Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Youngest Stingray Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

I’m an entrepreneur and own two companies. Thankfully they are both doing very well and I can afford some nice/fun things others my age typically can’t.

First C7 was my only car at 24. Definitely wasn’t practical and would not recommend for anyone in my situation at that time. The ZR1 is a track/weekend/sunny day toy as I now have a company truck to daily drive.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 PM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I’m 34. I bought my 06 C6Z brand new a week after I graduated from college at 22 just because I had no debt. It was the best thing I ever did for my credit. Lol.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by WhatWouldDimeDo
I tried to edit the title but it's not possible. At this point I regret posting the question at all. I know there are other guys in their 20's...but the majority are not. I figured this place would have an opinion on why.

Done and taken care of for you!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:10 PM
coletrickle35
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Youngest Stingray owner? Well I was 22 when I bought my 74 Stingray. Sometimes I wish I still had that vette.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 PM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Threads like this always reek of a person seeking a cookie for being able to afford an expensive car at a young age. I think the answer to the question is pretty obvious.

Here's your cookie, it even has sprinkles on it

​​​​

Last edited by 555ctsv; 01-10-2019 at 10:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 555ctsv:
CocoVette (01-12-2019), nmerhaut (01-11-2019), Perf n Restore (01-12-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:44 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Congratulations on the great car you are able to have. Enjoy it and be safe. I like seeing young drivers in C7's. In fact, I believe its the C7 styling that is turning on the younger generation as more often than not, the person that comes up to me while I'm filling the tank up is a younger person.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:28 PM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default That ZR1 is nice!

I'm 26 years old. Have yet to see anybody around my age with a C7. I remember the gentleman at NCM told me that I was about half the age of the people who usually come in to take delivery.

Why is this?

Just something I have noticed. I love talking to anybody who wants to check the car out and always open it up for them to sit in, look under the hood, start up, etc.

First off nice ZR1. I’m in Hampton not far from you so hope to see it up close at some of the local events.

You will start seeing more base C7 owners under 30 shortly after the C8 is released..same thing happens with every hot sports car. For example I’ve seen it with the early 80s 300 ZX back in late 80’s and now with the Dodge Challengers.

Unless you have a great job, invented something or money from parents you won’t see many younger people under 35 driving these machines at least not in the 1st 5 year run.
  • A 65k to 75k car is now 35k to 50k and this summer they will be 30k to 40k ...next year even lower
  • in 5 years car will be old school and teenagers and 20 somethings will snap em up
  • things will level off and the higher end, special edition and high performance models will keep more value
Here’s an example:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=228676934

When new that car was over 70 k and probably had an ADM——additional dealer mark up..now it’s affordable and still looks good for 5 years old. Thousands more examples coming.

I’m 47 and my 16 year old son technically thinks it’s his car or going to be his in a few years .so I guess if I give him the title at 21 then he would be one of the youngest...ha ha he can dream.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:42 AM
90eclipsegsx
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 22 and and just bought a new Grand sport. I had a c6 before it but I'm definitely in the minority.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,288 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on getting a C7 at such a young age. The '14 Stingrays can be found for $40K or so (sometimes less) so they are on par with some other new cars.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:18 AM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 90eclipsegsx
I'm 22 and and just bought a new Grand sport. I had a c6 before it but I'm definitely in the minority.
Nice! I wanted a C6 when I started looking. I still do!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:22 AM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
Threads like this always reek of a person seeking a cookie for being able to afford an expensive car at a young age. I think the answer to the question is pretty obvious.

Here's your cookie, it even has sprinkles on it

​​​​
Yeah, that wasn't my original intent, now even as I read my original post I cringe at myself. I should have asked in a different way like..."Younger C7 Crowd" or something. I don't know...thanks for the cookie though.

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
I think it would be a combination of a few things. First would be price, it's just not that common for a person in their 20's to be able to afford any newer Corvette. Second kind of goes with the first, in that they are not very practical for a daily so for most it's a second car. So a person in their 20's might be able to afford a used C7 but not a used C7 and a Honda Accord or F150 etc. Third, would go back to overall budget and the cost of Insurance when you are that age with a car like a Corvette. I now personally, even I was able to afford only one car, was in my 20's and single, it still would not be a Corvette or any 2 seater for that matter.
That is a good point I didn't think about. Gotta have a practical vehicle too.

Originally Posted by coletrickle35
Youngest Stingray owner? Well I was 22 when I bought my 74 Stingray. Sometimes I wish I still had that vette.
It was about C7's in general. How you word your title is very important I am realizing.

Hearing my Dad and his friends say that same thing has made me hang on to any car I buy, I can't bring myself to sell one. Even a 1995 Caprice 9C1 that I drove a few times and then parked for a few years. What if it becomes cool and I don't have mine!?

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Congrats OP! I bought my first vette a decade ago at 40. Prior to that I was too busy buying companies, to worry about superfluous things. But, I've made up for lost time, with an array of vettes and exotics. FWIW, I still fancy myself as 18 from the waist down
Definitely a Quagmire thing to say! lol

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
I’m an entrepreneur and own two companies. Thankfully they are both doing very well and I can afford some nice/fun things others my age typically can’t.

