Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Youngest Stingray Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

If you worked hard and EARNED a C7 at a young age ON YOUR OWN, then I absolutely tip my hat to you and you have earned my respect. Very cool that a young man has a love for a Corvette...very cool indeed!

Now - if you are a trust fund baby, or mommy and daddy gave you a bucket of money to go buy a Corvette just to keep you quiet and happy - then forgive me, you may drive a Corvette, but you haven't EARNED it.

I dont know your particular story or situation, so Im not going to assume or judge you at all - if you care to share how you came into the money to buy such a car at a young age (even a used one) - I would love to hear your story.

I was 26 years old earning over $200k a year when my friends were earning $40k...why? Cause I started my own business and worked my fingers to the bone, day and night. By the time I was 28, I had bought 3 Porsche and a 3800 sq ft house. Rare? Absolutely...but it can be done for sure. Im not saying this to impress you but rather to impress upon you (and other young folks) to not sit around and act entitled or for your parents to flip the bill for you...go out and earn your own way - go out and make your mark, take a chance, learn that its ok to fail...cause that is how you learn to succeed and sadly just so many of the younger generation have never seen or felt failure...because they grew up earning a "participation trophy" where everyone wins...and that is not how life works.

I hope your Vette gives you years of enjoyment!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Back in late Dec, 1964 I just turned 21 and bought a new ‘65 C2 Vert. In those days mostly younger guys, few girls, drove Corvettes. The older guys were more into Buicks and Cadillacs. Now that ‘us younger guys’ are up there we long for those bygone days and buy Corvettes still today.

P.S. Marsha’s father had a yellow Caddy Vert, like the one below, we loved to cruise around to the drive-ins on Fri/Sat nights.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:23 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Damn INSURANCE companies!!!!!!!!
Hmm, for S&G I just punched in a 2018 Stingray. Surprisingly not as bad as I expected, under $200 a month full coverage for me, albeit as a second car on the policy.

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Nate280z
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m 27 bought a c6 z06 last year , recently traded it in for a c7. I love it!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 384 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Hmm, for S&G I just punched in a 2018 Stingray. Surprisingly not as bad as I expected, under $200 a month full coverage for me, albeit as a second car on the policy.
WOW, you're probably well off, almost 2G a year!!! Lets NOT forget he is also MUCH younger than you...So the rip off insurance companies take advantage of that...too.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
WOW, you're probably well off, almost 2G a year!!! Lets NOT forget he is also MUCH younger than you...So the rip off insurance companies take advantage of that...too.
No doubt. Michigan kinda sucks for insurance, so its all relative. Full coverage on my daily Fusion is around $110 a month, for reference on my "not as bad as expected" comment, and PLPD on anything as a standalone car policy starts around $90 a month from my experience.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Rsaodom
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

A friend of mine bought a new C3 Vette when he graduated high school by selling his stamp collection. A few years later I also got my first Vette. Then family started and until we were empty nesters again, didn’t think a Corvette would be in the cards. Then after realizing it can be a toy and not primary transportation , I am on my forth one with my Z06. Once you get the fever, it may linger, but the love of Corvettes never goes away. At least for me. Congrats OP at getting the fever early!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by 555ctsv

Threads like this always reek of a person seeking a cookie for being able to afford an expensive car at a young age. I think the answer to the question is pretty obvious.

Here's your cookie, it even has sprinkles on it

.​​​​
555ctsv...

That's PRICELESS! You crack me up buddy! I'm thinking you are perhaps a master at that parlor game called BINGO

Old 01-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpmanmb87
I need answers on what careers said young people do for a living to afford such car?
The Internet and high-tech arena have created quite a few opportunities for young people to acquire considerable income/wealth early on.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 384 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
No doubt. Michigan kinda sucks for insurance, so its all relative. Full coverage on my daily Fusion is around $110 a month, for reference on my "not as bad as expected" comment, and PLPD on anything as a standalone car policy starts around $90 a month from my experience.
I know, in NY and FL its getting out of control. I guess its true that the Insurance and Pharmaceutic companies are the new oil companies...
Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nate280z
i’m 27 bought a c6 z06 last year , recently traded it in for a c7. I love it!
booya!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM
andrewfclapper
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that buying a relatively expensive car when you are young is a huge opportunity cost, and it becomes less so as you get older. There are plenty of career fields that would let someone in their 20's afford nice cars, but most of the people who are smart enough to get into those fields understand compounding interest and how much a $55k purchase is actually worth, if you had instead invested that money in the market for a few years. If you can hold off on buying it for even 10 years (and your 30's is plenty young enough to buy a Corvette) your money would have more than doubled with normal investments. If you can wait until you are the average Corvette buyer's age, your inital money would be a factor of 8 larger! So to buy a corvette in your 50's, you would only need to put roughly $7k in the market and wait. If you buy a corvette in your 50's, life and health are a lot less certain, and your opportunity cost is certainly decreased. You never know how much longer you will live, so certainly strike a balance as you see fit, but I think if you asked most people if they could have a corvette when they were 25 OR a corvette in their 40's and a fully funded retirement, for the same amount of money, they would wait a little while on the corvette and get the fully funded retirement too.

