Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my Range AFM

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:16 AM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

If your using the range, fluid change won't hurt but might not make any difference. Fluid change was to help with shutter issues and since it's not going in and out of v4 with the range device probably doesn't matter. I would wait and see what Gm comes out with for latest update. There are a lot of cars out there with factory fluid and the fluid is not causing the issues as far as we know
Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I would recommend getting the fluid changed. The Range device, contrary to what some believe here, does nothing to alter how the transmission shifts. The new fluid makes a major change in how smooth the transmission shifts.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:22 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

The reason I went ahead and changed my fluid after the Range device was installed was that I already had over 60,000 miles on the car and was starting to develop a very mild shutter. That went away after the flush. I now leave the Range device in at all times. I thought it was beneficial and it was due for a change anyway.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:49 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I think the TC clutch still functions even with the range but just not as active, could be wrong but don't think so. If my assumption is correct the fluid change would be a good thing. If GM want do mine under warranty even though I have no issues and use the range device I would pay the 380.00 for piece of mind. The local chevy dealers in my area are clueless on the TC and Mag Ride upgrade and famous Warble problem so little hesitant to have them do anything except free oil changes and watch like a hawk. We keep hearing about a TSB coming in 2019 with a TC fix but not holding my breath.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Ryan,
With the automatic transmission the AFM system (switches to V4 under light load) is active in all driver modes and chews up the torque converter clutch;
This is all not totally true. I have had a Range in my '16 A8 since new and now at 12K miles my torque converter is toast. Had the triple flush already, as expected had no effect on the issues. Waiting until I get 200 miles on it to return for another torque converter to be installed. So it's not solely the V4 mode causing the failures. At least not in my case
The following users liked this post:
bjones7131 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 06:12 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speed4tu
This is all not totally true. I have had a Range in my '16 A8 since new and now at 12K miles my torque converter is toast. Had the triple flush already, as expected had no effect on the issues. Waiting until I get 200 miles on it to return for another torque converter to be installed. So it's not solely the V4 mode causing the failures. At least not in my case
Agree that TC is still active with range but not as much. They quit doing the 3flush and now do a one flush, (so I am told or read) and blow out the lines and put in the NEW fluid. We will see what the new fix brings that is coming. Good luck with fix.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:36 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

There are other causes of shudder besides a bad converter clutch but because this is such a common issue with 8L45/8L90 equipped vehicles very few dealer techs actually follow the TSB to test that the clutch is at fault. If there is another problem with power delivery, the new converter won't fix the problem. GM's own TSB calls for the tech to test the converter in all three modes (command unlocked, command locked, and normal) and if the shudder is still present in the unlocked or locked modes then the fault lies outside the converter lockup clutch. It is also possible that your converter clutch was simply defective from the start and neither magic fluid nor protection from the clutch eating AFM behavior would have made a difference.

Even without AFM, there are going to be transmission defects in normal production but this combination of AFM plus "squashed converter" has created such a huge issue that every problem that in any way matches the converter clutch shudder will be blamed on it by the tech resulting in a longer path for the customer to get the problem actually resolved if it isn't the issue addressed in the multiple TSBs that continue to be released as GM searches for a cheap way to bury this design fault.

Last edited by NSC5; 01-02-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:26 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

TSB's, Ranges, and ATF's
Overall, my A8 does not have the shudder issue. But it did have some seemingly rough shifting patterns in some situations. It also has the usual annoying hesitation/hunting caused by the AFM/V4 mode.

TSB's - I was holding off with the Range until I heard more details about the new 18-NA-355 TSB. With what is known so far, that TSB turns out to be limited to a fluid change (again) with (another) new fluid part number. I was hoping for a GM reprogram to avoid V4 except when in ECO/Weather like the M7. Sigh....

Range - So I acquired a Range and put it in today. My experience is much like the others - very noticeable improvement in hesitations on throttle tip-in and overall much smoother operation. As observed by many - the range device offers distinct improvements. Importantly, I could now separate tranny shift issues from AFM problems! With the Range, there are still a couple of minor blips in my A8, such as a sometimes noticeable downshift when arriving at a stop sign/light. But this problem was much worse when new.. which leads me to ATF.

ATF - My A8 has had 2 separate DIY fluid changes about 1000 miles apart with Mobil 1 LV ATF HP as recommended in the GM TSB 16-NA-175. (Mobil part number 122210). The fluid level check was carefully followed each time. Each change smoothed out the shifting and smoothness of the tranny.
I may be wrong, but I do have this opinion - - Changing out the original factory fluid with the Mobil 122210 LV ATF HP or the newer version (whatever that number may be) does no harm and can do quite a bit of good. The 'good' part is the possibility of smoother shifting operation and a preventative measure against future shudder problems. Even if the shifting is unchanged, the fresh fluid would seem to be a wise move given the A8 problems.
I will be considering a THIRD change if the reports for this 'new' fluid are positive.
If you have ever watched the video showing what it takes to do a TC/Tranny replacement, then you may have shuddered more than the A8 ever has!!! You just don't want that to have to happen.

