C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

There's definitely a problem with the GS wheels - a magazine (can't remember which one) did a long term test of the GS and they went through several wheels every few thousand miles (either bent or cracked). GM is claiming they are 'unaware' of the problem which is complete BS.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:52 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
There's definitely a problem with the GS wheels - a magazine (can't remember which one) did a long term test of the GS and they went through several wheels every few thousand miles (either bent or cracked). GM is claiming they are 'unaware' of the problem which is complete BS.
This:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rt-reliability
Old 10-19-2018, 12:06 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

I have replaced all 4 due to cracked and out of round at 5K miles. Dealer would not even consider warranty on them. Of the 4 new ones I have one (checked last week) that is already out of round at 10K miles. There is a problem with the wheels and they do not want to admit it. I will eventually go with a set of Forged if I ever find a set I like that is not 10K. Short tearm we have a wheel repair place close that will fix them for $150 a wheel. I will just keep fixing and switching wheels when they have issues.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:08 PM
rigelkentaurus
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

Let's stipulate, that the GS has bad wheels, and that it is not the very low profile tires or anything else. What aftermarket wheel is strong enough such that those will not bend. I would like to have a game plan so that when I bend my first wheel, I know what to replacement them with and have confidence that the problem is resolved once and for all.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:10 PM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rigelkentaurus
Let's stipulate, that the GS has bad wheels, and that it is not the very low profile tires or anything else. What aftermarket wheel is strong enough such that those will not bend. I would like to have a game plan so that when I bend my first wheel, I know what to replacement them with and have confidence that the problem is resolved once and for all.
We're still here, doing what we've been doing the last 40 years! If you want the confidence that you're getting the best wheels around, feel free to shoot me over a message, we've got tons of wheel styles and lots of colors to pick from

We back our wheels up with a lifetime structural warranty so if you want confidence, that's exactly what I'm selling

Check out our currently wheel catalog here - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-gallery.html

Last edited by HRE_Jurrian; 10-19-2018 at 12:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HRE_Jurrian:
orca1946 (10-29-2018), thewb (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:26 PM
MMD
Safety Car

I'd like to see people here having this problem be proactive in there finding a solution. I'd recommend starting a writing campaign to GM's CEO Mary Barra. Many others on this forum have done this and while their are no guarentees this will have a positive effect you will at least get the attention of GM's upper management that there is a problem here and it should be looked at. I found Mary's email address on this forum. I would suggest try writing her, stating you case with any facts you can present and most of all be very respectful in your tone. I will be taking delivery of my factory ordered 2019 GS in about a month and I am regretably anticipating having the same wheels problems many of you here have been experiencing.

Mary Barra's email address:
mary.barra@gm.com
Old 10-19-2018, 12:32 PM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

I can't remember specifics, but I remember the teachers talking about cracked wheels at Spring Mountain. As I recall, there is a problem because of the wheel shape/design (offset? size? tire width?, don't remember). The design, plus width of tire and having to accodomate the size of the very large rotors created a situation where wheels were sometimes cracking due to stress fatigue. They said the problem was exacerbated by driving in Sport or Track mode often which increased the stress when hitting bumps.

My guess is Chevy is aware of this (Spring Mountain sure was). The problem will be finding out who knows it and getting it covered under warranty.

Last edited by thompstl1; 10-19-2018 at 12:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rlbock (11-02-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 01:33 PM
flenn
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone says that driving in Sport or Track increases your chances of a bent/cracked wheel but I've questioned this in a previous thread and still not satisfied with any of the answers.

My question (and maybe only GM knows the answer) is whether enough force can be generated to damage a wheel without bottoming out the suspension. To ask another way, can the wheel be damaged within the normal stroke/travel of the shocks? If the answer is no, then the suspension HAS to bottom out before enough force is applied to the wheels to bend/crack. And if that's the case, then driving in Sport or Track will help minimize wheel damage. Both driving modes offer more bottoming resistance and will help dissipate energy before bottoming.

I bent 2 wheels on my '17 GS driving home from my 500 mile oil change in Touring mode. Simply drove over an irregular road condition on the Interstate that we all experience from time to time but never does any real damage (to other cars).
Old 10-19-2018, 03:45 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

2019 GS chrome rims approx. 3 months old with 6000 miles.... 2 bent front rims and now a back cracked rim. I have not hit anything to cause these problems. The two front were bent at 1000 miles from rolling over a joint in the road from some road construction at 30mph and have been waiting on new rims for 10 weeks. Totally unacceptable and should fall under warranty since it’s happening to numerous owners.
MMD (10-19-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:36 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I have a question on this. Are the Z06 cars having the same issue as the Grand Sports? Same size tires and wheels.

This makes me worry about my 18 Grand Sport
Old 10-21-2018, 09:25 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
I have a question on this. Are the Z06 cars having the same issue as the Grand Sports? Same size tires and wheels.

This makes me worry about my 18 Grand Sport
I would love to know this too.

This is what is on my 2019 GS chrome rims.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by jenfioreally

I would love to know this too.

