C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Ive been driving new Corvettes for 20 years..when the nd mx5 released there were all these articles how it harkened back to the NA mx5 miata..

a nearby firechief was selling his 1994 black mx5 in excellent condition so in a whim i bought the little car in addition to my corvette.

for the first wo three months I laughed my *** off whipping that little thing....and then one day all the fun was gone..it was october and the roof had to stay up and when i drove the little car all the fun was gone.

im sorry but that thing was a slug..even with the mx5 butterfly frame stiffeners ...i jad installed...the flexible little car was garbage... i was on a kick to test drive the ND mx5 back to back to see if the NA and the ND were actually similiar in driving experiencces as the press had lathered praise on both...i wasnt that impressed with either ..

it was slow...it didnt really handle that great..it was just so small the lanes of the road seemed huge so it was easy to drive and keep on the road...

i sold it after four months of ownership to the first person who came to see it for double what I paid for it...

i was glad to have tried this supposedly great little sports car...but for those that say its all the sports car you ll ever need for the street...

i say you guys are on crack....

ill take my 3200 lb 450 hp c6 corvette z51 manual as my daily driver...ive put on 128k miles so far and its been a joy to own...

the mx5 was a novelty for a short term at best ..

certainly wouldnt buy another one,

i also tried the jaguar f tyoe supercharged v8 and a porsche boxster s too...

i wasnt impressed with either as well..

my wife was suggesting I try something else other than a corvette for variety...

next up a c7 z06 m7 or a c8 z51 dct....and Im heavily leaning to the rear mid engine c8 z51 with dct for a new driving experience...i liked the shirt hood of the porsche and think the c8 will deliver exotic car driving experiences for a couple of laughs.

The MX5 is not close to the class of the Corvette.

I would like to consider the C8, but I think it will be priced over my head.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:08 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Dam, I wish the OP told me the C7 is no good. The wife has put 50k daily driven miles. She seems to enjoy the power. I’ll let her know the smiles are misplaced. My car has 20k miles with solid bushing and I still daily it. Seems maybe different people have different skill sets and desires.

Last edited by rb185afm; 12-18-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:21 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

IVe been daily driving my LS3 c6 z51 m6 since I bought it in november 2007.

i slap snow tires and wheels for the winter months and im good to go.

whats the problem with daily driving corvettes all year long (in the north east)

nothing. I put 128k miles on so far and every drive is awesome...

life is too short not to enjoyas many moments as possible.

thats just me...

im not saving my **** for the next guy

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-18-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:34 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The C7s are way, way overpowered for the streets and highways. That becomes crystal clear when driving one using any of it's raw power supply. The Grand Sport, Z51 and ZO6 versions are ridiculously powered. The Grand Sport is bought mostly on looks and bragging rights - of course most all of the Grand Sport chest-beaters claim their C7 is faster than yours, only they've probably never raced anyone, much less raced anyone on their keyboards. LOL! It just gets worse with the ZO6 version of the C7. Ungodly power, and the associated bragging rights it buys on the Internet. LOL!

Your assessment of the power of these (C7) monsters mirrors mine. FWIW, I've never used more than 3/4 throttle accelerating - I've never needed to, I have no complaints about this massive power, even in my base-engine C7. Mine's lit-em-up from a dead stop light with 1/2 throttle, even with the Traction Control engaged! I knew these things were scary quick and fast before ever buying one. I keep the horses under control by not using them. My reasons for buying a new C7 were; I'd owned a new one previously a C3 42 years ago, so I was already Corvette-approved in my mind. That is, I didn't have to sell myself on the Corvette C7 as a model or brand. I was in. Secondly; I wanted a stick shift, manual transmission car. Check. Thirdly, I love the looks of the C7 - esp. the convertible. They're beautiful cars. And of course I could afford any new C7 model I chose. Check, check, and double CHECK! I've never had even one mechanical issue with the two new Corvettes I've bought. I could not have made a better choice.
LMAO. Joe you are going to be the perfect candidate for a V6 Corvette. All show and no go. But you’ll save a few bucks and will have nothing to brag about. The Mustang crowd has had them for years. You’ll also get better fuel mileage 👍🏻
Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by schappy
I currently have a '16 Miata and last weekend I took a test drive in a Corvette Grand Sport convertible. I did this for two reasons. First, I have never driven a Corvette (even though I have owned two Z/28's in the distant past, one of which could do low 12's in the quarter) and I felt I owed it to myself to consider one. Second, I have been very seriously considering doing the LS swap in my Miata from Flyin Miata.
As an owner of a '00 C5, a '14 C7, and a '99 NB Miata with an LS1 swap, thought I'd chime in.