Last edited by kensredvette2; 01-04-2019 at 02:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kensredvette2:
javenius (01-04-2019), orca1946 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:39 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kensredvette2
TSB's, Ranges, and ATF's
Overall, my A8 does not have the shudder issue. But it did have some seemingly rough shifting patterns in some situations. It also has the usual annoying hesitation/hunting caused by the AFM/V4 mode.

TSB's - I was holding off with the Range until I heard more details about the new 18-NA-355 TSB. With what is known so far, that TSB turns out to be limited to a fluid change (again) with (another) new fluid part number. I was hoping for a GM reprogram to avoid V4 except when in ECO/Weather like the M7. Sigh....

Range - So I acquired a Range and put it in today. My experience is much like the others - very noticeable improvement in hesitations on throttle tip-in and overall much smoother operation. As observed by many - the range device offers distinct improvements. Importantly, I could now separate tranny shift issues from AFM problems! With the Range, there are still a couple of minor blips in my A8, such as a sometimes noticeable downshift when arriving at a stop sign/light. But this problem was much worse when new.. which leads me to ATF.

ATF - My A8 has had 2 separate DIY fluid changes about 1000 miles apart with Mobil 1 LV ATF HP as recommended in the GM TSB 16-NA-175. (Mobil part number 122210). The fluid level check was carefully followed each time. Each change smoothed out the shifting and smoothness of the tranny.
I may be wrong, but I do have this opinion - - Changing out the original factory fluid with the Mobil 122210 LV ATF HP or the newer version (whatever that number may be) does no harm and can do quite a bit of good. The 'good' part is the possibility of smoother shifting operation and a preventative measure against future shudder problems. Even if the shifting is unchanged, the fresh fluid would seem to be a wise move given the A8 problems.
I will be considering a THIRD change if the reports for this 'new' fluid are positive.
If you have ever watched the video showing what it takes to do a TC/Tranny replacement, then you may have shuddered more than the A8 ever has!!! You just don't want that to have to happen.
You mentioned 2 DIY fluid changes, did u do it or someone else, care to share cost. Thanks
Old 01-04-2019, 10:27 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

I did the changes - about $120 for fluid, filter, and gasket.
bjones7131 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:51 PM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

My Range device arrived a couple of days ago and I plugged it in right away to confirm the version number. Got to take her out for a ride today in our unseasonably warm 45 degree sunny day. Went about 20 miles on local and expressway traffic. Ran great and it did seem to upshift and downshift more smoothly. No error codes. Happy camper.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 PM
dataporter
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

My Range arrived yesterday and I installed it today. I drove the car to work and back and really didn't feel any difference. I did watch and I did see that it never went into V4 mode.
I had a 2014 M7 and I maybe put it in ECO mode half a dozen times in 4 years, so I feel like why should my A8 go into V4 every time I lift the throttle?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone pulled the Range out while driving?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by dataporter
Just out of curiosity, has anyone pulled the Range out while driving?
Why in the world would you want to do that ? I have to believe that it cant be good ..
Do you shut your laptop down by pulling out the battery ...?
Dave
Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I can't think of a good reason to pull it out while driving but it shouldn't hurt anything.

The earlier version sometimes caused a CEL at startup (loss of communications between ECM and TCM DTC set) and Range set it up so that if you unplugged and plugged the Range in while the car was running it would clear the CEL. When I had the earlier version in my Z06 I used an OBD II extension cable with integrated power switch and turned the Range on after the car was running, a lot of us used that method to avoid the communications error but it isn't needed with the current Range software revision.
Dcasole (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:39 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by jversluis
Hey all those with a Range device. Just got mine and looking forward to trying it out soon. Any input from the gallery or hints would be great!
Hoping for a smoother A8! As my tranny is okay except when going in and out of V4. Very annoying!
What year is your car? My 2018 has nearly seemless transitions between V4 and V8 mode.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Right , but if you unplug a range that has NOT tripped the CEL because of loss of communication with the CAMBUS you surely will cause a CEL
With the old range device it was not recommended to switch it off or unplug it to clear a CEL while running , what the firmware did after a few revisions was if you shut the car off and then restarted it it would clear any CEL tripped as part of the boot up .....
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 AM
capehorn3
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Where are you folks buying these?

Get notified of new replies

To Just got my Range AFM

Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 AM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Range Technology.com
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by capehorn3
Where are you folks buying these?
Directly from Range , that way you know you have the latest firmware and you are not buying from some unauthorized seller

They ship fast !!
Dave
Old 01-10-2019, 11:57 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I will be looking into buying mine when it gets warmer around Chicagoland.

Quick Reply: Just got my Range AFM