C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:00 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by schappy
It is interesting that you mention AWD vehicles as my last two were both AWD (Golf R & Audi S4) and both were obviously less powerful than a Corvette. I think I really need to take another test drive and perhaps even rent one for a weekend to really get a feel for it.
So if you become a new Corvette owner, GM will send you to Spring Mountain (at discount price). That is the place I learned a lot about leashing the beast.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffthunbird (12-15-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,190 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by AceG
From what i heard, on a track all you see is miatas flying past you being so small nimble
At autox, Miatas are often very competitive with Vettes, especially if there are no straights. On a road course, it's a very different story. I used to do HPDs with a buddy with a turbo Miata when I had an 01 Z06. In the corners we were pretty much equal, but once we hit the straights I'd walk away from him even with his turbo. Typically in a 15 minute session, if I started out in front I'd be back on his bumper by the end of the session (depended on other traffic).
Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I can not think of too many cars you can drive flat out on the street. As for the Vette my 2019 Z06 Convertible is a pleasure to drive whether using 20% of its power or in selected spots 100% of its power. Sometimes just a taste of its power is enough to make your day.
Using your filet mignon/cheeseburger analogy with the Vette you get both and as much of each whenever you want.
THIS.

If I drive a Miata flat out I can get into serious trouble too. Like land in jail trouble very quick. The difference is sound, fury, and magnitude. You do sh*t that would land you in jail in a Miata, most other bystanders won't notice except for the LEO asking you to step out of the car. You do the same sh*t in a C7 Corvette? Not only will the LEO that ask you to step out of your car notice, so will EVERYONE ELSE.

I've driven my share of sporty cars, both on the street and on track, and to be honest? The power delivery of the Corvette is actually pretty manageable. It's shockingly linear and predictable. It's not like some of the newer turbocharged 4s that kick in unexpected, nor do you need to wind it out to some stratospheric top RPM to get real power (like my S54 equipped Z4 M Coupe). It's there when you want it, there when you don't. Just all depends on how much YOU ask for it.

I find the LT1 equipped car very sedate and civilized on the street. The S54 equipped Z4 M Coupe actually is a lot more of a handful to drive, because of the short gearing and the high-revving, individual throttle bodied cylinders. It's only when you ask for it does it let you know that it's a massive V8 capable of delivering over 400 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels at any time.

It's actually a little like driving my wife's diesel, actually. That little 6 cylinder diesel has over 420 ft-lbs of torque and can go from 60-120mph in a blink of an eye. Just ask the officer that eventually caught me about 20 minutes later (no I weaseled out of going to jail on that one).

Last edited by The HACK; 12-13-2018 at 07:15 PM.
bimmerborn (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Am I just getting old? Have you ever had these thoughts with your car?
Yes, you are getting old. I turn 74 on Christmas and I put my foot into it in my C7 vert every day.

The following 2 users liked this post by F4 Phantom:
joemessman (12-14-2018), obxchartercaptain (12-19-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:20 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
Sounds like it.

No.

I'm kinda new here but this is the most ridiculous thread I've seen so far. I can't even believe you took the time to create an account to post this. You clearly don't want a C7 so......I has a confused????
, Except for "I has a confused????"

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 12-13-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:23 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

An ND RF was on my short list when looking for a new car. In fact, I had pretty much narrowed it down to the RF or a Vette.

I test drove an 18 RF (knowing the 19's would have a hp bump, so I was gonna wait for the 19 release) and honestly, coming from our Scat Charger, it just felt so underpowered and it was... So.. Dang... Small... When I got back the salesman said, "Well, did you have fun?"
​​​​​​
I answered an honest "No." But if I hadn't been driving our Charger for half a year, I might not have felt that way. But to have 400+hp and that exhaust sound... Man, I just wasn't sure I could give that up!

Add to that no glove box and horrible blind spots and no real storage to speak of... Then there's the unbelievable looks of the C7 Vette, well, that's the direction I went.

I still visit the Miata forum to see what's new. They seem like great cars and their owners adore them. I can't say I don't wonder about owning one still. But I think if I had gotten the Miata, I would have always regretted not getting the Vette.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Sconn; 12-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:26 PM
TimAF
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Miata

I too own a 16 Miata. Its is modified as much as I can and still stay in C street in SCCA autox. It is a ball to drive. Very predictable, and is fun to push to the limit. I also just bought a 2019 Grand Sport.. The first couple of times I took it out it was a little intimidating. It is crazy fast and huge compared to the Miata. I've had the car for several thousand miles now and absolutely love the car. I took it to its first autocross last weekend, and at first it seemed so wide compared to the Miata, but by the end of the day, it didn't seem any wider than the Miata. First time out I, without race tires, I was 14 out 50 and no Miatas were faster.

My point is it just takes some getting used to. I 've had sports cars all of my life, including two Miata's, and I kick myself daily for not owning a Corvette earlier. This is, by far, the best sports car I've ever owned.

Last edited by TimAF; 12-13-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Mike Campbell (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:34 PM
C7 Vert
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I will never put down another persons ride over my own. I have a C7 convertible and love it. I have plenty of power and I respect it too. I went to Spring Mountain class and totally enjoyed the Corvette and the instruction given. Everyone thinks they are racer car drivers until you experience the class. Then you get to ride with one of the instructors, they CAN drive! I was in the faster class and those guys can drive for real. A Maita is in a different class of its own and a C7 Corvette in its own right. Depends on your cup of tea, Corvettes ar not for everyone nor are Miatas. Choice is up to the person, life is short, so enjoy whatever makes you happy.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 PM
schappy
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimAF
I too own a 16 Miata. Its is modified as much as I can and still stay in C street in SCCA autox. It is a ball to drive. Very predictable, and is fun to push to the limit. I also just bought a 2019 Grand Sport.. The first couple of times I took it out it was a little intimidating. It is crazy fast and huge compared to the Miata. I've had the car for several thousand miles now and absolutely love the car. I took it to its first autocross last weekend, and at first it seemed so wide compared to the Miata, but by the end of the day, it didn't seem any wider than the Miata. First time out I, without race tires, I was 14 out 50 and no Miatas were faster.

My point is it just takes some getting used to. I 've had sports cars all of my life, including two Miata's, and I kick myself daily for not owning a Corvette earlier. This is, by far, the best sports car I've ever owned.
Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, thank you!

Last edited by schappy; 12-13-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

I pretty much expected at least one person to take this post as being negative. Thanks for being open minded and welcoming.
If you were legit shopping for a C7 my response would have been different. You aren't. I don't know why you're here.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:52 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

What's the point again?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I currently have a '16 Miata and last weekend I took a test drive in a Corvette Grand Sport convertible. I did this for two reasons. First, I have never driven a Corvette (even though I have owned two Z/28's in the distant past, one of which could do low 12's in the quarter) and I felt I owed it to myself to consider one. Second, I have been very seriously considering doing the LS swap in my Miata from Flyin Miata.

Well, after driving the Corvette, I think I just cured my desire to do an LS swap, as I felt the Grand Sport had a totally ridiculous amount of power for the street. There was no way you can ever drive that car flat out often enough, on the street, to get comfortable with how it reacts at the limit. It also wanted to light up the tires from a rolling start in first gear when I put the pedal down.

What was really interesting was how fast things happen when gunning it. Time and distance seem to contract and I really questioned whether I could react fast enough if I a car next to me decided to do something unexpected.

I can only assume that a Miata with similar power would be even more ridiculous.

After the test drive, I got back into my Miata and, while certainly slower, the difference didn't feel as stark. I attribute this to the fact that I could give myself a feeling of "driving" the car, given the lower power level, a lot more than just feathering around in the Corvette. Yes, at WOT, the Corvette was a totally different experience, but one that could only be enjoyed in small bites.

Put simply, I feel like I would have more fun driving my Miata flat out all the time than I would driving the Corvette around most of the time at 20%. I guess for me I would rather have a huge cheeseburger as opposed to just a fork of filet mignon.

I plan to take another drive in a C7 convertible, just to see if I feel the same after another test drive.

Am I just getting old? Have you ever had these thoughts with your car?

Again, this is purely driving on the street. Obviously track driving is a totally different environment and one where the Corvette is at home.

I would really like to get some feedback from the owners here to see if they ever feel this way. Perhaps it is just my preferred driving style that is not necessarily conducive to driving a Corvette?
The C7s are way, way overpowered for the streets and highways. That becomes crystal clear when driving one using any of it's raw power supply. The Grand Sport, Z51 and ZO6 versions are ridiculously powered. The Grand Sport is bought mostly on looks and bragging rights - of course most all of the Grand Sport chest-beaters claim their C7 is faster than yours, only they've probably never raced anyone, much less raced anyone on their keyboards. LOL! It just gets worse with the ZO6 version of the C7. Ungodly power, and the associated bragging rights it buys on the Internet. LOL!

Your assessment of the power of these (C7) monsters mirrors mine. FWIW, I've never used more than 3/4 throttle accelerating - I've never needed to, I have no complaints about this massive power, even in my base-engine C7. Mine's lit-em-up from a dead stop light with 1/2 throttle, even with the Traction Control engaged! I knew these things were scary quick and fast before ever buying one. I keep the horses under control by not using them. My reasons for buying a new C7 were; I'd owned a new one previously a C3 42 years ago, so I was already Corvette-approved in my mind. That is, I didn't have to sell myself on the Corvette C7 as a model or brand. I was in. Secondly; I wanted a stick shift, manual transmission car. Check. Thirdly, I love the looks of the C7 - esp. the convertible. They're beautiful cars. And of course I could afford any new C7 model I chose. Check, check, and double CHECK! I've never had even one mechanical issue with the two new Corvettes I've bought. I could not have made a better choice.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:58 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Temps were in the mid-70's, so that was not an issue. However, it was a used one with 8K miles on it. I forgot to check the tires to see how worn they were. But more to the point of my post is that I felt like if I had one, I would be holding back most of the time I drove it as opposed to being able to enjoy winding the car out and going through the gears.
In my AWD V6 Dodge Charger daily driver I can floor it at just about any time and not have troubles. Less power. More weight. Lots of traction.

Moving to my C7 I had to re-condition my responses, as in a C7 that same action is likely to cause problems. More power. Less weight. Only two driven wheels.

Having adjusted I find no particular problems with C7 and to my surprise also find that on the highway it is as comfortable a cruiser as the Charger, something I had not expected. C7 likes to go fast and seems very stable and predictable.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:59 PM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I should start a thread: "why I don't care what schappy thinks about daily driving a vette." Really, who cares?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:03 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

One other comment; if you want one (new C7) and can afford one, I wouldn't hold yourself back from buying one just because of their ungodly power. In the wrong hands, the power and "how quick things can go bad," is sobering...…..but if you want one, you'll likely never regret it. Just my additional thought to you there. Good luck on your next test-drive. Keep it between the ditches!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:24 PM
CptCvMan
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 108 Posts

If the power is a concern, you could always get a throttle control device and limit it to something like 100% of peddle push is actually 30% throttle.
Can slow that baby right down for you.

On the other hand, you can learn to drive the car within the limits and have just as much fun, if not more, than the Miata.
Skid Row Joe (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

^^^^ Great advise !!

Get notified of new replies

To Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:41 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Loved driving my Z51 as daily driver.

With 608 miles on the clock, loving my '19 Grand Sport even more
Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

the problem is you are approaching the corvette as if it fulfills some need for speed, inner desire to go fast on street roads

the reality is, majority of street roads are inadequate for such a kind of car. It isn't fair to blame the car for being faster than traditional roads are designed for.

often you will find many corvette owners never drive their cars fast on street roads, but rather put their blinker on and go slow in the fast lane.
In some ways, corvette is a symbol, a logo, the car itself the way it looks is what counts. Not whatever is under the hood.

In another way, all that matters is what is under the hood. For those individuals it may be more appealing to drive something that looks tolerably slow but packs the punch of two corvettes.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:14 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by CptCvMan
If the power is a concern, you could always get a throttle control device and limit it to something like 100% of peddle push is actually 30% throttle.
Can slow that baby right down for you.
Drive always in weather mode and you'd probably get the same effect.

Or you could just buy a Corolla.

Quick Reply: Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?