Sponsored by:

How much did this moron cost me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:14 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot

I think there is some strong evidence that quarter panel is fiberglass.
You think so huh? read...

http://www.fakercorvette.com/new-to-corvettes/

sheet-molded composite, or SMC, which was composed of fiberglass, resin and a catalyst formed under high heat and pressure.

All Corvettes since 1973 have used SMC body panels, but the material composition has changed dramatically, featuring less traditional fiberglass and more lightweight plastic. The early SMC material created parts that were stronger and more rigid, but more brittle. As SMC technology and production experience evolved, Corvette engineers were able to alter the material composition and the body parts’ specifications to trim the Corvette’s curb weight. Mostly, that happened through making thinner body panels, because SMC was denser and stronger than conventional fiberglass.

Last edited by MMD; 12-23-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:23 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
That's as simple as having a pic of the damage to go with the car when you sell it....especially for something minor like this.

OP....personally, I'd take it to get an independent repair estimate from a body shop you like/trust. This will give you an idea of the cost, in the end. Tell them the deductible scenario. If they feel they can make the numbers jive, then I'd turn it in, and send them the job. This gives you the info up front.

Personally, having been in the business for a long time, I'd turn it in for sure. You have wheel damage, lens damage, two panels, that have crash structure behind one, and adjacent panels that may need color blended. That estimate could easily push up into 3-5k, depending on the cost and severity to the wheel. The body shop could then fix the panels and you could live with the wheel, to absorb the deductible cost.

You can definitely come out good. Just gotta know how to talk to the insurance company, but only contact them after you go to a trusted/reputable shop that can work with you and get that info first. Lastly, keep these pics when you sell the car, to explain away the carfax.
You offer the best advice. I know this may not help now, but the difference in rates for me between a 1K and $100 deduct for comp and collision is only $60 per year. I have used it on a windshield replacement and a wheel replacement and my rates remained the same.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
this is why I don't have a big deductible....people always say I have a big deductible so my insurance is less then when it comes time to use it they don't wanna make a claim because the damage is less than or close to the deductible

so now you paid all that money to have lower rates and end up paying more in the end anyway...
Depends on what your premiums are? Wait'll it hits Carfax.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:31 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
this is why I don't have a big deductible....people always say I have a big deductible so my insurance is less then when it comes time to use it they don't wanna make a claim because the damage is less than or close to the deductible

so now you paid all that money to have lower rates and end up paying more in the end anyway...
The point of insurance is to pay costs that you can't (or don't wish to) assume yourself. Everybody's tolerance for this and financial situation varies. Got more resources, you're probably going to be happier with a higher deductible. Got fewer resources, you may wish a lower deductible (and also a cheaper car). It's all your choice, which is why I hate those TV commercials with dumb people complaining that their insurance company won't pay the full cost of replacing their cars (which they have stupidly named). Of course the insurance company in the commercial will pay more toward that replacement car; they have charged a higher premium up front to cover that possibility.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:40 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

My C6 had similar hit and run damage. I opted for a new quarter vs repair and had to replace one wheel. I didn’t have bumper cover damage but did have rocker damage. Total cost was 3,200 and they did an awesome job blending the paint.

It did hit Carfax as damage not an accident. I was getting ready to sell before it happened and got a Carmax quote. After repair I went back to Carmax disclosed the damage which did show up and their quote did not change at all. I sold it to them.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:06 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Depends on what your premiums are? Wait'll it hits Carfax.
First, it most likely WON’T hit CarFax from an insurance claim, it will hit IF a shop reports it no matter who pays the shop. Second, why are people so worried about it for a depreciating car? It’s not an investment, it’s a depreciating asset and will keep depreciating for many years. All the worry here about reduced value for an already-depreciating asset is funny - and misplaced.

The following users liked this post:
dvilin (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 07:16 PM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Why worry about Carfax

Many of you on this forum are worried about Carfax. Why? In recent years I have had similar issues with my SUV and my C7. I obtained estimates from several different
repair shops. At each and every shop I asked as to whether they reported to Carfax, Most said they do not and the few that did said they would not report at my request.
The same thing applies to your insurance company. As to a police report and DMV that is another matter. News flash people---just ask--problem solved! Car fax can be easily circumvented.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nobull:
Malum1 (12-24-2018), Maxie2U (12-23-2018), Steve_R (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 07:38 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I’ll never understand why people pay for insurance and then are afraid to use it.
Insurance companies will drop you if you make too many claims. It happens on cars all the time. A bit more rare is the dropping of homeowners insurance after nature-made damages. Quick example of USAA sending out non-renewals recently.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:09 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry to see the damage to your car and too bad no one saw the idiot that hit your car. Best of luck getting it repaired.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:07 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
You Googled after post 36..Your such a Phony.You didn't even know what the hell the panel actually was till post 36. Your post 25,Ripping his opinion apart.Trolling,trolling.
Now your getting all smart with the OP..
RELAX,It's Christmas.Help each other out.That is what this forum is about..So argumentative......

