C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will you get the upcoming C8?
Yes
15.52%
No
39.37%
Maybe
33.05%
Ill wait for 2nd generation
10.63%
Other (explain-wife won't let me, etc)
1.44%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Will you get a C8 ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 09:58 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

They have had all kinds of problems with the C/7, rear ends, transmissions, in some cases G/M bought back cars because they can't find the problem. All you have to do is look on the pages here and see all the problems, That's just the ones that get reported.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I want one of your used C7s when you trade up, thanks a bunch for keeping it nice for me.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:32 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by stillcrazy
They have had all kinds of problems with the C/7, rear ends, transmissions, in some cases G/M bought back cars because they can't find the problem. All you have to do is look on the pages here and see all the problems, That's just the ones that get reported.
yeah what a mess. Some of the cars got warranty repairs and in rare circumstances, lemons. That never happens to other cars. Someone on a forum having a problem doesn't mean it's a flaw in the vehicle design. Sometimes you get a bad part, bad installation at the line, whatever. The rear diff, for example, is fine.

They had three real problems:
Z06 overheating on the track (which is still bad, but mostly sorted out)
Wheel bending
A8 torque converter debacle

That's far from not being able to figure them out. You look at any high end sports car and they all have their issues.

There are people with dozens of hard track miles on their cars and they're doing great. There are people with over 100k miles on their cars doing great. It's a well sorted car with a few weak points that rear their ugly heads like any other platform. My BRZ is a sports car and didn't come with ANY oil cooler (except in radiator) or oil temp gauge and it fries its own coil packs and it now has a recall on its valve springs. That's a real problem. Older generation C63 AMGs would blow head gaskets left and right. Even the most reliable cars have problems: My 4Runner ball joints would crack. Lexus IS interiors would melt. Almost every car has flaws.

Last edited by village idiot; 12-26-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:20 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

no G/M can't seem to get the C/7 right let alone the C/8
True.

If my C7 is plagued with one or more irreconcilable problems, it may be time to cut bait. So far, so good on my 13 month old 2017 convertible bought brand new. I owned a new 1977 C3 42 years ago. It was damm near perfect!

I may add a C8 along with my C7 as many of us here may do.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-27-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:19 AM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know much about the C8, if it's naturally aspirated and has a manual transmission then I would definitely consider one. However it won't be until 2-3 years in when I can pick up a used.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:18 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Old 12-27-2018, 02:19 AM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

There's more, the rear end noise problem is still unsolved, G/M can't decide for sure. Some guys who have had trans problem wound up loosing an engine in the process because the new parts were installed wrong and wound up blowing the engine. You pay 50-80 k for a damn car you don't expect to have major problems. G/M has had since14 to solve their problems and it's still undecided how to fix these problems.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:43 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Who is arguing that?
I will not argue the point, it is a widely known and thoroughly documented fact bolstered by plenty of world class racing success. Don't even go there or I will be forced to ignore this forum even more than I do now.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:37 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Interesting that most people voted no. I will wait until year 2-3 of the C8 generation. I would like to make sure the bugs are ironed out.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:02 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Interesting that most people voted no. I will wait until year 2-3 of the C8 generation. I would like to make sure the bugs are ironed out.
LOL, until it comes out or u until you pull up next to one.!
Old 12-27-2018, 07:13 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

So let me say, Every new model year that has come out I have HATED, (for about 3 months) and then think Boy i have to get one of those NOW. well I feel the same way and am thinking there is absolutely NO WAY! I am going to like that car. Time will tell , I was shopping for a new C7 incase it was going to be my last Corvette because I don't like the C8 but no one wanted to make what I feel was a reasonable offer on my C7 on trade. So the C8 for me is a NO WAY! but I am interested to see if it will grow on me. I am kinda disappointed we are losing the corvette, Who knows I may become a Camaro owner. Since that car came out i always seen it as a 4 seat Corvette, My wife would rather have the Camaro as it is

Last edited by Ih2lose; 12-27-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't think that the new C8 I be for me.i have a feeling GM wants to push out younger middle class folks like myself who can afford the car but also need it to be practical since I live closer to the city and parking is limited I can't have extra cars. So it needs to hold suit cases golf clubs and ect. Also it can't cost as much as some of the rumors suggest because that will price me out of the market. I have a feeling they want someone like me in the Camaro. I guess at least I won't be mocked for driving and old man's car though if I get a Camaro.

