Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 or 2LT ?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:31 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346

Easy there! I wasn’t knocking anyone for buying a 3LT. If the right deal came along on a 3LT, I wouldn’t pass it up.

To your point, if you plan to keep the car for longer than the lifespan of the C7 generation, replacement of a cracked rim, though not cheap, will be easier to fix since you simply unbolt the cracked wheels, then bolt new ones on. Replacement of the leather dash pad requires complete removal of the dash......something that I wouldn’t want to deal with if my car is several years beyond the end of the C7 generation Corvette.
The cost of the replacement wheel will continue to be a major expense beyond the end of the C7 generation also. Forged wheels are the solution but are very expensive. Also, not all 3LT owners are having problems with their leather dash.There are inexpensive preventative measures owners can take to mitigate the possibility of having a leather dash issues in the future. Owners who take these steps are not concerned with being "that guy".

Last edited by MMD; 12-27-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Just like every 3lt owner isn't having issues with dashes, not every GS owner is having problems with wheels, just like every A8 owner isn't having issues with the TC... And on and on it goes.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 11:42 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,949 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Really as it's pretty obvious that most C7 purchasers don't want NAV, PDR and upgraded leather as verified by 3LT being the least purchased trim package offered on the C7 by far.
Just a little fact checking...3LT's are the most purchased in 2014...(more than 1LT and 2LT COMBINED)...forgive me I dont have other year's data so I cant speak for other years - but it looks like folks DO want the extra options after all.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:49 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sconn
Just like every 3lt owner isn't having issues with dashes, not every GS owner is having problems with wheels, just like every A8 owner isn't having issues with the TC... And on and on it goes.
True. However, a greater percentage of owners are having problems with their wheels and they are not covered by warranty. The A8 and leather dash issues are covered by warranty.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

True. However, a greater percentage of owners are having problems with their wheels and they are not covered by warranty. The A8 and leather dash issues are covered by warranty.
Ya, I hear ya... This is just my thinking and my opinion only... I would rather spend the money to upgrade my wheels to aftermarket than have my dash torn apart and replaced with the same type of dash that's having problems and risk squeaks and rattles and other damage that dealerships can inflict.
Upgraded rims add to the look of the car. A replaced dash is just that.
Billy346 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 11:57 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Weak sauce argument about the 3LT not being in most demand. Sales numbers based on trim levels has nothing to do with the option desirability but has everything to do with added cost. Using this same logic then would suggest the Z06 and ZR1 are less desirable than the Stingray. I would think the added cost is more of a determining factor when you are comparing sales numbers.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,575 Likes on 5,555 Posts

Your info is from 5 model years ago, now 3LTs make up only about 20% of total.

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Just a little fact checking...3LT's are the most purchased in 2014...(more than 1LT and 2LT COMBINED)...forgive me I dont have other year's data so I cant speak for other years - but it looks like folks DO want the extra options after all.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:04 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sconn
Ya, I hear ya... This is just my thinking and my opinion only... I would rather spend the money to upgrade my wheels to aftermarket than have my dash torn apart and replaced with the same type of dash that's having problems and risk squeaks and rattles and other damage that dealerships can inflict.
Upgraded rims add to the look of the car. A replaced dash is just that.
Some people buy cars and sell them when the warranty is up. Also, I mentioned there are inexpensive preventative steps one can take that can mitigate having issues with a leather dash. The only step you can take to mitigate having an issue with an OEM wheel is not drive the vehicle. Wheel issues are also a safety issue as well.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

my 2015 Corvette is a 3LT and the leather is still firmly attach to the dash. Don't forget that forum can often becomes echo chamber. For every owner that complains, there is probably 1000's of them that don't have the issue. It is something just something to be mindful of. I would worried about the GS wheel though. It just me That is a big safety risk.
MMD (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Your info is from 5 model years ago, now 3LTs make up only about 20% of total.
But again, my information was accurate regardless. I showed you proof - where's yours? Let's hope someone can post data for ALL the years - Im going to guess (and Im saying GUESS) that 3LT was purchased more from 2014 to 2018 vs the other packages... Would love to know if my guess is accurate.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:25 PM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Also, not all 3LT owners are having problems with their leather dash.There are inexpensive preventative measures owners can take to mitigate the possibility of having a leather dash issues in the future.
My apologies for going off the the board on this topic but I keep cars a long time and would be interested in preventative measures to preserve glue on leather dash. If anyone has link with good advice, please post or send me a PM.

On the subject of Z51 vs 2LT, I was actually had my heart set on Z51 because of the awesome hardware included. But after researching reports on pros & cons of Z51 thoroughly on CF, consensus is that non-Z51 is good enough for a road cruiser. Is it ever.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:00 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eseibel67
My apologies for going off the the board on this topic but I keep cars a long time and would be interested in preventative measures to preserve glue on leather dash. If anyone has link with good advice, please post or send me a PM.

