C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 01:10 AM
flyforfun
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
There is deft an issue with the Grand Sport Wheels. I know of one locally with the same issue. Dealership told the owner that is not covered under warranty. Just a matter of time before a class action lawsuit is filed. I'm sure a lawyer that purchased a Grand Sport that has the same issue will probably get involved. I was hoping to get a new Grand Sport next year, but this has me thinking otherwise or maybe get the tire/wheel insurance.
Tire and wheel insurance is a good call. I got it for mine.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:20 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by gowenfast
I think you're brave driving the car at all with a crack in the wheel like that...
I agree.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Pamela Corkill
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red62vette
If you have this problem, as a start, file a complaint to the NHTSA https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevro...s/wheels.shtml

I am a very non-litigious person, but I think this warrants a lawsuit if they won't do the right thing about these obviously bad wheels.
Thank You!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Prowler58 (08-17-2019)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2017 GS. I just had 3 bent wheels straightened and one rear cracked wheel replaced. I had wheel and tire insurance. I am now looking for new wheels to replace these as I know this will only happen again. I have no idea if this will be any better. I am just not comfortable driving with wheels that have been repaired and are probably now weaker then when they were new
Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by footba4672
I have a 2017 GS. I just had 3 bent wheels straightened and one rear cracked wheel replaced. I had wheel and tire insurance. I am now looking for new wheels to replace these as I know this will only happen again. I have no idea if this will be any better. I am just not comfortable driving with wheels that have been repaired and are probably now weaker then when they were new
Which wheels did you get on your '17 GS? We have the GS machined-face aluminum wheels and wonder whether they also have this "crack" issue. Please advise.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 09-25-2018, 12:05 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Is the cracked rim fiasco just endemic the the Grand Sport? Or are the Z06 people having this issue? It seems a real shame that something that is so important to the car is not manufactured with proper strength.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:16 PM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
Which wheels did you get on your '17 GS? We have the GS machined-face aluminum wheels and wonder whether they also have this "crack" issue. Please advise.
Heidi
Save the Wave
I just ordered the new ZR! wheel. I had a shudder in the steering wheel and I thought it was the balancing. My mechanic found one wheel bent and after checking the others found the other issues . If you feel the steering wheel shudder be sure to get the wheels checked
Old 09-25-2018, 12:38 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

This firm appears to be a leader in auto class action cases, and says they litigated the Z06 cooling problem. Someone who has had wheel problems should contact them and provide links to this and several other threads on this forum. As I said before, I’m strongly non-litigious. But there are times and places for legal action, and GM isn’t doing the right thing about these obviously bad wheels.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/forms/contact-us
Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by joemessman
Is the cracked rim fiasco just endemic the the Grand Sport? Or are the Z06 people having this issue? It seems a real shame that something that is so important to the car is not manufactured with proper strength.
Plenty of threads about cracked or bent Z wheels. Bought my 2016 last December and an inspection found a cracked rim which the dealer replaced. Thought that was an isolated incident till I began to frequent the Z section here.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

I just ordered the new ZR! wheel. I had a shudder in the steering wheel and I thought it was the balancing. My mechanic found one wheel bent and after checking the others found the other issues . If you feel the steering wheel shudder be sure to get the wheels checked
Thanks; did you have the black wheels on your original purchase? I'm curious whether the machined-face aluminum wheels, which cost extra also show these cracks.
Heidi
Old 09-25-2018, 12:51 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
The fact that it leaked all the air out quickly indicates that the crack itself was not there prior to whatever the OP hit, and he must have hit something. Unlike regular 50 to 60 series tires, the low profile run flats in a Corvette, will never bubble when you hit something, even if you hit it hard enough to completely destroy the rim.
My C6 BASE did get a bubble in the sidewall. Was from an impact on a spot being prepped to be filled in on the hwy, so it was a sharp edge, about 2" deep. Bent my rim also.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:58 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
Plenty of threads about cracked or bent Z wheels. Bought my 2016 last December and an inspection found a cracked rim which the dealer replaced. Thought that was an isolated incident till I began to frequent the Z section here.
Thanks for your reply. Are people driving in Track mode? It doesn't sound like it. Just bad wheels I guess. Hopefully when I order my Z06 they'll have a wheel selection that is preferred by buyers that will be resistant to cracks. Possibly there is a recommendation now for staying away from certain wheel styles?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:02 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