Also I prefer the convertable of possible I am hearing that won't be an option?
​​​​
Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
So let me say, Every new model year that has come out I have HATED, (for about 3 months) and then think Boy i have to get one of those NOW. well I feel the same way and am thinking there is absolutely NO WAY! I am going to like that car. Time will tell , I was shopping for a new C7 incase it was going to be my last C7 because i don't like the C8 but no one wanted to make what I feel was a reasonable offer on my C7 on trade. So the C8 for me is a NO WAY! but I am interested to see if it will grow on me. I am kinda disappointed we are loosing the corvette, Who knows I may become a Camaro owner. Since that car came out i always seen it as a 4 seat Corvette, My wife would rather have the Camaro as it is
I hear you but the Vette is the ONLY Chevy I would buy..
Old 12-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
I don't think that the new C8 I be for me.i have a feeling GM wants to push out younger middle class folks like myself who can afford the car but also need it to be practical since I live closer to the city and parking is limited I can't have extra cars. So it needs to hold suit cases golf clubs and ect. Also it can't cost as much as some of the rumors suggest because that will price me out of the market. I have a feeling they want someone like me in the Camaro. I guess at least I won't be mocked for driving and old man's car though if I get a Camaro.

Also I prefer the convertable of possible I am hearing that won't be an option?
​​​​
Camo Test cars seem to indicate Targa and Hardtop retractable top. Go to mid engine C8 section to get more info on convertible.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 12-27-2018, 09:04 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

There's more, the rear end noise problem is still unsolved, G/M can't decide for sure. Some guys who have had trans problem wound up loosing an engine in the process because the new parts were installed wrong and wound up blowing the engine. You pay 50-80 k for a damn car you don't expect to have major problems. G/M has had since14 to solve their problems and it's still undecided how to fix these problems.
I am sorry to point this out to you, but the price point is no longer extravagant. Look at the SUV or Pickup market. And they pump those out by the 100's every day. Just because they have gotten expensive, does not make them exotic or perfect, just expensive...(But we keep paying it!)

It is a percentage thing and the percentage is towards being better not worse. I think you also have to throw in the buyer to the equation, some have beyond common sense expectations of what the car is or should be. I remember when the C5 came out and one of the biggest buying points is it didn't leak when it rained... Can you imagine that today? People today want to lemon a car for body flex/rubbing where paint will chip? I again digress, I remember what real stress cracks were... I am not saying things can be overlooked and just thrown out to the public to let us figure it out, but... They are getting more complicated, which can lead to less give before something is noticed.

Cars are not perfect, that is why we all used to know how to work on them (without an ohm meter).
Old 12-27-2018, 12:42 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

And the vast majority that do not have problems don't get reported. The last Ford recall involved 1.4 million vehicles. The last GM recall involved over 1 million pickups. Cars have problems. If you are concerned that a Corvette might have a problem, by all means don't buy one.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:52 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
And the vast majority that do not have problems don't get reported.
This ^^^ When you read stuff online everything gets skewed. People come online to forums to post whenever they have an issue but no one joins up and says "Hey, still having no problems; everything is great." Even if they did that thread would get zero attention/responses.

I've owned 4 Dodge Chargers over the last 10 years and put over 100,000 miles on one of them, all problem free. But they are panned all over the internet for being complete garbage and having all kinds of problems. That's not been my experience or the experience of most owners

There's a strong negative bias on just about anything online, because people tend to focus on the negative, no one gives as **** about the positive.

Get notified of new replies

To Will you get a C8 ???

Old 12-27-2018, 01:11 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
This ^^^ When you read stuff online everything gets skewed. People come online to forums to post whenever they have an issue but no one joins up and says "Hey, still having no problems; everything is great." Even if they did that thread would get zero attention/responses.

I've owned 4 Dodge Chargers over the last 10 years and put over 100,000 miles on one of them, all problem free. But they are panned all over the internet for being complete garbage and having all kinds of problems. That's not been my experience or the experience of most owners

There's a strong negative bias on just about anything online, because people tend to focus on the negative, no one gives as **** about the positive.
This was a GOOD post!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:08 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Well unfortunately I have one an 18 vert. Which I have already had the whole rear assembly replaced. I was lucky my problem seems solved but others are still having problems

Last edited by stillcrazy; 12-27-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:31 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs

In this case, like the issue with the A8 driveline due to AFM, we're talking about a real, serious design flaw. It is a serious issue and it is widespread. This is evidenced by the many TSBs chevy has gone through and the upcoming promise for a new fix after the new year rolls around. And these cars have only been out for 4 or 5 years and the vast majority of them see very little mileage each year - if these cars were driven as much as the average model, this issue would be even more prevalent and more obvious. I hope chevy comes up with a real fix for this, but it looks like to me they are applying bandaids and hoping all the cars get past warranty.

Now as for the C8, I just don't like how it looks, mostly because it was designed for the mid engine. The rear end is just way too big, it looks like a kardashian after the holidays. Maybe it will grow on me, but I loved the C7 from the first time I saw it. And even if I loved the looks of the C8, there is no way in hell I'd buy an early model after seeing some of the tech issues with the C7, especially when the C8 is all new - i read that it's already being delayed due to electrical issues. Luckily I'm really happy with my 19 GS right now.

Quick Reply: Will you get a C8 ???