Sponsored by:

Dealer issue “Non refundable” deposit

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:37 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
That's a nice story, Allen, but in this case there is no "back of the page" to read. Did you ever successfully keep a deposit that was made with just a verbal agreement over the phone? That's the issue here.

Not necessarily a story but rather a statement of facts. In post #23 I stated I did not see how the dealer could keep the deposit without a signed buyers order. I did not try to keep deposits without a buyers order as I did not take them. By design they would need to be subject to inspection and verification of the vehicle in question. By policy, we had no desire to hold and tie up vehicles that were not considered sold.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:42 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
No problem to anyone who doesn't mind lying and reneging on an agreement.
As I've heard the story, no agreement to the non-refundability of the deposit was ever disclosed thus you are not reneging on an agreement you never made. And no, I don't have any problem lying to somebody who's trying to rip me off. I will not start with immoral behavior but I will use it if I'm being unfairly treated. Pretty much the same principle of if you hit me expect to be hit back.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:42 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I am not a retired LEO, which in any case would have little to do with the question. I am though a retired new car dealer who operated multiple stores in multiple states for forty years and paid a lot of money to actual attorneys for the answer to this question. You are in fact flat dead wrong! I have on more than one occasion kept deposits on vehicles and I have been to court on this question... successfully.

In many, if not most states, you will find exactly how the dealer can keep the deposit by reading the binding contract you sign called a Buyers Order.
Yeah but the story, as told, contained no indication that anything was signed. That's where you're wrong here and that's where your advise is no applicable.

[quote[Most people, including many working in the industry, fail to ever turn the form over and read the back page. Doing so will give you a great idea what you are actually agreeing to and your rights as well as the dealer's rights. Dealer organizations in individual states and national dealer groups spend millions protecting the rights of dealers.[/quote]

Yeah but again here this was only verbal and on the phone. Unless the dealer actually read that legalese over the phone he hasn't got a valid, legal reason to keep the money.

There are many dealers who absolutely do not believe in keeping deposits. Perhaps you worked for one and took that as the basis for your belief. Under normal circumstances, I also did not believe in keeping them. But, when the customer showed up after days of my people holding the car telling them they had found the car cheaper, they always asked if they had saved enough money to sacrifice the deposit.

There are a number of consumer transactions that allow the keeping of down payments when the sale is cancelled. Real Estate would be one. Businesses often incur expenses to make the sale to the consumer and in most all states will have a contractural right to recover when the sale is cancelled with no fault by the seller.
This isn't one of them. You have not contract, even verbal, to be held to for things that were not properly stipulated. As described here, they were not disclosed and thus not enforceable.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:48 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Not necessarily a story but rather a statement of facts.
Yeah, facts that do not pertain to the instant case and thus irrelevant. Look everybody here knows if you sign a contract with your actual signature and there's legalese there then you can, will and should be held to that contract. This is NOT the case here so I wonder why you're posting about some totally different situation...

That said, signatures are stupid! Mine's often just a squiggly line that in no way represents my actual name. Anybody could do it and that's the point - it doesn't prove that I did it so how and why should it be legal or binding? I've actually signed "I will not pay this bill" on credit card receipts and businesses take it. Some people sign with an X. Signatures don't mean **** anymore but yet will still impart on them legal weight that is really not deserved.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:12 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

That's a nice story, Allen, but in this case there is no "back of the page" to read. Did you ever successfully keep a deposit that was made with just a verbal agreement over the phone? That's the issue here.
I did cpl months ago back in Oct. Used vette at new Nissan car dealer out of state. Agreed on out the door price verbally on phone, asked for and received an email so had something before making the trip, made $500. deposit on credit card Thurs., went to look Sat., decided to pass because HUD didn't work and felt car was misrepresented - I did ask if everything worked and they said yes.

The $500. charge did not hit my account early the following week, and I though OK good they didn't run it... but it did show up by end of that week. Dealer did not dispute. Charge was reversed week later.

OP here has nothing to worry about.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:20 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by defaria
Piece of cake - it's usually lost or stolen. Both qualify. Simply say it was lost.
But it wasn’t lost or stolen. I was taught not to lie. Seems to me that too many people don’t care anymore. The Golden Rule applies here but I guess I’m just old fashioned.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:39 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Yeah, facts that do not pertain to the instant case and thus irrelevant. Look everybody here knows if you sign a contract with your actual signature and there's legalese there then you can, will and should be held to that contract. This is NOT the case here so I wonder why you're posting about some totally different situation...

That said, signatures are stupid! Mine's often just a squiggly line that in no way represents my actual name. Anybody could do it and that's the point - it doesn't prove that I did it so how and why should it be legal or binding? I've actually signed "I will not pay this bill" on credit card receipts and businesses take it. Some people sign with an X. Signatures don't mean **** anymore but yet will still impart on them legal weight that is really not deserved.
I am having difficulty understanding if your two posts are because you did not read the entire thread or just did not comprehend. My response was to the Gentleman who said there was no way a dealer could keep a deposit if the sale was not consummated. That would have been post #35. For the second time, read post #23 where I stated I could not see how the dealer could keep the deposit. Two very different issues.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,992 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Absolutely. I’d even dispute the charge and get a new number. That is shady. They are out nothing as they still have the vehicle. Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:07 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2K14C7

But it wasn’t lost or stolen. I was taught not to lie. Seems to me that too many people don’t care anymore. The Golden Rule applies here but I guess I’m just old fashioned.
I was taught not to hit people either but if somebody hits me then those rules no longer apply. Same here. Why do you think it's different? If somebody acts discourteous to you then they should not expect nice behavior in return - period. IMHO the Golden Rule no longer applies when you first violate it.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:11 PM
defaria
Safety Car

