Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bent/Cracked Wheels Reporting to NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Adm

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent/Cracked Wheels Reporting to NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Adm

Old 05-31-2019, 02:14 AM
Wadoka
CF Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Originally Posted by Elk View Post
How often is a bent wheel repairable? What is the cost?
I cracked wheel number 7, 3 weeks ago. (4 bent, 3 cracked, since April 29 2017).

I had the dealer order another new wheel, because I need the car on the road - it is my only car, my DD.

There's a shortage of available replacement wheels...for some reason.

Anyway, after waiting 3 weeks and dying inside, driving a loaner Tahoe, I asked the dealer if they could call in a wheel straightener, because I'd saved my old bent wheels.

The mobile wheel straightener repaired my "You weren't kidding, that wheel was really bent!" wheel.

$150 to repair, $17 to unmount and re-mount the tire on the repaired wheel.

Gloss black Grand Sport stock rear wheel.

I am back on the road, no more [email protected]#$ loaner Tahoe - and 3 weeks ago, I ordered a set of Forgeline GA1R gloss black, stock sizes, from Gerry @ Custom Wheels for Less.

I can't wait for the new wheels to ship!
The following users liked this post:
Elk (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:11 AM
trumanjd1
CF Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
I cracked wheel number 7, 3 weeks ago. (4 bent, 3 cracked, since April 29 2017).

I had the dealer order another new wheel, because I need the car on the road - it is my only car, my DD.

There's a shortage of available replacement wheels...for some reason.

Anyway, after waiting 3 weeks and dying inside, driving a loaner Tahoe, I asked the dealer if they could call in a wheel straightener, because I'd saved my old bent wheels.

The mobile wheel straightener repaired my "You weren't kidding, that wheel was really bent!" wheel.

$150 to repair, $17 to unmount and re-mount the tire on the repaired wheel.

Gloss black Grand Sport stock rear wheel.

I am back on the road, no more [email protected]#$ loaner Tahoe - and 3 weeks ago, I ordered a set of Forgeline GA1R gloss black, stock sizes, from Gerry @ Custom Wheels for Less.

I can't wait for the new wheels to ship!
Same here...I ordered a set of VX1R's ...my 2019 GS sits in dealer bay with 4 bent wheels. ins co paying $2800.00 for 4 new OEM'S...IF they can find them...wont let me use another source for supplier. When Forgelines come in..they will be mounted immediately...Funny thing...I went on GM parts online...to search availability...and website says wheels are warranted by GM...still trying to get explanation or double talk answer from dealer why I had to use my insurance..or even purchase ins policy when I took delivery if these crappy cheap made Mexican / Chinese cast wheels! I encourage everyone also to file complaint with NHTSA and GM customer service!
Old 05-31-2019, 01:28 PM
R1crusher

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Currently have been dealing with my wheel and tire warranty company on 3 of 4 bent wheels on our '17 GS w/ 5500 miles. My problem is that the warranty company is now they are trying to pass the buck back to GM because of bent wheels instead of replacing them. I have had my dealer and an independent wheel repair business who the warranty company sent me to tell them 2 need replaced and one was "fixed". So it's been over a week and a half now with no word and was told that the warranty company would be sending out yet a 3rd person to inspect the wheels before they will proceed with replacing them.

This has been going on for nearly 2 months now and I still have 2 bent wheels with no resolution in site. It's been nothing short of a complete waste of my time and money having to drive over an hour each way to have anything done.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:43 PM
trumanjd1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by R1crusher View Post
Currently have been dealing with my wheel and tire warranty company on 3 of 4 bent wheels on our '17 GS w/ 5500 miles. My problem is that the warranty company is now they are trying to pass the buck back to GM because of bent wheels instead of replacing them. I have had my dealer and an independent wheel repair business who the warranty company sent me to tell them 2 need replaced and one was "fixed". So it's been over a week and a half now with no word and was told that the warranty company would be sending out yet a 3rd person to inspect the wheels before they will proceed with replacing them.

This has been going on for nearly 2 months now and I still have 2 bent wheels with no resolution in site. It's been nothing short of a complete waste of my time and money having to drive over an hour each way to have anything done.

I have similar problem..I have 4 bent wheels and dealer has approved claim to replace...Problem is there are none to be had....I asked Parts Mgr how long to I have to wait to sit on my undriveable 2019 GS...he replied...as long as it takes!!! Screw GM...I called some online GM part sites...for pt#84073056/FRONT WHEEL and pt# 84073058/rear wheel AND SOME SAY NONE AVAILABLE, and other say DISCONTINUED!
Now trying to reach claims adjuster to get permission to purchase OEM WHEELS from House of Wheels /Bob, who says he has OEM's in stock and can ship to me in 4 days ! This really sucks, and when I try to purchase online from GMPARTSGIANT.COM, ...THE REMARKS READ "GM, the genuine GM partis guaranteedby GM's FACTORY WARRANTY...What B$$ S$$!
Old 05-31-2019, 01:57 PM
TNSQUIRE
CF Senior Member

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

All of these bent and cracked wheel reports are really disturbing. I have two road trips planned for my 2019 GS and now I'm not sure I'd want to take the chance.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:57 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 107 Posts

I replaced my GS wheels with ZR1 wheels from Bobs. The ZR1 wheels are flow forged which is stronger than the Cast OEM GS wheels.

