Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer took C7 for joyride

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:52 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Most techs I've known over the years have zero desire to drive a customer's car unless required to to do in order to locate, repair, or ensure repair is correct.

Why? For the simple reason it costs them money.

Techs like to fix and move on to the next car because that's what makes them money. My Vette tech, for the last 30 years, has driven them all - from C1s to all iterations of ZR1s/ZR-1s. He wants them out of his stall with the next one in..... time is definitely money for techs.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4thC4at60:
malexand123 (01-01-2019), veech (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 12:57 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60

Most techs I've known over the years have zero desire to drive a customer's car...

Someone sure enjoyed the heck out of driving his for 148 miles...

Old 01-01-2019, 01:01 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Originally Posted by arturobandini
Okay, what do you think? I got my C7 back today from having the differential replaced. Mileage in: 1820. Mileage out: 1968. Someone put 148 miles on the car during the time it was at the dealer but testing could have only required a few miles drive back and forth from the freeway, about a five to eight mile round trip. There’s no way someone could have put that kind of mileage on in testing. At this point the deed is done and I guess I need to find another dealer. What would you do?
I agree, they owe you an explanation and as a result of your confronting management the tech/s responsible may get a little heat if justified. Personally, thought I wouldn't appropriate it I would be relieved and thankful they didn't do any damage to your C7.
We've certainly seen enough of those experiences on this forum.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I love my PDR. I put a fresh memory card in and put the car in Valet mode before I leave it with them. Then when I get it home I can watch to see where the car was driven and how much.
The following 2 users liked this post by Apocolips:
danh63 (01-04-2019), Waterdogg (06-12-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Most techs I've known over the years have zero desire to drive a customer's car unless required to to do in order to locate, repair, or ensure repair is correct.

Why? For the simple reason it costs them money.

Techs like to fix and move on to the next car because that's what makes them money. My Vette tech, for the last 30 years, has driven them all - from C1s to all iterations of ZR1s/ZR-1s. He wants them out of his stall with the next one in..... time is definitely money for techs.
This.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 01-01-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:04 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Before I'd blow up, I'd find out what the test procedure is for a Differential swap out. If there is a long mileage test and break in that has to be done, and the dealer exceeded it by a big number, I'd want answers (and a top off of my tank).

I'd be pissed if I thought someone was joy riding my car, but learned a long time ago to get my "ducks in a row" before accusing anyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1SG_Ret:
4thC4at60 (01-01-2019), rogergcam (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:05 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolips
I love my PDR. I put a fresh memory card in and put the car in Valet mode before I leave it with them. Then when I get it home I can watch to see where the car was driven and how much.
Can't any dealer just turn off the valet mode? I guess you could see it was turned off when they give it back, but still, you can't rely on that?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:38 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
When any of us leaves our car at any dealership for any reason, we should absolutely read VERY carefully what we sign.

A dealership near me, in the agreement, it states in black and white, not only is permission given for them to drive it, but additionally they are held harmless for any damage or accident they are in when they drive it, which means I am responsible for anything that happens while they drive my car.

I encourage all of you not only to READ what YOU are signing and WILL ABSOLUTELY be legally bound to when ANYTHING THEY CAUSE happens, but not only read it, but I also encourage you to strike through any of the language you do not agree with that you will be legally held to. Strike through anything you do not agree to, and initial it, and take out your phone and get a quick photo of what you signed, including what you struck through.

I guarantee you WILL be held to what you sign in the event of any problems the dealer causes. You do have the right to restrict them from driving your car without you accompanying them on any test drive.

Do you really think the person who gets to take your 460 or 650 horsepower C7 Corvette for a ride is not going to run it harder than you would EVER knowingly allow?

Um, if you don't know the answer to that, please, let me borrow your car this weekend.

Telling people to mark through those items in a repair order they do not agree with is unrealistic. They are written by attorneys and normally there are multiple organizations involved in looking at them for validity and to assure the dealers best interests. The legal staff of dealer computer companies who often print them, the state dealer groups, dealer's insurance carriers, and NADA are but a few usually involved. No competent dealership is gong to accept the vehicle for service after the customer finishes marking what he likes or does not like in the service agreement.

You are not going to find a dealership that is not concerned about unauthorized driving of customer cars. You would find most all have policies in place to prevent this happening but like every other business, there is always the possibility of someone being subject to temptation. Considering the millions of cars dealers service daily, the report of the problem happening are few and far between.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (01-03-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

Valid mode requires a password to turn off.
Apocolips (01-02-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Any Possiblity it was up on stands or a two post hoist and they broke new diff in by just letting a stationary car log miles?

Old 01-01-2019, 12:14 PM
SSBNVETT
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSBNVETT
When rebuilding or getting a new differential, they must be driven at least 50 miles or more, drained and oil replaced. I don't know what the exact GM procedure is but this is probably what they did.
???
Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

A ring & pinion does need to be broken in the gears need to "seat" if you just jump in a hammer it you will end up with a VERY noisy gear set. This is another reason C7's have the 500 mile "break in " i think the red line is 3500 - 4k during that time.

anyway...just let us know what reason they give you i doubt it was a joy ride.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:53 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Someone sure enjoyed the heck out of driving his for 148 miles...

We have ZERO idea of why that car was driven 148 miles. To say otherwise is disingenuous.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:16 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Well, as we've seen recently, a guy took his Z06 in for a software update, and caught a mechanic on PDR going for a joy ride - twice the speed limit, crossing over the center line.

When reported to GM, they couldn't care less as dealerships are privately owned.

Great customer service!
Old 01-01-2019, 01:17 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Well, 148 miles @ 60 MPH would have had someone in that car for nearly THREE hours. The realistic average speed would be some what less than that adding to the time someone was driving that car. I don't buy the "test drive"... the car went home with someone and was driven like a rental/loaner. I'd understand 48 miles but 148? Ponderous.....
Old 01-01-2019, 01:38 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by arturobandini

I talked to the service manager who said he’d talk to the mechanic. The mechanic seems like a right guy, so I think it was someone else who took it home or something else.

Watsonville Chevrolet, in Santa Cruz County, Calif.
It's a bit of a drive, but Able Chevrolet in Rio Vista is amazeballs, and they treat corvettes extremely well. Most folks I know in Nor Cal take their cars there, especially for complicated stuff.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:20 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I guess I will be in the minority here. If the dealer had the rear differential out of the car and either rebuilt it or replaced it you just don't slap it back in the car drive it around the block and call the customer and say it's done come and get it. The correct way is to take a short drive without any hard acceleration come back and let the car cool off. Then take the car out again for a little bit longer ride and let it sit again. Take the car again longer and a little faster let it sit again. Take the car on a good long drive at various speeds on and off the gas listening for pinion gear noise, posi chatter, whine, and clunking. If everything checks out ok drain the oil refill it and you should be done with no further problems.

Now if the dealer changed the differential didn't do the correct break in and just drove the car around the block and parked it for pickup. You are on the way home and the rear starts clunking or whining you would be screaming at the dealer for not fixing your car correctly? So putting 160 miles on your car and having it fix right what's seems to be the problem? When you trade or sell it how did that 160 miles affect your resale?
449er (01-03-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer took C7 for joyride

Old 01-01-2019, 03:34 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

The best I could see from this is for the dealer to throw you a bone; free oil change, discount on next service, etc.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:41 PM
xWS6guy
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I guess I will be in the minority here. If the dealer had the rear differential out of the car and either rebuilt it or replaced it you just don't slap it back in the car drive it around the block and call the customer and say it's done come and get it. The correct way is to take a short drive without any hard acceleration come back and let the car cool off. Then take the car out again for a little bit longer ride and let it sit again. Take the car again longer and a little faster let it sit again. Take the car on a good long drive at various speeds on and off the gas listening for pinion gear noise, posi chatter, whine, and clunking. If everything checks out ok drain the oil refill it and you should be done with no further problems.

Now if the dealer changed the differential didn't do the correct break in and just drove the car around the block and parked it for pickup. You are on the way home and the rear starts clunking or whining you would be screaming at the dealer for not fixing your car correctly? So putting 160 miles on your car and having it fix right what's seems to be the problem? When you trade or sell it how did that 160 miles affect your resale?
While your point about what is required after such a job is well taken, the majority of car owners don't know what is required after repairs. If a dealer is going to put 150 miles on a car and they know it is coming, they should give the owner a heads up. I doubt anyone wants someone driving their car for three hours unless there is a good reason to do so.

Last edited by xWS6guy; 01-01-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Can't any dealer just turn off the valet mode? I guess you could see it was turned off when they give it back, but still, you can't rely on that?
NOPE!!

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
Valet mode requires a password to turn off.
CORRECT!!

Terrific reasons to get PDR on your new Corvette. I'm fortunate that my bought new 2017 3LT C7
came with it..

Quick Reply: Dealer took C7 for joyride