C7 or C8

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Keep your C7, and buy a new C8. That's what several of us are going to do. No point in buying a C7.
The OP has a 2016 that is essentially the same as a 2019. I'll get a C8 after perhaps 6 months in production. Unlike the foolish speculation that the price for a base C8 will be $169,000 or even that speculator now guesses $105,000- $115,000 both would be committing Corvette suicide IMO! They would close the plant and after the investment made in Bowling Green the GM Board would be looking for a new CEO!

The base C8 will priced not too far from the current C7 to have similar volumes. I'd be confident that is GM's goal. GM is not Porsche or Ferrari as some wishful thinkers would like to believe!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-15-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by devnull
C7 is already mid engine (it's front-mid engine, behind the front axles). You technically don't sit in the front seats, you sit in the back.

Start the debate... GO.

Originally Posted by fumbling
That is true, when I first got my Corvette and parked it next to my other car side by side in the garage (they are roughly the same length), I noticed the Corvette seats were where the back seats were in my SUV.
Yep, so is my ProStreet Rod with Henry's forward front wheel design and my modest 502 cid engine set back the 1st plug is ~1 foot behind the front wheel center! But even with 53% of it's weight on the rear wheels it does not make it a ME!

Both large weight masses, the engine/rad and the 9 inch Ford rear axle/4 bar link suspension/tires are at the ends of the car! Still high polar moment of inertia! That is what a ME is all about, where the weight is located! The C8 will probably have about my street rods weight distribution as well but it's mass center located more in the middle.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-15-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:43 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, so is my ProStreet Rod with Henry's forward front wheel design and my modest 502 cid engine set back the 1st plug is ~1 foot behind the front wheel center! But even with 53% of it's weight on the rear wheels it does not make it a ME!

Both large weight masses, the engine/rad and the 9 inch Ford rear axle/4 bar link suspension/tires are at the ends of the car! Still high polar moment of inertia! That is what a ME is all about, where the weight is located! The C8 will probably have about my street rods weight distribution as well but it's mass center located more in the middle.

Nice house....Get off the sidewalk now...LOL

Last edited by V Vette; 01-15-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

The OP has a 2016 that is essentially the same as a 2019. I'll get a C8 after perhaps 6 months in production. Unlike the foolish speculation that the price for a base C8 will be $169,000 or even that speculator now guesses $105,000- $115,000 both would be committing Corvette suicide IMO! They would close the plant and after the investment made in Bowling Green the GM Board would be looking for a new CEO!

The base C8 will priced not too far from the current C7 to have similar volumes. I'd be confident that is GM's goal. GM is not Porsche or Ferrari as some wishful thinkers would like to believe!
I'm in
​​​​​​ for a new C8. Although not in the first 6 months in all llikelihood.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by V Vette
Nice house....Get off the sidewalk now...LOL
Thanks. No sidewalks in our rural area. It's on my own circular driveway!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Seriously looking at a C8. Like the idea that it will be most likely also offered in a fold-up hard top convertible. Price and storage are still an issue for us. Want to keep the cost below 100K and need storage similar to what we have now in our C7GS. Love all the newest renderings of C8 on Mid Engine Corvette Forum and getting excited about the DCT.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 AM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 108 Posts

I look at this question from both the 1000 foot altitude as well as how it affects my little corner of the world. GM has now gone beyond MAX with the FE RWD layout, so any next level performance is going to require ME.

The problem I see for GM here is that there are a lot of compromises in going ME for full performance when I would venture to guess that most Corvettes are used as street toys where these compromises will be deal breakers. I have a base M7 Stingray that I use for weekend joy-riding, and it just feels perfect in every way. Rides beautifully and never wanting for more power. And the trunk is big enough to haul supplies for two up to the lake for a few days.

Now I realize that progress continually marches forward, but drivetrain layout is the most fundamental differentiator of how a car drives. Thats why a Pontiac G8 has such a different personality than a Buick Lacrosse. Now there are a good chunk of Corvette sales that go to buyers that need the fastest car on earth so I get the need for a ME car. I also get there are consumers that just want the newest widget whether it suits their needs or not, in fact I would be one of those if my pockets hung down past my knees. But Im not talking about resisting change just to appease the curmudgeons or preserve legacy (like the round taillight issue), Im worried about making the greatness of the C7 as a package obsolete. Corvettes are more about evolution even though there have been a few revolutions - in 1963, 1984 and 2014 that made significant improvements using the technology of the time. I just hope the next revolution doesnt transform the Corvette into a racecar to the point that it alienates the big bulge of the bell curve. If thats the case it will be discontinued forever.

Would be a real shame since a V8 FE manual trans 2 seater is so awesome to drive.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:42 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Thanks. No sidewalks in our rural area. It's on my own circular driveway!
LOL even nicer! Enjoy
Old 01-16-2019, 11:21 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

Thanks,
Recently had the front landscaped to match the rear. No grass that needs cutting! Pic below was before many more plants went put in the front. Rear also has no grass to cut! Looks great at night!

Of interest, there are no rocks in Eastern SC. Not even a pebble, we were all under the ocean even 1 hour in from Myrtle Beach. The rock landscaping is unique for our area!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-16-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Thanks,
Recently had the front landscaped to match the rear. No grass that needs cutting! Pic below was before many more plants went put in the front. Rear also has no grass to cut! Looks great at night!

Slick and good design, especially NO grass to cut! A+
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (01-16-2019)

Quick Reply: C7 or C8