This is what is on my 2019 GS chrome rims.

Is your dealer replacing these? If not I’d go with aftermarket. Maybe they will hold up better.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:27 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zjoe6

Is your dealer replacing these? If not I’d go with aftermarket. Maybe they will hold up better.
I’m finding out today....
my car insurance paid for the 2 front ones that are on order (it’s been 10 weeks since they ordered) I was told they changed vendors and that’s why they have not come in. If that’s the case then I want all changed to the new wheels or I’m gonna take my money and buy aftermarket. Mine is a daily driver plus I’m on the highway most of those miles and I’m concerned now for my safety.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by gowenfast
I think you're brave driving the car at all with a crack in the wheel like that...
I asked about safety with my cracked rim.
They told me I was fine and nothing to worry about. 🤷🏼*♀️
Freerider969 (04-27-2022)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:21 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

My Porsche has forged 21” wheels. No problems. Check the Porsche forums, no one has any problems. My point is that this is a solvable design problem but these wheels are garbage. I’m a very non litigious person, but someone who has this problem should contact a class action firm with auto experience. I posted one on an earlier thread.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/forms/contact-us

Last edited by red62vette; 10-22-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:12 PM
hungwang
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just found 3 cracks in my 2017 GS. Rear passenger. looks just like the pics from what others have posted in this thread. Took it to a GM dealership. they said it's not covered by warranty. can't be fixed. over $800 to replace.

Hopefully i won't encounter another issue. but if i do, i will be looking in to getting forgred rims. I do not know much about good wheel manufacturers for corvettes as this is my first one. had an old Evo before this that had forged BBS wheels. never had a problem with those. Can anyone recommend a good set of forged rims for a Corvette?

thanks,
Old 10-24-2018, 04:25 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hungwang
Just found 3 cracks in my 2017 GS. Rear passenger. looks just like the pics from what others have posted in this thread. Took it to a GM dealership. they said it's not covered by warranty. can't be fixed. over $800 to replace.

Hopefully i won't encounter another issue. but if i do, i will be looking in to getting forgred rims. I do not know much about good wheel manufacturers for corvettes as this is my first one. had an old Evo before this that had forged BBS wheels. never had a problem with those. Can anyone recommend a good set of forged rims for a Corvette?

thanks,
So are you saying you had a total of 3 cracks on your 2 rear wheels? How many miles are on your vehicle and did you go over a pot hole to cause this wheel damage? TIA

Get notified of new replies

To OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)

Old 10-25-2018, 10:40 AM
hungwang
Intermediate

Hi,

I am saying i have 3 cracks in one wheel. the rear passenger side wheel. actually, i had one crack in the same wheel months ago. i had taken it to a shop thinking i had a nail in the tire because the pressure was dropping. they informed me of that crack. They said they could fix it by welding. i told them to go ahead. seemed ok for about 4 months or so. then the tire pressure start dropping this past weekend. took it back to the same place where they found 3 more cracks in different spots and said that it was too many to fix this time. That's when i took it to the dealership.

have just under 24k miles. no pot holes. never tracked the car. just commute to work and some road trips here and there.

Last edited by hungwang; 10-25-2018 at 10:41 AM.
MMD (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by hungwang
Hi,

I am saying i have 3 cracks in one wheel. the rear passenger side wheel. actually, i had one crack in the same wheel months ago. i had taken it to a shop thinking i had a nail in the tire because the pressure was dropping. they informed me of that crack. They said they could fix it by welding. i told them to go ahead. seemed ok for about 4 months or so. then the tire pressure start dropping this past weekend. took it back to the same place where they found 3 more cracks in different spots and said that it was too many to fix this time. That's when i took it to the dealership.

have just under 24k miles. no pot holes. never tracked the car. just commute to work and some road trips here and there.
I think I'd make a run at a District Manager of some sort with Chevrolet. The Dealer may have decided "no", but I'd keep escalating. If they've switched vendors based on the other person's post, it was either a cost or quality issue....and in this case I'm guessing quality. Under that assumption, it should be paid by warranty.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 10-25-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:55 PM
hungwang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MMD
I'd like to see people here having this problem be proactive in there finding a solution. I'd recommend starting a writing campaign to GM's CEO Mary Barra. Many others on this forum have done this and while their are no guarentees this will have a positive effect you will at least get the attention of GM's upper management that there is a problem here and it should be looked at. I found Mary's email address on this forum. I would suggest try writing her, stating you case with any facts you can present and most of all be very respectful in your tone. I will be taking delivery of my factory ordered 2019 GS in about a month and I am regretably anticipating having the same wheels problems many of you here have been experiencing.

Mary Barra's email address:
mary.barra@gm.com
I did send an email yesterday. I even referenced this thread in the email. Surprisingly, they did call me today. I missed the call though and it went to voicemail. I will update when i hear back from GM.

in the meantime, i agree with MMD that we should be writing to the CEO. There are quite a few of us in just this thread alone that suffered from these wheel cracks. there are other threads in this forum that i found regarding the same issue.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)