Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Comfort in non-Z51

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 06:30 PM
marsheng
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 2019 base convertible with Mag ride and it is very comfortable to ride in. A friends has a 2017 base with the smaller wheels and no Mag Ride and we find the ride very comparable between the two cars. His tire pressure is recommended at 35psi where mine is recommended at 30 psi with the 19and 20 inch wheels so perhaps that is part of the reason they seem so similar in ride quality but I have the option to stiffen it up for sportier driving and I enjoy that feature and would buy the Mag Ride option again.He stated he would buy Mag Ride if he buys a new car as likes the option to stiffen things up at will after experiencing it in my car.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I drove 350 miles in an automatic base 2016 without MSRC once. It was surprisingly soft and floaty. Rode better than a number of luxury sport sedans I’ve driven. Great for a fast cruiser, but it didn’t exactly inspire me to find the nearest curvy road. The Z06/Z07 on the other hand...wowza.

Last edited by 4GS7; 12-26-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Way too subjective for any of this to be genuinely meaningful to you, imho. Bear in mind it is a real sports car, not a luxo sedan. At least go ride in a C7 yourself, or better... drive one.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:34 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Mine's a bought new 2017 non-Z51 convertible with MSRC. I specifically bought it equipped this way. The ride is harsh on the softest setting; Touring. I have not paid Chevrolet the $350.00 they want to reprogram the pre-2018 MSRC to the softer settings.
Joe, you might want to consider it. Mine is the same as yours, 17 vert Manual non Z51, MSRC. I had it done and it was a noticeable difference. First thing I noticed was the steering in Tour. It was much looser, to the point of needing to relearn it. I solved the issue by forcing it to Sport 100%. For me, I need it a little stiffer, but I was after a tour-like Cadillac ride because, you know, my other car is a Cadillac. It seemed like a softer ride, and then I went over the railroad tracks beneath the viaduct in Seattle. If you don't know (no reason you should) that area is a hodge podge of pot holes, asphalt patches, steel over the roadway, old tracks, new tracks, constant changes, and crap brought about by the massive construction projects on the waterfront. I hate to go through there, but it's the only way to get from the ferry boat to the start of I-90 and points East. I could not believe how well the Vette took that two mile stretch. It smoothed it out so that it actually was not a problem. That sold me. Best $350 I have spent.

Last edited by mschuyler; 12-26-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:09 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Joe, you might want to consider it. Mine is the same as yours, 17 vert Manual non Z51, MSRC. I had it done and it was a noticeable difference. First thing I noticed was the steering in Tour. It was much looser, to the point of needing to relearn it. I solved the issue by forcing it to Sport 100%. For me, I need it a little stiffer, but I was after a tour-like Cadillac ride because, you know, my other car is a Cadillac. It seemed like a softer ride, and then I went over the railroad tracks beneath the viaduct in Seattle. If you don't know (no reason you should) that area is a hodge podge of pot holes, asphalt patches, steel over the roadway, old tracks, new tracks, constant changes, and crap brought about by the massive construction projects on the waterfront. I hate to go through there, but it's the only way to get from the ferry boat to the start of I-90 and points East. I could not believe how well the Vette took that two mile stretch. It smoothed it out so that it actually was not a problem. That sold me. Best $350 I have spent.
Thanks a million, Mike! Your 2017 C7 convertible and mine are identical - both M7s too! (However I don't have the NPP...)

Here's a tip from me; your steering settings are in the infotainment center. Mine was programmed to Sport. Nice and stiff feeling. I tried Tour, and it was scary loose goosey!

​​​​​​​I'll get the MSRC update on my 2017 one of these days.
The following users liked this post:
mschuyler (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:16 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

I have about 18,000 miles in my 2017 2LT Stingray without mag ride. I frequently drive from DC to Raleigh and back in it and love the ride. Also love getting 32+ mpg but that’s a different topic.
The following users liked this post:
newc8vette (08-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Ride Comfort in non-Z51