Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 14.5% off MSRP the best I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:54 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

5e OP is purchasing so close to the unveiling of the c8 if it were me Id wait ..prices will traditionally drop at least another five or ten percent once that happens both new and used...

it could be literally in January or a few weeks.

presently corvette and camaro “cash on the hood” is being held artifically low by gm marketing and instead gm has been using larger incentives on its sedan offerings.

i believe and its just an opinion that incentives from both the dealer and the factory will jncrease once the final year of c7 priduction jas been announced,

that should be in a couple of weeks as calender year 2019 is riht around the corner ...

the final year of any generation corvette does historically offer upwards of 25 percent discounts. Its been said on the various forums inventory of unsold corvettes is in the area of 20k units. I can not confirm that level of inventory yet I can state sales have dropped from a peak of 36k units or more per year to 22400 last year and this year corvette sales as of the end of November are at approximately 17800 units. December is not usually a big month for corvette sales so take this information and decide for yourself if you believe heavy discounts are right around the corner..

remember the final year unit sales of each dealership..(2019 in this case) do determine or usually determine how many allocations each dealer gets of the next generation that tend to be in very high demand and get msrp at a minimum...

id wait if you can ...

btw the discount could only be 22 percent ..i dont calculate the discounts that closely when say watching the 2017 calender year discounts that were available before the paint shop renovation...

that was an excelet time to buy as well.

i believe we will see a repeat if not even better discount in calender year 2019 as gm prepares to clear out inventory and sell off the final year of prodiction of the amazing c7...

you may be buyingoff the lot as the deals could be so good on existing inventoryyou may find the dealers discounting so much..you will effectively be getting options for free ...on a brand new car.

if it were me? Id look at the z51 option as it comes with heavy duty cooling and suspension pieces that over time extend durability in my opinion...

i base these opinions on three new corvettes over the padt twenty years of ownership.

my present trouble free owned since new corvette is a 2008 c6 z51 manual with 128k miles.

i love this car so much i couldnt sell it for the impressive c7 but i do plan on getting the rear mid engine c8 very shortly after it releases at msrp...

just shooting the breeze and if you want the c7 now and cant wait...for better than 14.5 percent off sticker...i totally respect that too.

good luck!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
14.5% discount off MSRP on a factory order is good, 10%>12% is more typical. As Rebel says, he's not making much on that C7 at such discount. If you want the car I'd advise going for it.
That sounds like a pretty good deal for an ordered car.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Well, you could spend a 100 hours on the interweb, trying to find another $1000 off, not have the car for 5 months, and drive everyone crazy with asking "is this a good deal for me?"

Or you could determine what's a good deal for you, and just buy the dang car... or not... No matter what you do it's going to depreciate way more than whatever you can save. so you're still going to lose money...
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

At some point you have to stop squeezing the lemon. 14.5% is a great discount.

Last edited by Corgidog1; 12-17-2018 at 09:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
Maxie2U (12-17-2018), Rebel Yell (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:43 AM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
At some point you have to stop squeezing the lemon. 14.5% is a great discount.
You could also wait until the C8 is announced for a potentially higher discount, but it currently looks like that's delayed so you might be waiting a while. There's always a cost to waiting and delaying your enjoyment as well. 14.5% seems like a great deal and if it's the right car for you buy it and enjoy it!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

This sounds like a price to order exactly what you want --- so do it now and end the sleepless nights!
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 PM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have a GM card they were offering $3000.00 rewards on a new vette a short time ago. I don't know if it's still good but something you might want to check out.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
There's no way you or anybody is going to order a new 2019 C7 "upwards of 25%." NFW......
No one here said that ^^^...read again.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Of course used is always an alternative, as is buying C7 from dealer inventory however OP states he's negotiating to order new. In regard to buying used, I personally wouldn't purchase a used 3LT considering a spent or diminishing warranty and the risk of having to deal with a leather dash issue and possibly a $3,000 repair. Additionally, I've seen no indication as to 1LTs being harder to sell, lots of C7 buyers prefer them. Typically what you find sitting on dealer lots for a year or two is 3LT Stingrays.
Im not sure I agree 100% with your last 2 sentences. A few thoughts - some may agree or disagree:

1) Most of the largest dealership ONLY sell 2LTs - if you look at Kerbeck's inventory I've NEVER seen a 3LT within their online inventory - so I dont think its a matter of buyers not "wanting" a 3LT - its a matter of availability...if you are buying a new Vette from Kerbeck - you are NOT getting a 3LT unless you order it.

