Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 MPH on valet video

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure how much time has passed between the incident and the post but wouldn’t it be funny if YOU received an electronic
speeding ticket in the mail. Then you would really have a bitch!
The following users liked this post:
koreanbeefcake (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Even though it appears no real harm took place... I can tell you that the dealerships service manager would like to know that this happened.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
So then in your mind, the entire organization along with each employee, and each employees family, should all suffer because taking your business elsewhere wont satiate your personal animus ? Do you think its impossible that the extended road test in question might have been necessary to duplicate the conditions the customer is complaining about ? Is burning the entire organization to the ground the best course of action without absolute certainty of the total circumstances ? Do you think the act of not firing the tech in question means that the entire organization, along with the families of each employee, all deserve to be deprived of that which they depend on?

Or do you think your personal proclivity towards malevolence might prevent you from making a good decision when confronted with things you don't understand ?
I love this line. Thanks! Of course, I've been looking to satiate my personal animus for years.
PatternDayTrader (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
I love this line. Thanks! Of course, I've been looking to satiate my personal animus for years.
Lol …
The pendulum swings both ways.
Things get better as long as you remember the line between good and bad runs through the center of your own mind, and all you have to do is notice which side is operative. Works for me anyway ….
Old 01-15-2019, 12:25 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Did you ever personally speak with the service mgr?
What was their response?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:56 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Flat rate pay scales do not account for proper road test time, which is why so many repair orders are closed with the simple phrase "could not duplicate condition at this time". The true meaning of that phrase is " I'm not spending the proper amount of time on this job, because I'm not working for free".
I’ve gotten the “could not duplicate” diagnosis previously, and, was annoyed cuz it was easy to duplicate. I appreciate you sharing this “nugget of reality”.

I presume when/if techs are paid hourly, they will take excessive time (and extra long road tests (and stopping at the bread store)).

Last edited by ZMMMMM; 01-15-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Not sure how much time has passed between the incident and the post but wouldn’t it be funny if YOU received an electronic
speeding ticket in the mail. Then you would really have a bitch!
It's been about 3.5 weeks since the incident happened... but that would be funny.

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Even though it appears no real harm took place... I can tell you that the dealerships service manager would like to know that this happened.
The service manager has been made aware.

Originally Posted by orca1946
Did you ever personally speak with the service mgr?
What was their response?
I spoke to the service manager and one of general managers of the dealership (family owned, father and sons I believe all run the place).
All he said was that he can only apologize and assure me that the tech and the service manager "have been dealt with"

I don't care to 'burn the place down', not sure what I really care to do about all this. I will go to another dealer for oil changes and warranty work. Luckily there are several to choose from in my area.

It's funny to read all the replies to this thread, every human being is different, everyone says they would respond in a different way.

Mike Mercury (01-17-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:01 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

The way you protect yourself from joy riding mechanics or other dealer employees, is to take the car in with the low fuel light on.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I used to work at a car dealership. This sort of thing happened. That 92 mph ride was a joyride and nothing more. Somebody who didn’t need to be driving your car was taking it out for fun and to grab lunch. It’s terribly disrespectful.
Mike Mercury (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 04:28 AM
dial666
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Its weird that they are supposed to know all about Corvettes (certified techs, and all), yet they have no knowledge that a PDR exists? That would be the second reason to move on to next dealer.
That being said, 92 MPH is half the top speed of your Vette, so it's really not a big deal, is it? Like a tech driving a Cruze at 65 mph.
unless he blasted through a speed camera and the ticket shows up at your house a month from now for 3 bills minimum .. i would be pissed
Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

If you really want to get even just find out their dealership insurance carrier. They might be very interested in how they conduct business and exposure to liabilities.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:09 AM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by stief
This is really where we are? Blatant disrespect for people and their property is ok because you should expect it, it wasn't that fast, or its not that big of a deal? Bullshit. It may be only a Chevy and yea its only a car, but its my car. That ive busted my *** for. Apparently some of you silver spoon ***** have forgotten how hard it can be to have and keep nice things. And people wonder why the corvette crowd is stereotyped as ********.
Apparantly you have forgotton how hard it is reign in the unnecessary name calling when you run out of constructive things to say. I wonder about people who harbor such stereotypes.
dvilin (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 AM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

I personally dont understand the level of disrespect for each others opinions on this forum, too many nasty, cranky folks for me. Having said that it is still worth the journey because there are some great people willing to give great advice. In this case I would look around and find the very best Vette tech you can within a reasonable distance of your house and use him. I found mine on this forum and take good care of him which gives me piece of mind when I have to take it in.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by stief
This is really where we are? Blatant disrespect for people and their property is ok because you should expect it, it wasn't that fast, or its not that big of a deal? Bullshit. It may be only a Chevy and yea its only a car, but its my car. That ive busted my *** for. Apparently some of you silver spoon ***** have forgotten how hard it can be to have and keep nice things. And people wonder why the corvette crowd is stereotyped as ********.
Everyone reacts differently to things like this, it has nothing to do with the amount of income/money someone has. Some people get all worked up & others think whatever it's just a car. I personally wouldn't be happy about a tech needlessly joyriding in my car at 90+ mph but if my car wasn't damaged I wouldn't make a big deal about it. I simply wouldn't go back to that dealership again. BTW, I'm just a middle class guy who is not close to being in the 'silver spoon ****' class.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:42 PM
mcioci
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
I'd mention it to a service manager. They would (and should) be concerned about it from a liability / insurance stand point...if there is no damage to the car, I'd be more pissed about someone taking food in my car! ****, I realize but still a road test is one thing, a food run for personal reasons is another.
I agree. what if someone parked next to the vette and opened the door and gave it a door ding? irresponsible.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM
miss peel
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you trust your dealer and tech, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I tell my tech if he needs to take the car out for a hard test drive, please do so, I don't want to tow it 300 miles to find out I still have a problem, thus out the cost of a weekend track event. I do know my tech personally. and always go back and say hi when I'm at the dealer. Make an effort to get to know who works on your Vette.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
I used to work at a car dealership. This sort of thing happened. That 92 mph ride was a joyride and nothing more. Somebody who didn’t need to be driving your car was taking it out for fun and to grab lunch. It’s terribly disrespectful.
Maybe it's not a valid thought, but I know how I'd feel if the car I took to the dealer for their "safe keeping and respectful care" went on that 92 mph ride.

Worse than that, I really don't think I could live with the car---even if it was fully repaired--- but it had been in a serious, or fatal accident that left people injured, or worse.

Sure, I didn't do it, but the car, under the supposed care of the father and sons' dealer ownership DID allow my car to be used in that way, for that purpose and the result was disastrous. I would not drive that car again.

Just me thinking out loud. Different people will do different things

Get notified of new replies

To 92 MPH on valet video

Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 PM
Texas1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Seems to me this dealership manager is just giving you lip service about his care for your car. There is a history of issues and he is aware of them, but they continue to happen?

Is this dealer active of Facebook? Are you? Post the video to Facebook and tag them. I’d be curious to see if that changes their level of concern.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Tim Dufrene
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a big deal But i wish that GM or the owners of the dealerships would send at least two of their tec. to the Ron Fellows performance driving school end stead of the sales personnel the machanics are the ones that work on these cars. after looking at your RPM 4000 rpm anit nothing for these cars . on the down side these car are fast 460HP they will get away from you most drivers are not used to that. getting it up to 90 was a good idea in my book he wanted to know if car would stop , i would ask for free oil changes
Old 01-23-2019, 08:56 AM
stief
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

It just blows my mind that so many people are ok with subpar and questionable service. If you read the " yet another dealer did X" threads, the eh it doesnt matter attitude rules. How does that happen? Yes, it is just a car. Yes, nothing terrible happens usually. Ridiculous. When you go to a nice steak house, are you happy with fast food service and quality? If you have someone do work on your house, are you satisfied with a halfass job? Whats the difference? I'm paying for quality service and work. I expect quality service and work.

Last edited by stief; 01-23-2019 at 08:58 AM.
AORoads (01-23-2019)

Quick Reply: 92 MPH on valet video