Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 or 2LT ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 12:08 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

No idea what the wobble is. I test drove a couple of new C7's and quite a few used C7's and experienced nothing like that on any of the cars.

You are going to get a lot of arguments over which model and optioned model car is best but again - test drive, test drive, test drive and not just one car. Take the time to drive as many models in your price range as you can.

Some of the paring down is easy if a Z06 or GS is just not in the budget but I still wouldn't discourage you from test driving one. For me I wanted to drive a Z06 to understand the performance differences even though I knew I was not going to spend the money on one. It's not even whether you will track the car or not as to which model you choose. There are just far too many very personal variables for anyone to say model X, or y, or Z is the perfect Vette for everyone. It's awesome that the car comes in enough different flavors to satisfy most everyone and most every situation. Not ever really perfect but you should be able to come very, very close to getting your perfect version of C7. After driving a bunch of them new and used I can say this. They are all excellent cars.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:22 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Sconn
I've seen a few 3lt who wished they had a 2lt dash
My son has a 3LZ and had to have the dash replaced. He paid extra to have them install the 2LZ dash! Then he had to take it back because of the rattles. They finally fixed those rattles. What a pain in the ***.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:29 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
No idea what the wobble is. I test drove a couple of new C7's and quite a few used C7's and experienced nothing like that on any of the cars.

You are going to get a lot of arguments over which model and optioned model car is best but again - test drive, test drive, test drive and not just one car. Take the time to drive as many models in your price range as you can.

Some of the paring down is easy if a Z06 or GS is just not in the budget but I still wouldn't discourage you from test driving one. For me I wanted to drive a Z06 to understand the performance differences even though I knew I was not going to spend the money on one. It's not even whether you will track the car or not as to which model you choose. There are just far too many very personal variables for anyone to say model X, or y, or Z is the perfect Vette for everyone. It's awesome that the car comes in enough different flavors to satisfy most everyone and most every situation. Not ever really perfect but you should be able to come very, very close to getting your perfect version of C7. After driving a bunch of them new and used I can say this. They are all excellent cars.
test drive test drive test drive.!!!!!... nice well thought out post.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Ken_4fun
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Dont settle

My 2017 Corvette Convertible is a Z-51 with the 3LT. I think getting a loaded one is worth the few more bucks. With the deals out there, I recommend getting a loaded one.

Ken

2017 Z-51 3LT
Old 12-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Show me a post where a 1LT owner states they wished they had purchased a 3LT?
Love my 1LT. So glad they offer it so I don't have to pay for stuff I don't want.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Que Rich
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

I love my 2019 1LT. Has a lot of standard features included!!
Old 12-23-2018, 07:29 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to configuring your Corvette, it is just a matter of personal preference. That said, here is my personal feedback.

The base Stingrays suspension is too soft IMO. It needs the Z51 sway bars at a minimum otherwise the rear end flops around too much for a Corvette. I prefer the M7 but the gearing is a little too tall for my taste in the base Stingrays. Base Stingrays don't come with a rear spoiler or NPP exhaust so once you start adding options, like wheels and and stripes, etc. the delta between a Base Stingray and Z51 become negligible.

If you appreciate sports car driving feel and are not just looking for a cruiser then the Z51 should be on your list. The performance gear ratios, E-Diff, stiffer springs, shocks and sway bars, performance brake pads and of course the most important is the NPP exhaust. All of this hardware adds up and makes a noticeable difference in driving feel.

As far as 1LT vs. 2LT, on the used market if the 2LT is less than a $1000 difference between an equivalent 1LT then I would probably pay for it, assuming I liked the rest of the car. For me, the only "nice to haves" in the 2LT vs. 1LT is front camera and HUD but there is no way I would pay $4500 new for those items. Some like the other things like heated and ventilated seats, (heaters work, the ventilated function barely does anything though) Bose subwoofer (garbage), Homelink visor (swapped it on my 1LT in 5min for $200).

My advice, skip all the cars you mentioned, up your budget or save a little longer and get a Grand Sport. I upgraded from a 1LT Base coupe to 1LT GS Vert and the handling difference is day and night. Plus, you get the wide body look, wider stance, bigger wheels and tires, 6 piston brakes, bigger rotors, mag ride standard. Top down, rowing my own gears and listening to the NPP exhaust. I don't car about all the other garbage. If they had a 0LT I would go for that.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Mr. Bear
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just last week, I picked up a 16 Stingray coupe, A8 with 7k mi. The car had the performance exhaust, the 2LT option, Magnetic Selective Ride Control, & the Z51 19" & 20" tires/wheels. Don't intend to track the car, but won't be driving it like a senior citizen. I like spirited driving & scared the salesman as I tested the limits of the car on our test drive. It's interesting switching between my 90 manual vert & the 16. The 2LT is a better value to me than the 3LT pkg.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:00 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

The upgraded 2lt/3lt is well worth the cost factor. Some don't know what they've missed out on until it's too late. Can't believe that fruitcake guy that only wants you in a 1lt. That's just nutty.

