Sponsored by:

Service adviser is blaming brake dust for my brakes squealing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Service adviser is blaming brake dust for my brakes squealing

So first problem on my Certified Pre-Owned Vette. Brake are squealing after driving for 5 minutes. It only happens when I apply the break at lower speed. I was talking to the adviser and he was trying to tell me it was a normal condition What a bunch of baloney. The worst is the early appointment at the dealer is January 5th. So now I have to live with squealing break for almost 2 weeks. This dealership has allegedly 3 master technician and are hosting the local vette club. I was confident that I was buying from a dealership that understood and know how to service corvette. Hopefully it's just the adviser on the phone that is a idiot and the technician actually knows what he is doing.

On other note, I found out that the car has 36% oil life when I got it. I would have expected the oi life would be at 100% when you buy a CPO. Fresh oil and a new filter would be the least I would expect by a certified vehicle. I will have to talk to the sales manager and get myself a free oil change.

Last edited by Fogboundturtle; 12-21-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:18 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

If it's doing it under light braking conditions, have you tried the old "get up to 45, brake hard to 10 and repeat a few times without actually stopping" bit?
The following users liked this post:
jonparks (12-22-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Originally Posted by KenHorse
If it's doing it under light braking conditions, have you tried the old "get up to 45, brake hard to 10 and repeat a few times without actually stopping" bit?
I haven't but I can try tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Brakes.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Brakes.
Them's the?
Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Don't expect good technical information from a service advisor. Think of them as a waiter/waitress at a restaurant. You tell them what you want, and hopefully you get it. Regardless of whether you do or don't, they just take your order.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:25 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
So first problem on my Certified Pre-Owned Vette. Break are squealing after driving for 5 minutes. It only happens when I apply the break at lower speed. I was talking to the adviser and he was trying to tell me it was a normal condition What a bunch of baloney. The worst is the early appointment at the dealer is January 5th. So now I have to live with squealing break for almost 2 weeks. This dealership has allegedly 3 master technician and are hosting the local vette club. I was confident that I was buying from a dealership that understood and know how to service corvette. Hopefully it's just the adviser on the phone that is a idiot and the technician actually knows what he is doing.

On other note, I found out that the car has 36% oil life when I got it. I would have expected the oi life would be at 100% when you buy a CPO. Fresh oil and a new filter would be the least I would expect by a certified vehicle. I will have to talk to the sales manager and get myself a free oil change.
You have a misconception what a Certified Pre Owned (CPO) vehicle really is. Watch this YouTube video from this lawyer that has worked in the field of consumer law for 20+ years. He knows his stuff and you'll learn a lot about this topic watching it. You will be surprised to learn what CPO really is.

Last edited by MMD; 12-21-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Fogboundturtle (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

CPO... simply more marketing hype.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

CPO = Callously Projecting Optimism

Last edited by KenHorse; 12-21-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Don't expect good technical information from a service advisor. Think of them as a waiter/waitress at a restaurant. You tell them what you want, and hopefully you get it. Regardless of whether you do or don't, they just take your order.
I'll see if I can talk to the Master Technician when I go there.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:54 PM
dyoung
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 236 Posts

Ask for a copy of the report that shows the vehicles service and warranty history.

It will show where and when the car was sold originally.

You should have done this before you bought the car. Possibly the oil was changed but they forgot to reset the monitor.

Try the bedding process mentioned by KenHorse.

Preston was a good dealer but it may be part of a conglomerate now and no longer belongs to the Preston family.

Oh, and stop bragging about being able to drive all year long here or more people will be moving in.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:56 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Originally Posted by dyoung
Ask for a copy of the report that shows the vehicles service and warranty history.

It will show where and when the car was sold originally.

You should have done this before you bought the car. Possibly the oil was changed but they forgot to reset the monitor.

Try the bedding process mentioned by KenHorse.

Preston was a good dealer but it may be part of a conglomerate now and no longer belongs to the Preston family.

Oh, and stop bragging about being able to drive all year long here or more people will be moving in.
It was originally sold by Preston GM. I looked at the CarFax report before buying. If anyone can afford any of the houses around here, they can move in if they want....
Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I'll see if I can talk to the Master Technician when I go there.
You can certainly try to do that. Just keep in mind that many of these guys prefer to be left alone, and are not particularly social.
Not all, but many are, which is why they gravitate towards working with mechanical things instead of working with people.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Heavy Vetting
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I own a C5. At the end of last summer, I noticed what sounded like low speed break squealing from the driver's side rear. When I put it up for the winter, my mechanic takes care of maintenance and any issues. He only works on Corvettes and knows his stuff. I pointed out the break squealing and he said he would look into it. He called me back and said all four brakes check out just fine and suggested that it might have been brake dust. Maybe he just did the "get up to 45, brake hard to 10 and repeat a few times without actually stopping" bit on my car. Who knows.

He would have gladly offered to do the work to address any problem he found, but he didn't. Guess I'll know for sure in about four months.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:12 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

I haven't but I can try tomorrow.
If you do, keep driving for 5 minutes or so without applying the brakes to let 'em cool down and the compound to properly set.

(a back road is the perfect place for this procedure)
Old 12-21-2018, 09:22 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

So first problem on my Certified Pre-Owned Vette. Brake are squealing after driving for 5 minutes. It only happens when I apply the break at lower speed. I was talking to the adviser and he was trying to tell me it was a normal condition What a bunch of baloney. The worst is the early appointment at the dealer is January 5th. So now I have to live with squealing break for almost 2 weeks. This dealership has allegedly 3 master technician and are hosting the local vette club. I was confident that I was buying from a dealership that understood and know how to service corvette. Hopefully it's just the adviser on the phone that is a idiot and the technician actually knows what he is doing.

Here is what the 2019 Corvette Owner's manual says about brakes, brake wear, replacement, etc. Brake noise can be normal in certain circumstances.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:24 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

^^^^ Good info there MMD … Pretty much says it all.
MMD (12-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Service adviser is blaming brake dust for my brakes squealing

Old 12-22-2018, 06:45 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It was originally sold by Preston GM. I looked at the CarFax report before buying. If anyone can afford any of the houses around here, they can move in if they want....
I was thinking the same thing re "affordability"....
Old 12-22-2018, 07:25 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
^^^^ Good info there MMD … Pretty much says it all.
.....especially the section on ceramic rotors. Weighing them rather than measuring their thickness for wear when changing pads.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

I had performance break before and I never had them squeals ever. I just found it strange that I get the squealing at low speed only after I driven the car for x amount of time. I am 10km away from the office. I get a little bit of traffic. By the time I get home, I will start squealing a little bit. Once the break cool down, they are perfectly fine. I am not a mechanic but that doesn't sound right.

Quick Reply: Service adviser is blaming brake dust for my brakes squealing