BTW, I searched the Porsche forums. There isn't much, if anything, on bent wheels there. And those wheels are large/low-profile also. My Macan has 21" forged wheels, and I don't have a problem with them and haven't heard of any at all. Not all large wheels are crappy, just the ones on our cars.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:46 PM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
Thanks; did you have the black wheels on your original purchase? I'm curious whether the machined-face aluminum wheels, which cost extra also show these cracks.
Heidi

I had the Chrome wheels
Heidemarie (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by joemessman
Thanks for your reply. Are people driving in Track mode? It doesn't sound like it. Just bad wheels I guess. Hopefully when I order my Z06 they'll have a wheel selection that is preferred by buyers that will be resistant to cracks. Possibly there is a recommendation now for staying away from certain wheel styles?
My initial thought when I found out I had a cracked wheel also was that the previous owner used sport mode on the street. But then I found these threads where that is not the case. It would be nice to find out how common this problem is.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by red62vette
BTW, I searched the Porsche forums. There isn't much, if anything, on bent wheels there. And those wheels are large/low-profile also. My Macan has 21" forged wheels, and I don't have a problem with them and haven't heard of any at all. Not all large wheels are crappy, just the ones on our cars.
Many here do say forged is the answer. It would be a bit of a bummer to be forced to lay out that kind of coin however.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

This is why I didn't get the insurance. First of all the tires only last like 10k miles. Secondly, they're 'fixing' the bent crappy rims instead of replacing - no thanks. And if the wheels are this crappy, then I'm just going to replace mine - and if I have to, and GM doesn't do something about this issue, it's another mark against them for when I want another car. I'm not a fan of how GM seems to be dealing (or more accurately, not dealing) with all the issues with this car.

I'm at almost 5k on my 19 GS, and so far I haven't had any problems, but if I do run into any of the problems associated with the C7, I'm not looking forward to testing GM customer service and getting the issue resolved to my satisfaction. I knew about all these problems before I bought the car and I only still went ahead with the purchase because it's been a lifelong dream and I'm absolutely in love with the look of the car (whoever designed it - great job man). You'd think GM would really want to impress and keep customers like us who spend so much on cars - well handling an issue like this wheel fiasco isn't gonna do that.

Get notified of new replies

To OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)

Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
This is why I didn't get the insurance. First of all the tires only last like 10k miles. Secondly, they're 'fixing' the bent crappy rims instead of replacing - no thanks. And if the wheels are this crappy, then I'm just going to replace mine - and if I have to, and GM doesn't do something about this issue, it's another mark against them for when I want another car. I'm not a fan of how GM seems to be dealing (or more accurately, not dealing) with all the issues with this car.

I'm at almost 5k on my 19 GS, and so far I haven't had any problems, but if I do run into any of the problems associated with the C7, I'm not looking forward to testing GM customer service and getting the issue resolved to my satisfaction. I knew about all these problems before I bought the car and I only still went ahead with the purchase because it's been a lifelong dream and I'm absolutely in love with the look of the car (whoever designed it - great job man). You'd think GM would really want to impress and keep customers like us who spend so much on cars - well handling an issue like this wheel fiasco isn't gonna do that.

You haven't had any problems. Don't get worked up about "what might happen", it's a waste of energy.

I bought the tire/wheel plan because it was for 5 years and no deductible, it was a no brainer, 1 wheel takes a hit and it pays for itself (i have the machine faced GS wheels).

Last edited by Thunder22; 09-25-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
Many here do say forged is the answer. It would be a bit of a bummer to be forced to lay out that kind of coin however.
I spent 4K on forged Mono Block CCWs and I still had one bend on a pot hole! Normal CA roads are getting insane.
Carvin (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:05 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
You haven't had any problems. Don't get worked up about "what might happen", it's a waste of energy.

I bought the tire/wheel plan because it was $100/year for 5 years and no deductible, it was a no brainer, 1 wheel takes a hit and it pays for itself (i have the machine faced GS wheels).
Thunder could you share with us where you got your wheel & tire insurance! Not sure of the rules here on CF whether you can mention the vendor here. If rules permit then post up, otherwise could you just PM me. I have an order in for a GS and I want to prepare myself for any future wheel/tire failure. TIA

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)