Love my 3LT. So glad they offer it so I didn't have to settle for something I didn't want. I got my new C7 less -20%, because it was a very pricey loaded C7. Some are reporting they paid a lot more for a lot less equipment than mine has. It's very important not to make rash decisions as some have reported they did when making a new Corvette purchase.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-24-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:29 AM
OneFastVette19
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 46 Posts

I came from a Z51 with mag ride C5 which I loved for over 15 years that I had it. That being said I when I ordered my 2019 C7 1LT I just went with a “base” car and added only the options I really care about. I just spiritly drive it on nice days and to cars & coffee events but in my opinion it’s the perfect car for much less. The money I saved in getting a 1LT I can use to mod it exactly the way I want it without paying for some things that I didn’t care about. Either way you go you can’t go wrong with the C7 it’s an amazing car!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:30 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Really? How about all those who don't purchase 3LTs because they don't want the inadequate navigation, PDR and upgraded leather with risk of dash cracking/shrinking?
The 3LT option costs $9,745 (except Z06) not $8000.
Show me a post where a 1LT owner states they wished they had purchased a 3LT?
I expect there's lots of 3LT owners with complete dashes being pulled out and some having to pay $3000+ in repair bills for dash replacements that wish they had not purchased the 3LT.

You posted the other day that you only purchase 'used cars', however if you were to order a new C7 would you purchase the $9745 3LT trim package?

Perhaps you and Skid Row Joe should start your own 3LT forum.
Kevin, Kevin, Kevin you're really reaching here my friend...people dont want NAV, PDR and upgraded leather - really? - and what is your source for that - YOUR window sticker? Im not sure what trim you went with, but Im assuming its NOT a 3LT...why do you feel you need to "defend" buying a LESS optioned car? That means you are either just trying to argue to argue, or you wish you bought more, but can never admit it. If YOU think a 1LT or a 2LT is best for YOU - then that's fine...there are many valid reasons others have selected a 1LT or 2LT...and no one is saying that's bad. You defending a 1LT/2LT is like arguing that a 2500 sq ft house is better than a 4000 sq ft house, because you pay less heating bills...

Oh god, here you go again with the 3LT dashboard non-sense. Ill let you in on a little secret Kevin - not every Corvette owner is on this forum...actually its a very small percentage. So just cause your eyes see "my 3LT dashboard is peeling" in a few posts, you think your LESSER optioned car is now somehow better... If it was such a problem (like you claim) why hasn't GM made any type of recall yet? Cmon pal...lets wake up a little. No one cares what options you have vs what I have - only you seem to be defending that.

Oh - I never said I would buy new - so I dont pay $9000 for a 3LT cause Im smart enough to not buy new, not take a depreciation hit, and not pay full price. Im driving the same car, with more options, for 40% of the price... Hard to argue that...oh wait, let me guess...unless my dash peels right?

PS - As I stated - my 3LT package cost $8,005 (when new)
Old 12-24-2018, 10:23 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FINE99
Thinking of moving up to a C-7 . If there were two 2016 C-7's almost the same in everything and one was a Z51, 1LT and the other was a non Z51 but a 2LT which one would you buy and why ?? Mileage and price about the same . Car will never be tracked ,just a fun car .
The most significant difference between the two is ride - the Z51, especially without MSRC, rides really hard compared to the base car. The base car without adding the Z51 sway bars (F&R - $300) tends to understeer a fair bit, while with the Z51 sway bars it becomes very neutral and as flat in the corners as the Z51 without giving up the smooth ride.
The difference in handling capability between the Base & Z51 is virtually zero - far too many on here equate hard ride with cornering capability, and do things like add all season tires to soften the ride. The stock Michelin PS tires are worth 0.09-0.11g in cornering capability over the Michelin AS3's, compared to the 0.03g a Base gives up to a GS.
The 2LT additions are nice to have, and when buying used, they only cost you about half of the price new. The only option in the base car that would be a deal breaker for me is performance exhaust (NPP).
Old 12-24-2018, 10:45 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

...2016 dark blue with gray int. Z51 3LT with 8000 miles asking $47488 found this one after my 1st post....

This is the one you want! The hell with the few extra thousand. You won't be so concerned about the money after you drive it for a few weeks...in fact, you will be glad you did.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:06 AM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 159 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by golden2husky
...2016 dark blue with gray int. Z51 3LT with 8000 miles asking $47488 found this one after my 1st post....

This is the one you want! The hell with the few extra thousand. You won't be so concerned about the money after you drive it for a few weeks...in fact, you will be glad you did.
This is the one I'm really thinking about . Not a "got to have this or that color guy" but I have no idea what this color looks like and it is a 4-5 hour drive up to Napa to see it . Same car chrome wheels and 16000 miles $45488 in LA 3 hours away . Guess it boils down to miles ,wheels and price .

