C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if you have a dash cam and are at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 10:11 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default What if you have a dash cam and are at fault?

If you are in an accident, are at fault, and happen to have recorded it with your dash cam, I imagine it's a crime to then destroy that evidence. Is it discoverable and admissiable in court?

ie: can the court require that you incriminate yourself by turning over relevant evidence against yourself like that? Asking genuinely, never had an accident and am not an attorney, but I have a dash cam!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:16 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Your ins agent will tell you not to admit to nothing to a police office are anyone. If it goes to court let them say to whom is to blame for it.. Robert
Old 12-28-2018, 10:26 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

You can do as you please with your recording. Throw it out, delete it, keep it to yourself. That’s your business. If it’s your fault as you say that’s apparently already determined so who cares about video.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glennm27:
defaria (12-28-2018), dvilin (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not asked, not telling....
Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
If you are in an accident, are at fault, and happen to have recorded it with your dash cam, I imagine it's a crime to then destroy that evidence. Is it discoverable and admissiable in court?

ie: can the court require that you incriminate yourself by turning over relevant evidence against yourself like that? Asking genuinely, never had an accident and am not an attorney, but I have a dash cam!
The dash cam video now become evidence. If you try to dispose of the video you are breaking the law as it is a serious offense. This guy on the vid is a lawyer in Michigan. He has worked in the area if consumer law and pritection for 27 years and is very bright. He answers your question directly.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Here in NC, I know of folks who have gotten ticketed for infractions viewed by the trooper from the riders GoPro.
The trooper pull the biker over for doing something stupid, then had an entire days worth of stupidity.

The guy I ride with, knowing this info, we hide our cameras. This would be the same in a car.
Accelerate from a red light = Exhibition of Speed or Careless or Reckless Driving. You decide.

I would not mention it to the law enforcement agency doing the crash report/investigation.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Take your responsibility as a human being. Yes the video is evidence and destroying it breaks the law. Lying to the insurance is fraud. I love dash cam. I think everyone should have one. It does make you a better drive because you know you are being recorded but it also capture other's craziness on the road. You camera can be an important witness to a serious accident or crime. You never know what you will get on camera.
The following users liked this post:
BigTree (12-29-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
Here in NC, I know of folks who have gotten ticketed for infractions viewed by the trooper from the riders GoPro.
The trooper pull the biker over for doing something stupid, then had an entire days worth of stupidity.

The guy I ride with, knowing this info, we hide our cameras. This would be the same in a car.
Accelerate from a red light = Exhibition of Speed or Careless or Reckless Driving. You decide.

I would not mention it to the law enforcement agency doing the crash report/investigation.
Very interesting. Can a trooper or a cop take or view your camera without a court order?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:54 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GoatHead
Very interesting. Can a trooper or a cop take or view your camera without a court order?
yes they can.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:00 PM
rogergcam
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts
Default who owns it?

I would like to ask the same question, except about the info stored on the cars various computers. Can the police sieze that info and use it? Do they need any kind of warrent? Would the computers be subject to a car search like the rest of the car? Lots of interesting questions on this thread. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:36 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rogergcam
I would like to ask the same question, except about the info stored on the cars various computers. Can the police sieze that info and use it? Do they need any kind of warrent? Would the computers be subject to a car search like the rest of the car? Lots of interesting questions on this thread. Thanks!
Only if they have a reasonable suspicion you have been involved in a crime (a real crime...not a traffic ticket) can they search you. However, if there is some sort of contraband in plain view within your car they can confiscate. Here watch this law video. Very good.

Last edited by MMD; 12-28-2018 at 01:28 PM.
383vett (12-29-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 12:57 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I don't understand why nobody seems to make a dash cam that is secured via a password. IOW the only way to play or remove videos from the device would be to require a password to unlock the device (think encrypted file system). If that was done then the police/court could not access those files without knowing your password and they should not be able compel you to reveal your password then that's a violation of your 5th amendment rights to be free from self incrimination. Or at least some courts view it as a violation while others try to say it isn't. SCOTUS definitely needs to weigh in but hasn't yet.

