C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

There is an old adage "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". With posted speed limits and LE presence, you can go 0-jail pretty quickly in a C7 or any other Hi performance car. There is something to be said for less power and a sporty handling chassis. You can apply plenty of throttle and zip around in traffic and stay within 10 MPH over the posted speed limit, putting huge a smile on your face while not drawing a lot of attention.

I get where the OP is coming from with his post. While the C7 is a very cool car to own and drive, I have more actual driving fun w/ my tuned Mini Cooper S when I'm out and about in traffic.

I mentioned this to a mechanic friend that has a Mustang GT, after a bit of thought, he said, "ya know, never thought of it in those terms, but you're right". With high performance you have to drive w/ restraint, since speed comes so quickly, with less power, you can stay on the throttle longer and if the car has "goKart" handling, it can be a real "hoot" to drive.

Of course there are those that don't mind instant accelerating to 80MPH in a 40MPH Zone.and look to see who's watching. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
Have never driven one and never will. I would consider buying my wife one (if she had a license) but seriously I would never consider one for myself. I've read that they make great track cars, but they are like half a step above a Volkswagen Beetle on the manly scale when it comes to cars. IMHO.

Way cooler than a Beetle.. And no rose vase

​​​​​​
Old 12-14-2018, 09:39 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by sconn

way cooler than a beetle.. And no rose vase :d

​​​​​​
zoom zoom!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

My daughter just bought a miata RF, really fun car to drive. If it was available to me on a regular basis I certainly would spend some time behind the wheel of that little go kart. That being said I would NEVER sell my Z06 for one. I friggen love stepping on the go fast pedal,. Both really great cars but totally different. Sounds to me like you are way better off sticking with the Miata.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 12-14-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:41 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't really get that it's "fun" to drive a slow car fast. ???

Originally Posted by Sconn
Way cooler than a Beetle.. And no rose vase
​​​​​​
OK, point taken. But I still wouldn't own one.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:55 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

I can see where the OP is coming from in some regards. I used to have an S2000 and it was a blast to take out blasting around some curvy roads. Granted it's about twice as powerful as a Miata but still, same concept. Could wind it out and not go to jail quickly. I've driven on of my old GF's miatas and being my size, you couldn't give me that car. Folks love them tho.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:05 AM
DeStreGa5
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

It's definitely not a waste for me. I've never driven a Miata, but I've driven sports cars that were weaker than a C7. Now I appreciate the power of a C7 and it's traction. Of course, you'll never truly be able to use the full potential of the car, but it's still fun to drive. If you don't care for its looks then stay with the Miata and swap the engine. I have to say that a manual definitely makes it more enjoyable to drive.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,935 Likes on 2,422 Posts

I drove a new one on a test track at Road America. They always have their entire lineup there to take for a test drive. It was fun but I’ll take my C7 Grand Sport any day.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Is the C7 overkill for the street? YES... but so are many other cars these days. My wife's Infiniti Q60 has about 2X the power you "need" in a daily driver. Heck Honda's current mini van runs 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Looking back thru history that time was once considered good for a V8 Mustang.

This is one of the reasons I recommend people track their C7 so they can see what the car can really do in the proper environment. If its too much power for you then either don't get one (duh!) or learn to stay off the gas / short shift. Clearly you can't stomp on the gas on a C7 constantly it has massive power / torque so it requires an equal level responsibility to limit yourself and control the vehicle.

I get the appeal of a Miata - its light, its tossable and a fantastic track toy, especially on an autocross course. They are great fun on twisty roads. However you never feel the rush of speed. I've driven an FRS / BRZ / GT86 on track (another car with added lightness) and it was a great... until I reached a straight, then I became disappointed with the dullness of watching the revs climb but nothing actually happening.

