Youngest Stingray Owner? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Youngest Stingray Owner?

Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 AM
  #41  
Mayor111
CF Senior Member
 
Mayor111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Easton PA
Posts: 1,448
Thanked 410 Times in 269 Posts
Default

If you worked hard and EARNED a C7 at a young age ON YOUR OWN, then I absolutely tip my hat to you and you have earned my respect. Very cool that a young man has a love for a Corvette...very cool indeed!

Now - if you are a trust fund baby, or mommy and daddy gave you a bucket of money to go buy a Corvette just to keep you quiet and happy - then forgive me, you may drive a Corvette, but you haven't EARNED it.

I dont know your particular story or situation, so Im not going to assume or judge you at all - if you care to share how you came into the money to buy such a car at a young age (even a used one) - I would love to hear your story.

I was 26 years old earning over $200k a year when my friends were earning $40k...why? Cause I started my own business and worked my fingers to the bone, day and night. By the time I was 28, I had bought 3 Porsche and a 3800 sq ft house. Rare? Absolutely...but it can be done for sure. Im not saying this to impress you but rather to impress upon you (and other young folks) to not sit around and act entitled or for your parents to flip the bill for you...go out and earn your own way - go out and make your mark, take a chance, learn that its ok to fail...cause that is how you learn to succeed and sadly just so many of the younger generation have never seen or felt failure...because they grew up earning a "participation trophy" where everyone wins...and that is not how life works.

I hope your Vette gives you years of enjoyment!
Mayor111 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM
  #42  
CRABBYJ
CF Senior Member
 
CRABBYJ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: SouthEast PA
Posts: 2,870
Thanked 304 Times in 188 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist
Default

Back in late Dec, 1964 I just turned 21 and bought a new ‘65 C2 Vert. In those days mostly younger guys, few girls, drove Corvettes. The older guys were more into Buicks and Cadillacs. Now that ‘us younger guys’ are up there we long for those bygone days and buy Corvettes still today.

P.S. Marsha’s father had a yellow Caddy Vert, like the one below, we loved to cruise around to the drive-ins on Fri/Sat nights.


CRABBYJ is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:23 AM
  #43  
jefnvk
CF Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: AA/Metro Detroit
Posts: 170
Thanked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by V Vette View Post
Damn INSURANCE companies!!!!!!!!
Hmm, for S&G I just punched in a 2018 Stingray. Surprisingly not as bad as I expected, under $200 a month full coverage for me, albeit as a second car on the policy.

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-11-2019 at 11:23 AM.
jefnvk is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM
  #44  
Nate280z
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Iím 27 bought a c6 z06 last year , recently traded it in for a c7. I love it!
Nate280z is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:49 AM
  #45  
V Vette
CF Senior Member
 
V Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Coral, Fl
Posts: 4,368
Thanked 80 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Hmm, for S&G I just punched in a 2018 Stingray. Surprisingly not as bad as I expected, under $200 a month full coverage for me, albeit as a second car on the policy.
WOW, you're probably well off, almost 2G a year!!! Lets NOT forget he is also MUCH younger than you...So the rip off insurance companies take advantage of that...too.
V Vette is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM
  #46  
jefnvk
CF Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: AA/Metro Detroit
Posts: 170
Thanked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by V Vette View Post
WOW, you're probably well off, almost 2G a year!!! Lets NOT forget he is also MUCH younger than you...So the rip off insurance companies take advantage of that...too.
No doubt. Michigan kinda sucks for insurance, so its all relative. Full coverage on my daily Fusion is around $110 a month, for reference on my "not as bad as expected" comment, and PLPD on anything as a standalone car policy starts around $90 a month from my experience.
jefnvk is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jefnvk For This Useful Post:
V Vette (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
  #47  
Rsaodom
CF Senior Member
 
Rsaodom's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 309
Thanked 90 Times in 69 Posts
Default

A friend of mine bought a new C3 Vette when he graduated high school by selling his stamp collection. A few years later I also got my first Vette. Then family started and until we were empty nesters again, didn’t think a Corvette would be in the cards. Then after realizing it can be a toy and not primary transportation , I am on my forth one with my Z06. Once you get the fever, it may linger, but the love of Corvettes never goes away. At least for me. Congrats OP at getting the fever early!
Rsaodom is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM
  #48  
HorsePower Junkie
CF Senior Member
 
HorsePower Junkie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,732
Thanked 175 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 555ctsv View Post

Threads like this always reek of a person seeking a cookie for being able to afford an expensive car at a young age. I think the answer to the question is pretty obvious.

