C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are delivery tires any different from over the counter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Are delivery tires any different from over the counter tires?

Is the tread depth (and everything else) the same on the MPSS that come on the car as OEM equipment versus what I'd get when I buy a new set at Tire Depot or whatever?

I've heard lots of older guys complain that the tires delivered on cars have shallow treads so you have to buy new tires sooner. Any truth to it? If not, was it ever true in the olden days?

Popular Reply

12-22-2018, 10:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Is the tread depth (and everything else) the same on the MPSS that come on the car as OEM equipment versus what I'd get when I buy a new set at Tire Depot or whatever?

I've heard lots of older guys complain that the tires delivered on cars have shallow treads so you have to buy new tires sooner. Any truth to it? If not, was it ever true in the olden days?
OEM tires are identical to what is in whatever warehouse I buy them, from my observation.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The OEM TPS tires actually meet the engineering specifications. A shallower tread depth would be more for meeting a certain criteria than to cause owners to buy tires. Owners are free to buy whatever they want. TPC (Tire Performance Criteria) XXXX are available through dealer's "On a Roll" they can be more expensive than generic versions of same tires
Old 12-21-2018, 07:41 PM
vett2go
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the vett, but this is absolutely true. When I replaced my tires on my Cruze Tire Rack had two of the same tire. OEM, less tread and regular. Go figure they were the same price, duh I think I will order OEM, not.
The following users liked this post:
davepl (12-21-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:31 AM
boofus1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Historically the OEM tires on many cars did not have a tread wear warranty. I believe this is because the the OEM's beat down the tire manufacturers on price so much that they couldn't afford to warrant them. I think this is starting to change.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Initially the tires were warrantied by the tire manufacturers. I think it was more about the tire warranty claim procedure. The tire manufacturers may not have wanted dealers replacing good tires because someone complained. On GM's part the " Bumper to Bumper" and dealers not warrantying the was becoming an issue. The Hunter road force balancer became mandatory equipment; it could analyze tire for defects. The results would confirm defects. Defective tires would be returned to manufacturers if requested. GM studies concluded service customers would service their vehicles where they bought tires. GM moved their dealers into the tire business, with the intent of increasing customer retention. Dealers started handling the tire warranty, that was over ten years ago.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

OEM tires are identical to what is in whatever warehouse I buy them, from my observation.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-22-2018 at 10:12 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by JerryU:
4thC4at60 (12-26-2018), Avanti (12-26-2018), beaversstonehaven (12-22-2018), Corgidog1 (12-23-2018), Malum1 (12-26-2018), owc6 (12-26-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-22-2018, 10:13 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Well, we've got "certainly yes" and "absolutely not", so now we need someone to figure it out authoritatively! "Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong", as the song goes.

Last edited by davepl; 12-22-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:20 AM
JHundertmark
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Years ago the tires shipped to the OEM were closer to the nominal spec than the same basic tire sold in the aftermarket. In essence, unless you went a couple of rungs up the food chain, you were not gaining anything by replacing the OEM tires prior to wear out. Or unless you wanted tires with different parameters than the OEM (All season or winter vs the OEM summer tires in our case). That being said, there are now 8 posts in this thread so there are probably 9 opinions.

Best wishes & a good holiday season to all.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Wow, they weren’t kidding about the “anything repeated on the interweb” troupe.

*I* worked in the tire manufacturing industry, albeit VERY briefly (less than a year). Just throwing that out there, in case anyone wants to question my “authority.”

And to be honest, I worked in marketing, so anything I say, take with a grain of salt. You can never believe them marketing guys anyway.

Automotive manufactures don’t make tires. Rubber companies do. I know, shocking ain’t it? So car makers are in no position to say, buy a million tires and SHAVE them down so you’re forced to need to buy new tires sooner.

What they ARE in position of doing, is ask tire manufacturers to make tires specific to their needs using either a different compound formulation, tread design, sidewalk construction, or a variety of other specs to meet their vehicle needs. Especially if you’re ordering millions of tires at a time. So occasionally you’ll see “OE” spec tires, like BMW specific tires from Continental with a “star” stamped on the sidewall, or “N” spec tires from Michelin for Porsche. Or the ZP Cup 2 or PSS tires specifically made in Corvette sizes.

However tire manufactures can’t possibly keep both the “OE” spec tires and the tires they manufacture and sell to the public the same part numbers and sell them as same tires, because the manufacturing and logistic nightmare it would present. Imagine Michelin’s distribution center asking a new batch of 285/30/R19 Cup 2s if they’re going to Tire Rack or Bowling Green every day, or the confusion at the auto manufacturing plant if the tires they received are for the cars or they’re aftermarket.

