Sponsored by:

C7 Grand Sport clutch bite point rising

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Mehrlovin
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default C7 Grand Sport clutch bite point rising

Hi All - I have a 2018 GS with a manual transmission and I'm a little unnerved that the bite point on the clutch has traveled up a little bit a couple of times. The last time I had this happen in a car it got really high and then eventually the clutch went out. Has anyone noticed this bite point moving up from about mid way to about 2/3rds up on the clutch pedal? I don't track and I am just shocked the clutch appears to be wearing. My stick shift driving is not the best but I went to Ron Fellows Corvette Owners school and did fine there with a GS M7. Only very occasionally on some upward hills have I smelled a tiny bit of clutch burn.

Other threads seem to imply the clutch should last the life of the car or at least a very long time. Its unfortunately also very expensive to replace and not covered under warranty. I use Rev Matching and the hinden start to get going where I can as the folks at Ron Fellows seemed to think that preserves clutch life. Pictures of the OEM clutch show a substantial amount of the wear material (1/4 inch thick) so it should last.

Any recommendations or observations appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-01-2019, 11:14 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

If you get any clutch “BURN” smell at any time, you are slipping the clutch & it will get worse to the point of failure. JMHO
Old 01-04-2019, 02:55 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mehrlovin
Hi All - I have a 2018 GS with a manual transmission and I'm a little unnerved that the bite point on the clutch has traveled up a little bit a couple of times. The last time I had this happen in a car it got really high and then eventually the clutch went out. Has anyone noticed this bite point moving up from about mid way to about 2/3rds up on the clutch pedal? I don't track and I am just shocked the clutch appears to be wearing. My stick shift driving is not the best but I went to Ron Fellows Corvette Owners school and did fine there with a GS M7. Only very occasionally on some upward hills have I smelled a tiny bit of clutch burn.

Other threads seem to imply the clutch should last the life of the car or at least a very long time. Its unfortunately also very expensive to replace and not covered under warranty. I use Rev Matching and the hinden start to get going where I can as the folks at Ron Fellows seemed to think that preserves clutch life. Pictures of the OEM clutch show a substantial amount of the wear material (1/4 inch thick) so it should last.

Any recommendations or observations appreciated. Thanks
It sounds kind of strange and it's either a warranty issue or you just need more time to get used to it.

The thing is, are you slipping the clutch a lot before you fully engage? I don't know what your experience with stick shift is, but less experienced drivers tend to hold the clutch in relatively too long and slip it because they are afraid of stalling. If you have access, drive another C7 M7 and see if it feels the same to you. If you rule out your own driving, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. If there is a real issue, they would repair it under warranty.
should take it to the dealer and let them know the problem and have them repair it under warranty.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 975 Likes on 531 Posts

Personally after a couple thousand miles my clutch was much smoother than when it was new. It was very grabby at first which is a trait of a twin clutch design. As stated the rev match helps smooth out shifting up or down.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

So I paid close attention to the clutch when I drove earlier and the fully engaged point is higher than 1/2 way up. I don't know about the exact percentage but if everything else works perfect then you have nothing to worry about. Maybe initially you thought it was 1/2 way up because that's when its barely starting to catch. But if you just drop the clutch from that point, it would be a very rough shift. The clean engagement point is a bit higher and when you get more experience with it, you'll be able to get to it instantly instead of feeling for it if that makes sense.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Mehrlovin
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

So quick update from the dealer. They said it was fine. I like it when the clutch is lower but I think it moves up naturally. My point of view was a little skewed because I just got back from Spring Mountain and the clutch bite point was very low on a GS with 10k miles. But they also said they replace the clutches there at a unsubstantially faster rate. I am thinking that even though that car had 10,000 miles on it, it had already been replaced. Mine was like that too when new but I think it just moves up naturally as past the break in point. The reality is I don't know what its like on a used 30,000 normally worn clutch so I have no idea what the proper bite point actually is. If its like this, then its quite forgiving. I can't imagine that I am a terrible clutch driver and I know when I am slipping it and to stop. I guess we'll see in 20,000 miles

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Grand Sport clutch bite point rising

Quick Reply: C7 Grand Sport clutch bite point rising