C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?

Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Most Miatas I see in Austin are driven by young dudes but they are modded for Auto crossing, or slammed or whatever. My wife still makes fun of them for driving a chick car. LOL

Have several friends that own Miatas as junkers to race since they are cheap on brakes and tires. Both guys drive real sports cars daily though.

Just my observations

Last edited by SnowyATX; 12-16-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:07 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Also I think you can get the GM 2.0T LTG as a crate engine have you considered that instead of an LS swap? It's a great reliable engine and would be a huge power upgrade in a miata without you losing much of the practicality. At 272 hp and 295 ft-lbs I think you would really like that upgrade that would almost double the miata engines power and I doubt you would lose any gas milage.

Here is the link :
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...nt-wheel-drive

That is one of my favorite engines GM produces.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by schappy
I currently have a '16 Miata and last weekend I took a test drive in a Corvette Grand Sport convertible. I did this for two reasons. First, I have never driven a Corvette (even though I have owned two Z/28's in the distant past, one of which could do low 12's in the quarter) and I felt I owed it to myself to consider one. Second, I have been very seriously considering doing the LS swap in my Miata from Flyin Miata.

Well, after driving the Corvette, I think I just cured my desire to do an LS swap, as I felt the Grand Sport had a totally ridiculous amount of power for the street. There was no way you can ever drive that car flat out often enough, on the street, to get comfortable with how it reacts at the limit. It also wanted to light up the tires from a rolling start in first gear when I put the pedal down.

What was really interesting was how fast things happen when gunning it. Time and distance seem to contract and I really questioned whether I could react fast enough if I a car next to me decided to do something unexpected.

I can only assume that a Miata with similar power would be even more ridiculous.

After the test drive, I got back into my Miata and, while certainly slower, the difference didn't feel as stark. I attribute this to the fact that I could give myself a feeling of "driving" the car, given the lower power level, a lot more than just feathering around in the Corvette. Yes, at WOT, the Corvette was a totally different experience, but one that could only be enjoyed in small bites.

Put simply, I feel like I would have more fun driving my Miata flat out all the time than I would driving the Corvette around most of the time at 20%. I guess for me I would rather have a huge cheeseburger as opposed to just a fork of filet mignon.

I plan to take another drive in a C7 convertible, just to see if I feel the same after another test drive.

Am I just getting old? Have you ever had these thoughts with your car?

Again, this is purely driving on the street. Obviously track driving is a totally different environment and one where the Corvette is at home.

I would really like to get some feedback from the owners here to see if they ever feel this way. Perhaps it is just my preferred driving style that is not necessarily conducive to driving a Corvette?
You get used to the car and the power with time. I love my car as a daily driver unless it's very cold (sub 32ºF) or the roads are snowy/icy. Maybe there's 3 months every winter I don't drive it much, other than that I drive it just about everywhere. Maybe 7000-8000 miles per year, which is actually a fair amount for a Corvette. Many owners seem to buy them and longingly gaze at them sitting in the garage or driveway, which will always kind of baffle me, I like DRIVING the car.

Last edited by patentcad; 12-16-2018 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Funny, I never hear that a Mustang GT is too much of a car for daily driving. Yet it has similar power.
Malum1 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 12:29 PM
ericswild
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride motorcycles as well. My favorite was a Ducati 800 Supersport. Great torque, decent horsepower, great handling, but all worked together to stay in my range of skill in driving. I could beat that bike to death and it felt perfectly matched for me. I completely see your point regarding the power. I now bought a 2003 anniversary edition 6 speed. Outside of ram air, a complete exhaust change-over and a tune, I feel the same way about the power this Vette has. I threw out the idea of a twin turbo )ok well at least for now or until I feel comfortable with a huge upgrade in power) I think you are wise to keep that into consideration. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:41 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
You wouldn't consider a Miata? You must have masculinity issues just like Flex!
I mean, a Miata is probably a great way to meet guys, second only to Grindr.

JDSC8VETTE (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:42 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I drive my 14 every single day. It’s a great daily driver. I suggest you keep your Miata. They are a lot of fun to drive.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:23 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

How ridiculous to drive a car once or twice and think you know what the car is about. It takes weeks / months coming from a car with low hp to coordinate the power and agility of a C7. I push the snot out of my C7 daily driver, and don't break the law (more than a moment or two) doing it. Best 20K miles a year ever!!!

Last edited by harmonyp; 12-17-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:02 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by traind
this is representative of the typical Corvette owner. They only care about how they look as they drive around town and never exercise all the great engineering built into the car they bought.

it's perfectly fine buying something for how it looks, people do that all the time with all sorts of purchases. But don't tell everyone how great a performance car you have if all you do is press the throttle down on the highway a couple of times a month, LOL.

for the OP, there are some people on this forum who are excellent drivers and have logged hundreds of hours at the limit on the track. Some of them have experience in both cars and there are posts where they discuss the pros and cons based upon many track days. I would search for those posts to get some additional insight.

The "manly" forum members here won't acknowledge that the Miata is the most raced street car in the world. The guys here with significant track experience will admit that and have a healthy respect for both vehicles. There aren't many of these guys here on the Forum but they're around.

Is it being 'manly' not wanting to wear a dress and makeup? Sorry, but miatas are kinda feminine to a lot of us. If you like 'em great, knock yourself out, but don't come to a corvette forum and bash on our cars then cry into your purse when you get backlash for it.

And it goes beyond looks - not only does the C7 look way, way, way better and more aggressive than the miata, it also outperforms it in pretty much every performance aspect you can come up with, including regular street driving. If I ever need to get around you in my C7, I can do it - as others have pointed out with all the c-blockers on the road that play car wall with you, it's nice to have the juice to get around dipshits like that.