From a security podcast I listen to:

STEVE: Also in good news, we have one more judge. We're still sort of feeling our way through this question of fingerprint versus password. And a Virginia Circuit Court judge ruled last Thursday the way we wanted them to, which is that a person does not need to provide a passcode to unlock their phone for the police. We've pretty much already lost the battle of the fingerprint. That seems to be pretty much gone. But at least the issue of what you know cannot be extracted. That's still considered testimony, which is protected under the Fifth Amendment to the - in the U.S., I should say, to the U.S. Constitution.

So a couple quote snippets here: "Giving police a fingerprint" - and this is from the judge's comments. "Giving police a fingerprint is akin to providing a DNA or handwriting sample or an actual key, all which the law permits. A passcode, though, requires the defendant to divulge knowledge, which the law protects." And then, lastly: "A communication is testimonial only when it reveals the contents of your mind. We cannot invoke the privilege against self-incrimination to prevent the government from collecting biometrics like fingerprints, DNA samples, or voice exemplars because the courts have decided that this evidence doesn't reveal anything you know. It's not therefore testimonial."
Also, from https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...l-court-says/:

Without this capability, the authorities are trying to get suspects to cough up their passwords instead. The Supreme Court has never ruled on the constitutionality of the issue. There's been a smattering of varying court rulings nationwide on the topic. In 2012, a federal appeals court said that forcing a child-**** suspect to decrypt password-protected hard drives would amount to a Fifth Amendment violation.

In the latest case, the SEC is investigating two former Capital One data analysts who allegedly used insider information associated with their jobs to trade stocks—in this case, a $150,000 investment allegedly turned into $2.8 million. Regulators suspect the mobile devices are holding evidence of insider trading and demanded that the two turn over their passcodes.

The defendants balked at supplying their passcodes, saying the Fifth Amendment protected them. The judge agreed and said that the government was going on a fishing expedition
Old 12-28-2018, 01:15 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That's what makes the PDR nice. Most people don't even know it's there and the SD cards are so small you could dispose of them easily should you be so inclined.
speed4tu (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 01:16 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Thanks MMD for that video. Very interesting. Wondering what if... you had the dash cam on your dashboard, facing forward, very visible, red light blinking showing it is on. But you either do not have a sound record feature, or you do but turn it off. The car techs abuse your car. Since it is not recording the people, nor their voices, but only recording the road ahead showing driving abuse, would this be allowed? No eavesdropping. Much like the lawyer speaking of a Go-Pro attached to the under carriage, only that it is inside, not outside.
Hummmmmmm.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:31 PM
geraldschumann
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

It is a felony to tamper with evidence. Even from a traffic ticket. If your wrong your wrong. Whats the issue?
Old 12-28-2018, 01:33 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 384 Likes on 271 Posts

How about doing the right thing?
Old 12-28-2018, 01:34 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mazurekd
Thanks MMD for that video. Very interesting. Wondering what if... you had the dash cam on your dashboard, facing forward, very visible, red light blinking showing it is on. But you either do not have a sound record feature, or you do but turn it off. The car techs abuse your car. Since it is not recording the people, nor their voices, but only recording the road ahead showing driving abuse, would this be allowed? No eavesdropping. Much like the lawyer speaking of a Go-Pro attached to the under carriage, only that it is inside, not outside.
Hummmmmmm.
You can use your PDR or dash cam to record as long as it does not record audio. You would be breaking the law if you record anyone's audio without their permission. The last few years Corvette took out the audio record capability. The early years of the C7 had audio record capability but GM had a firmware update that removed that capability at the behest of their lawyers.

Get notified of new replies

To What if you have a dash cam and are at fault?

Old 12-28-2018, 02:23 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Almost glad I did not get one!

!
trumanjd1 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:28 PM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

You can use your PDR or dash cam to record as long as it does not record audio. You would be breaking the law if you record anyone's audio without their permission. The last few years Corvette took out the audio record capability. The early years of the C7 had audio record capability but GM had a firmware update that removed that capability at the behest of their lawyers.
This is not true. My 2019 records audio
Old 12-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Just a note. This is only valid in the USA. In Canada, it is legal to do audio recording as long as one party consent (you). A Dashcam is an invaluable tool against insurance frauds. I would rather have one than not. It makes insurance claims so much easier to deal with. It also makes anyone behave more like human when they know they are being recorded.

Quick Reply: What if you have a dash cam and are at fault?