Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A differential needs to be broken in...Is 168 miles too much? Maybe not in this case, they didn't just do an oil change here
Old 01-03-2019, 05:12 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

So this was completely legit? This mirrors my experience of service: most people working in service really want to do a good job and will be happy to explain any misunderstandings. With the increased complexity of vehicles the fly by night guys of yore can't even get into the game.

The last time I had a bad service experience was with the original Omni (late 1970s) when the mechanics were just changing over to front drive--and the car wasn't that great.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:16 PM
arturobandini
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Update: I talked to the mechanic today, who said he put 40 miles on it. So there’s a disparity and no one was able to account for the 100 mile difference. I went on three test drives before the mechanic heard the noise. That could not have accounted for more than 20 miles. I don’t really care that there are more miles on it. I would have put more on in regular driving. I just don’t like the idea of someone who I don’t know driving it. I keep my car immaculate and who knows how a stranger would treat it. It’s basically an invasion of privacy. Maybe the analogy would be a stranger sleeping in your bed or breaking into your home.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Arturo, take that information from the mechanic to the general manager of the dealership! I'd definitely want to get to the bottom of this.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Before everyone goes apeshit, a couple of thoughts.
First is, I would be livid. Who would not?
Having said that, a couple miles along 95th st is probably not a good maint ride for a trans swap. This Tech probably spent a good part of his day wrenching this squawk. Maybe deserves a chance to properly drive test. Mgr. perhaps approved a trip home and back to flight test it.
The problem is the service writer should have shared this with owner to explain and secure approval. Without it absolitely unacceptable.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by arturobandini
Update: I talked to the mechanic today, who said he put 40 miles on it. So there’s a disparity and no one was able to account for the 100 mile difference. I went on three test drives before the mechanic heard the noise. That could not have accounted for more than 20 miles. I don’t really care that there are more miles on it. I would have put more on in regular driving. I just don’t like the idea of someone who I don’t know driving it. I keep my car immaculate and who knows how a stranger would treat it. It’s basically an invasion of privacy. Maybe the analogy would be a stranger sleeping in your bed or breaking into your home.

Sounds like you should learn to work on your own car then.

I also think there's more info not being relayed here.....was the milage accounted for incorrectly upon dropping it off? i dunno just seems like random info given here in this thread.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I recently had my dealer do an oil change and I requested that I BE PRESENT IN THE CAR WHEN THE VETTE TECH test drove the car to diagnose a balky shifter problem the car had from new. (I am the only owner) The car disappeared from the dealership for an hour...came back with the radio tuned to a Hip Hop station (I left the radio off) and the AC blasting. It had been driven by "the transmission guy" not the Vette specific technician at all. They said it felt "normal". Needless to say I have never returned to that place.

This is the one thing I hate about Corvette ownership....overall, the vast number of Corvette service departments are really bad. We have owned new Audis (4 so far) and the dealer service excellence THERE is as good as it gets. Different cultures...different priorities.

Quick Reply: Dealer took C7 for joyride