First C7 was my only car at 24. Definitely wasn’t practical and would not recommend for anyone in my situation at that time. The ZR1 is a track/weekend/sunny day toy as I now have a company truck to daily drive.
Glad things are going well! C7 would be nice as an only car when friends move. I have an old Ram 3500 and I always get hit up around moving time.

Originally Posted by hemistar1

First off nice ZR1. I’m in Hampton not far from you so hope to see it up close at some of the local events.

You will start seeing more base C7 owners under 30 shortly after the C8 is released..same thing happens with every hot sports car. For example I’ve seen it with the early 80s 300 ZX back in late 80’s and now with the Dodge Challengers.

Unless you have a great job, invented something or money from parents you won’t see many younger people under 35 driving these machines at least not in the 1st 5 year run.
  • A 65k to 75k car is now 35k to 50k and this summer they will be 30k to 40k ...next year even lower
  • in 5 years car will be old school and teenagers and 20 somethings will snap em up
  • things will level off and the higher end, special edition and high performance models will keep more value
Here’s an example:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=228676934

When new that car was over 70 k and probably had an ADM——additional dealer mark up..now it’s affordable and still looks good for 5 years old. Thousands more examples coming.

I’m 47 and my 16 year old son technically thinks it’s his car or going to be his in a few years .so I guess if I give him the title at 21 then he would be one of the youngest...ha ha he can dream.

This makes a lot of sense, especially the Challenger example. A couple years and I'll have some 'vette buddies closer to my age to act dumb with.

I thought you could get a learner's permit at 16? He needs that title now!

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Congrats on getting a C7 at such a young age. The '14 Stingrays can be found for $40K or so (sometimes less) so they are on par with some other new cars.
Indeed. Can't wait to find somebody with one in my area! Gonna wave them down and tell them that we're obligated to be C7 bros.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-11-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote button (middle button, lower right hand corner) to respond to multiple people with one response.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 AM
90eclipsegsx
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! I wanted a C6 when I started looking. I still do!
I liked it but I had a z51 and wanted an upgrade. I decided to test drive a c7 and the build quality upgrade was a big plus for me.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

New C7 Young and don't know how to Multi quote
At 45 was first Corvette used and multi quoted...
Just ate your cookie...umm
Come On Man!

Last edited by DALE#3; 01-11-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:49 AM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Originally Posted by DALE#3
New C7 Young and don't know how to Multi quote
At 45 was first Corvette used and multi quoted...
Just ate your cookie...umm
Come On Man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1NwW3GCn7k
Multi quote? That a new game on your Atari?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:03 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 416 Likes on 288 Posts

Multi quote? That a new game on your Atari?
LOL, you have a-lot of "old" guys here stuck in there ways. I suspect you won't be here for long but YAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo ooooooooo!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 AM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Originally Posted by V Vette
LOL, you have a-lot of "old" guys here stuck in there ways. I suspect you won't be here for long but YAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo ooooooooo!!!
I know, I know. It was just a joke. Why wouldn't I be here for long?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:02 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

I know, I know. It was just a joke. Why wouldn't I be here for long?
We all joke too much! Welcome aboard!
The following users liked this post:
WhatWouldDimeDo (05-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Youngest Stingray Owner?

Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

I tried to edit the title but it's not possible. At this point I regret posting the question at all. I know there are other guys in their 20's...but the majority are not. I figured this place would have an opinion on why.
Very few folks in their mid-late 20s I know have any sort of $50k car, and the two that do are Suburbans with a pile of kids. By and large, people at that age don't have/don't want to spend that kind of money on a car. Especially so, a two seat sports car that has little practicality and in many parts of the country is sitting in storage for a few months a year.

Originally Posted by jumpmanmb87
I need answers on what careers said young people do for a living to afford such car?
Eh, I'm an automotive engineer, and out of college was in aerospace. I'm 32, with my credit and income I could easily go buy one brand new if I wanted, and probably could have for the last 6-8 years. Between the loan and insurance, though, I'd be giving up a lot of other activities, and it just isn't worth it to me.

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-11-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Very few folks in their mid-late 20s I know have any sort of $50k car, and the two that do are Suburbans with a pile of kids. By and large, people at that age don't have/don't want to spend that kind of money on a car. Especially so, a two seat sports car that has little practicality and in many parts of the country is sitting in storage for a few months a year.

Eh, I'm an automotive engineer, and out of college was in aerospace. I'm 32, with my credit and income I could easily go buy one brand new if I wanted, and probably could have for the last 6-8 years. Between the loan and insurance, though, I'd be giving up a lot of other activities, and it just isn't worth it to me.
Damn INSURANCE companies!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Yeah, that wasn't my original intent, now even as I read my original post I cringe at myself. I should have asked in a different way like..."Younger C7 Crowd" or something. I don't know...thanks for the cookie though.
Ok I like this guy now

Quick Reply: Youngest Stingray Owner?