Might be an expeditious alternative.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:09 PM
R1crusher

Went and called the warranty company since I got all worked up over these wheels again. They are setting up a 3rd inspection by yet another company. I explained that I am in no way driving my car to anymore places and if they want to inspect it they can come to my home to do so. They agreed at least to that.

We'll see what happens over the next couple weeks.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:25 PM
Vette Ski
CF Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 114 Posts

This is really extremely upsetting and ridiculous that GM is not addressing this problem !!!!!!!!
Rich
Old 05-31-2019, 04:00 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,950 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy View Post
I replaced my GS wheels with ZR1 wheels from Bobs. The ZR1 wheels are flow forged which is stronger than the Cast OEM GS wheels.

Might be an expeditious alternative.
Hmm, the GM Grand Sport Wheels are NOT cast, they are "Flow Forged (called rotary forging by the manufacturer!)"

Just posted this info on a Thread with a cracked rim that was not bent:

I have had no problems in 2 years with my optional Grand Sport Machined Faced Aluminum wheels. And even though I have posted what TireRack has said about the manufacturing process used to make the GM Grand Sport wheels, IT MAY produce the similar strength as a monoblock forged wheel rim BUT it could be more brittle!

My Grand Sport wheels are marked, made in Mexico with a Tradmark name (Speedline) owned by the European company (Ronal) with a plant in Mexico (as Tadge mentions in his Forum post on the subject) by what they call Rotary Forging - same as flow forming. That manufacturing process was shown in the first C7 Bash video for the Z51 wheels. (The base Stingray wheels May be cast and from China.). It is listed in TireRack tech info as Flow-Formed with the other processes, like casting and monoblock forged wheels. This is what TireRack states:

"As noted in the TireRack Flow-Formed description: "...This results in a stronger outer hoop, with aligned aluminum grain structure. The resulting wheel is a cast faced wheel with a hoop that has properties similar to a forged wheel."

IT MAY BE as strong with all the hot and cold working to make that thin rim, so since it didn't bend before cracking, is it more brittle! Was the "Rotary Forming" process, as Swiss Based wheel manufacturer Ronal calls it- - in control? Is the chemistry to spec?

If I had a cracked wheel I would try making a case at the Chevy Dealer to see his GM Area Service Manager who visits often. BUT even if one could convince him with some fracture toughness data test results from a cracked wheel, perhaps to much at stake at corporate for Headquarters” to agree! Might be worth the cost to have a metallurgical Lab run a few tests. Although we don't have the GM specs if it shows poor tensile elongation and low fracture toughness numbers one could make a case!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-01-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 PM
KC - Grand Sport

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So we finally got a response from our local Chevrolet dealership (not where I bought my 2017 GS because they didn't have what I wanted on the lot) but where I go for parts and service on all our GM cars. My wife spoke to service manager who said that he would see what he could do about our 2 cracked rear wheels. He said they were not covered by the warranty but since we are such good GM / Chevrolet customers that he would try to take care of the issue. We presently own 6 GM products (C7 GS, 2 Gen 4 Camaros, 2007 Yukon XL, 72 Eldorado conv (wifes toy), and a Gen 4 Firebird Formula). Not to mention 4 other previously owned GM cars, truck and SUV. When my wife took my car into to be looked at today the service tech suggested it was unsafe to be driving the car on the road with the cracked rear wheels and that she should leave the car with them. Will let you know what happens but at least the dealership is fighting for us for know.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 AM
trumanjd1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KC - Grand Sport View Post
So we finally got a response from our local Chevrolet dealership (not where I bought my 2017 GS because they didn't have what I wanted on the lot) but where I go for parts and service on all our GM cars. My wife spoke to service manager who said that he would see what he could do about our 2 cracked rear wheels. He said they were not covered by the warranty but since we are such good GM / Chevrolet customers that he would try to take care of the issue. We presently own 6 GM products (C7 GS, 2 Gen 4 Camaros, 2007 Yukon XL, 72 Eldorado conv (wifes toy), and a Gen 4 Firebird Formula). Not to mention 4 other previously owned GM cars, truck and SUV. When my wife took my car into to be looked at today the service tech suggested it was unsafe to be driving the car on the road with the cracked rear wheels and that she should leave the car with them. Will let you know what happens but at least the dealership is fighting for us for know.
Good Luck in finding your wheels...I have my 2019 GS with 4 bent wheels sitting at dealership...parts dept cannot find replacements..nothing in system at all at this time.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 AM
z51vett
CF Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

