C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can somebody explain to me the “yokel challenge”?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
ok gotcha so 18% more in options. We know pickups like Raptors can run a lot more.
this particular one in the OP was a several years old POS but it’s good to know if I’m ever in the market.
Yes, I agree trucks have really jumped up in price. I looked at many including Raptors, Rams etc however since the gold Tocama in the above photo has served me well for 23 years with a trouble free 412,000 miles, purchasing a another Tacoma was pretty much a given.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

So, so many pontificate about their street racing well in excess of speed limits, but won't race when challenged by a bitty pick up. Great story!
Old 12-23-2018, 01:14 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I had the opposite happen me a few years back on Woodward Ave, a divided 8 lane road well know for street racing in the Detroit area. I come up to a red light and already waiting in the next lane over is a new/newer Lambo with 2 middle age guys. I'm in my small block 67 convertible and this guy starts revving his engine and when the light turns green, he is off full bore. Well, the lights are timed for 45 mph and this happened for 2 lights, so I pull along side him again at the 3rd light and the passenger has got this big **** eaten grin going and then I asked him if they restored the car themselves. The engine revving and grins stopped immediately and they turned off at the next opportunity.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I would of revved her up at the lite and then when the lite turned I would have given the car very little acceleration and let those yokels win and then brag about how they beat a vette
Old 12-23-2018, 02:50 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Most of the time those challenges are more of a verbal thumbs up when they have a car you will positively destroy. Sure I have had real challenges but most are just game playing. I normally get a what the ***** look immediately followed by a big grin and laughter when I answer a "challenge' with yeah OK I will race you but I want a 3 car lead as I have no chance against your car in a even start!
Old 12-23-2018, 03:12 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Does a C7Z actually go the speed limit? I didn't think the owners could even see the gauges past their cataracts?
Not to mention the reaction times of the old farts driving a C7Z is not like it used to be, sixty or seventy years ago when they were in their twenties... The whole reason for a minimum speed on the interstate system is for Corvette owners.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:49 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Good grief...you need this explained to you?
The following users liked this post:
Gnarley Z51 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:49 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
So, so many pontificate about their street racing well in excess of speed limits, but won't race when challenged by a bitty pick up. Great story!
These are the same fools that spew about not changing their oil for 15-25,000 miles! Now thats funny and

Last edited by Vet Interested; 12-23-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:57 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

I find most of them from the looks of it have an IQ of plant life. I just ignore them.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:20 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I would of revved her up at the lite and then when the lite turned I would have given the car very little acceleration and let those yokels win and then brag about how they beat a vette
"He may have been racing me, officer, but I wasn't racing him."

It's always important to be able to say this truthfully.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Groovepusher Sly
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I tell 'em to meet me at "Route 66" on test and tune night and we can race for real. Never seen one show up.

Sly

P.S. That's if I even acknowledge them.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:43 PM
V1lla1nous
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Each time I have that Nissan Sentra beside me at the stop light doing his best fast and the furious impersonation, I'm reminded of this picture. "Sometimes proving you're the best is insulting"

Old 12-24-2018, 12:42 AM
CubPilot
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, this was not a challenge to race, It was just kind of funny.

I'm in traffic in the left hand lane approaching a stop light. There is a Miata in the right lane, first in line, stopped at the red light.
I pulled up next to him in the left lane, gave him a thumbs up (I don't discriminate, any sports car gets a thumbs up from me), He gave me a thumbs up.
The light changes to green and I hear off to my right tires squealing, well it was more liker a chirp. That was the Miata taking off and giving it the beans!
ME?
Old 12-24-2018, 01:33 AM
ScottMA64
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by V1lla1nous

Each time I have that Nissan Sentra beside me at the stop light doing his best fast and the furious impersonation, I'm reminded of this picture. "Sometimes proving you're the best is insulting"

LOL I love that picture!! Cheetah is also thinking, hmmmm, white meat or dark?

Old 12-25-2018, 01:08 AM
Gnarley Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just Smile
Old 12-25-2018, 07:41 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by V1lla1nous

Hahaha. Totally.