Last edited by 1FINE99; 12-24-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Mikegerm_C5
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sconn
2016 blue Z51 w/3lt. Seems a no brainer for the lower mileage and price. Happy hunting!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:19 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
The most significant difference between the two is ride - the Z51, especially without MSRC, rides really hard compared to the base car. The base car without adding the Z51 sway bars (F&R - $300) tends to understeer a fair bit, while with the Z51 sway bars it becomes very neutral and as flat in the corners as the Z51 without giving up the smooth ride.
The difference in handling capability between the Base & Z51 is virtually zero - far too many on here equate hard ride with cornering capability, and do things like add all season tires to soften the ride. The stock Michelin PS tires are worth 0.09-0.11g in cornering capability over the Michelin AS3's, compared to the 0.03g a Base gives up to a GS.
The 2LT additions are nice to have, and when buying used, they only cost you about half of the price new. The only option in the base car that would be a deal breaker for me is performance exhaust (NPP).
"The difference in handling capability between base and z51 is virtually zero"? I have driven a base car and a z51 back to back and rest assured your statement is absolutely not true at all. The base car is floaty in comparison, the body leans far more, and the brakes are less capable. If you really feel your statement is true then maybe all you care about is appearance. For those who love to drive and prize body control, fade-free brakes, and the sheer joy of powering through a set of switchbacks a Z-51 is a must.

Try some spirited driving - try some of the interconnects between Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway and the Northern State. Some of those long offramps provide an opportunity for your car to take a "set" as you power through them.

Last edited by golden2husky; 12-24-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:18 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

"The difference in handling capability between base and z51 is virtually zero"? I have driven a base car and a z51 back to back and rest assured your statement is absolutely not true at all. The base car is floaty in comparison, the body leans far more, and the brakes are less capable.
Try some spirited driving - try some of the interconnects between Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway and the Northern State. Some of those long offramps provide an opportunity for your car to take a "set" as you power through them.
You are confusing more body lean and suspension softness with capability - which is just wrong. As for the brakes, unless you are actually on a high speed track, neither the base, the Z51 or GS/Z06 will ever tax the brakes enough on the street to create fade. When I had my base car, I would regularly see 1.05-1.15g on numerous turns that I have lots of experience with, and a best of 1.26g on the M9E exit ramp; on my current GS my numbers aren't significantly better (more than 0.05g higher), although I have a 1.32g on that same exit ramp. The GS tends to hop and then slide more on anything but perfect asphalt.
If you are talking about the ramp from 12E from the SOB to NSP-E or 36A from NSP to SOB-S, unless you are doing over 90 mph, which is pretty reckless on a public road, you won't be coming close to 1.0g on either ramp; 36B from NSP to SOB-E is a nice constant radius corner at 60 mph or so, but most times traffic really keeps speeds well under that.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 or 2LT ?

Old 12-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
You are confusing more body lean and suspension softness with capability - which is just wrong. As for the brakes, unless you are actually on a high speed track, neither the base, the Z51 or GS/Z06 will ever tax the brakes enough on the street to create fade. When I had my base car, I would regularly see 1.05-1.15g on numerous turns that I have lots of experience with, and a best of 1.26g on the M9E exit ramp; on my current GS my numbers aren't significantly better (more than 0.05g higher), although I have a 1.32g on that same exit ramp. The GS tends to hop and then slide more on anything but perfect asphalt.
If you are talking about the ramp from 12E from the SOB to NSP-E or 36A from NSP to SOB-S, unless you are doing over 90 mph, which is pretty reckless on a public road, you won't be coming close to 1.0g on either ramp; 36B from NSP to SOB-E is a nice constant radius corner at 60 mph or so, but most times traffic really keeps speeds well under that.
Not sure why anybody wants to sell the guy on upcharged C7 performance, when the lowly Stingray has 455hp/460 ft lb torque? If you're using over 3/4 throttle in any street situation of the Stingray, you're well into the danger zone of willful reckless driving, by breaking the law on streets and
highways. "The guy isn't tracking the car." Unless your intended use is to break the law, the Stingray already has more than enough power to do that.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Not sure why anybody wants to sell the guy on upcharged C7 performance, when the lowly Stingray has 455hp/460 ft lb torque? If you're using over 3/4 throttle in any street situation of the Stingray, you're well into the danger zone of willful reckless driving, by breaking the law on streets and
highways.
I think you'd be better suited to driving a Prius there buddy.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:32 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

"The difference in handling capability between base and z51 is virtually zero"? I have driven a base car and a z51 back to back and rest assured your statement is absolutely not true at all. The base car is floaty in comparison, the body leans far more, and the brakes are less capable. If you really feel your statement is true then maybe all you care about is appearance. For those who love to drive and prize body control, fade-free brakes, and the sheer joy of powering through a set of switchbacks a Z-51 is a must.
Agreed. I just went from a base Stingray to a Grand Sport. It is a night and day difference in handling. The thing is many folks will not care because they don't actually push the car. If you appreciate a more planted suspension with flatter cornering and much less body roll then the GS or Z51 should be on your priority list.

I came out of a 2016 Camaro SS into the base Stingray and realized it was way too cushy for me so I upgraded to a GS and suspension feels much more confidence inspiring to me. No rear sway bar at all, soft shocks and springs make the base Stingray and great cruiser but it lacks that planted feel for me. The handling of a Corvette is important to me, otherwise I would just get a Challenger Hellcat and cruise. No right or wrong answer, you just need to know what you like.

Quick Reply: Z51 or 2LT ?