Automatic convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:19 PM
stevenpeter
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic convertible top

Good Afternoon

I just picked up a 2018 Stingray Convertible Arctic white, red interior, black wheels with red stripe. LOVING IT.

Yesterday while lowering the convertible top, I accidentally took my finger off button and the top continued to lower on its own. Today while putting it back up, I did the same thing and again, it put the top back up WITHOUT holding the button down.

No where in the manual does it mention this feature. I held the button for about 1-2 seconds and then released it.

;-)

Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,575 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Wow, on my 14, if I release the button, the top stops...
Old 01-04-2019, 02:58 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Did you buy it used? Maybe the previous owner installed a SmartTOP module.

http://www.mods4cars.com/blog/smartt...now-available/
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 03:01 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Did you buy it used? Maybe the previous owner installed a SmartTOP module.

http://www.mods4cars.com/blog/smartt...now-available/

Yup, sounds like SmartTop is installed on the car. Don't knock it! It'll save the FOB battery big time.

If there is a SmartTop installed, it can be programmed manually OR you can hook up a laptop to the control module located under the waterfall. I have the manual instructions if you'd like to see for sure if SmartTop is installed .

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 01-04-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:20 PM
stevenpeter
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure. I bought it with 7000 miles on it. It has dual exhaust, carbon package, 2LT. I will take photos this weekend and post. And sure, if anyone can tell me where to find if a module was installed. THANK YOU
Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Roastum1
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I think behind the waterfall
Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Here are the "Manual" instructions. Try to do these and if the lights respond as described in the procedure, you have the SmartTop installed.

Programming:

(1) Get in the car. Make sure the top is up (closed). Turn on the ignition.

(2) Press and hold the top side of the dashboard top control button for 4-5 seconds. The left blinker light will flash once indicating you have entered SmartTop programming mode and are ready to change settings for function #1. Pressing the bottom side to the dashboard top control button changes the setting for the function you're on (in this case, function #1).

Function #1 is SmartTop on (active) or off (disabled). Pressing the bottom side of the dash top control button changes the toggle on/off. So when you press the bottom side of the button, the left blinker light on the dash will flash once (indicating you're programming function #1), and the right hand blinker light will then flash once indicating you have SmartTop on (active). Pressing the bottom side of the button again will flash the left blinker light once and the right blinker light will not flash (indicating function #1 is off - SmartTop is off/disabled).

(3) To go on and program function #2, press the top side of the dashboard top control button. The left blinker light will flash twice indicating you're on function #2, and the right blinker light will then flash the number of times corresponding to the setting currently selected for that function. Change the setting for the function by pressing the bottom side of the dashboard top control button. The dashboard blinker lights will flash accordingly.

(4) In the current version of the SmartTop module, there are only 3 functions to program for the C7, so pressing the top side of dash control button will take you from function #2 to function #3, and repeated presses will take you back through the functions #1 through #3. To exit programming mode, simply turn off the ignition.

The control module is under the waterfall in the very center. There is also a item the fits into the DTC that will raise and lower your windows. See if something is plugged in there. The dealer might have removed it so only the top function of the unit is in the car. I have the window control too. It lowers the windows when the top goes down and the after the top goes up, it raises both windows to a closed position.

Elmer
Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I always use the Up/Down rocker switch on the dashboard to raise/lower top. I keep the button depressed with the engine running - always. Are you saying that the dashboard rocker switch may not need to be depressed the entire time? Just a press and release once the cycle starts? I bought my 2017 vert new.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I always use the Up/Down rocker switch on the dashboard to raise/lower top. I keep the button depressed with the engine running - always. Are you saying that the dashboard rocker switch may not need to be depressed the entire time? Just a press and release once the cycle starts? I bought my 2017 vert new.

A Stock convertible must have the button pressed the entire time the top is moving. When you hear the beep, you can release the button. On a SmartTop equipped car, a quick push at the bottom/top of the "top" button will move the top down/up and windows go fully down/up. You do not need to hold the button the entire time. Same thing for the FOB, once you start the top, up or down, you do not have to hold the FOB button on the FOB during the entire movement. Advantage is less FOB battery drain AND the SmartTop will raise the TOP and close the windows with the FOB which is something you can't do without the SmartTop..