Here's your cookie, it even has sprinkles on it


.​​​​
555ctsv...

That's PRICELESS! You crack me up buddy! I'm thinking you are perhaps a master at that parlor game called BINGO




.
HorsePower Junkie is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 PM
  #49  
Kevin A Jones
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Kevin A Jones's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,428
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,012 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jumpmanmb87 View Post
I need answers on what careers said young people do for a living to afford such car?
The Internet and high-tech arena have created quite a few opportunities for young people to acquire considerable income/wealth early on.
Kevin A Jones is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 PM
  #50  
V Vette
CF Senior Member
 
V Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Coral, Fl
Posts: 4,368
Thanked 80 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
No doubt. Michigan kinda sucks for insurance, so its all relative. Full coverage on my daily Fusion is around $110 a month, for reference on my "not as bad as expected" comment, and PLPD on anything as a standalone car policy starts around $90 a month from my experience.
I know, in NY and FL its getting out of control. I guess its true that the Insurance and Pharmaceutic companies are the new oil companies...
V Vette is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:07 PM
  #51  
WhatWouldDimeDo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WhatWouldDimeDo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 38
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by nate280z View Post
iím 27 bought a c6 z06 last year , recently traded it in for a c7. I love it!
booya!
WhatWouldDimeDo is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM
  #52  
andrewfclapper
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that buying a relatively expensive car when you are young is a huge opportunity cost, and it becomes less so as you get older. There are plenty of career fields that would let someone in their 20's afford nice cars, but most of the people who are smart enough to get into those fields understand compounding interest and how much a $55k purchase is actually worth, if you had instead invested that money in the market for a few years. If you can hold off on buying it for even 10 years (and your 30's is plenty young enough to buy a Corvette) your money would have more than doubled with normal investments. If you can wait until you are the average Corvette buyer's age, your inital money would be a factor of 8 larger! So to buy a corvette in your 50's, you would only need to put roughly $7k in the market and wait. If you buy a corvette in your 50's, life and health are a lot less certain, and your opportunity cost is certainly decreased. You never know how much longer you will live, so certainly strike a balance as you see fit, but I think if you asked most people if they could have a corvette when they were 25 OR a corvette in their 40's and a fully funded retirement, for the same amount of money, they would wait a little while on the corvette and get the fully funded retirement too.

The other reason why is because lots of young people who are making their careers are moving around a lot and traveling to get experience, and they don't want to subject their cars to the abuse that that lifestyle comes with (airport parking lots, long periods of parking, etc.)

When I was 22 I came back from my first deployment the C7 had just been announced and I had the cash in hand to buy, and I wanted one so bad, I even emailed back and forth with Criswell. I have probably lost out on some fun since I didn't buy, but I left that money in the market and now it has more than doubled, I have used that money as collateral to secure loans on income producing properties, and now my wife and I are well on our way to financial independence. As Dave Ramsey says, you want to live like nobody else now, so you can live like nobody else later.
andrewfclapper is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:44 PM
  #53  
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member
 
Big Lebowski's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: West Burbs of Chicago IL
Posts: 3,294
Thanked 386 Times in 210 Posts
Default

I bought my first Vette at 30...and I was in my mid 30's when I took museum delivery, and I was told the same. I think it has as much to do with financial ability as anything.
Big Lebowski is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM
  #54  
Jax21
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 43
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Bought mine last year at 27.

Over 30 mpg: check
Cheap to insure: check
Fits two sets of golf clubs: check

Practical enough for me!
Jax21 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:34 PM
  #55  
Kevin A Jones
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Kevin A Jones's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,428
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,012 Posts
Default

I bought my first Corvette at 17, a new 1975 silver w/red leather. Quite a bit different than today as it was only around $7600. But that was A LOT in 1975, especially since I paid for it from savings cutting grass, rebuilding small engines, shooting ground hogs, delivering newspapers for 8-9 years.
Kevin A Jones is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:59 PM
  #56  
spireland
CF Senior Member
 
spireland's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: SF Bay Area CA
Posts: 506
Thanked 176 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WhatWouldDimeDo View Post
I'm 26 years old. Have yet to see anybody around my age with a C7. I remember the gentleman at NCM told me that I was about half the age of the people who usually come in to take delivery.