I am having difficulty understanding if your two posts are because you did not read the entire thread or just did not comprehend. My response was to the Gentleman who said there was no way a dealer could keep a deposit if the sale was not consummated. That would have been post #35. For the second time, read post #23 where I stated I could not see how the dealer could keep the deposit. Two very different issues.
My point is that the issue here is about a deal with no contract and you're rattling on about deals with a contract. It's irrelevant and doesn't apply but you drone on and one about it. Why? It has really nothing to do with this thread.
The following users liked this post:
mschuyler (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 02:17 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Not necessarily a story but rather a statement of facts. In post #23 I stated I did not see how the dealer could keep the deposit without a signed buyers order. I did not try to keep deposits without a buyers order as I did not take them. By design they would need to be subject to inspection and verification of the vehicle in question. By policy, we had no desire to hold and tie up vehicles that were not considered sold.
It's a statement of facts that is irrelevant to the issue here. We're discussing apples and you're talking about oranges. We're talking a verbal agreement where the disposition of the deposit was not discussed at all and you're talking about reading the back of a page for terms and conditions that, in this case, does not exist. Like I said, nice story, but it is not pertinent to the issue.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:27 PM
123vette456
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

I would send the dealer a email cancelling the verbal agreement to purchase which may be barred due to the amount and not being in writing anyway. That is assuming there is a contract to begin with in that there was no meeting of the minds until you saw the purchase agreement. Then I would call my credit card company and request a new card with a new number. Don't have to say it was stolen. No new charges will then be able to be made on the old card. Card company can have a new card delivered in 24-48 hours if you ask.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:31 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

[QUOTE=rrsperry;1598509310]Why are you asking on an internet web forum? Call a lawyer.[/QUOTE]

Call a lawyer for what? He hasn't been charged anything
Old 12-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Don't wait! Contact your CC company... YESTERDAY! Easier to stop a transaction than reverse it! All the best.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

As I've heard the story, no agreement to the non-refundability of the deposit was ever disclosed thus you are not reneging on an agreement you never made. And no, I don't have any problem lying to somebody who's trying to rip me off. I will not start with immoral behavior but I will use it if I'm being unfairly treated. Pretty much the same principle of if you hit me expect to be hit back.
You heard it incorrectly as the OP agreed to purchase the C7 from the dealer, and backed it up by making deposit, he did not purchase it therefore he reneged on the agreement.
Secondly, the recommendation was made to lie to the credit card company, stating the card was stolen, the credit card company wasn't trying to rip anyone off.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 12-16-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:34 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Wouldn't that be fraud stating something on intrastate communications and lying to your own CC company?

Last edited by nmerhaut; 12-16-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:20 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

It's a statement of facts that is irrelevant to the issue here. We're discussing apples and you're talking about oranges. We're talking a verbal agreement where the disposition of the deposit was not discussed at all and you're talking about reading the back of a page for terms and conditions that, in this case, does not exist. Like I said, nice story, but it is not pertinent to the issue.
Obviously you and Defario are being deliberately obtuse. My response you want to drone on about was to a response by another contributor...not the OP. But, if that somehow makes you feel superior, go for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer issue “Non refundable” deposit

Old 12-16-2018, 04:22 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

He said he would buy the car. He changed his mind . . . lied.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:29 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
You heard it incorrectly as the OP agreed to purchase the C7 from the dealer, and backed it up by making deposit, he did not purchase it therefore he reneged on the agreement.
Making an agreement to check out a car and putting a deposit on it so that it's not sold to somebody else is not a 100% agreement that you will purchase the car. The dealer knows it. The OP knows it. If it were then no deposit would be required as he'd have to buy it no? At least that's according to your logic, which makes no sense BTW.

No, until a contract is entered into there is no agreement that the car would be sold to the OP. He was going to check it out. Many very valid things could contribute to his legal right to not enter into the deal and to not lose any money by doing so. As far as he was concerned the deposit was there only to hold the car for him so that he could see it and agree to the final sale. You know this is the case so why are you arguing with me?

Secondly, the recommendation was made to lie to the credit card company, stating the card was stolen, the credit card company wasn't trying to rip anyone off.
I would first dispute the charge with the CC company. It's a valid and legal service that the credit card companies offer so there's no harm in doing that.

If, however, I felt the dealer was extra shady and would run to pocket the money causing me to fight harder to get my rightful deposit back I would not hesitate to report the card stolen or lost to avert that grief. You cross me you better expect to be treated like ****. I have absolutely no problem with that (you do and I don't care that you do). Like the example I've given a few times here - if you hit me, you'll be hit back - PERIOD. And if you attempt to rip me off I will rip you off first. You don't like that - tough. Send the cops. I'll explain it to the judge and I will win. YMMV but mine doesn't.

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
Wouldn't that be fraud stating something on intrastate communications and lying to your own CC company?
Prove it. Good luck with that.

Obviously you and Defario are being deliberately obtuse. My response you want to drone on about was to a response by another contributor...not the OP. But, if that somehow makes you feel superior, go for it.
Defario eh? That's so 4th grade...

Your rambling about something that's irrelevant. We're just pointing that out. Apparently it caused you to revert to elementary school. Gook luck with that but I've given up trying to reason with adolescents....

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-16-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to multiple people look like this!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Charges, not deposits for larger purchases. What do they send him in the mail? 2,000/65,000ths of a car?
Besides, all he has to do is dispute the charge if they do have the stones to charge the card. Pretty sure it wont come to that,
I have processed charges of 10s of thousands of dollars without seeing the card, having a signature, or ever seeing the customer.

Quick Reply: Dealer issue “Non refundable” deposit