2) I think the normal mentality in buying a car (new or used) would be to get the most options included...meaning "fully loaded" is most desirable. I've never walked into a dealership and say "show me the crapiest optioned car you have"...no one does that. This is even more true when buying used - since the deprecation hit is avoided, and the value is already lowered, it makes sense to go for the fully loaded model cause your already seeing savings, why not go for the most. Im a person who ONLY buys used cars and I never look at anything but fully loaded no matter what car Im buying - a Vette or a Lexus - I want the most options. So..to that end, if most folks buying a used car are looking for a fully loaded model - then as I stated a 1LT would be harder to sell...again that just my .02 cents / opinion...no way to prove or disprove.

3) I know this is going to spark a huge debate - but the folks that bought 1LT and 2LT cars seem to always feel they have to overly legitimize / defend their purchase to the folks that bought a 3LT... Not sure why but they do...but the biggest negative "claim" is the 3LT dashboard issues - which in reality seems to be MAYBE 15 to 20 guys posting here that they have this issue (Im totally guessing the number folks that posted here) but the bottom line its NOT the majority, but its brought front and center as a huge issue. I have a 3LT and no issues with my dash and other have posted the same... I would bet if there was an actual way to determine a true % of 3LT owners with the issue vs. total number of 3LT sold - you would probably see that this issue is truly a small percentage overall...but here with only a small number of folks posting, it seems to be bigger than it truly is...
Old 12-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Some people are waiting to buy a new C7 based on the idea that those prices will go down when the C8 is announced and the existing C7 inventory needs to be moved. That could happen.

But there are persistent recent rumors that the C8 is being significantly delayed. If that happens, then the existing C7 inventory may be all that's available for purchase, deep into 2019.
If the C8 is delayed, GM might want to continue C7 production for longer, but that can be difficult. The existing contracts with suppliers might have to be extended and/or re-negotiated. Some suppliers might be unable or unwilling to dance to GM's tune on this one.

Stay tuned, I'll let you know next summer how it's working out...
Old 12-17-2018, 01:10 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The key point here is "ordered car," if that, indeed, is what the OP meant, as in "ordered from the factory" as opposed to "ordered from the dealer's inventory." For a factory-ordered car that's a great deal. For a car "ordered" from inventory, maybe not so much. Cars in dealers' inventories will likely see greater discounts as the C8 gets closer. The risk for ordered cars is that the factory will stop taking orders for C7s. You don't know when that is going to happen. So if you want to squeeze the last dime out of this deal, choose a car in inventory from a large dealer that looks just like every other car in inventory. Be willing to compromise on color and options and make an offer. On the other hand, if you want a car built to your exact specifications with zero compromises, order from the factory. But you are NOT going to squeeze the last dime AND order from the factory. Pick what is most important to you and go for it.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:20 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
The key point here is "ordered car," if that, indeed, is what the OP meant, as in "ordered from the factory" as opposed to "ordered from the dealer's inventory." For a factory-ordered car that's a great deal. For a car "ordered" from inventory, maybe not so much. Cars in dealers' inventories will likely see greater discounts as the C8 gets closer. The risk for ordered cars is that the factory will stop taking orders for C7s. You don't know when that is going to happen. So if you want to squeeze the last dime out of this deal, choose a car in inventory from a large dealer that looks just like every other car in inventory. Be willing to compromise on color and options and make an offer. On the other hand, if you want a car built to your exact specifications with zero compromises, order from the factory. But you are NOT going to squeeze the last dime AND order from the factory. Pick what is most important to you and go for it.
I forgot about that Mike. It is for certain no one knows when the C7 order banks will actually close. I ask that question to Mike Furman, and he said he didn't know when GM would stop accepting orders as of now. So, if Mr. Furman doesn't know, nobody knows.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by p4snow
Thinking about moving up to a C7 and have been offered 14.5% off MSRP to order one from a Forum dealer if I order this month - 1LT Stingray coupe with A8. Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is and whether I should try for 16-17% off. I’m hoping the discount might be sweeter in January or February when Corvette sales seem to be at their lowest level, plus there might be some incentives from GM. Thanks, everyone.
No, I think you should insist they upgrade the floor mats...what an idiot PERIOD, IMHO.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

On an ordered car, 14.5% sounds great. I bought mine early this year and got a slightly better deal from a forum dealer, but I bought it from stock inventory a month or so before the 2019's started shipping.

I still get a bit disturbed at all of the local dealers in my area, who wouldn't budge much off sticker from an inventory car, or gave minimal discounts on inventory cars that were pushing 16 months old from the manufacture date.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,594 Posts

See my comments in RED.

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Im not sure I agree 100% with your last 2 sentences. A few thoughts - some may agree or disagree:

1) Most of the largest dealership ONLY sell 2LTs - if you look at Kerbeck's inventory I've NEVER seen a 3LT within their online inventory - so I dont think its a matter of buyers not "wanting" a 3LT - its a matter of availability...if you are buying a new Vette from Kerbeck - you are NOT getting a 3LT unless you order it.

