Dealer took C7 for joyride

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 04:09 PM
ndnashlenz
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xWS6guy
While your point about what is required after such a job is well taken, the majority of car owners don't know what is required after repairs. If a dealer is going to put 150 miles on a car and they know it is coming, they should give the owner a heads up. I doubt anyone wants someone driving their car for three hours unless there is a good reason to do so.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:51 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Well, 148 miles @ 60 MPH would have had someone in that car for nearly THREE hours. The realistic average speed would be some what less than that adding to the time someone was driving that car. I don't buy the "test drive"... the car went home with someone and was driven like a rental/loaner. I'd understand 48 miles but 148? Ponderous.....
You think that, believe it, perhaps, but you don't know it for a fact - just conjecture.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM
wstafford
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Nobody's said it yet so I will. I think you should demand a new car to replace your molested corvette. Free oil changes for as long as you own the car and oh yea, at least one set of new tires, might as well throw in some new wheels too. It's not your wife or your daughter, it's just a car.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:43 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixgun95
What dealer...we should know.
I agree.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
I agree.
Post 17
Old 01-02-2019, 03:53 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
Post 17
whoops. my bad.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,990 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Definitely not cool...I see you spoke to the manager, so the best you can hope for are a few free oil changes. Enjoy!

Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 PM
arturobandini
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Before I'd blow up, I'd find out what the test procedure is for a Differential swap out. If there is a long mileage test and break in that has to be done, and the dealer exceeded it by a big number, I'd want answers (and a top off of my tank).

I'd be pissed if I thought someone was joy riding my car, but learned a long time ago to get my "ducks in a row" before accusing anyone.
I’m starting to see that the mechanic had to drive it a lot to figure out exactly where the sound was coming from. He used a Pico Scope, which helped him track it down. The tech was out today but the service manager said it took him many runs to narrow it down. However, I had 3/4 tank of gas going in and almost none coming out. The service manager agreed the tank should have been refilled and gave me a $50 credit on my next bill.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 PM
arturobandini
Instructor

Originally Posted by wstafford
Nobody's said it yet so I will. I think you should demand a new car to replace your molested corvette. Free oil changes for as long as you own the car and oh yea, at least one set of new tires, might as well throw in some new wheels too. It's not your wife or your daughter, it's just a car.
No need to get righteous.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:40 PM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Great news for you

Originally Posted by arturobandini

I’m starting to see that the mechanic had to drive it a lot to figure out exactly where the sound was coming from. He used a Pico Scope, which helped him track it down. The tech was out today but the service manager said it took him many runs to narrow it down. However, I had 3/4 tank of gas going in and almost none coming out. The service manager agreed the tank should have been refilled and gave me a $50 credit on my next bill.

thanks for the update and I was just about to ask did they refill it?

I am glad you will get something out the dealer.I don’t think they meant harm but a good explanation of the service procedure before they completed the repair would have been in order.

We all love our cars and make sure you hold them to that $50.00 off your next oil change or air filter replacement.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:01 PM
xWS6guy
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

That would be good enough for me. Glad to hear you have a resolution.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I thought the driver had to start the PDR recording each time the car is started. Not so in valet mode?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

So is the car fixed now and the noise gone at the diff? Did you have a warble / fluttering sound?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
I thought the driver had to start the PDR recording each time the car is started. Not so in valet mode?
Valet Mode automatically turns on PDR.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:16 AM
arturobandini
Instructor

Originally Posted by c54u
So is the car fixed now and the noise gone at the diff? Did you have a warble / fluttering sound?
Yes. Gone. GM told the mechanic that it’s a known issue that occurs rarely. The differential make a warbling sound at around 70 mph when it is trying to change into the eighth gear. It’s quite loud but does not affect functionality. Purely a sound issue. But it’s a sound I would rather not have.
The following users liked this post:
c54u (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:31 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
When any of us leaves our car at any dealership for any reason, we should absolutely read VERY carefully what we sign.

A dealership near me, in the agreement, it states in black and white, not only is permission given for them to drive it, but additionally they are held harmless for any damage or accident they are in when they drive it, which means I am responsible for anything that happens while they drive my car.

I encourage all of you not only to READ what YOU are signing and WILL ABSOLUTELY be legally bound to when ANYTHING THEY CAUSE happens, but not only read it, but I also encourage you to strike through any of the language you do not agree with that you will be legally held to. Strike through anything you do not agree to, and initial it, and take out your phone and get a quick photo of what you signed, including what you struck through.

I guarantee you WILL be held to what you sign in the event of any problems the dealer causes. You do have the right to restrict them from driving your car without you accompanying them on any test drive.

Do you really think the person who gets to take your 460 or 650 horsepower C7 Corvette for a ride is not going to run it harder than you would EVER knowingly allow?

Um, if you don't know the answer to that, please, let me borrow your car this weekend.

i am sure you are right about the language in the repair/service contract and I’m also sure all dealers and/or repair shops have similar language. So not signing it means you can never bring your car in for service or repair. They certainly will not let you cross out certain language before signing it either.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-03-2019 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Excellent result. Glad you got a reasonable explanation (and it makes sense), and didn't go in angry. The gas fill up should have been done as a courtesy IMO, and now is. $50 gift card is a nice bonus. Happy motoring in 2019 and beyond.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer took C7 for joyride

Old 01-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I think many times mechs don't invest enough time investigating before replacing parts. Given they drive responsibility I wouldn't give a **** how much they drive it to fix it properly.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Satisfactory explanation. Communicating that upfront or even when he came to pick it up would have been much better.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:20 PM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

The disclaimer on the service orders at my local dealership only exclude damage caused by theft of the vehicle or fire while it is sitting on their lot. It does not hold them harmless from damages caused by their employees either while working on the car or operating it.

Quick Reply: Dealer took C7 for joyride