The Miata is a really fun, tossable car. It's great by itself on a 2 lane road. Get behind a slow car, and it's darn near impossible to pass them unless you take stupid chances trying to pass in no-passing zones. Amazingly frustrating. With the LS1 conversion, I can pass a car!

I've given countless rides in the Miata, and the #1 comment I get is "How do you keep this thing out of the ditch?" My answer is "the throttle isn't a light switch. You DO have the ability to not put it on the floor all the time."

Is 1st gear useless at WOT? Yeah, so what? Can I spin the tires in 2nd? Sure. I can also take a stock NB, get it up to xx mph, dive into a corner, lock up the brakes, and go straight off into the trees. Just like I can with my C5 or C7.

If your idea of having fun is WOT winding out to redline without getting to crazy speeds, then just about every new car isn't going to satisfy that, including the Miata (at least past 2nd gear). An old Honda CRX or Civic SI, an older classic sports car like an E30 BMW, etc. will scratch that itch much better.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Ditto!

The C7 shuts down all the posers that think and try to out-accelerate you. There's no contest. .
Originally Posted by saleen556
LMAO. Joe you are going to be the perfect candidate for a V6 Corvette. All show and no go. But you’ll save a few bucks and will have nothing to brag about. The Mustang crowd has had them for years. You’ll also get better fuel mileage 👍🏻
Lol. Joe is a bit melodramatic & his comments are kind of all over the place. Just in his post you quoted he says the cars are - overpowered, ridiculously powered, & have ungodly power. His C7 lights up the tires with 1/2 throttle with the traction control on (that's an amazing Stingray considering my Z06 can't do that). He keeps the horses under control by not using them.

Then in the next post he brags about how the car shuts down all posers. What? Didn't he just say the car has too much power & he doesn't use the power but now all of a sudden he tries to outrun anyone who attempts to out accelerate him.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:48 PM
LimeyC5
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Miatas are not 'gay' because they actually handle (so I'm told). They are just small, cramped and should come with more power from the factory. Now the Smartcar, that's gay.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,190 Likes on 592 Posts

I've test driven a couple of different year Miata's while killing time at the dealer getting service on my daughters 6. I understand the whole "tossable" part but I just don't fit in one. They are not built for anyone over 6' in my opinion and even if you force your legs in there you are looking at the roof cowling. The car is likely great fun if you fit but even then it's not in the same league as a Corvette. Cheap way to track on a weekend? Absolutely. A car I would want to cruise in on the weekends or take on a week long road trip cross country. No, not even if my legs could fit in there somehow.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I like being able to get into and out of tight spots faster without having to push my car as hard as a 4 banger. Speed limits the same for both regardless I just get to the speed limit faster. Doesn't mean it's not as much fun. It's more fun for me to rage right to the speed limit and then just let it fall off and cruise like you know I could have gone a lot faster if I wanted to.

Last edited by Natrlone93; 12-18-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
I understand the whole "tossable" part...
FYI my C5 is just as tossable as my NB. The stock Miata roll bars are so small that there's a ton of body lean, which increases the sensation of being tossable without actually transitioning any better than the C5 (haven't really had a chance to autox/track my C7 to tell the difference.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

So I had a 2011 Z4 35i.......tuned with full bolt ons and e85 (still on stock snails), It was a Twin Turbo Straight 6 making about 450hp / 500tq @4200rpm (in a 3200lb roadster) and with a DCT you never leave boost thanks to no lift shift......she was well known in "Mexico"

She felt a bit sloppy but, wider wheels, some thicker sways and Pilot Sport 4S cured that - from there she was tossable (took Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala, Twisted Sisters just fine)

Too bad it broke all the time.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:40 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,190 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
FYI my C5 is just as tossable as my NB. The stock Miata roll bars are so small that there's a ton of body lean, which increases the sensation of being tossable without actually transitioning any better than the C5 (haven't really had a chance to autox/track my C7 to tell the difference.

Have a good one,
Mike
For me the feeling of it being tossable is not the body lean or roll but more from the fact that it weighs a half ton less than my C7.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:38 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

There is NO difference in power between the Stingray and the Z51 or Grand Sport....both have 460hp with the NPP exhaust....the GEARING is different however.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:59 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
There is NO difference in power between the Stingray and the Z51 or Grand Sport....both have 460hp with the NPP exhaust....the GEARING is different however.
Not true...gearing is the same for Z51 and GS. Gearing for the Stingray is different than the Z51/GS gearing.

Quick Reply: Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?