C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you add Stabil a second time and buy more life?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:27 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
I think this is a good question.

For example in a Vette...
Jan 01, 2001 filled tank w/ fuel added Stabil.
Drove 120 miles during the year...did not refill tanks.
Jan 01, 2002 half tank of fuel remaining w/ one year
old Stabil (which post above indicates still has "life")
in the fuel.

The question seems to be at year 2002 (if Stabil's life expired) can another dose of Stabil be added?

Maybe best asked of Stabil themselves?

FWIW I like storing with full tanks to limit moisture/ rust yet kind of agree with some posts above
that this car needs to be driven more. Yes, draining a Vette's full fuel tank into containers is a
burden, I don't envy that task.
I agree, asking Stabil themselves seems to be the best way to get your answer. Go right to the source instead getting speculative replies here. Or not.

Last edited by OntarioOrangeC3; 12-20-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:44 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
Are you bored today Dave or did you start celebrating the holidays early?
I dunno, why do you sound so short online?

Make that SIX useless, non-Stabil related posts about me, so I'll just cheerfully put you on ignore. See ya.

Last edited by davepl; 12-20-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vader86
I dont see how adding more will sufficiently extend life of the gasoline.
I really don't think it will, but since I'm ignorant as to how Stabil actually works, I figured I'd ask. I can speculate as well as the next fellow, but was hoping someone might know how it works without me needing to research it.

Imagine, for example, fresh gasoline contains a certain about of xyzene. That xyzene deteriorates over time, and by year one, it's mostly gone. So imagine Stabil contains extra xyzene, and that's why you add it up front to make it last longer. If that were the case, you COULD add more xyzene at the one year mark and it'd be OK. But I made up xyzene, because I don't really know what the aging process is for gasoline or how Stabil affects it.

Hence, my question!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:51 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

OK, I looked it up for us. Stabil works by stabilizing otherwise unstable aromatic hydrocarbons, the ones that would go bad fairly quickly. Hence the name, "Stabil". It -slows- the degeneration process, extending the shelf life from 90 days (or whatever) to 1 year. By the one year mark enough have destabilized that it's too late, you can't add more. So that's the answer.

As I understand petroleum engineering (which is to say, very little indeed) I bet synthetic gasoline would last a long time because the hydrocarbons would be stabil! But it'd be pricey :-)

Last edited by davepl; 12-20-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:02 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I'll just cheerfully put you on ignore. See ya.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:31 PM
rogergcam
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

I just have to question if Stabil works at all. Is there ANY good rersearch on it? I have never used it, for any application as I am leary of putting stuff into my fuel, any fuel, that is basically unknown, to me.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

My father is putting Stabil to the test, he put some in the tank of his 1983 Alfa Romeo Spyder in the fall of 2016 and hasn't driven or started the car since. If I can ever convince him to put it back on the road we'll see if it fires up and runs properly!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:48 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patman
My father is putting Stabil to the test, he put some in the tank of his 1983 Alfa Romeo Spyder in the fall of 2016 and hasn't driven or started the car since. If I can ever convince him to put it back on the road we'll see if it fires up and runs properly!
Just so we're all on the same page, it MIGHT help, but that's well outside the range of what it claims to be able to do (one year). I'd imagine the aromatic hydrocarbons are all destabilized a couple of years out.

That said, I had a car on the farm I'd go out and start every year for about 10 years before I left the country, using whatever gas I'd put it when I 'abandoned' it... a 413 w/ Carter AFB in my 1963 Imperial. Fired right up every year for 10 years (give or take). A tree grew up through the car in the meantime (basket case) but at that time I figured it was a good way to preserve the motor...
The following users liked this post:
Patman (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:12 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
OK, I looked it up for us. Stabil works by stabilizing otherwise unstable aromatic hydrocarbons, the ones that would go bad fairly quickly. Hence the name, "Stabil". It -slows- the degeneration process, extending the shelf life from 90 days (or whatever) to 1 year. By the one year mark enough have destabilized that it's too late, you can't add more. So that's the answer.
Does that mean the gasoline/Stabil will not burn satisfactorily after one year? I have always added an amount of Stabil proportionate to the amount of gasoline added to refill the gas tank assuming the mixture would last more than a year. I have not added Stabil to the tank without adding fuel so that the Stabil is mixed sufficiently with the incoming added fuel. The C7 makes this easy by displaying the amount of fuel used since the last reset of the gallons indicator.

I noticed the Stabil I bought a few days ago now says it has a shelf life of 2 years after opening. This may be to sell more product because it has been common practice to use Stabil that is several years old which is still in the original container.

Last edited by vettetwo; 12-20-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:41 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by rogergcam
I just have to question if Stabil works at all. Is there ANY good rersearch on it? I have never used it, for any application as I am leary of putting stuff into my fuel, any fuel, that is basically unknown, to me.
It works well. It's been around for a very long time an used by many. Take a look at pics in this link at bottom. This is basic chemistry. If Stabil did not work they would have gone out of business long ago.

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...ve-thats-best/
Old 12-20-2018, 03:05 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

If Stabil did not work they would have gone out of business long ago.

What about Slick 50 and Duralube? Those products never did as they advertised, but both of those companies were in business for a long time. (I'm not saying Stabil doesn't work, just making a point that longevity of a company doesn't guarantee that their product works)
Old 12-20-2018, 03:12 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patman
What about Slick 50 and Duralube? Those products never did as they advertised, but both of those companies were in business for a long time. (I'm not saying Stabil doesn't work, just making a point that longevity of a company doesn't guarantee that their product works)
Not to mention 104+, which you'd think would have to do with octane. But a "point" is after the decimal point in their marketing, so two points of octane means from 87 to 87.2, which is pointless. All it does is clean combustion chambers (supposedly) to increase "octane effect" by reducing hot spots and compression ratio. But it doesn't do jack for the fuel octane, and you're not loaded up with carbon, does pretty much zero.

That doesn't apply to race gas concentrates, which are usually the real deal. I'm talking about the "Octane Booster" stuff.

I find old fuel does lose octane for whatever reason. So I decided the answer to this query was actually to burn the older fuel in the Tahoe instead of the Z, because the compression ratio is lower and the octane demand is thus lower as well.

Stabil seems to do what it claims, but it's hard to know for certain. No specific reason to doubt them that I know of, though.

Last edited by davepl; 12-20-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

One thing folks seem to miss and that is it puts the cherry on top of the whipped cream if you add in some octane booster.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Dave - you might want to consider e-mailing Stabil directly. If anyone has a good POV on this, its them.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Absolutely! Stabil has never let me down, regardless of the time elements. Caveat - drain that gas that has endured multiple years of Stabil treatments. Don't operate the engine without new gas.

​​​​​​​.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-21-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Can you add Stabil a second time and buy more life?