Why is this?

Just something I have noticed. I love talking to anybody who wants to check the car out and always open it up for them to sit in, look under the hood, start up, etc.
Are you seriously asking why a car that starts at 55k doesn't have many 20 year old buyers?
spireland is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to spireland For This Useful Post:
speed4tu (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 PM
  #57  
dbirdhouse1
CF Senior Member
 
dbirdhouse1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Bonney Lake Washington
Posts: 3,682
Thanked 278 Times in 221 Posts
Default Seen from both sides

My first "fun" car was in 1986 when I was 31, a teacher for all of 5 years and bought a new Honda CRX Si for 9 grand. Now, my son, 32 is
an Amazonian working/living in Seattle and without going into specifics he can buy pretty well whatever he wants limited only by time
and garage space....and he takes joy in pointing that out to me (which I enjoy as we share the passion though his is Japanese cars, building
and racing).
Enjoy the car, be proud of your ability to afford it (and the good taste you have shown in choosing it) and don't let any of these old farts tell you otherwise.

Signed,

An Old Fart
dbirdhouse1 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:19 PM
  #58  
WhatWouldDimeDo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WhatWouldDimeDo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 38
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1 View Post
My first "fun" car was in 1986 when I was 31, a teacher for all of 5 years and bought a new Honda CRX Si for 9 grand. Now, my son, 32 is
an Amazonian working/living in Seattle and without going into specifics he can buy pretty well whatever he wants limited only by time
and garage space....and he takes joy in pointing that out to me (which I enjoy as we share the passion though his is Japanese cars, building
and racing).
Enjoy the car, be proud of your ability to afford it (and the good taste you have shown in choosing it) and don't let any of these old farts tell you otherwise.

Signed,

An Old Fart
WILL DO!
WhatWouldDimeDo is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:23 PM
  #59  
WhatWouldDimeDo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WhatWouldDimeDo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 38
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Mayor111 View Post
If you worked hard and EARNED a C7 at a young age ON YOUR OWN, then I absolutely tip my hat to you and you have earned my respect. Very cool that a young man has a love for a Corvette...very cool indeed!

Now - if you are a trust fund baby, or mommy and daddy gave you a bucket of money to go buy a Corvette just to keep you quiet and happy - then forgive me, you may drive a Corvette, but you haven't EARNED it.

I dont know your particular story or situation, so Im not going to assume or judge you at all - if you care to share how you came into the money to buy such a car at a young age (even a used one) - I would love to hear your story.

I was 26 years old earning over $200k a year when my friends were earning $40k...why? Cause I started my own business and worked my fingers to the bone, day and night. By the time I was 28, I had bought 3 Porsche and a 3800 sq ft house. Rare? Absolutely...but it can be done for sure. Im not saying this to impress you but rather to impress upon you (and other young folks) to not sit around and act entitled or for your parents to flip the bill for you...go out and earn your own way - go out and make your mark, take a chance, learn that its ok to fail...cause that is how you learn to succeed and sadly just so many of the younger generation have never seen or felt failure...because they grew up earning a "participation trophy" where everyone wins...and that is not how life works.

I hope your Vette gives you years of enjoyment!
I must have earned it because Chevy took my money without hesitation...so I think I'm good!
WhatWouldDimeDo is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:18 PM
  #60  
4thC4at60
CF Senior Member
 
4thC4at60's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Commerce Texas
Posts: 3,322
Thanked 547 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1BadRS View Post
I think the answer is pretty obvious. How many people in their 20's can afford a car that costs $120K-$140K?
Well, I bought my C7 3LT for $66K..... new.... a new C7 3LT can be had for less than what I paid..... your figures are way off. And, FWIW I bought my first Corvette at 21, my first Porsche at 23.... and I'm a working stiff I don't come from money.....

My next door neighbor is 24, she's had her Stingray for about a year, bought it herself. Owns half interest in a restaurant.

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 01-11-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Additional info
4thC4at60 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Youngest Stingray Owner?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: