Sponsored by:

Why all the rants about too much power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

So I guess ranting may be too strong of a word. How about comments? So you believe that your 450hp is enough and 650 or 755 it just to brag about? That’s all I’m getting at. What makes you right and why? That’s all I’m asking.
And why did you get a z06 if horsepower is so important to you? There are many cars with more HP than a z06, including the top level vette.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

I think you have me mixed up with someone else. Not a word I’d use.
You are correct. My bad. It was another user I confused the screen names.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:43 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
You are correct. My bad. It was another user I confused the screen names.
No worries. I try not to offend anyone. Just like good conversation.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:46 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
I think I just explained why I feel 460 hp on the street is enough for me - which part didn't you understand?
I get that it’s right for you. However you went on to say that if one doesn’t take it to the strip it’s for bragging rights.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

And why did you get a z06 if horsepower is so important to you? There are many cars with more HP than a z06, including the top level vette.
Well I got my Z06 before the ZR1 came out. I don’t like the looks of the ZR1 so unless they grow on me I won’t own one. The Z06 is the best bang for the money IMO for the power. It’s easily modded for plenty more power if needed. When a 911 turbo S or Mclaren 720s is in my budget I will move on. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Well I got my Z06 before the ZR1 came out. I don’t like the looks of the ZR1 so unless they grow on me I won’t own one. The Z06 is the best bang for the money IMO for the power. It’s easily modded for plenty more power if needed. When a 911 turbo S or Mclaren 720s is in my budget I will move on. Hope that makes sense.
why settle for a 911 or 720s when you can have a Hennessy Venom
Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

To each their own. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to the various Vette models. There is no wrong answer when it comes to the body style or the amount of horsepower or torque that someone prefers. I didn't think my '93 Coupe (300 hp/340 lb.-ft.) or my '97 Coupe (345 hp/350 lb.-ft.) lacked power when I owned them. I sold the '97 in Feb. '02.

After not owning a Vette for 16.5 years I decided to buy an '18 Z06 M7 at the end of last July. I've liked the wide body look ever since it came out on the C6s & if I was going to buy another Vette I WANTED one with the most power I could buy. Does anyone need 650 hp to drive up & down the street, no, but it sure can be a lot of fun. I also don't really need the Z07 pkg.(including the CCBs) or the carbon fiber dash trim but that's the way the car I bought was equipped and I'm happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
SuperdadZ06 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 12:31 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs

I dunno what it is about this forum, but I'm on several other car forums and I don't see the blatant animosity that I see here. We're all Corvette owners; we share the same passion, so I don't really get it.

I've met many people in person form other car forums and made some great friends. Hoping I will later this year with my Corvette as well...

You'll like the Toronto area Corvette guys, there are some crazy characters that are a ton of fun to hang out with!
Old 01-07-2019, 12:42 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
why settle for a 911 or 720s when you can have a Hennessy Venom
It’s not all about power. I have the Z06 because it’s the bargain car. It’s awesome for the price 👍🏻
Old 01-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
some of you guys should try to drive a 60-70's muscle car,,300-450hp,bias tires,,no ABS or nannys,rain,snow,,we drove em every day

we didn't have extra cars
My first car back in '85 was '69 Mustang with sloppy steering (you could turn the wheel a 1/4 turn left or right & you were still going straight, ), drum brakes, & no seat belts. Well, it had seat belts but since they were manual (i.e separate lap belt with a separate should belt that wasn't on a retracting mechanism) they never got used. Heck, I didn't even have A/C other than good old 260 A/C (2 windows down & 60 mph). Seven months after buying it the engine blew up so I had it rebuilt (dad picked up the tab) & upped the power (bored .030 over, street/strip cam, forged pistons, etc...etc....). I drove it everyday year around even through snow & ice (occasionally I would put a couple of 50 lbs. salt bags in the trunk over each rear wheel for extra traction).

During my junior/senior year a large number of kids from 3 different high schools, including myself, used to illegally street race. For whatever reason a large number of us had late '60s/early '70s muscle cars as our first cars. We got chased around by the police & received plenty of tickets. All of us had some close calls & we were lucky that we made it through unscathed. But in one aspect driving/racing those old cars was a good experience since we learned how to handle a rear wheel drive car with power, cars which didn't particularly handle well, steer well, brake well, & didn't have nannies of any kind. Compared to modern cars it amazes how we were able to do the things we did at high speeds in those cars but at the time it didn't seem to be a big deal.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I do agree with you here, having been active on more than a half dozen performance car forums over the years. This one definitely has the highest "nasty" quotient and the lowest apparent IQ, judging exclusively from the overall quality of the written word.

Obviously, there are many here I do have a high degree of respect for based upon the intelligent way they express themselves in posts. It's just a lower percentage here than other places I'm used to.
Sadly I have to agree with both you and Flex. It's really too bad, but there aren't many other options either.

On a side note, one of the nicest forums I've ever been on is the Bennington forum. That forum has some of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever seen.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sconn:
Foosh (01-07-2019), V Vette (01-07-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:04 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

That's very true, but still just not my crowd. When I see a person wearing a MAGA hat, I can't get past that either.
That is very sad. Sad you can not get past some one who has a different point of view than you. That is a whole lot of what is wrong with this country.

I do not agree with the left point of view, yet I have many friends on the Far left. I can understand we come from different back grounds, and different areas of the country which will shape ones view.

SuperdadZ06 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:08 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

That's very true, but still just not my crowd. When I see a person wearing a MAGA hat, I can't get past that either.
As perfect an example of a bigoted, self-righteous post as you'll ever read on this forum from a smug, supercilious pettifogger. Did I leave out snob?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:47 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

I get that it’s right for you. However you went on to say that if one doesn’t take it to the strip it’s for bragging rights.
After a certain point, what else are you doing with 600-700 hp on the street, lol?

Are you a street racer? If not, how often are you using that horsepower? Some are saying they need it for passing - what are you trying to pass on the street that you can't pass with 460 hp? Where are you consistently, or even occasionally, using 600-700 hp on the street without losing your license at some point?

Look, I get it, I used to chase HP too, it just feels nice knowing you have it, but ultimately is just about bragging rights because you're almost never using that type of horsepower on the street. And again, to each his own, if someone wants a 1000 hp street car, then go buy it and enjoy it. But at a certain point, you're getting diminished returns in terms of performance for HP, especially on the street assuming you want to keep your license and not end up inside a tree. That's what I mean by bragging rights - it just makes you feel good in your own head that you have that horsepower even if you're almost never using it.

Last edited by kennyjames21; 01-08-2019 at 10:47 AM.
V Vette (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

After a certain point, what else are you doing with 600-700 hp on the street, lol?

Are you a street racer? If not, how often are you using that horsepower? Some are saying they need it for passing - what are you trying to pass on the street that you can't pass with 460 hp? Where are you consistently, or even occasionally, using 600-700 hp on the street without losing your license at some point?

Look, I get it, I used to chase HP too, it just feels nice knowing you have it, but ultimately is just about bragging rights because you're almost never using that type of horsepower on the street. And again, to each his own, if someone wants a 1000 hp street car, then go buy it and enjoy it. But at a certain point, you're getting diminished returns in terms of performance for HP, especially on the street assuming you want to keep your license and not end up inside a tree. That's what I mean by bragging rights - it just makes you feel good in your own head that you have that horsepower even if you're almost never using it.
I guess for me it’s not the HP. It’s the torque that the LT4 puts out in the low RPMS. It actually pulls hard. So that’s not for bragging. It’s for enjoyment 👍🏻 I understand your view on chasing HP numbers. Been there and done that.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The torque the LT1 puts out down low is impressive, and it pulls quite hard, in fact more than the tires can handle. Have you ever looked at the torque curve? Given the difference in tire sizes I'd venture to guess to it takes an equal amount throttle modulation to maintain traction in both a Stingray and a Z06. As I said before, I have no problem breaking the tires loose in the first 3 gears, which means there's more torque than necessary for max acceleration.

The "I prefer it for low-end torque" argument is a fallacious one.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-08-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Fogboundturtle (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

The torque the LT1 puts out down low is impressive, and it pulls quite hard, in fact more than the tires can handle. Have you ever looked at the torque curve? Given the difference in tire sizes I'd venture to guess to it takes an equal amount throttle modulation to maintain traction in both a Stingray and a Z06. As I said before, I have no problem breaking the tires loose in the first 3 gears, which means there's more torque than necessary for max acceleration.

Even Motortrend came to the conclusion that the Grand Sport was just overall better driving or on the track/raod compare to the Z06 because the weight/grip to power ratio was perfectly balance while the Z06 was a little too wild even for Randy Pobst.

I think HP is very seductive and addictive. The sound is in enthralling and that what the Z06 owner love about their car. There is nothing wrong with that but please stop the delusion that you "Need" that much on the street. That's is just ridiculous. Tell us you "want" that much and I will believe you.

Get notified of new replies

To Why all the rants about too much power?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Okay you win. Not going to argue. Sounds like we are both happy with what we chose.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I have to disagree with you there. The LT4 makes 200 more foot pounds of torque than the LT1, you are definitely going to feel that!! At any rpm and any throttle position, it's going to be more responsive and feel more powerful than the LT1, without a doubt. To get the same level of acceleration of an LT4 at 25% throttle, you'd probably have to be at 50% throttle or greater in the LT1 (this is just a rough example, but it's just another way of illustrating my point)

Torque just "feels good", that's why the L98 Corvettes felt so much faster than they really were, because they made a lot of torque down low, so the instant you touched the gas things started happening.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:21 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 605 Posts

So true!! Torque curve of LT1 and LS7 lay on top of each other up until around 4,500 RPM, if my memory serves me correctly.

Quick Reply: Why all the rants about too much power?