I had a guy pull up next to me in an SUV that had to be about 7-8 years old. He revved the engine a few times to get my attention and as soon as I looked, he started laughing. Some people just want to have fun with you. Don't let it bother you. You have a race car and when people see it, they are thinking racing.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:16 PM
FormerBiker
Race Director

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Published on Apr 17, 2011
written by Jan Berry and Roger Christian. 1963. LYRICS:

I was cruisin' in my Stingray late one night

When an XKE pulled up on the right

And rolled down the window of his shiny new Jag

And challenged me then and there to a drag

I said, "You're on, buddy, my mill's runnin' fine

Let's come off the line now, at Sunset and Vine

But I'll throw you one better if you've got the nerve

Let's race all the way

To Dead Man's Curve"

Dead Man's Curve, it's no place to play

Dead Man's Curve, you best keep away

Dead Man's Curve, I can hear 'em say

Won't come back from Dead Man's Curve

The street was deserted late Friday night

We were buggin' each other while we sat out the light

We both popped the clutch when the light turned green

You should of heard the whine from my screamin' machine

I flew past LaBrea, Schwab's, and Crescent Heights

And all the Jag could see were my six tail lights

He passed me at Doheny then I started to swerve

But I pulled her out and there we were

At Dead Man's Curve

Dead Man's Curve

Well, the last thing I remember, Doc, I started to swerve

And then I saw the Jag slide into the curve

I know I'll never forget that horrible sight

I guess I found out for myself that everyone was right

Dead Man's Curve, you best keep away

Dead Man's Curve, I can hear 'em say

Get notified of new replies

To Can somebody explain to me the “yokel challenge”?!

Old 12-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

No challenges yet. Texas also made street racing a felony offense several years back, so it really isn't worth it. So far I've only had an SUV & a diesel truck fly past me to show me how fast they were. I figured if they wanted a ticket that bad then who was I to stop them from earning one & I just watched them go. Besides, I have a slow M7 Z07 so I think a lot of cars could get the jump on me from the line.

I spent the last 2 years of high school illegally street racing, we all did back then every single weekend (kids from 3 different high schools in Manassas, VA from summer of '85 - summer '87). We would cruise what was called 'the loop' & head home around 1am or 2am (our local Wendy's McDonald's etc..stayed open until 1am back then). We would get into impromptu drags races most of the time from the stoplights. In between we would be doing stupid stuff like burnouts, donuts, reverse J-turns in parking lots etc...We were very reckless drag racing at 90+ mph at times in 25 mph zones through the old historic portion of Manassas, 110+ mph in a 45 mph zone etc... We got chased around by Manassas PD, racked up a lot of tickets, & made frequent appearances in court. The worst part was since you were under 18 you had to go to court with a parent. So I got that whole street racing thing out of my system back then.

But it was kind of like the old movie American Graffiti. Lots of us had late '60s & early '70s muscle cars during that time (I had a '69 Mustang w/302 C-4 automatic with a mildly built engine) & rest had newer cars or just mom's plain old sedan. Thinking back it was even more crazy driving those kinds of speeds in old muscle cars with sloppy steering, drum brakes etc...But we did it. There was even one rich kid from one of the high schools who had a brand new black Porsche Turbo his dad had bought him for his 17th b-day (he wasn't just driving dad's car). But regardless of your car almost everyone would race. The bad part about having a distinctive muscle car was that the local cops knew all of us just by spotting our cars so it made things easier for them. But it was a lot of fun while it lasted. After I was in college I heard from a friend that by '89 or so Manassas PD started setting up road blocks every weekend since they had gotten so many complaints from the area residents & business owners. The road blocks ended cruising 'the loop' & the illegal street racing.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:10 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

I get these idiots all the time, I like to bait them like Im actually going to race, then watch as they take off like fools while I sit there watching. Next light up I'll just ask them "I know I'll beat you, you know I'll beat you, so why do this on a public road and risk an accident or ticket"? If you want to race, take it to the track.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:43 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
then watch as they take off like fools while I sit there watching
Only way to deal with these *******.

Quick Reply: Can somebody explain to me the “yokel challenge”?!