The other reason why is because lots of young people who are making their careers are moving around a lot and traveling to get experience, and they don't want to subject their cars to the abuse that that lifestyle comes with (airport parking lots, long periods of parking, etc.)

When I was 22 I came back from my first deployment the C7 had just been announced and I had the cash in hand to buy, and I wanted one so bad, I even emailed back and forth with Criswell. I have probably lost out on some fun since I didn't buy, but I left that money in the market and now it has more than doubled, I have used that money as collateral to secure loans on income producing properties, and now my wife and I are well on our way to financial independence. As Dave Ramsey says, you want to live like nobody else now, so you can live like nobody else later.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I bought my first Vette at 30...and I was in my mid 30's when I took museum delivery, and I was told the same. I think it has as much to do with financial ability as anything.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Jax21
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Bought mine last year at 27.

Over 30 mpg: check
Cheap to insure: check
Fits two sets of golf clubs: check

Practical enough for me!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

I bought my first Corvette at 17, a new 1975 silver w/red leather. Quite a bit different than today as it was only around $7600. But that was A LOT in 1975, especially since I paid for it from savings cutting grass, rebuilding small engines, shooting ground hogs, delivering newspapers for 8-9 years.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:59 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatWouldDimeDo
I'm 26 years old. Have yet to see anybody around my age with a C7. I remember the gentleman at NCM told me that I was about half the age of the people who usually come in to take delivery.

Why is this?

Just something I have noticed. I love talking to anybody who wants to check the car out and always open it up for them to sit in, look under the hood, start up, etc.
Are you seriously asking why a car that starts at 55k doesn't have many 20 year old buyers?
The following users liked this post:
speed4tu (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:31 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Seen from both sides

My first "fun" car was in 1986 when I was 31, a teacher for all of 5 years and bought a new Honda CRX Si for 9 grand. Now, my son, 32 is
an Amazonian working/living in Seattle and without going into specifics he can buy pretty well whatever he wants limited only by time
and garage space....and he takes joy in pointing that out to me (which I enjoy as we share the passion though his is Japanese cars, building
and racing).
Enjoy the car, be proud of your ability to afford it (and the good taste you have shown in choosing it) and don't let any of these old farts tell you otherwise.

Signed,

An Old Fart

Get notified of new replies

To Youngest Stingray Owner?

Old 01-11-2019, 06:19 PM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
My first "fun" car was in 1986 when I was 31, a teacher for all of 5 years and bought a new Honda CRX Si for 9 grand. Now, my son, 32 is
an Amazonian working/living in Seattle and without going into specifics he can buy pretty well whatever he wants limited only by time
and garage space....and he takes joy in pointing that out to me (which I enjoy as we share the passion though his is Japanese cars, building
and racing).
Enjoy the car, be proud of your ability to afford it (and the good taste you have shown in choosing it) and don't let any of these old farts tell you otherwise.

Signed,

An Old Fart
WILL DO!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:23 PM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mayor111
If you worked hard and EARNED a C7 at a young age ON YOUR OWN, then I absolutely tip my hat to you and you have earned my respect. Very cool that a young man has a love for a Corvette...very cool indeed!

Now - if you are a trust fund baby, or mommy and daddy gave you a bucket of money to go buy a Corvette just to keep you quiet and happy - then forgive me, you may drive a Corvette, but you haven't EARNED it.

I dont know your particular story or situation, so Im not going to assume or judge you at all - if you care to share how you came into the money to buy such a car at a young age (even a used one) - I would love to hear your story.

I was 26 years old earning over $200k a year when my friends were earning $40k...why? Cause I started my own business and worked my fingers to the bone, day and night. By the time I was 28, I had bought 3 Porsche and a 3800 sq ft house. Rare? Absolutely...but it can be done for sure. Im not saying this to impress you but rather to impress upon you (and other young folks) to not sit around and act entitled or for your parents to flip the bill for you...go out and earn your own way - go out and make your mark, take a chance, learn that its ok to fail...cause that is how you learn to succeed and sadly just so many of the younger generation have never seen or felt failure...because they grew up earning a "participation trophy" where everyone wins...and that is not how life works.

I hope your Vette gives you years of enjoyment!
I must have earned it because Chevy took my money without hesitation...so I think I'm good!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:18 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadRS
I think the answer is pretty obvious. How many people in their 20's can afford a car that costs $120K-$140K?
Well, I bought my C7 3LT for $66K..... new.... a new C7 3LT can be had for less than what I paid..... your figures are way off. And, FWIW I bought my first Corvette at 21, my first Porsche at 23.... and I'm a working stiff I don't come from money.....

My next door neighbor is 24, she's had her Stingray for about a year, bought it herself. Owns half interest in a restaurant.

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 01-11-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quick Reply: Youngest Stingray Owner?