I don't agree, I just checked both Kerbecks and MacMulkin and without counting both seem to have about the same quantity of new 1LTs as 2LTs in inventory. I didn't see any 3LTs in Kerbeck's inventory and not many in MacMulkin's inventory. One thing you can bet your life savings on is that new car dealers order the models and trim packages for inventory that sell the fastest. You don't see many 3LTs on lots because dealers have a difficult time selling them. Find a 3LT Stingray on a dealer's lot and you can bet on 2 things, one it's been on the lot a while and two it's going to be highly discounted.

2) I think the normal mentality in buying a car (new or used) would be to get the most options included...meaning "fully loaded" is most desirable. I've never walked into a dealership and say "show me the crapiest optioned car you have"...no one does that. This is even more true when buying used - since the deprecation hit is avoided, and the value is already lowered, it makes sense to go for the fully loaded model cause your already seeing savings, why not go for the most. Im a person who ONLY buys used cars and I never look at anything but fully loaded no matter what car Im buying - a Vette or a Lexus - I want the most options. So..to that end, if most folks buying a used car are looking for a fully loaded model - then as I stated a 1LT would be harder to sell...again that just my .02 cents / opinion...no way to prove or disprove.

I don't agree, I think normal mentality when buying a car is to get the options/features the individual wants and is going to use, not to pay thousands extra for stuff you don't want, just to feed your ego and brag I bought "FULLY LOADED".

3) I know this is going to spark a huge debate - but the folks that bought 1LT and 2LT cars seem to always feel they have to overly legitimize / defend their purchase to the folks that bought a 3LT... Not sure why but they do...but the biggest negative "claim" is the 3LT dashboard issues - which in reality seems to be MAYBE 15 to 20 guys posting here that they have this issue (Im totally guessing the number folks that posted here) but the bottom line its NOT the majority, but its brought front and center as a huge issue. I have a 3LT and no issues with my dash and other have posted the same... I would bet if there was an actual way to determine a true % of 3LT owners with the issue vs. total number of 3LT sold - you would probably see that this issue is truly a small percentage overall...but here with only a small number of folks posting, it seems to be bigger than it truly is...
I will agree with you there as 1LT and 2LT owners do often fine themselves having to defend themselves against the insults and belittling from some (not all) 3LT owners who believe they are so Superior. Only 15 to 20 guys with 3LT leather dash issues, are you serious?

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 12-17-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
On an ordered car, 14.5% sounds great. I bought mine early this year and got a slightly better deal from a forum dealer, but I bought it from stock inventory a month or so before the 2019's started shipping.

I still get a bit disturbed at all of the local dealers in my area, who wouldn't budge much off sticker from an inventory car, or gave minimal discounts on inventory cars that were pushing 16 months old from the manufacture date.
Yup.....my local Chev. dealers were offering -4% to -5% on ordering a new C7. LOL! As if they were doing you a favor. So, NFW. I bought @ nearly -20% discount off MSRP, on an in-stock, in-year 2017 - but I had to travel 225 miles to get it.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000
Really? What’s the thought process on that? I mean I’m talking nearly new..but used. Practically full warranty, mint condition...just a whole lot cheaper than new. Corvette is a car that most people tend to take extra good care of plus if you have the warranty, if something does break you are covered. Why not save a ton of dough and put some of what you saved on it towards making the car even more awesome and still be under the cost of a new one?
Well for one thing you are sometimes buying someone else problems in a used C7. Don't get me wrong, as I have bought many used Corvettes without having issue but still used isn't the only way to go.
Like below for example.

Originally Posted by New_Corvette_Owner
Hello Everyone! First off, this is my first corvette albeit used but still thrilling just the same! I bought my car as a CPO with the dealer telling me that everything would be covered under warranty for a year (or 12k miles) if I purchased so I would have nothing to worry about. Well, three weeks into ownership I found out that is not the case. My dash is peeling around the fog vent and is bubbling around the HUD. From my research this is a common problem especially with the 3LT trim, how could this not be covered under warranty?! Has anyone had any luck with getting GM to look into this issue?

Owned the car 3 weeks:
Week 1: Had to change out Torque Converter Fluid because the car was shaking so bad when going to v4.
Week 2: Replaced passenger seat motor. (Seat raised up but never went back down)
Week 3: Turned the heat on over the course of ownership and now my dash is falling apart.

Starting to think I made a huge mistake in buying this car.

Get notified of new replies

To Is 14.5% off MSRP the best I can do?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:52 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Not sure if discounts will increase after January but I was told the list price will go up a tad. About $1000 more on Grand Sports.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:47 PM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions. I’ve decided to hold off unti January and see if there are any incentives, although I wonder why GM would increase the price now and turn around the following month and offer a rebate or low rate financing or whatever they might think would sell more cars.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:18 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

This seems like a hell of a deal...

just something to look at if its the color you like.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tim-boone.html

Quick Reply: Is 14.5% off MSRP the best I can do?