Sponsored by:

Brake Dust & Car Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 03:15 PM
C5_
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Dust & Car Cover?

I have a 2019 Grand Sport with stock brake pads. I want to keep the car covered in my garage and I would like to know if it's a bad idea to cover the car without washing it after driving it every time?

Would wiping the car down with a Ultimate or California duster be a decent alternative to a full wash on a car that is covered very very lightly covered with some brake dust?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by C5_; 12-27-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:22 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_
I have a 2019 Grand Sport with stock brake pads. I want to keep the car covered in my garage and I would like to know if it's a bad idea to cover the car without washing it after driving it every time?

Thanks for your input.
If you put a cover on that is dirty then grains of sand will collect in the interior side of the cover. Now, when you use this same cover on a freshly cleaned vehicle you are putting a dirty cover on the paint and this will cause swirls in the paint surface. Not a good idea.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:25 PM
rasacrystal08
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

First question is, why are you covering it in garage? If it's to protect from bumps or other issues, then always wash it. Otherwise you'll just be dragging the dirt across the paint every time you cover & uncover it.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 557 Posts

I just wipe it down with a waterless wash then cover it. Never cover a dusty or dirty car or your looking for scratches and swirl marks. If I'm going to drive it the next day or soon I just keep it uncovered . Its not that bad for me because its not my dd its more of a weekend warrior
Old 12-27-2018, 10:01 PM
0Corvettes@FHDaileyChevrolet
Former Vendor

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

I always wiped my cars down with detail spray and a microfiber towel before putting a car cover on. The wheels always need to be wiped off before putting a car cover on. Otherwise you will just mess up the cover and end up buying a new one.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:22 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,603 Likes on 5,561 Posts

Covering a dirty car isn't good for car finish or cover.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 PM
Mehrlovin
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You want to avoid friction on the surface of the paint at any cost. I suppose you could just rinse it with water but I think the purest is always going to say wash using the two bucket method, blow dry with a leaf blower or shop vac, then buff polish with plush microfiber, then cover.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Dust & Car Cover?

Quick Reply: Brake Dust & Car Cover?