Elmer
Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Roastum1
Instructor

Old 01-05-2019, 10:44 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

SmartTop is $439.00

Last edited by GARYFINN; 01-05-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Roastum1
Instructor

Old 01-05-2019, 10:57 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
SmartTop is $439.00
Worth every penny!

Wish I had gotten it sooner. I love being able to raise the top remotely and shut the windows.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:01 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
SmartTop is $439.00

No where in my reply did I indicate that it was free. I personally think it is worth the money.

Elmer
Old 01-05-2019, 11:05 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Also, if you have a "Range" unit and the SmartTop, you have a conflict because the window control unit for the SmartTop goes on the same plug as the "Range" unit. To get them both to work, you'll need to get a splitter plug that connects to the DTC and gives 2 plugs for the 2 devices to function simultaneously.

Elmer
Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

For $439 I will keep my finger on the button an extra 20 seconds since I’m not going anywhere until the top is opened or closed anyhow.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
For $439 I will keep my finger on the button an extra 20 seconds since I’m not going anywhere until the top is opened or closed anyhow.
That is true. It is also a possibility that you are 50' from your car and it's dumping water from the sky like beer out of a boot into your top down parked car. I'm sure that it won't make any difference that you can't put the top up remotely and close the windows afterward as far as how much water will get into your car (AKA retention pond) before you can get to the button on the dash and sit in the rain as the top comes up.

BUT...... You do have the choice to stay stock.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic convertible top

Old 01-05-2019, 12:49 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
That is true. It is also a possibility that you are 50' from your car and it's dumping water from the sky like beer out of a boot into your top down parked car. I'm sure that it won't make any difference that you can't put the top up remotely and close the windows afterward as far as how much water will get into your car (AKA retention pond) before you can get to the button on the dash and sit in the rain as the top comes up.

BUT...... You do have the choice to stay stock.

Elmer
Well now Elmer I have over 30 years of owning a total of 10 convertibles, with 5 being Vettes and I never lost any sleep about getting a sudden monsoon to drown my car. I'm either near enough but if any doubt about weather the top and windows are up or its in my garage!.

I always use the inside button with engine running to move top as that system uses a lot of power.

Up till my 15 all my other Vettes were manual tops, that includes my special ordered 05. (museum delivery) I have no problem putting the manual tops up and down and in fact could do it faster than the power top people could. I proved that a bunch of times including twice at Carlisle, won a free diner on that bet! !. Of course the one advantage the power people had they could do it at slow road speeds, where I had to stop jump out and do the operation manually!

I really enjoy top down driving and as we only have a 6 month season up here in Northern NY, the top is down much more that it is up. I have actually been asked "does that car have a roof!''?

Last edited by 6spdC6; 01-05-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:52 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Well now Elmer I have over 30 years of owning a total of 10 convertibles, with 5 being Vettes and I never lost any sleep about getting a sudden monsoon to drown my car. I'm either near enough but if any doubt about weather the top and windows are up or its in my garage!.

I always use the inside button with engine running to move top as that system uses a lot of power.

Up till my 15 all my other Vettes were manual tops, that includes my special ordered 05. (museum delivery) I have no problem putting the manual tops up and down and in fact could do it faster than the power top people could. I proved that a bunch of times including twice at Carlisle, won a freed diner on that bet! !. Of course the one advantage the power people had they could do it at slow road speeds, where I had to stop jump out and do the operation manually!

I really enjoy top down driving and as we only have a 6 month season up here in Northern NY, the top is down much more that it is up. I have actually been asked "does that car have a roof!''?

Don't move to Florida. We drive year round and often with tops down and it rains pretty much everyday in the summer at 4PM or so. The gentleman preferred to have the car stock and I gave an example of a condition that you might benefit from the SmartTop device. I have found it to be very handy down here in the sunshine state.

Elmer
Old 01-05-2019, 12:56 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
No where in my reply did I indicate that it was free. I personally think it is worth the money.

Elmer
I bought my SmartTop when it first came out and was discounted, and yes it was expensive and worth it, like you said. Especially when putting the top up while moving (hey it happens--e.g., sitting in traffic top down, didn't think it was gonna rain but it does). Stock, you're steering with your right hand while holding the top switch with your left, and then having to push the window switch buttons up.

I'm surprised the former owner left it in the OP's C7. I would have taken it out and resold it (should be very easy to find a buyer even at a $100).

Quick Reply: Automatic convertible top