The following users liked this post:
dvilin (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 07:10 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Like others said, easy fix. But dayum!! I would be pissed.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Chuck Mahnke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 244 Likes on 94 Posts

My experience with CARFAX and Autocheck has been horrible. A woman backed into my C6 while it was in a parking lot and damaged the front bumper. The blasted cops immediately reported it to both services as a front end collision. It was listed on both services on the day of the incident, before an insurance claim was made or the body shop even saw the car. The only way they were notified was by the cops! I had the bumper replaced with an OEM and the paint match was perfect. A year later I got trade in quotes from several dealers and because the car was listed as being in a collision I was hit with a diminished value of between $4K and $6K. I lucked out at the time and found an understanding private buyer. Unfortunately it seems that most Corvette buyers have the feeling that a CARFAX listing is a kiss of death for the car.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:54 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Mahnke
My experience with CARFAX and Autocheck has been horrible. A woman backed into my C6 while it was in a parking lot and damaged the front bumper.
I was hit with a diminished value of between $4K and $6K. ...
Exactly the point some of us have been making in this thread. Your insurance claim must consider 'diminished value', or you will lose money come sell day.

If the damage is minor, the best thing to do is take a TON of good pics of the damage and the repair process (if possible). That would be your little 'carfax' to give to the next owner to ease his mind. But you would need to sell privately (not hard to do with well-maintained Corvettes). If you do trade to a dealer, your pics won't matter much, especially if it goes to auction. The dealer will rape you with the Carfax report.

Last edited by LarryFL; 12-24-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by village idiot

unfortunately the rear bumper definitely needs repainting. The quarter is what I’m concerned about.
The quarter needs to be repaired and painted. Fortunately it can be painted and blended out onto itself. That meaning no need to blend and clear onto the door or hatch. Same with the rear cover. Paint and blend onto itself. They both would of course be cleared completely. A nice thing with these cars is both of these panels can be removed from the car easily making painting and clearing easier and nicer.

Last edited by Glennm27; 12-24-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:28 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

First, it most likely WON’T hit CarFax from an insurance claim, it will hit IF a shop reports it no matter who pays the shop. Second, why are people so worried about it for a depreciating car? It’s not an investment, it’s a depreciating asset and will keep depreciating for many years. All the worry here about reduced value for an already-depreciating asset is funny - and misplaced.

Because if you trade your car, your salesperson is going to offer you less. My coworker's wife was mildly bumped from behind in her overpriced Mercedes SUV. Only the bumper cover needed replacement. It was repaired and when trade in time came the dealer was - surprisingly - honest. He said everybody asks for cars with clean CarFaxes and her car had disclosed damage. If you are selling privately you might be able to use the photos as evidence the damage was superficial but most don't want to bother with that anymore. Bottom line - a claim hurts you period.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I’ll never understand why people pay for insurance and then are afraid to use it.
It's because it sometimes doesn't make sense financially to use it. If it's a $2000 repair, and you end up paying a $500 or $1000 deductible, and then on top of that your rates go up enough that you end up paying more than that in higher rates for a few years, then it makes more sense to just pay it all out of pocket.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:59 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
Because if you trade your car, your salesperson is going to offer you less. My coworker's wife was mildly bumped from behind in her overpriced Mercedes SUV. Only the bumper cover needed replacement. It was repaired and when trade in time came the dealer was - surprisingly - honest. He said everybody asks for cars with clean CarFaxes and her car had disclosed damage. If you are selling privately you might be able to use the photos as evidence the damage was superficial but most don't want to bother with that anymore. Bottom line - a claim hurts you period.
When I look at cars I usually look at the carfax, but many cars in my area on the market are flagged with "minor damage" repair on the carfax. In those cases who cares It's a metropolitan area people get parkinglot scars. A minor damage report at least shows the owner cared enough to fix things on their car.

Unless it is flagged with collision air bags deployed or major collision or salvage repair I don't worry too much on the purchase

Get notified of new replies

To How much did this moron cost me?

Old 12-24-2018, 11:14 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Insurance companies will drop you if you make too many claims. It happens on cars all the time. A bit more rare is the dropping of homeowners insurance after nature-made damages. Quick example of USAA sending out non-renewals recently.
Many years ago when I lived in New York, State Farm dropped me after several claims. All damage sustained when car was parked and no one was in it.

And then I recently read about the huge (billions) deficits inflicted by companies that sell flood insurance. A bit of lunacy here...an owner of a house valued at 42k, has amassed 19 claims over the years totaling 900-thousand dollars!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:59 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
CarFax
I certainly didn't buy my Corvette to sell it.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:59 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

To the OP: Take it to a body shop or two and get estimates. Thats the only way you'll really know, and will allow you a much better decicion making point than internet guesses.

I used mine on an $1100 dent with a $500 deductible on my then new 2012 Mustang. The increased rate ended up costing me more than that $600 difference.

Originally Posted by Silver C7
Many years ago when I lived in New York, State Farm dropped me after several claims. All damage sustained when car was parked and no one was in it.
+1 WRT State Farm. In addition to that dent, a few months later someone vandalized it to the tune of $9k in damage, and then I put it in the ditch on an icy road, and they dropped me. Took a lot of lessons out of how to deal with insurance out of that car.

Last edited by jefnvk; 12-24-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: How much did this moron cost me?