So these tires are clearly marked and have different part numbers, but same brand/make/model name. But the auto manufacturers can specify a softer compound, stiffer sidewall, or *gasp* shallower tread depth for performance reasons (less tread depth on summer tires leads to better handling characteristics, for example).

But you won’t get a generic ContiExtraSportyContact tire that’s installed on, say, a Malibu, and what’s sold from Tire Rack/Discount Tires/Tire Zone/whatever, to be different. They’re identical.

So you say, “um Hack, I HAVE a Chevy Malibu Classic Ltd Special Edition and the OE tire DEFINITELY did not last as long as my second set of the same ContiExtraSportyComfortContacts I got from Tires R Us.” And there’s a good reason for that.

Tires are consumables, and they are subject to deterioration the second they roll off the shelves. Imagine the car plants ordering the tires to arrive JIT for your Malibu Classic LTD Special Ed to roll off the plant. Those tires likely have been sitting at Continental’s plant for 3-6 month. Then the Malibu’s built in Mexico City, 3 months in transport hell, gets to your local dealership, then sits under the sun for another 6 months (don’t tell me you special ordered your Malibu?!) before it caught your eyes, after it’s been test driven like the village bicycle during that 6 months sitting on a lot.

That means it’s been subjected to HUNDREDS of heat cycles from sitting under the sun, maybe 30 days of freezing temps, and half a dozen test drives when the sales drone tells the customer to “floor it! See what this 4 cylinder beast can do!” Actually the test drives don’t do anything to the tires, but the extended heat and cold cycles do something to the tires. The molecular bonds in the tires (silica, rubber, graphite compounds etc) bond, release, rebond repeatedly over time and dramatically shortens the life of the tire.

Then when you wore through the tire that came with the car in 18 months (when it’s been out of the tire manufacturer’s warehouse for nearly 3 years, subjected to nearly a thousand heat and cold cycles) and bought a second set of ContiExtraSportyComfortContact from your local tire store, because it’s such a popular tire it’s constantly in supply-chain from Continental, so you get a set that’s maybe only 3-4 months from inception, and stored in climate controlled warehouses all this time. And shockingly these aftermarket tires lasted you 3.5 years instead of your OE tires on the Malibu Classic LTD Special edition only lasting 2?!

Its gotta be because the OE Tires have the treads shaved off from the factory, right?
The following 4 users liked this post by The HACK:
AORoads (12-23-2018), Avanti (12-26-2018), mdb917 (12-22-2018), SRQStingray (12-26-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 11:24 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JHundertmark
Years ago the tires shipped to the OEM were closer to the nominal spec than the same basic tire sold in the aftermarket. In essence, unless you went a couple of rungs up the food chain, you were not gaining anything by replacing the OEM tires prior to wear out. Or unless you wanted tires with different parameters than the OEM (All season or winter vs the OEM summer tires in our case). That being said, there are now 8 posts in this thread so there are probably 9 opinions.

Best wishes & a good holiday season to all.
Not going to get a Michelin rep to post on this Thread so you are 100% sure it’s the truth! Probably would not believe one if they did! However my first new car in 1967 had Uniroyal “Tiger Paws.” Terrible tire no doubt spec’d by GM for low cost! Went through Pirelli, that were great in the rain to plus-1 14 inch Continental 714’s on wider wheels. They were great in wet and dry. So good when I bought a new 260Z had them installed on it on custom wheels. The OEM 260 Z tires were cheap as well. When the Continental tires wore out bought Michelin XWXs.

My next new car was a 1984 Dodge Colt Turbo (during the Carter years when I could not go from CT to LaGuardia and back on a full tank in my modified CJ-5 and we could only buy gas every other day!). Bought Plus 1 wheels and Pirelli P7s. Great tire in the warmer weather.

Yep, even my 1st Vette an 1988 had inferior tires to what I bought when I wore the first set out at ~10,000 miles. BUT, IMO, (opinion is all you'll get from posters,) the C7 Michelin are the best performance tire I have ever had on a new car and assuming you don’t need all-season tires the best you can buy. Here is some evidence the OEM tread is the same as I can buy from whoever. I paid Discount Tire for tire insurance and they measured the tread depth even though the Grand Sport only had 400 miles. It matched the OEM spec. Folks are also quoting over 20,000 mile tire life- by far better than I have gotten on my prior 3 Vettes until my 2014 C7.

That said, Michelin took the Vette buisnees from Goodyear, who had it for years. With the same width tire as on my C6 Z51 my 2014 Z51 achieved significantly higher max lateral “g” force. Yep, the stiffer chassis is a factor but GM tested all tires and doubt the Michelin were not the clear winner as GM stated they were.

For the high priced C7 tires doubt GM would accept an inferior OEM tire than Michelin sells over the counter for a few more dollars profit.

Might shave some cost from the interior as they did with the superior 3LT Kalahari (and other colors) I had in my 3LT 2014 to the current “patch work quilt” 3LT they have now - BUT not tires, IMO.

PS: I don't by that Michelin has another set of molds to made OEM wires with a few thousands less tread. I missed the tour our ASME Section had to Michelin in SC where they make the Vette tire, but looks like we'll be touring the new Continental tire plant in Sumpter SC where they make the low profile run flats on my wife's BMW. I'll ask the engineers who usually conduct our tours!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-22-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Actually GM dealers are required to use "TPC" for warranty repairs. It can lead to delays because TPC tire is not available and has to be ordered and standard replacement is in the rack. Cert pre-owned are not required to have TPC tires. TPC with a 4 digit number is cast into sidewall. What the dealer can /will stock is dependent on warehouse space. The " Good, Better, Best" practice is encouraged Some dealers may stock hundreds of tires with local GM authorized warehouses for daily replenishment. Firestone the most notable for building tires to meet a manufacturers spec and have go badly.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:45 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Who to believe?
Old 12-22-2018, 01:44 PM
boofus1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My '08 Camry came with Michelin OEM tires. After 37K miles they were bald. I called Michelin & asked for an adjustment thinking they should have lasted till at least 50K miles. The customer service rep stated that they didn't warranty OEM tires. Plain & simple. I worked at Bridgestone for several years and know that on many of their OEM tires the same was true. I believe that the OEM's are now pressuring the tire manufacturers to warrant the tires. The manufacturers are countering by asking for a higher price for the OEM tires.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:40 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

This was discussed a few months ago, GM does indeed have specifications for the OEM tires and there is a letter-number code on the sidewall that identifies it.

On the C7 Z51 (and probably base, since they now have the same tires) the code on our front tires is "tPc spec 1431" and the rears are tPc spec 1432"
Not sure what the codes would be for other C7 models.

If you want to get new tires that match the originals on your car, write down the spec from your sidewalls and be sure replacements are marked the same.
There was discussion on whether set of Michelins, proper model number but no tPc, would be better or worse. The discussion led me to believe that at least on a C7, I want the tPc spec for replacements. They and the suspension are designed to work with each other. If I only wanted something like higher MPG or longer tire life, that would be different.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

I measured tread depth on a brand new car once at 8/32" for a tire that is supposed to be 9.5/32" when new.

Has anyone ever measured and compared to a new tire from warehouse?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:28 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^

Yep, as I said, when I bought tire insurance for my Grand Sport with <200 miles from Discount Tire the manager measured and recorded the tread depth on his sheet. I looked at the numbers and they were exactly as it stated for a new tire. Just checked my Warranty Certificate to see if they were recorded, but the measurements don't show.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-23-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:23 AM
markeaux
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

To hopefully add some clarification (and as already alluded to above), during my 4 DSA (torque tube) replacements as noted in other thread(s) I talked with the GM Corvette Brand Quality Engineering Manager many times. In one convo he stated the oem tires on my 2019 Z51 were delivered with a reduced depth tread (over non-Vette retail versions of the same tire) for better performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Are delivery tires any different from over the counter tires?

Old 12-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by markeaux
To hopefully add some clarification (and as already alluded to above), during my 4 DSA (torque tube) replacements as noted in other thread(s) I talked with the GM Corvette Brand Quality Engineering Manager many times. In one convo he stated the oem tires on my 2019 Z51 were delivered with a reduced depth tread (over non-Vette retail versions of the same tire) for better performance.
Not to get too snarky, but just because a GM person like that tells you, doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

We need someone to carefully measure the tires on a new Z51 and then on a set of same tires from Tire Rack. Luke at Tire Rack said the C7 tires they sell are identical to the factory, which kinda makes sense because the Corvette sizes don't fit much else.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:59 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I have no idea. I can say this, though, I got a bit more than 30K miles out of the tires that came on the car. Ditto for the second set. I'm on set #3 and at about 10K miles... look to me as if these tires will deliver the same 30K-35K......
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

"How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" How about a little empiricism... If tread-depth is the issue, someone just measure the tread-depth of each tire when new, OEM and aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Are delivery tires any different from over the counter tires?