Like many things its all in what you are accustom to. I thought my '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T was fast until I get my '03 Nissan 350Z which I thought was fast until I got my '14 Corvette Z51. The different between the Miata and C7 is a huge jump in power, so maybe it is best to get an in-between vehicle and work your way up to the C7.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,377 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by schappy
I currently have a '16 Miata and last weekend I took a test drive in a Corvette Grand Sport convertible. I did this for two reasons. First, I have never driven a Corvette (even though I have owned two Z/28's in the distant past, one of which could do low 12's in the quarter) and I felt I owed it to myself to consider one. Second, I have been very seriously considering doing the LS swap in my Miata from Flyin Miata.

Well, after driving the Corvette, I think I just cured my desire to do an LS swap, as I felt the Grand Sport had a totally ridiculous amount of power for the street. There was no way you can ever drive that car flat out often enough, on the street, to get comfortable with how it reacts at the limit. It also wanted to light up the tires from a rolling start in first gear when I put the pedal down.

What was really interesting was how fast things happen when gunning it. Time and distance seem to contract and I really questioned whether I could react fast enough if I a car next to me decided to do something unexpected.

I can only assume that a Miata with similar power would be even more ridiculous.

After the test drive, I got back into my Miata and, while certainly slower, the difference didn't feel as stark. I attribute this to the fact that I could give myself a feeling of "driving" the car, given the lower power level, a lot more than just feathering around in the Corvette. Yes, at WOT, the Corvette was a totally different experience, but one that could only be enjoyed in small bites.

Put simply, I feel like I would have more fun driving my Miata flat out all the time than I would driving the Corvette around most of the time at 20%. I guess for me I would rather have a huge cheeseburger as opposed to just a fork of filet mignon.

I plan to take another drive in a C7 convertible, just to see if I feel the same after another test drive.

Am I just getting old? Have you ever had these thoughts with your car?

Again, this is purely driving on the street. Obviously track driving is a totally different environment and one where the Corvette is at home.

I would really like to get some feedback from the owners here to see if they ever feel this way. Perhaps it is just my preferred driving style that is not necessarily conducive to driving a Corvette?
Iv'e gone round and round on this myself. I now own a nicely set up C5Z as a maximum of fun/price. I can afford a 100k car, but I won't have 5x the fun as my 20k car.

IMO what makes any car 'fun to drive on the street' is predictability, the strong sense of balance and driver control. The ability to dial in precise amounts of power, steering and braking, and make the car dance. This is the appeal of Miata, BRZ etc. Small, light, balanced, nice direct controls, and not very sticky tires. The BRZ came stock with all-seasons iirc, grandma could drift that thing. Very confidence inspiring, you can feel what is going on, and ride right up to the limit without losing it.

Some folks get their jollies purely from power. Those guys will daily drive 1,000hp and want more. Good for them, that's fine. the above statement will make no sense to them.

The higher the performance trim on the C7 (Z51, GS, Z06 etc) the higher the limits, and usually it'll be more difficult to push the limits on the street. Going back a generation, the stock C6Z was famous for having insanely high limits that would bite your face off without warning: no feedback, so sense of impending doom, it's all good till it's all very wrong. No 'fun' at all. Just going around a on-ramp at speed, which can be an enormous joy in a Miata, is scary as hell in a car with no sense of progressive break-away.

The fun of a well-set up vette over a Miata is power (of course). The driver of a Miata can precisely control only steering and brakes to the point of breakaway. There's not enough power to ever breakaway. The Vette adds this dimension, and yes it is a Ton of Fun. You mentioned the 'time and space dilation' that comes with power. It's awesome, and yes you will get 'used' to it. You will every so joyfully get just some slip coming off the line. You'll carefully drift it around the freeway entrance you take every day. It adds another dimension of fun to street driving and opens up possibilities of maneuvers that don't exist in a Miata. Want to be right there, right now? such as getting ahead of the V6 accord on the onramp? You can wish for it in a Miata. The Vette will make it happen. Your thought is it's command.

I'd suggest a base C7 and plan on spending some time/effort on suspension setup (alignment, suspension) and careful tire choice. I find it a bit 'numb' in stock form. better than most but with some feedback/responsiveness lest on the table. Well set up, it's a daily driving animal. The GS adds looks and capability but the limits go up and will be harder to approach on the street. Those big fat tires are less trustworthy in the rain as well, much easier to hydroplane than the relatively narrow base C7 tires.

other thoughts:
- I avoided Vettes for years because whenever I test drove one it felt stupid, like a fast truck, not responsive at all. Took me a while to realize the stock suspension/tires on C5/C6 is awful but easy to correct.
-C5/6/7 share the same layout, etc. They feel more similar than different. The biggest difference is a huge refinement+driveability jump from C6 to C7. Stock C7 feels fairly sporty. By-the-numbers performance slowly increases generation to generation.
-I chose a cherry low-mile C5z as it is the most 'raw' and mechanically immediate feeling. I also dig the butch body style. I was tempted by a base C7 but it was still 2x the price.
-aftermarket and owner forms are extremely strong; similar to Miata in this way. Tons of parts fairly cheap. People will complain about 'Corvette tax' but they're talking relative to an F150 or something; they've certinaly never had a German car.
-Upgrade paths are well established and the sky's the limit. more power? suspension? new stereo? etc? it's all been done and there are proven solutions.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

Good for you. I don't know why anyone would spend the kind of money on a Corvette and then park it in the garage 95% of the time. But were all free to do as we please.
The following users liked this post:
Mcrider (12-18-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,172 Likes on 588 Posts

Definitely stick with the Miata. It drives how you like to drive. Seems to have all the power you want/need. You saved yourself a bunch of cash as an added bonus. Seems like a win win.

I personally don't understand the too much power issue. I also don't understand why some seem to think you need special driving training to drive a car with power like the C7. It has this weird thing called a gas pedal that you can modulate power with. Same contraption all of my vehicles have had for decades. For some reason they all achieve the same thing. Push lightly for a little, push harder for more. Some spend way too much time worrying about it.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:24 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts

Have never driven one and never will. I would consider buying my wife one (if she had a license) but seriously I would never consider one for myself. I've read that they make great track cars, but they are like half a step above a Volkswagen Beetle on the manly scale when it comes to cars. IMHO.
Whats a wife?
The following 2 users liked this post by V Vette:
iw172 (12-15-2018), speed4tu (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:28 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

I hate to mock other peoples preferences, but if you prefer a miata over a corvette, then obviously a corvette is too much car for you.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

I currently have a '16 Miata and last weekend I took a test drive in a Corvette Grand Sport convertible. I did this for two reasons. First, I have never driven a Corvette (even though I have owned two Z/28's in the distant past, one of which could do low 12's in the quarter) and I felt I owed it to myself to consider one. Second, I have been very seriously considering doing the LS swap in my Miata from Flyin Miata.

Well, after driving the Corvette, I think I just cured my desire to do an LS swap, as I felt the Grand Sport had a totally ridiculous amount of power for the street. There was no way you can ever drive that car flat out often enough, on the street, to get comfortable with how it reacts at the limit. It also wanted to light up the tires from a rolling start in first gear when I put the pedal down.

What was really interesting was how fast things happen when gunning it. Time and distance seem to contract and I really questioned whether I could react fast enough if I a car next to me decided to do something unexpected.

I can only assume that a Miata with similar power would be even more ridiculous.

After the test drive, I got back into my Miata and, while certainly slower, the difference didn't feel as stark. I attribute this to the fact that I could give myself a feeling of "driving" the car, given the lower power level, a lot more than just feathering around in the Corvette. Yes, at WOT, the Corvette was a totally different experience, but one that could only be enjoyed in small bites.

Put simply, I feel like I would have more fun driving my Miata flat out all the time than I would driving the Corvette around most of the time at 20%. I guess for me I would rather have a huge cheeseburger as opposed to just a fork of filet mignon.

I plan to take another drive in a C7 convertible, just to see if I feel the same after another test drive.

Am I just getting old? Have you ever had these thoughts with your car?

Again, this is purely driving on the street. Obviously track driving is a totally different environment and one where the Corvette is at home.