On the subject of Z51 vs 2LT, I was actually had my heart set on Z51 because of the awesome hardware included. But after researching reports on pros & cons of Z51 thoroughly on CF, consensus is that non-Z51 is good enough for a road cruiser. Is it ever.
PM sent
Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

But again, my information was accurate regardless. I showed you proof - where's yours? Let's hope someone can post data for ALL the years - Im going to guess (and Im saying GUESS) that 3LT was purchased more from 2014 to 2018 vs the other packages... Would love to know if my guess is accurate.
Here is some data about 2018 from Corvette Blogger:

For the Stingray Coupe, the top trim package is the 1LT, chosen by over half of buyers with 1,753 (57.1%) vs 782 for 2LT (25.4%), and 543 for 3LT (17.7%).
From this link:

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...te-model-year/

For 2017 the 2LT package was the most popular:

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/wp-co...HWC-UPDATE.pdf

For 2016, the 2LT package was the most popular, followed by 1LT, then 3LT last:

http://www.macmulkincorvette.com/cor...ction-numbers/

For 2015, the most popular package was 2LT, followed by 3LT, followed by 1LT

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015...on-statistics/

So it appears that 2014 was the only year that 3LT was the most popular and as time went on it shifted more towards 2LT and then 1LT being most popular.

Last edited by Patman; 12-27-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:42 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Patman

From this link:

So it appears that 2014 was the only year that 3LT was the most popular and as time went on it shifted more towards 2LT and then 1LT being most popular.
I don't think you can look at numbers out of context, You need to also know how much the option cost in each year and did the options change between the trim lines in any given year. Cost is an important factor in people's decision to purchase a trim option.

Last edited by MMD; 12-27-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Patman

From this link:

Great data - thank you... But why aren't you including 1LZ to 3LZ packages - aren't they they same a 1LT to 3LT for non-Z cars? If you add them, the 3LTs/3LZs come out on top more years than not...
Old 12-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

I don't think you can look at numbers out of context, You need to also know how much the option cost in each year and did the options change between the trim lines in any given year. Cost is an important factor in people's decision to purchase a trim option.
I would also think that first year buyers are bought by the corvette enthusiast. As the years goes by, the more casual or less deep pocket are in the market.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Patman
Race Director

Great data - thank you... But why aren't you including 1LZ to 3LZ packages - aren't they they same a 1LT to 3LT for non-Z cars? If you add them, the 3LTs/3LZs come out on top more years than not...
I was just using the data from the links in the easiest way to post them and they all posted separate totals for the LT packages from the LZ packages, but I agree that including the 1LZ, 2LZ, 3LZ in the total is a more true representation.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 or 2LT ?

Old 12-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Lets just agree to disagree - you're happy with 2500 sq ft and Im happy with 4000 sq ft...
I'll keep my 4,000 SF, 3LT @ -20. % of! f MSRP too

Patman - usually I agree with you - but today your just being a d**k. Grow up pal. I never said you were cheap, or an idiot (well today I am but just because of your post)... Respect is earned - not requested. Id respect you if you said, hey, I know a 3LT is the top heap of the pile, but either I didn't want one or couldn't afford one, or my wife just said no... That's totally cool with me - but when MORONS go on about how a 1LT or 2LT is BETTER, you get ZERO respect. Notice I said "BETTER"...you keep saying "the extra stuff I dont want".. (that's not the argument - no one can argue what you want) Im talking BETTER. Cause whether you like it or not, a bigger salary is BETTER, a bigger house is BETTER, and guess what...a 3LT is BETTER. No one (except maybe you) says mediocre is better, a less optioned car is better, a smaller house is better. So stop arguing and move on - cause the 3LT owners dont care what options you have - you guys are the only ones bitching...which also leads me to believe you DO regret getting a 1LT, otherwise you wouldn't care what I, Joe or anyone said...
The 3LT has it ALL. I can't deny that I'm glad I got it. Mediocre, doesn't work for me either.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

The 3LT has it ALL. I can't deny that I'm glad I got it. Mediocre, doesn't work for me either.
No C7 Corvette can be considered mediocre, no matter how it's configured.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Michael Griffin
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What in your opinion make the 2LT that much better of a car? Is it the HUD / 1 extra speaker PDR( only if tracking) Power seats (No one adjust their seat every time they drive their car) or free cargo cover? Don't see mush difference from the 1LT to 2LT other than more issues with electronics 5 years down the road. Now 3LT has the better material (Leather). Please don't suggest the options you prefer as we all have different taste and budgets. The gentlemen ask what would be a better buy a SR or Z51 not what you like and dislike. I have come to notice on this forum everyone wants everyone else to get what they like about a Vett.. I LOVE my 1LT GS. Did you buy your car to resale? If so BAD investment. Who cares about resale. If you are buying to resale your opinion is pointless.

Thanks for letting us get the car of our dreams not the car of your dreams.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z51 or 2LT ?