So is the C7 'too much' for regular roads and a 'waste for daily street driving'? No, absolutely not, so your post is simply incorrect.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:28 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by wadenelson
People insecure about their masculinity invariably look for a scapegoat, someone they can feel "bigger than." Miata owners, Prius owners, etc. In the 1970s it used to be guys who owned/drove VW bugs.

A buddy of mine (Rich Fletcher) raced Dodge Neons, often pitted against Miatas. You think he was in love with Neons?

Chrysler gave him more money for winning races than other mfr's would. Helped pay for his racing habit. Didn't hurt HIS feelings when everyone told him what they thought about Neons as he continued to collect his checks.
Bullshit. Some things are simply more feminine than others. Liking things that look more aggressive or masculine doesn't mean someone is insecure about their masculinity. I don't wear a dress and makeup because I'm insecure about my masculinity, I'm just not into being feminine. That's also why I don't drive a Fit or a bug or a miata. That's not to say there is anything wrong with someone liking those things, whatever floats your boat man, but claiming those of us who embrace our masculinity are only doing it because we're insecure is simply horseshit.

I bought a C7 because i like how it looks and performs, period.
Parcival (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

It's not the ones who simply say "Not my cup of tea." Nothing at all wrong with that.

It's the ones who go on about being gay, not wanting other guy's di*#s next their orifices, etc. that is just so immature and uncalled for. It's a car for Pete's Sake.
​​​​​​
It's like I tell my 6'3", 285lb goateed husband... Nobody is going to think you're gay if you hold my purse. I have a feeling nobody will truly think a guy is gay for driving a Miata. In fact, truly gay guys probably avoid them like the plague. My gay cousin has excellent taste in vehicles.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:35 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
Funny, I never hear that a Mustang GT is too much of a car for daily driving. Yet it has similar power.
True enough, but then again with an extra 400lbs+ of curb weight to haul around, it's not quite the performance car a C7 or a 911 represents.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
True enough, but then again with an extra 400lbs+ of curb weight to haul around, it's not quite the performance car a C7 or a 911 represents.
Agreed but who said you have to always drive like you are racing on Laguna Seca when you are on the street. You can set the car to eco mode and drive it like you are driving miss daisy on a Sunday.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:20 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Any car sold in America will kill you if you drive it with sufficient stupidity.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by schappy
I pretty much expected at least one person to take this post as being negative. Thanks for being open minded and welcoming.
Meh, nothing personal and it has nothing to do with age...

It just sounds to me like you just stuck "Corvette” and “C7 Grand sport” in randomly to post here. The Miata is a sports car you'd compare more to 986 Boxster, E46 Ci or Z3, a Fiat, a MR2, or Lotus Elise.. something with smaller wheel base and RWD handling. A track dedicated analog would be something like a Caterham. People always wonder what another 100hp would be like in those cars.

C7 is a completely different beast (had GS and Z). One way to put it is I have had fun driving my 986 and E46Ci(c) around but I'm never afraid they will kill me if I don't pay attention to them- yes some of us are looking for that edge...

Last edited by Parcival; 12-18-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

I drove a Miata ('16 Brembo Club) for 18 months. It was fun, but no comfort! It was so small that I always felt cramped.

Now I have an '18 GS and I love everything about it! There is plenty of room for me and a passenger and there is no comparison between the power of the two cars. The thrill of the V8 power can't be touched by the Mazda and the challenge of controlling it is exhilarating. I'll never look back!

Last edited by Tin-can; 12-17-2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Caps and content
Old 12-17-2018, 11:36 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

I just scored a set of chrome wheels with new Nitto tires for 250 bucks for my Miata today. So that should get the chrome wheel guys on board 😈

Get notified of new replies

To Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?

Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 AM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Do Miatas come standard with leather gloves that have holes for knuckles? Asking for a friend.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:23 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Do Miatas come standard with leather gloves that have holes for knuckles? Asking for a friend.
no. you have mistaken Miata's for Harley's.

Last edited by kitesurfer; 12-18-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Ive been driving new Corvettes for 20 years..when the nd mx5 released there were all these articles how it harkened back to the NA mx5 miata..

a nearby firechief was selling his 1994 black mx5 in excellent condition so in a whim i bought the little car in addition to my corvette.

for the first wo three months I laughed my *** off whipping that little thing....and then one day all the fun was gone..it was october and the roof had to stay up and when i drove the little car all the fun was gone.

im sorry but that thing was a slug..even with the mx5 butterfly frame stiffeners ...i jad installed...the flexible little car was garbage... i was on a kick to test drive the ND mx5 back to back to see if the NA and the ND were actually similiar in driving experiencces as the press had lathered praise on both...i wasnt that impressed with either ..

it was slow...it didnt really handle that great..it was just so small the lanes of the road seemed huge so it was easy to drive and keep on the road...

i sold it after four months of ownership to the first person who came to see it for double what I paid for it...

i was glad to have tried this supposedly great little sports car...but for those that say its all the sports car you ll ever need for the street...

i say you guys are on crack....

ill take my 3200 lb 450 hp c6 corvette z51 manual as my daily driver...ive put on 128k miles so far and its been a joy to own...

the mx5 was a novelty for a short term at best ..

certainly wouldnt buy another one,

i also tried the jaguar f tyoe supercharged v8 and a porsche boxster s too...

i wasnt impressed with either as well..

my wife was suggesting I try something else other than a corvette for variety...

next up a c7 z06 m7 or a c8 z51 dct....and Im heavily leaning to the rear mid engine c8 z51 with dct for a new driving experience...i liked the shirt hood of the porsche and think the c8 will deliver exotic car driving experiences for a couple of laughs.

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-18-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do I think a Corvette is a waste for daily street driving?