Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Youngest Stingray Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

24 when i bought my c7 new. This was 4 years ago. I still have the car. Loooooving it. Also east coast. I couldnt swing a z06 at that time otherwise i would lol.

I am 28 now and if I had a choice to do it over again, i probably wouldnt buy the c7 as my first car. Do i regret it? No i dont. As I grew older and became more financial literate, I learned how to manage my finances a lot better, embraced frugality and most importantly to be humble.

congrats on your new car. It is a world of fun. May you enjoy it in good health.

Also from the east coast nyc.
The following users liked this post:
jonparks (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:37 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewfclapper
One thing that nobody has mentioned is that buying a relatively expensive car when you are young is a huge opportunity cost, and it becomes less so as you get older. There are plenty of career fields that would let someone in their 20's afford nice cars, but most of the people who are smart enough to get into those fields understand compounding interest and how much a $55k purchase is actually worth, if you had instead invested that money in the market for a few years. If you can hold off on buying it for even 10 years (and your 30's is plenty young enough to buy a Corvette) your money would have more than doubled with normal investments. If you can wait until you are the average Corvette buyer's age, your inital money would be a factor of 8 larger! So to buy a corvette in your 50's, you would only need to put roughly $7k in the market and wait. If you buy a corvette in your 50's, life and health are a lot less certain, and your opportunity cost is certainly decreased. You never know how much longer you will live, so certainly strike a balance as you see fit, but I think if you asked most people if they could have a corvette when they were 25 OR a corvette in their 40's and a fully funded retirement, for the same amount of money, they would wait a little while on the corvette and get the fully funded retirement too.

The other reason why is because lots of young people who are making their careers are moving around a lot and traveling to get experience, and they don't want to subject their cars to the abuse that that lifestyle comes with (airport parking lots, long periods of parking, etc.)

When I was 22 I came back from my first deployment the C7 had just been announced and I had the cash in hand to buy, and I wanted one so bad, I even emailed back and forth with Criswell. I have probably lost out on some fun since I didn't buy, but I left that money in the market and now it has more than doubled, I have used that money as collateral to secure loans on income producing properties, and now my wife and I are well on our way to financial independence. As Dave Ramsey says, you want to live like nobody else now, so you can live like nobody else later.
lol yes but dave ramsey also said to pay for everything in cash. You cant quote his teaching with a contradiction behind it. Dave ramsey is good at giving advice for the people in debt that literally has no common sense financially. His investment advice is worse than any average joe. That being said, I enjoy his show and agree with him to a certain extent but I definitely do not agree with a lot of things that he says.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:44 PM
zcobrausa
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Put 10 to 15% of your net pay away religiously when you graduate from college or get a job and enjoy the rest. You are only young once.
The following users liked this post:
jonparks (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by AceG
I am 28 now and if I had a choice to do it over again, i probably wouldnt buy the c7 as my first car. Do i regret it? No i dont. As I grew older and became more financial literate, I learned how to manage my finances a lot better, embraced frugality and most importantly to be humble.
+1. I learned that same lesson with a new Mustang when I was younger. Something I always wanted, something I could afford and bought after getting my first real job out of college, but man after six months the new wore off and looking at what I was spend every month and where that could be going, well when it got rear ended and totalled and insurance paid me out I was kinda relieved.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 PM
CocoVette
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 90 Posts

I was 30 when I got my vette, granted it was not brand new. When I see it every day, it's a reminder to work hard and be grateful. I'm sure if you ask me my career you'd find it hard to believe I could afford one. especially a job left me with no student debt. I think there is definitely a balance of saving for the future, and living in the moment.
​​​​​​

Last edited by CocoVette; 01-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:41 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatWouldDimeDo
Multi quote? That a new game on your Atari?

Photo of car or not real
Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 AM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3

Photo of car or not real

Are you feeling it now Mr. Krabs?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatWouldDimeDo

Are you feeling it now Mr. Krabs?
Feeling what?Krabs? Good for you...That is all.Playing Duck Hunt on my Atari

Last edited by DALE#3; 01-13-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:13 PM
WhatWouldDimeDo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Feeling what?Krabs? Good for you...That is all.Playing Duck Hunt on my Atari

Old 01-13-2019, 06:51 PM
Thatsok
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadRS
I think the answer is pretty obvious. How many people in their 20's can afford a car that costs $120K-$140K?
used stingray goes around 35k to 45k

Old 01-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Dang it I loved Duck Hunt. That's Nintendo tho... Not Atari. Lol!

Quick Reply: Youngest Stingray Owner?