. So dutifully I paid $15-17 a quart at least once a year for the liquid gold to be filled in the engine's crank in my little Z4 M Coupe. Actually, BMW doesn't even say "recommended." They say "REQUIRED" in their dealer communications and in the owner's manual too. Reason being, the S54 and on up engines (S62, S64, S65, S85...etc) during the early 2000 to early 2010, all the naturally aspirated BMW M engines have exceedingly TIGHT tolerances in the bearing. So tight that at higher operating temperatures the thinner oil that used to be "okay" for BMW M engines (on the S50/S52 E36 M3s in the 90s, for example), like a xW-30 or xW-40, gets too thin at the stratospheric RPMs and piston velocities that these engines operate in that it gets squeezed out of the bearings and BOOM. Engine bearing failure. For a point of reference, early S54s equipped on E46 M3s in 2001-2003, as well as S54 equipped Z3 M Coupes, were grinding themselves during the warranty period enough that BMW basically laid down the law and say that anyone putting anything other than the Castrol TWS 10W-60 in these engines, and the engine blows? We're not covering it.

So Castrol was reaping the reward of partnering with BMW for the scarcity and the specific application made the TWS 10W-60 like liquid gold. At one point dealerships charged $25-30 per bottle, causing a 5.5 liter oil change to cost well over $200 with oil ALONE. For those of us outside of the service contract period, it's a tough pill to swallow. Especially when you tack on dealer service fees and up-charges it can cost as much as $500 for a simple oil change on a BMW M car in the mid 2000s.

Eventually BMW soured on the relationship with Castrol and went to Shell for their lubrication relationship in the mid 201x. All of a sudden, now, ANY 10W-60 oil will do for those same engines. In fact, BMW even loosened the weight requirement to where some 15W-50 weight oil are acceptable, as long as it meets BMW LL-01 (think DEXOS 1) standard. I've since switched to Lubro Moly 10W-60, which IS BMW LL-01 approved AND cost me $60 for a 5qt bottle and 2x 1qt bottles.

As it FURTHER turns out, the problem with the early S54 engines were primarily due to improperly engineered lubricant passage leading to oil starvation of the bearings at high engine speeds. Lubrication had little to do with why they were blowing up (well, lack of lubrication was the "why") but it was a good excuse for BMW to deny warranty to anyone not using the Castrol TWS 10W-60.

So what does this have to do with GM and Corvette's oil?

The owner's manual did not specify "REQUIRE." Nor does the owner's manual say you can only use Mobil 1 branded DEXOS 2 ESP oil. The owner's manual only recommends Mobil 1. And the owner's manual specifies a SAE viscosity grade for each engine (LT1, LT4, LT5 etc), but all language related to it says "recommends" or "recommended." To my untrained, non-legal eye, it means anything that meets GM's specifications (like, oh, say, ACDelco DEXOS1 synthetic BLEND, as specified in the owner's manual) for DEXOS certification, 0W or 5W for winter operation, all the way up to 15W for warmer climates, and 30 weight for street use, but 40 weight for track and competitive use for LT1 and LT4 and 50 weight for LT5 is acceptable. While GM "recommends" Mobil 1, they actually use ACDelco fill at the dealership AND from the factory up until 2019 production.

So while the 0W-40 DEXOS 2 Mobil 1 ESP is the preferred fill from 2019 on, and it's backwards compatible for older C7s, it is NOT a mandatory fill. The only stipulation is that the 0W-40 and the 15W-50 is mandatory for TRACK use as Chevy/GM uses the word "MUST" in the owner's manual for each respective engine. The 0W-40 is backwards compatible for 2019s and before for track use and street use. This means any 40 weight DEXOS certified oil is acceptable for track use (since the xW- is the winter weight) and for warm climates, 5W-40 is acceptable for street use and track use provided that it's DEXOS certified.

As for GM denying warranty if it's not Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP DEXOS 2 fill, I fail to see how that can be enforced. Heck before 2019 no Corvette, be it base Stingray, Z51, Grand Sport, or Z06 came filled with the 0W-40 ESP.
The following 2 users liked this post by The HACK:
Frosty (01-02-2019), sjw91 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Everyone gets to make their own choices.

In our 2017 and the 2019 Owner Manual, they don't "recommend" oil weights, they simply say "use" what they tell you. They say, depending on situation and year: 0W-40, 5W-30, 15W-50 (and 0W-30 for our 2017 below -20'F). They do not list any 5W-40.
The listed oil viscosities been tested and approved by GM for our engine, work well, and are easy for me to get.
I have no interest in using something that others think will be ok or think GM will accept if you have problems. Probably, everything would be ok. But I prefer to bet on the sure thing.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie

Huh?
So the Germans have had DI for almost 10 years running EU Xw40 oil and now its bad for DI engines?
Diesels have had DI engines for I don’t know how many years running all sorts of various Xw40 oils and its no good for a DI engine.
SMH
Shake your head all you want, but you're providing inaccurate information, so I corrected you on it. The European Car Formula 0w40 does not provide more protection over the ESP version, and if GM thought it was ok to use in the Corvette it would be factory fill over the ESP Formula. Or maybe you think you know better than GM now?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Everyone gets to make their own choices.

In our 2017 and the 2019 Owner Manual, they don't "recommend" oil weights, they simply say "use" what they tell you. They say, depending on situation and year: 0W-40, 5W-30, 15W-50 (and 0W-30 for our 2017 below -20'F). They do not list any 5W-40.
The listed oil viscosities been tested and approved by GM for our engine, work well, and are easy for me to get.
I have no interest in using something that others think will be ok or think GM will accept if you have problems. Probably, everything would be ok. But I prefer to bet on the sure thing.
Doesn't a 5W-40 oil have a broader temperature applicability range than a 5W30? IMHO, a higher upper viscosity weight of 40W is going to be generally more applicable for use in the hot summer weather of Florida than a 30W oil will. If the factory fill is 5W-30, then what could possibly be considered detrimental with using a 5W-40 for daily driving? Please tell me. It is intended to be an honest question.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

My answer is that sometimes GM is honest and even generous in their warranty interpretations, sometimes they are trickier than a bunch of Philadelphia lawyers. Hard to be sure which way they will go.
Since 5W-40 is not an authorized viscosity, they could hang their hat on that if they want to be dicks.
Fighting them in court could cost more than a new Corvette.

If the car is out of powertrain warranty due to age/miles/mods, then I would have no qualms about a Dexos2 ESP 5W-40 in your location. It might even be better in your application than any of the authorized oils.
If I had to bet one way or the other, I'd bet on GM not giving you a hard time over warranty. But as mentioned, I prefer to bet on the sure thing.

Enjoy your warm weather!

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 Ordering Option