House of wheels has GM wheels for sale my dealer bought from them.
z51vett
Doug
Old 06-05-2019, 09:21 AM
dave_2012_tt
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24 View Post
Pissed off!, ... My Grand Sport is 1 year old this week, and it's been babied the entire time when it comes to driving over road imperfections. 8,000 miles on the odometer, yet my driver's rear tire has been leaking air slowly since about 4,000 miles. Last 2 weeks the leak has become so bad it's been flat (11 psi) twice the next day after having been properly filled the day before! (I've always carried a portable tire inflator in he trunk). This is sooo obvious that there is a manufacturer's problem with these cast aluminum 12" wide wheels on the Z06 and Grand Sport models. GM should be exposed for denying anyone's claim when one of these are bent or cracked within the warrantee period. WHAT MAKES ME EVEN ANGRIER IS THAT MUCH OF THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE AVOIDED IF CHEVROLET WOULD MAKE THE "MAG RIDE UPDATE" AVAILABLE FOR FREE, INSTEAD OF THE $350 THEY CHARGE!!!" ... Many who have paid for this ridiculous charge, (SHOULD BE FREE) ... have said it makes the suspension and ride, softer and far more compliant while improving the the cornering and handling. I believe this would go a long way toward relieving the stresses these wheels are failing under! I wish we would organize and file a class action lawsuit against GM for these wheel failures! Now I have to go through the aggravation, time loss of vehicle usage and probably still have to pay for a wheel repair that itself will likely crack again, ... or buy a whole new set of aftermarket wheels !!! I too will be contacting the NHTSA to file my complaint!
Interesting point - I thought about the mag ride update and since the reports of rims breaking I was surprised GM does not make it free. Since the mag update is on all 2019 corvettes it would be nice to have a separate count of 19 GS and z06 having the issues.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:26 AM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,950 Likes on 2,158 Posts

[img]file:///C:/Users/guttr/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/guttr/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by dave_2012_tt View Post
Interesting point - I thought about the mag ride update and since the reports of rims breaking I was surprised GM does not make it free. Since the mag update is on all 2019 corvettes it would be nice to have a separate count of 19 GS and z06 having the issues.
You don't have to believe him BUT the Corvette Chief Engineer (Tadge Juechter) said in a post on the "wheel subject" driving in Track or Sport (and therefore the MRC upgrade- not an update) has NOTHING to do with wheel cracks! So even if free is not solving the Grand Sport/Z06 "wheel issue." (BTW the MRC upgrade was NOT correcting a problem it is an "optional" improvement for some folks. Yep some 2019 wheels still cracking and bending!)

Also the Grand Sport wheels are not cast (see my post # 169) they are "flow forged," (same as rotary forged.). As I note in that post they may be a strong as forged wheels BUT are they more brittle? Sounds like Stew24 may have a crack that opened up- or a leaky valve!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-05-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM
KC - Grand Sport

Yeah, the dealership is telling me 3 to 6 weeks. Have to wait 4 to 5 weeks for my new Forgelines too so having my car sit at the dealership isn't hurting me any more other than not having the comfort of knowing it was sitting save in my garage versus sitting out at the dealership (covered anyway)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:20 PM
89L98
CF Senior Member

Received 174 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah, the dealership is telling me 3 to 6 weeks. Have to wait 4 to 5 weeks for my new Forgelines too so having my car sit at the dealership isn't hurting me any more other than not having the comfort of knowing it was sitting save in my garage versus sitting out at the dealership (covered anyway)
If my car was sitting at the dealership for 3 to 6 weeks I would be crapping bricks. But, I guess, that's just me.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM
trumanjd1
CF Senior Member

Same here..my 2019 GS has 4 bent wheels and sitting in dealer garage...I have wheel / tire insurance...authorized $2800 payment for new OEM wheels...dealer cant find any...there are none in system to be found...I requested they purchase 4 OEM wheels from House of Wheels to get me on road , and they wont ..they will not pay for them!..so,until my Forgeline$ come ...about 5 weeks from now hopefully...meanwhile..insurance and car pymt must be made..but more importantly ... I can't drive it!!! REALLY SUCKS ...AND THERE'S NOT MUCH I CAN DO ABOUT IT! I call dealer everyday .. service adviser...parts mgr and new car sales mgr who sold me vehicle.. Chevrolet Quality senior case mgr has called me twice..telling me how sorry he is...but cannot help in getting wheels to dealer...only track progress going thru ordered parts system...I even sent a private message to Marry Barra Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at General Motors thru LinkedIn, as crazy as it seems..and...as expected no response .

Last edited by trumanjd1; 06-05-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 AM
KC - Grand Sport

Wheels are in and I get my car back tomorrow!!! Only took little over 1 week.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 AM
R1crusher

After having a 3rd inspection done on my car the wheel/tire warranty company has finally agreed to replace the last 2 bent wheels. One front and one rear. Had one straightened by the 2nd inspecting company.

The warranty company said they have a supplier somewhere and said it would take 4 days to ship them to my dealer. Car is going in on the 18th for the bumper paint cracking/peeling issue so they can swap out the wheels then for me.

Then I have pay out of pocket...again....to have everything ceramic coated again. Was thinking of maybe trying to make an ins claim to help pay for that stuff since no one feels responsible enough to do what's right.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 AM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,142 Likes on 746 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Sorry but I'm waiting for the rear engine, air cooled, AWD C9!
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (06-13-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bent/Cracked Wheels Reporting to NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Adm

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: