Sponsored by:

New to the forum, prospective buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 PM
ChiokeS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkbarr
A close friend has a 718 Cayman S and has allowed me to drive it a number of times. He in turn has driven my ZR1 and another club members Stingray.
Our thoughts at a high level on the experience between the 718 and say a SR or GS:

The 718 is smaller and more nimble in tight corners
Handling wise, probably a toss up
Craftmanship, the Porsche hands down
Cruising around with others, the Corvette.
Power and sound, hands down the Corvette
Cost wise the 718 is about the same as a GS
Community wise, Corvette(not as many Porsche clubs as Corvette!!)

Hope that helps from an objective view. The OP will be happy with either car. I fully understand I’m posting on a Corvette forum. I live and breathe C7s and currently have a couple of them, a SR and ZR1.

Hawkbarr
Really great info. I'm still pretty new to the various sports car communities (always liked them, but up until now I've been occupied with bikes). Are there many Corvette clubs in Southern Alberta? It seems like they could make for a fun outing every now and again.

I think I would probably lean more towards the power side, and accordingly probably favour the Corvette slightly, though I think we will probably still have to drive both. especially since I think she might actually appreciate a bit less power (I wouldn't want her to be intimidated by the car).

On a side note, how livable is the ZR1? I think I'd love one (having never driven one, that is) but I can't imagine I would ever come close to using all of the car, and it seems a tad over kill for our intended purpose. But I'd be happy to hear anything that could be used to allow a 700+ hp car in the garage.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:09 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I have a 19 3LT. I probably would have had buyer's remorse if I had the 1LT trim. Really enjoy having the Navigation and the HUD which are integrated and work very well together. The MSRC and PDR are great to have also. Never know when you're going to need or use Valet mode. Stealth mode is another useful feature with neighbors nearby. Heated and cooled seats and a remote start are useful features and are not found on the 1LT.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:55 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiokeS
Thanks for the feedback! The 2LT definitely seems like a great value proposition, though I would probably end up getting it just for the cooled seats (the girlfriend does not like light coloured leather, and I would like my butt not to be melted off).

I definitely did not think about the the stoplight visibility. I was considering getting the glass roof later on, if it seemed like we needed it, but maybe it would be best to just order the car with it.

As another note, how adjustable is the magnetic ride? Is it mostly applicable tor track use, or can it be adjusted to suit all applications reasonably well.
Good catch.....be certain to not get stuck with a 1LT. There's not enough there to get excited
about. My 3LT has it ALL! No way I could go backwards!

.The guy that can't see the red lights is 6'3". I'm 6'0" and have no trouble seeing them.

..I've got MSRC and never use it. Unless you intend on street racing or tracking the car, you'll never need it!

Buy a convertible if you can handle the $5K up charge. You'll never regret it!! I love mine!

​​​​​​​
Old 12-27-2018, 02:23 AM
ChiokeS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Good catch.....be certain to not get stuck with a 1LT. There's not enough there to get excited
about. My 3LT has it ALL! No way I could go backwards!

.The guy that can't see the red lights is 6'3". I'm 6'0" and have no trouble seeing them.

..I've got MSRC and never use it. Unless you intend on street racing or tracking the car, you'll never need it!

Buy a convertible if you can handle the $5K up charge. You'll never regret it!! I love mine!

Ah, good to know that I should still be able to see the lights just fine. I'm a little disappointed that so many features are missing on the 1 LT compared to the other trims, especially considering that it's the trim that the dealers in my area have the most of.

While I do really dig the storm trooper look you have going on there, I don't think I could see myself ever owning a convertible (though targa's are ok). Neither of us are convertible people, and we do prefer the look (and space) of the coupe. Admittedly I am a fan of the shooting brake design of the Callaway Aerowagon.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:54 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

On long trips, the important items, such as munchy bag, cooler, and pillow are easily available, but out of the way in the coupe. No need to stop and go get anything from out of the trunk. Nice feature.
The following users liked this post:
ChiokeS (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 02:30 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I just joined the forum after a bit of lurking. My girlfriend and I are looking add another vehicle to the fleet (neither her Cx5, nor my Ram are particularly well suited to weekend romps through the mountains). We have narrowed the choice to either a 718 Cayman or a C7 coupe. Our main purpose would be using the car to take weekend trips up to Banff, or other fun weekend road trips. It looks as if we would be able to fit two carry on size bags in the back, am I correct? Also, how is the comfort for long distance driving. Lastly, have any of you experienced buyers remorse after getting your C7, if so, why?

Looking forward to reading all of the replies.

Welcome to the Forum

We've had a few C7 Corvettes. I think our combined mileage is about 130,000 on the trio we've owned. The last one, and one we drove the most, was our 2016 Callaway AeroWagen.

You mentioned interest in the AeroWagen. It's a wonderful touring vehicle. Lots of space. Very practical. If we can help, please let me know. Thanks.

info@callawaycars.com
Old 12-27-2018, 10:13 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

As another note, how adjustable is the magnetic ride? Is it mostly applicable tor track use, or can it be adjusted to suit all applications reasonably well.
It has three modes / settings: Touring, Sport and Track. Each gets progressively firmer. Sport feels perfect to me, but on long drives or bumpy highways Touring will soften things up. Track is very stiff & hard which limits body roll and allows you to feel everything under the tires. All settings work on the street, you don't need a track to enjoy them. I personally like firm suspension but my wife doesn't so now we adjust the car to suit our preferences or mood. Its like having 3 cars in 1. I am very impressed with it how well it works.

There is an aftermarket unit that allows you tune or adjust the mag ride even further if desired: https://www.dscsport.com/corvette/

Quick Reply: New to the forum, prospective buyer