I would really like to get some feedback from the owners here to see if they ever feel this way. Perhaps it is just my preferred driving style that is not necessarily conducive to driving a Corvette?
In my opinion based on your thoughts about the GS you test drove you might be better off sticking with your Miata. Though you would get used to driving a Vette it doesn't sound as if it would really be your cup of tea. If it was you would have known it by the end of your test drive. You wouldn't have felt the need to ask other people's thoughts about the topic, you would have just wanted to buy the car right then & there.

Back in 2001 when I still had my '97 Vette my wife had a 1st gen Miata (of course the current Miatas are way better than the 1st gen cars were). While I didn't drive her Miata very often the times I did I remember thinking it was like a little go-cart & it was fun wringing it out on the road. I have also owned two 2nd gen RX-7s & a 2nd gen RX-7 Turbo II. So I get the appeal of fairly light weight lower powered nimble sports cars.

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The C7s are way, way overpowered for the streets and highways. That becomes crystal clear when driving one using any of it's raw power supply. The Grand Sport, Z51 and ZO6 versions are ridiculously powered. The Grand Sport is bought mostly on looks and bragging rights - of course most all of the Grand Sport chest-beaters claim their C7 is faster than yours, only they've probably never raced anyone, much less raced anyone on their keyboards. LOL! It just gets worse with the ZO6 version of the C7. Ungodly power, and the associated bragging rights it buys on the Internet. LOL!
Lots of cars have more power than can be utilized on the streets/highways, it doesn't just apply to Vettes.

Why do you say a Stingray w/Z51 suspension (or w/performance exhaust) or a GS are ridiculously powered when they only have 5 more hp & 5 more lb.- ft. of torque than a base Stingray? I don't think that small increase bumps them into the ridiculous category. I don't even consider a Z06 in the ridiculous category based on the horsepower levels of many cars nowadays. Though I've always been a horsepower junkie with a lead foot so maybe that clouds my opinion a bit.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 12-14-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:53 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,160 Posts

I really don't see the point of threads like this. Not everybody is going to like the Corvette but who cares? Could you imagine if all the people who didn't buy a Corvette started threads explaining why they didn't buy one what this forum would look like.
Maybe I should go over on the Miata forums and start a thread explaining I didn't buy one because I'm a guy and it's a ckick car.
FLEXjs (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
I really don't see the point of threads like this. Not everybody is going to like the Corvette but who cares? Could you imagine if all the people who didn't buy a Corvette started threads explaining why they didn't buy one what this forum would look like.

Maybe I should go over on the Miata forums and start a thread explaining I didn't buy one because I'm a guy and it's a chick car.
I'm sure you would get an earful if you did.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?

Old 12-14-2018, 12:00 PM
TimAF
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default C7

I didn't buy a C7 to become more of a man. I appreciate the technology, love the sound and pull of a V8, and love the looks. I didn't buy a ND Miata because I'm less of a man. I bought it because it handles like a slot car, is a blast to drive, and I love the looks. I buy what I like. Not too worried about what other people think. Anyone who puts down a Miata has probably never driven one.
The following 2 users liked this post by TimAF:
Corgidog1 (12-14-2018), Oneslackr (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAF
I didn't buy a C7 to become more of a man.
Neither did I.

Not too worried about what other people think.
It's not a matter of "worrying" what others think. It's a matter of what I like and what I feel comfortable with. I would no more drive a Miata every day than I would wear sweatpants and sneakers to the office every day.

Anyone who puts down a Miata has probably never driven one.
Did I put it down? No. I just said I wouldn't own one. OP came here to say the Vette is a "waste" for daily street driving. Why come to a Vette forum and **** all over Vettes? Then he and the Miata owners get their panties in a bunch because some of us pushed back?

WTF man?

I don't need to drive one to know I don't want one. If you threw me the keys to yours I might take it or boot around town and it might even be fun for a minute or two but I'm not buying one.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:35 PM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I currently have a '16 Miata...
That's all I need. Your thoughts on appropriate amounts of power are invalid.
Big Lebowski (12-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?